Yard Sale Ale - Tamarack Brewing Company

good

Tamarack Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: biboergosum on 08-02-2010)

TheKitten, Jan 16, 2013

neckbeered, May 12, 2014

BillRoth, Oct 20, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Rocketman2013, Jul 15, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

gehlbach, Aug 09, 2014
3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

Basic amber ale that you can find anywhere.

Caramel in color, a thin head and a aroma of sweet malt very tame. It really doesn't have much to offer besides being very fresh out of the brewery.

All in all I will continue to drink it but not my first choice for a good selection.

Huffaroma, Dec 19, 2012

jheezee, Feb 27, 2014

Massbmx, Feb 27, 2013

elektronen, Jul 23, 2014

thebigredone, May 19, 2014
3.73/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at National.

Appearance- Pours a dark amber with a 1/4 width of bubbly head.

Smell- Plum, cherry, and malts, touch of hops.

Taste- Starts with the malts followed by hint of hops, cherry and plum.This was quite different from other amber/red ales I have had in the past. Finishes a little sweet from the dark fruits and malts.

Mouthfeel. Light to medium bodied with light carbonation.

Overall- An interesting take on a amber/red. The dark fruits were certainly showcased nicely. Worth a try to see a unique twist on the style.

leaddog, Sep 02, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

BigBry, Sep 08, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Sark, Jun 16, 2014
3.81/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a pint can into a shaker. A moderate pour produces about one inch of creamy, frothy tan colored head which hangs around nicely. The beer is a medium dark yellowish brown with about average carbonation.

The nose is sweet malt with just a kiss of hops. The first sip was a bit of a flavor sensation- lots of fruitiness with a light tang on the tongue and sweet malt. I also detect a bit of chocolate and caramel, and some actually quite distinct bread/biscuit flavors. I might be getting just a little bit of milk parlor funk, or maybe just a generalized brewery taste/smell that you don't normally get in a can or bottle. Hop bitterness is subdued but lingering in the aftertaste on the back of the tongue.

This is a nice beer. I think I paid close to 9 bucks for a four pack of pints, but it was worth the expense. I especially like that it comes in cans, which makes it easier to take camping or rafting. I also can't remember a beer can that was as interesting and informative as this one, with semi tongue-in-cheek directions on how to enjoy the beer and recycle the can. I tried to visit a satellite establishment of this brewery in Missoula, but it was so busy on a Friday night that we just didn't have much of a chance to get served- a very popular place, indeed.

archyquaffer, Dec 14, 2013
3.88/5  rDev +9%

20oz pint. So named, I presume, after the name given to the skiing situation, where one leaves a trail of detritus after a spectacular wipe out. This was the pint special in a pub in Whitefish - little did I know that the guy sitting next to me at the bar was none other than Tamarack's brewer, Craig, who comped me the pint, and the glass! Thanks, man! Now I have the perfect vessel in which to partake of other fine Montana brews, should the occasion arise.

On to the beer: it appears a clear, dark red-brick amber hue, with one skinny finger of finely foamy, and a tad soapy beige head, which leaves some low-lying foothills vista lace around the glass as it quickly disappears from sight.

It smells of semi-sweet biscuity caramel malt, tangy black vinous fruit, subtle bready yeast, and floral, slightly perfumed hops. The taste is bready caramel malt, a bit of saltine cracker biscuit character, muddled dark, sort of prune-like fruit, a hint of dry cocoa, and mildly soapy, weedy, and floral hops.

The carbonation is average, just a lulling frothiness, the body a decent medium weight and well smooth, with a small nod to creaminess. It finishes fairly sweet and malty, with a soft hop uppercut trying, and generally failing to cut through it all.

Not a bad amber/red ale, easy to drink, with a bit of the unexpected, in the sense of balance from the hops, even if said balance is still one-sided. Cool name, cool brewery, cool people, and pretty cool beer - if I skied in the area, I would definitely drink a lot of these guys' brews.

biboergosum, Aug 02, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +11.8%

On-tap at Hop-In Brew (November 2012)

I originally asked for a sample taster of this, fully intending to go for a full pint of Hat-trick (another Tamarack brew) but the sample changed my mind.

Nice appearance, a fair bit of tight head.
Smelled hoppy/ citrus-y, which surprised me.
I was expecting something sweet but, instead, got grains and hops and a hint of malty sweetness at the end. Very nice!
I hadn't checked on the ABV when I got my sample but I could tell there was some kick to this brew once it was in my mouth.

A very nice interpretation of a red ale- I hesitate to call it an amber ale, as the pub did.
Definitely worth having more than one of these.

MAB, Nov 27, 2012