Batch #1000: Bryeian - The Bruery

Batch #1000: BryeianBatch #1000: Bryeian

The Bruery visit their website

American Black Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: mhaugo on 08-14-2013

Join us in excitement as we release the winning brew from our Batch #1000 homebrew contest - Bryeian! Hard to believe that we've brewed 1,000+ batches of beer and for those who have been with us throughout the years, probably surprising to see that the winner is a hoppy ale! A cascadian, dark rye ale to be exact. Brian Pramov and Bryan Keas, a pair of homebrewers from Denver put together this winning recipe for us and it shined brightly in our competition. The roast of the dark malts, the spice of the rye and the intense hop character combine for a fantastic experience.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.24/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass. Two and a half finger head. Some light lacing - not that stick to the glass lacing, but some tiny bubbles that eventually drink back down.

The smell is fresh hops. Piney with some rye. This is a very fresh brew at just over two weeks. The bottle says to enjoy as fresh as possible. This beer smells great.

The taste is dead on with the smell. Fresh hops and pine. Good rye flavor on the finish. There is some orange peel flavor that helps with the bitterness the more I drink. There is something burnt-like or ash. Maybe burnt orange peel?

Another great brew from The Bruery. At 7%, I think you could session this beer. Why couldn't they wait for football season to really start. Great Black Rye IPA. I would love to taste this against Firestone's Wookey Jack, which is one of my favorites in this style.

750ml bottle decanted into a curved imperial pint glass. Bottle stamped 8/7/13.
Appearance: Liquid obsidian with a leather cap. Beautiful lacing down the glass.
Smell: Aggressive, piney hops that track down my nose from eight inches away. A deeper investigation reveals charcoal and molasses.
Taste: So damn fresh it’s unbelievable. The hop character is sharp and brilliant. Pine so dense it makes me feel like I’m camping. There are also waves of spent coals, peppery rye, and sweet burned sugar. The lingering astringency is more roasted grains than it is hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Medium body, easy carbonation.
Overall: The bottle says, “We don’t often make hoppy beers, but when we do, they taste something like this.” The tragedy is that they don’t make more hoppy beers. This beer comes from the “Batch 1000” homebrew competition The Bruery hosted a few months ago, and after tasting this I’m glad I didn’t win. Black IPA is not generally a style that I am particularly fond of, but this beer is unreal. It is now my new gold standard for the category. Well done.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last