Bois - The Bruery

BoisBois

The Bruery visit their website

Old Ale |  15.00% ABV

The traditional fifth anniversary gift is something made of wood, or "Bois" in French.

Bois is our fifth anniversary ale, loosely brewed in the English-style Old Ale tradition using our house Belgian yeast strain and then blended using the solera method. A portion of each of our anniversary ales is saved in our barrels and blended in with the next year's production, providing more complexity and depth of character that comes with age. Layered with complex flavors of dark fruit,vanilla, oak, and burnt sugar, Bois is a robust ale, surely the perfect beer to mark this major milestone.

(Beer added by: OBeerMeGreatOne on 05-14-2013)

3.6/5  rDev -17.1%

3.69/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I been seeing these around Northern California so I thought it would give it a shot.
For one, this is a very expensive bottle, anywhere from $30-$40 a piece.

First impression was the overwhelming smell. Personally I thought it smelled a bit like fish sauce, if you guys know what I mean. The pour was very nice, great head! The first taste came a bit extra boozy, but its finished finished pretty smoothly. Definitely serve this in a sniffer . Overall, I thought it was a decent beer, but for the price I think there are much better ones other there.

3.74/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Slightly nervous about doing this, but I think my friend Adam wanted me to do this for him as he shared this with me tonight.
Both pours were in snifters.
The appearance was dark brown to black with a somewhat of a head that dies immediately.
The smell had a whole lot of oaky/cherry/brown sugar/raisens/figs/oak/bourbon/vanilla and ends up adding a decent dark roasted caramel close to the end of the warming period.
The taste was actually slightly boozy with a semi medium to heavy sort of body.
Sessionability, this one's got it.
On the palate, it sits about at a medium and I'm starting to feel the effects of the brew (is this perhaps because of the fact that I don't entirely know what I'm doing just yet)
Overall, hey, well, I like this one despite what anyone says about style and/or opinion of who makes this brew. Would I have this again? I'm pretty sure I would.

Bois from The Bruery