Bois - The Bruery

BoisBois

The Bruery visit their website

Old Ale |  15.00% ABV

Beer added by: OBeerMeGreatOne on 05-14-2013

The traditional fifth anniversary gift is something made of wood, or "Bois" in French.

Bois is our fifth anniversary ale, loosely brewed in the English-style Old Ale tradition using our house Belgian yeast strain and then blended using the solera method. A portion of each of our anniversary ales is saved in our barrels and blended in with the next year's production, providing more complexity and depth of character that comes with age. Layered with complex flavors of dark fruit,vanilla, oak, and burnt sugar, Bois is a robust ale, surely the perfect beer to mark this major milestone.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a hazy burnt sienna; not much of a head but that is true to form for a 15% ABV beer

Smell: Sharp and boozy, with layers of Bourbon, vanilla, caramel and dried cherries underneath

Taste: Boozy on the front end, with Bourbon, caramel, dried cherries making up the front end; very sweet, with some treacle and vanilla development in the middle; after the swallow, the alcohol re-asserts itself, bringing along a recurrence of the flavors detected in the front end; caramel brings up the rear

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with low to moderate carbonation; very boozy

Overall: Not surprised by all the booziness at this stage of the beer's development (and part of me said wait a few years before cracking it open); I think this will be a fascinating beer to watch develop and hope I have a chance to re-visit on somebody else's nickel the next go round

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Has it really been five years since The Bruery opened its doors? Time flies when you're brewing fun, and Bois is just one of many that The Bruery has done. A small 4 ounce sample poured at the source. On to the beer:

Chocolate brown colored and hardly given a head at all. A bit of white lace rings around the sides of the glass. Not many legs stick around the glass, a little unexpected for a beer of its strength. The aroma of Bois is a winner, first bringing a succulent base of fudge. Coconut and booze add to the depth, along with white grapes and bourbon soaked in oak. The taste is less focused on the fudge and more focused on raisins, boozy grapes, a soft roastiness, toasted coconut, and a little of that alcohol pushing its head through. Still a great overall however. It's a full bodied beer with a low amount of carbonation of booze that gently pinches.

The Bruery, in a nutshell, is in this beer. Barrel aged, blending different vintages of the same base, and delectable. A beer that's sure to give you some "wood". Happy 5 Patrick and Co!

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a murky brown color with a light tan head which quickly fades to a ring of foam.

S: Smells like a great combination of boozy wood, bourbon, fig and brown sugar. Very sweet, with toffee and molasses. Almost a maple syrup.

T: Similar flavors to the aroma, but with brighter fruit. Cherry, raisin, apple and fig are prominent. Booze and oak contrast the overall very sweet beer. Molasses and maple lend to the sticky, lingering finish. Reminds me of French toast.

M: Medium-thick but very sticky. The lingering stickiness is tempered somewhat by a notable boozy heat.

O: Fantastic beer. Very much a desert beer. Incredibly sweet and incredibly complex.

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

3.89/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours a nice mahogany with a decent sized but fizzy light light brown head. Head fizzes away fast, almost soda-like. Decent retention but zero lacing.

S: Huge, huge, huge sickly sweet caramel. Toffee and boozy raisins. Sharp, stinging alcohol when swirled. Basically a bourbon and sherry combo at first glance.

T: Super sweet caramel and toffee up front. I can't overstate how sweet this is. I have had some seriously sweet beers in my day, I can practically mainline creme brulee but this is over the top. It's like caramel syrup with some toffee and molasses. Heavy, heavy on the rum soaked raisins. Burnt sugars in there too. In the finish, very drying oak and alcohol in the aftertaste sucks all of the moisture out of your mouth.

M: Heavy, heavy, cloyingly sweet and syrupy.

O: I've had Cuir, Fruet and now Bois. I loved the first two but this one just isn't hitting me right. I just re-read my review on Fruet and I mentioned at how well the 15% ABV was hidden. This beer is the opposite, it's a booze bomb. It's honestly hard to drink, a sipper for sure. It's still good, don't get me wrong, it's just that the booze and the sweetness overpowers everything in this beer. I might not be in the right mood for this one tonight, that's all I can think. Luckily I have a bottle of the rye version of this to try another day, maybe I will be ready for that one.

4.31/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - very merky brown with little to no visibility peering thru the glass. Almost zero head and a lacing that slides down the glass immediately leaving behinds legs like a wine.

S - vanilla/oak from the barrels, prunes, burnt sugar, and figs. Very complex! I'm sure I'm missing a lot, but can't resist getting to the next part...the taste.

T - Wow! Similar to the nose, the complexity is making it difficult to narrow down the flavors. Dried fruits and molasses on the front end with a pleasant spice and alcohol burn on the cheeks. The concoction of flavors makes it taste very similar to fruit cake. This definitely needs a few years to calm down ad settle into its own.

M - Slightly viscous and spicy with a lingering finish thy lasts a good 30 seconds or so. Very little alcohol burn going down, but it's sits on the back end letting you know it's still there.

O - A classic for sure! Being able to try this on tap before opening my bottle was plus as I can see that it will need a few years in the cellar. The next time I drink it will be in a wine glass to give it more space. Certainly glad that I have one in the cellar.

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured something like a mahogany brown with auburn tips and had minor head and lace. First thing that hits me is the alcohol in aroma - didn't even get close to my nose and the booze is singing. Woody, oaky, "bourbony", it's a strong smell but not totally overpowering compared to smelling some real whiskey or scotch. There's also this roasted malt character with a touch of sweetness and dark fruits that I believe poke through. Very strong and hearty, designed to be slowly sipped and relaxed, and I must say that it's a dangerous sipper b/c the beer holds up with only exception being a slight ABV burn on the finish that is complimentary more than anything. I get some sweetness from the sticky, fuller body, like they put caramel and molasses or syrup in there to balance the woodiness of the aging and the alcohol. A touch of spice and a dash of dark fruit (black cherry or figs?) make there way in there as well. A really good beer to enjoy and a must try for anyone.

4.54/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is so tasty, and OMG the fragrance - I can just sniff it the whole time. Fantastic mix of beer and bourbon, oak barrel, and mouthfeel. Due to the bourbon, it's somewhat hot, and sweet; definitely a sipper. My only issue, I had a bit much and it caused hangover for me the next day, from the bourbon no doubt.

Bois from The Bruery