Bois - The Bruery

BoisBois

The Bruery visit their website

Old Ale |  15.00% ABV

The traditional fifth anniversary gift is something made of wood, or "Bois" in French.

Bois is our fifth anniversary ale, loosely brewed in the English-style Old Ale tradition using our house Belgian yeast strain and then blended using the solera method. A portion of each of our anniversary ales is saved in our barrels and blended in with the next year's production, providing more complexity and depth of character that comes with age. Layered with complex flavors of dark fruit,vanilla, oak, and burnt sugar, Bois is a robust ale, surely the perfect beer to mark this major milestone.

(Beer added by: OBeerMeGreatOne on 05-14-2013)
4.74/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

A real interesting looker. Deep garnet red body, with a clear character, and very dark, nearly purple in color, and some hard to see carbonation. Tan like head, lots of snapping carbonation and fades to a thin collar that always gets repopulated. The body color is truly exceptional.

An absolutely fantastic nose on this beer. Deep caramel stickiness, mild coffee, slight vanilla, and sugar cream, it totally smells like burnt sugar and perfect crème brûlée. Buried dark fruit of faint cherry but deeper plum, a little bit controlled heat, and quad like sensing warmth. Very impressive, this is like a quad without the sugar and a subdued mild cream and caramel, it's nearly perfect and so unique.

Palate brings much of the enjoyment from the nose, but a big surprise. Heavily fruit forward and large. Wine like warmth and quad character but no sucrose sweetness. Plums. Cherries, moving to a light bodied finish. Palate is very light for such long blended barrel aging, oak tones very subdued. Light caramel action, sticky toffee, the fruit dominates but let's the giant caramel come through.

Overall, it's impressive as all get out. It's like a quad without the sucrose, the Creme Brulee without a sticky rush and sugar buzz. It's fantastic.

smakawhat, Jul 30, 2013
4.69/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Angels Baseball finally televised in the Bay Area vs the A's this past Thursday - Sunday, and now tonight on ESPN vs Texas. Time to open this Bois all to myself.

A - Dark, dark Black Cherry Red in the 12oz tulip it's poured in. Solid 2" head but retention fades fast as expected. Looks beautiful.

S - Moment of truth of where my $30 went. Boom! Not at all dissapointed. Big vanilla bourbon barrel, accompanied by toffee, caramel, big flavor or raisins, and chocolate. Everything is in harmony. Nothing overpowers. All seems to be in place with a fair amount of heat on the nose, but not nearly the amount you'd expect from the 15%ABV.

T - Matches the nose with the perfect amount of heat on the back but not nearly the amount the 15% would suggest. If it's too hot, get the hell out the kitchen.... Everything is in complete harmony for such a big beer. Almost speechless. I've seen reviews saying this is too sweet. Gimme a break. Yeah, it's tad bit sweet as expected for the style and ABV, but make no mistake about it, I'll finish this bomber myself tonight and am having a hard time finding any flaws with this beer. The barrel aspect of this beer is near perfect. Again, see smell. Heavier on the dark fruits the further you get into it. Delicious.

M - that sticky barrel lingers like you'd prefer your resinous hops to from a favorite DIPA. Not at all syrupy or thick, but not thin either. Quite easy to put down for the ABV. Barrel lingers but keeps you coming back for your next sip. Before I knew it, 12oz gone in 25-30 min.

O - wish I bought another to see how it ages. $60 would have been worth it for two. Although not apples to apples (kinda), this beer is everything I expected out of 2013 Sucaba that 2013 Sucaba never delivered. For me at least. I'm not at all a fan of overly sweet beers or beers that run over $20 but this is one of the best bourbon barrel aged beers I've had.

Recommended if you have the funds.

RBassSFHOPit2ME, Jul 30, 2013

Cdunk11, Jul 30, 2013

Cookierachas, Jul 29, 2013

Johnny58, Jul 29, 2013

enelson, Jul 29, 2013
4.83/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Always to style. Poured into an appropriate Bruey tulip.

Murky brown brew with yellow/cream fizzy crackling soapy head that brows quickly and large, but disappears just as fast. . Needs a lot of time to mellow and settle. I'm anxious to see if it will clarify with age.

Heavenly spice/vanilla/whiskey/booze. Impressively smooth aroma. Only a mold burn on the nose, still it's a damn near 5.0; like a 4.9, but not great enough to round up to a 5.0

Whoa. Booze bomb without the booze. Smooth, righteous, thin, smooth, resinous, crisp/clean vanilla, smooth carbonation with just enough snap. Booze hits hard on first swallow, but mellows into a uniquely fantastic brew. Sweetness is VERY well done; no where near overwhelming. Drink at around 50 degrees. Awesome - killer 5.0

This is one outstanding brew and should be considered a must try. I will definitely seek a few* more for the cellar. Highly recommended as a celebratory "once in a blue moon" type of brew. I cannot wait to see where this brew is in 10 years... Happy moving; the start of something new.

I'm giving increasingly tougher grades with each brew I drink, but that should stand to show this in one fantastic, kick-ass, smokin' hot brew.

* the meaning of few hurts at $33/750ml

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

cnbrown313, Jul 26, 2013

jawneyt, Jul 26, 2013
4.96/5  rDev +14.3%

A: Really dark brown with a good tan head going for it. Just looked amazing in the glass.
S: A LOT of dark chocolate was going on in this bad boy. Has good bourbon smells, oak/smoke, and vanilla.
T: Tasted everything I smelled plus some dried fruits. Very well balanced with all the characters, especially the bourbon. Hid the boozy-ness. A little more carbonated than I'd prefer, but still excellent levels.
M: Awesome full bodied and silky texture. It's so smooth that you kind of don't want to take your time with it...
O: Definitely one of the best beers I've had yet. I'm going to have to spring for another...

nick_asian, Jul 25, 2013

Lare453, Jul 24, 2013
4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

oglmcdgl, Jul 24, 2013

djrn2, Jul 24, 2013

acurtis, Jul 24, 2013
3.69/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I been seeing these around Northern California so I thought it would give it a shot.
For one, this is a very expensive bottle, anywhere from $30-$40 a piece.

First impression was the overwhelming smell. Personally I thought it smelled a bit like fish sauce, if you guys know what I mean. The pour was very nice, great head! The first taste came a bit extra boozy, but its finished finished pretty smoothly. Definitely serve this in a sniffer . Overall, I thought it was a decent beer, but for the price I think there are much better ones other there.

Charliechu, Jul 23, 2013

dominic4beer, Jul 23, 2013

ediaz, Jul 23, 2013
3.15/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Given how expensive this beer is, I was very glad it was available for only $5 for a 4 ounce pour at PIB.

The beer pours a copper amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is impressive, as I pick up considerable dates, rum raisans, coconut, vanilla, pineapple, caramel and light chocolate. The beer smells as if it will be rich and sweet, but on the palate, I found this to be an absolute train wreck. Granted, the flavor profile replicates the nose for the most part, but this beer was so sweet and boozy, it was setting off my gag reflex. I've tried a number of these barrel aged nectar bombs in the past (Coton, 5 golden rings, cuir, etc.), but nothing really compares to this in terms of sweetness. Next to the word cloying in the dictionary, they should have a picture of this beer. Mouthfeel was full, with a long, sweet, soft boozy finish.

I thought it was tough to get through a bottle of Black Tuesday, but that beer is almost sessionable in comparison to this monstrousity. An interesting effort, but I think from now on I'm going to give these barrel aged old ales from Bruery a pass.

John_M, Jul 22, 2013