Yard Sale Ale - Tamarack Brewing Company

Montana, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: biboergosum on 08-02-2010

4.34/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Slow pour yields two fingers dense frothy light brown head. Good retention. Somewhat cloudy deep amber and some brown. Some particulate matter floating around. Creamy collar remains. Tropical fruits on nose with lightly roasted malts in background. Caramel and toffee notes. Peach and pineapple seem to jump out first. Very light bitterness, with some subtle cocoa hints. Balance seems to shift somewhat through finish. Not necessarily unpleasant, however. Solid medium body, mild heat, and a little bit syrupy and lighter carbonation. A memorable amber. Recommend to try. (572 characters)

3.53/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I've enjoyed Yard Sale in several different settings and offerings - fresh at the pub, growler, tall boy cans. It is very consistent - nicely coloured with a bit of off white, foamy head. The flavour is typical for the style - caramel malt, a hint of caramilk, lightly hopped. Knowing the place it is brewed helps add to the ski themed ambience, which always improves the feel of a beer for me. (394 characters)

3.78/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a pint can into a shaker. A moderate pour produces about one inch of creamy, frothy tan colored head which hangs around nicely. The beer is a medium dark yellowish brown with about average carbonation.

The nose is sweet malt with just a kiss of hops. The first sip was a bit of a flavor sensation- lots of fruitiness with a light tang on the tongue and sweet malt. I also detect a bit of chocolate and caramel, and some actually quite distinct bread/biscuit flavors. I might be getting just a little bit of milk parlor funk, or maybe just a generalized brewery taste/smell that you don't normally get in a can or bottle. Hop bitterness is subdued but lingering in the aftertaste on the back of the tongue.

This is a nice beer. I think I paid close to 9 bucks for a four pack of pints, but it was worth the expense. I especially like that it comes in cans, which makes it easier to take camping or rafting. I also can't remember a beer can that was as interesting and informative as this one, with semi tongue-in-cheek directions on how to enjoy the beer and recycle the can. I tried to visit a satellite establishment of this brewery in Missoula, but it was so busy on a Friday night that we just didn't have much of a chance to get served- a very popular place, indeed. (1,284 characters)

3.35/5  rDev n/a

Basic amber ale that you can find anywhere.

Caramel in color, a thin head and a aroma of sweet malt very tame. It really doesn't have much to offer besides being very fresh out of the brewery.

All in all I will continue to drink it but not my first choice for a good selection. (281 characters)

3.97/5  rDev n/a

On-tap at Hop-In Brew (November 2012)

I originally asked for a sample taster of this, fully intending to go for a full pint of Hat-trick (another Tamarack brew) but the sample changed my mind.

Nice appearance, a fair bit of tight head.
Smelled hoppy/ citrus-y, which surprised me.
I was expecting something sweet but, instead, got grains and hops and a hint of malty sweetness at the end. Very nice!
I hadn't checked on the ABV when I got my sample but I could tell there was some kick to this brew once it was in my mouth.

A very nice interpretation of a red ale- I hesitate to call it an amber ale, as the pub did.
Definitely worth having more than one of these. (667 characters)

3.7/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at National.

Appearance- Pours a dark amber with a 1/4 width of bubbly head.

Smell- Plum, cherry, and malts, touch of hops.

Taste- Starts with the malts followed by hint of hops, cherry and plum.This was quite different from other amber/red ales I have had in the past. Finishes a little sweet from the dark fruits and malts.

Mouthfeel. Light to medium bodied with light carbonation.

Overall- An interesting take on a amber/red. The dark fruits were certainly showcased nicely. Worth a try to see a unique twist on the style. (537 characters)

3.85/5  rDev n/a

20oz pint. So named, I presume, after the name given to the skiing situation, where one leaves a trail of detritus after a spectacular wipe out. This was the pint special in a pub in Whitefish - little did I know that the guy sitting next to me at the bar was none other than Tamarack's brewer, Craig, who comped me the pint, and the glass! Thanks, man! Now I have the perfect vessel in which to partake of other fine Montana brews, should the occasion arise.

On to the beer: it appears a clear, dark red-brick amber hue, with one skinny finger of finely foamy, and a tad soapy beige head, which leaves some low-lying foothills vista lace around the glass as it quickly disappears from sight.

It smells of semi-sweet biscuity caramel malt, tangy black vinous fruit, subtle bready yeast, and floral, slightly perfumed hops. The taste is bready caramel malt, a bit of saltine cracker biscuit character, muddled dark, sort of prune-like fruit, a hint of dry cocoa, and mildly soapy, weedy, and floral hops.

The carbonation is average, just a lulling frothiness, the body a decent medium weight and well smooth, with a small nod to creaminess. It finishes fairly sweet and malty, with a soft hop uppercut trying, and generally failing to cut through it all.

Not a bad amber/red ale, easy to drink, with a bit of the unexpected, in the sense of balance from the hops, even if said balance is still one-sided. Cool name, cool brewery, cool people, and pretty cool beer - if I skied in the area, I would definitely drink a lot of these guys' brews. (1,547 characters)

Yard Sale Ale from Tamarack Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.