2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Apocalypse IPA - 10 Barrel Brewing Co.

Apocalypse IPAApocalypse IPA

10 Barrel Brewing Co. visit their website
Oregon, United States

A Northwest American-Style IPA. The color comes through as a deep gold with orange hues. Fruity and citrusy hop aroma shines, with hints of pine resin. The four hop flavor dominates, re-enforcing the aroma with more citrus, fruity and piney notes. The malt character is clean and smooth with a unique toasted flavor (thanks to the generous helping of Victory malt), all held together by a firm bitterness. Apocalypse has a medium-bodied mouth feel, finishing crisp and dry. All of this results in a very drinkable IPA.

(Beer added by: Patrick on 10-31-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 269 | Reviews: 76 | Show All Ratings:
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

Picked up last night at the COOP.... poured into my little CC goblet.. the brew is slightly hop hazed orange.. only okay retention with a good head.

Nose is good citrus zest... slight caramel malt.. maybe some pine in there.

Pithy citrus... tangerine? and some piney hops... sorta oily and yummy... a touch too much malt for my liking, but it is a minor bitch..

Nicely balanced PNW IPA... I dig it overall, but it could stand to be a touch drier on the palate.

3.5/4/4/4/4.5

02-20-2012 02:39:46 | More by JohnGalt1
Vancoubeer

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

OK...before I go into why I rated this so high let me digress. I am skeptical of IPA's that are 6.5%..it seems generic...I tend to like 6.9 or above...don't ask me why but this description will contain info that will explain this.

Got a bottle at my local grocery store to give it a try...ya that sounds lame but it was for $3.79.

Poured into my glass it was a dark, filtered orange...looks like a really nice IPA. Sticky white head and bubbles sticking to the glass.

The smell was really ripe with that hoppy citrus and a touch of pine like many nw IPAs. It also has that biscuit tone that I like from the malts.

The taste is where this one takes control. The 6.5% tastes more like 7.5%. Not in booze but in bitterness. Very bitter and not watered down or tame like some in this category. With the bitterness was the citrusy sweet flavors I savor in an IPA. Really surprised for such a cheap IPA. Impressive.

The mouthfeel was sticky...just like the lacing on the bottle. the flavors linger and the carbonation is not too high and it cleans the palate for more.

Overall, this was one of the best IPAs I have had in a long way. It was very balanced, not too hoppy but the bitterness was high. The malt backbone is there to balance it out. These guys know what they are doing and the name of the beer is in no way an over exageration.

01-19-2012 06:44:05 | More by Vancoubeer
dgilks

Australia

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Hazy golden colour with a fluffy, white head. Fair head retention.

Resinous piney hops with some grassy notes. A hint of caramel malt too. Good.

Slightly malty flavour with resinous, piney hops. Fine but it could be brighter.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. Fine.

A decent if unexceptional IPA. Reasonable hop character but nothing more.

10-05-2011 22:04:22 | More by dgilks
kmatlack

3.13/5  rDev -19.1%

Tried this beer at 10 Barrel last christmas up in Bend while i was visiting a friend. Wanted another shot at it so he sent me a bomber, thanks Tony! Poured into my Stone IRS snifter.

A- Pours a very attractive red/copper color with a very fine off white head that looks to be creamy, as if it was poured nitro tap. Interesting.

S- On the nose, pine, a little bit of citrus, grass, some malts. Nothing too crazy. I remember it being much better on tap, not disappointing though. I think my favorite part of the smell is the fact that its bringing me back to my vacation.

T- Not very hop forward in my opinion, malts up front, followed by a kindof unpleasant bitterness with a lingering bitterness on the back end. Piney tastes with some caramel. Its definitely lacking in the taste department.

M- Thin mouthfeel, and as i guessed by the head, a little bit creamy. Low on the carbonation end.

O- I really love 10 Barrel Brewing. I enjoyed their food at the pub and I like all of their beers. This bottled version of apocalypse was kind of a letdown. Maybe i had my hopes up too high after having it fresh from the tap with steamed clams at the pub, but this bottle was average at best. Worth tasting.

09-29-2011 00:17:40 | More by kmatlack
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

4.18/5  rDev +8%

A: Copper with a white head, excellent retention & lace.

S: Grapefruit rind, pine, hint of tropical fruit.

T: Grapefruit rind, pine, sponge toffee, candied pineapple, great malt (biscuit), good bitterness.

M: Smooth moderate body, light hop acidity, dry finish.

D: A really good drinker and well-crafted. Not a pallet bruiser... I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

08-29-2011 04:57:04 | More by Derek
velosuds

3.78/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Saw this for the first time at my local grocer and decided to give it a try. Paid $3.99 a bomber. Heard some good things from Bend locals about this brewery and with all the good news these days, I decided to give Apocalypse IPA a try.

A-Pours a very slightly hazing copper orange with a two finger, off-white head with decent retention but scant lacing. Very pleasing appearance.

S-Aroma is disappointingly faint. Slight floral and citrus hops are subdued by "a generous helping of Victory malt" that gives this beer a predominantly biscuit/nutty aroma. Not what I want in an IPA.

T-With the name being such, I was expecting something more earth ending, at least as we know it. No such luck. This ends up being another "also ran" IPA. I think the Victory malt ruined this beer. I used this malt in a brown ale for its nutty attributes and was very pleased. I would never have thought to use it in an IPA. Odd. As with the aroma, the taste is malt dominant; the nutty/biscuit profile detracts from the fine hop bill: Horizon, Centennial, Amarillo, and Cascade. Great hops, and at 65 IBUs (if accurate), this is plenty hoppy to be an IPA. Not harsh or aggressive assault on the taste buds; I suspect some first wort hopping used. This is not bad; it's just not what it should be and I think the culprit is the Victory malt.

M-Very smooth but a bit thin and light, especially for an IPA.

O-This is decent. I really wanted to like this better than I did. I bought tonight since I was seeking something new. I wouldn't turn this beer away if offered one, but I probably won't buy it again.

Two commendations: (1) this brewery uses bottle dating. 7/25/2011 in this case. (2) the label peels off very easily without soaking/scrubbing making it easy to re-use for home brewing.

08-22-2011 01:52:46 | More by velosuds
BdubleEdubleRUN

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Thanks Chad.
Poured from a 22oz bottle into my stone ipa glass.

A- Pours an orange color with copper hugh, what I would expect for a standard ipa. Leaves an off white head and decent lacing around the glass. Lasting bubbles that continue to the top.

S- The nose of this beer is fairly faint and subtle. First off is a nutty aroma I assume is coming from the malts then its earthy, citrus and some pine.

T- Off the bat the first taste is grapefruit that fades to a less distinct citrus flavor. Some slight grass and malt in the back.

M- Cabonation on this beer is on point and makes it very drinkable, quite a bit thinner then I have grown use to from ipa's.

O- Defenitly a beer I'd be ahppy to drink again, with the thinner mouthfeel this is a very sessionable ipa in my opinion.

08-17-2011 00:23:12 | More by BdubleEdubleRUN
SkurvvyPirate

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Served on Tap.

A: Light and bright orange in color, almost looks like a Hef. Really pleasant color.

S: Not a lot of strong smell, a hint of tropical fruit, maybe pineapple.

T: Mostly tropical fruit, a little bit of an earthy taste.

M: The carbonation was perfect, a little more than usual in an IPA but I liked it. Finished smoother than most IPAs. Very enjoyable mouthfeel.

O: I really enjoyed this beer. I drank two in a row and could have stuck with it. Not your average IPA

07-17-2011 20:51:46 | More by SkurvvyPirate
AgentZero

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Recieved as an extra from someone, unfortunately I did a ton of trades at one time and lost track of who sent what.

A - Orange colored beer, opaque, head rose up fairly high but was a little thin.

S - Citrus and tropical fruits, some grass, little bit of pine, and some sweet malts. There is a slight chemical smell on the end that detracts but doesn't make it unpleassant.

T - Taste is about in line with the nose, although the chemical part comes through stronger as it warms up. Sweet malts, grapefruit and tropical fruit hops with a little bittering on the end. Not bad.

M - Carbonated, medium bodied.

O - This isn't great, but I was able to enjoy drinking it enough. Wouldn't turn it down, but not something I would seek out.

07-07-2011 15:09:14 | More by AgentZero
GreenCard

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: orangey-copper brown, hazy, thick layer of tight-beaded yellowy foam

Aroma: caramel, passion-fruit, lemon rind, strawberries

Flavor: biscuity malt profile with a mellow sweetness offset by a really balanced hop bitterness; hint of orange; finishes dryish with a lingering hoppiness

Mouthfeel: medium body, gentle carbonation, crisp

Other comments: This is a really well-balanced IPA. Tasty and easy-drinking. Not overly hoppy and not overly malty. It's in the Goldilocks Zone!

06-29-2011 21:45:11 | More by GreenCard
loren01

2.15/5  rDev -44.4%

A: Pours an orange color, huge head like most of the glass huge...about 5 finger widths.
S: Smells like an English IPA, maybe Kent Golding hops? Slightly earthy/grassy
T: Slight grassy hoppiness, not much malt balance here.
M: Too overcarbonated, light bodied beer
O: You shouldn't have to wait 5 min for the head to go down so you can drink a beer....seriously overcarbonated. The taste really wasn't impressive at all either...probably wont get this again.

06-18-2011 03:25:26 | More by loren01
coastiefish

2.6/5  rDev -32.8%

Poured from a 22 into a tulip

A - Light copper, thin foamy head, lively carbonation

S - Pine hops and medicine on the nose

T - Finished quickly, no lingering taste. Quite unimpressive profile. Alcoholic and tinny. Grapefruit appears after a few sips. Grassy. Finish is truly lacking, even watery.

M - The beer itself is creamy but with the sharp carbonation it just doesn't mesh to well for me.

O - Of course I wished for this beer to be great, while it is not terrible, I don't think I would purchase a 22 again. However, I would try it on tap for draughtness sake.
Too alcoholic to be quaffable. Leaves the back of my tastebuds puckering.
katelovesbeer is sharing the 22 with me, not reviewing on the site tonight, but does like it. I may be alone in this one?

03-28-2011 06:20:01 | More by coastiefish
chumba526

3.33/5  rDev -14%

It appears cloudy orange with a small off white head.

It smells of citrus, pineapple and sweet malt.
There is also a mild grassy hoppy smell.

It tastes initially of sweet mild malt. I get a bit a mild citrus flavor (lemons and orange). There is a mild grassy hop flavor as well. The beer ends with a medium amount of bitterness. There is not much about this beer it does not taste bad though.

There is a high carbonation to this beer. Furthermore there is a light mouthfeel to the ale.

Overall an ok IPA it is not bad but there is not much to it and it is forgettable.

03-19-2011 22:59:46 | More by chumba526
Reidrover

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Bomber from Capital Market,Salem. Once again I like the way 10 Barrels do their packaging. very handsome. Amber/burnt orange coloured, with a lovelly light tan head..that is volumtious and creamy. Strong resiny,piney hop aromas here..seems quite fresh. taste is not as hoppy as i expected..but it certainlly fills the mouth with the taste of a pine forest..the mats show too semi-sweet. Not a very sweet IPA which is a relief. Ok on the palate, nothing special ,nothing bad. Overall a nice PNW style IPA.

10-16-2010 17:53:35 | More by Reidrover
flexabull

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

From notes.

Pours a bright orange color, slightly hazy, with a thin white head.

Wonderful hoppy aromas. Very resiny and green, herbal, with some earthiness, and pine as well.

Taste is light up front, not the hoppy blast that the nose suggested. Slightly sweet and creamy, light caramel malt notes, with some granulated sugar flavors. Finish is crisp, and does provide some hop flavor, mostly herbal and resiny.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, smooth, and nicely carbonated, but a little thin.

Drinkability is good. This is a pretty nice IPA. If it had more body and taste it could be a great one.

10-15-2010 19:23:29 | More by flexabull
oberon

Poured into an oversized wine glass a hazed deep orange with a sticky one finger white that left broken rings of lace as it settled slowly.A mix of resiny and earthy hop mixed with caramel/biscuit malt and sweet alcohol,almost candy-like in the sweet alcohol note.Big earthy tones at the onset along with pine resin hop flavors,a big sweet alcohol dipped fruit element comes in late.This is a very earthy toned hopped ipa,a bit different but I like it.

09-20-2010 22:44:56 | More by oberon
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

Coppery orange rind with polished gold trim and a good looking lid of sandstone colored cream that is marshmallow sticky. It's still early, but the upper reaches of the glass are beginning to be plastered with thick sheets of lace and chunks of foam.

The nose pays equal homage to malt and hops, which is not the way to go in an American IPA. The main issue is that Victory malt (similar to Munich in terms of earthy nuttiness) is one member of the grain bill. It ends up taking a bite out of what could have been a killer aroma, with such notables as Centennial, Amarillo and Cascade (along with Horizon) in the house.

Apocalypse IPA is decent beer that is in no way apocalyptic. It needs a larger percentage of pale malt and it needs more hops. Both, of course, are personal preferences. It tastes like most of the original 65 IBUS are still present, so the bomber is reasonably fresh. Good hop flavor, though, is somewhat lacking.

Each mouthful delivers lightly toasted bread, a small handful of baked nuts, grapefruit zest, orange zest, and a woody spiciness whose origins are a mystery. This is an okay version of my favorite style, but it definitely needs some work.

The mouthfeel is more APA than IPA. It's thinner than it should be, doesn't bulk up as it warms, and the bubbles are within the wide range of acceptable. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Apocalypse IPA is one of those beers that is impressing less and less with each passing ounce. That isn't such a good thing when the bottle contains 22 ounces rather than 12. Hopefully, 10 Barrel Brewing will deliver the goods with S1nist0r Black Ale, a bomber of which is biding its time in my cellar as we speak.

08-25-2010 12:29:59 | More by BuckeyeNation
brewandbbq

New Hampshire

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

22oz bottle.

Pours burnished copper with a rocky, two inch head of eggshell white. Plenty of smeary lacing and a solid foam cap for the duration of the glass.

Aromatics are a mild combination of citrus, pine, and husky malt. Lacking much floral character or pungentness.

Medium bodied with a crisp, drying mouthfeel.

Citrus pith and pine resin start the palate with a fairly substantial bitterness stepping forward quickly. Biscuity malt and traces of honey follow through.

Finishes with lingering grapefruit, pine, and slightly grainy malt.

Decent enough but certainly sub-par given the locale of the brewery. More hops please, all around.

08-09-2010 23:46:04 | More by brewandbbq
iD9

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured in a straight pint.

Appearance: A medium bodied amber, crystal clear through the middle and... oh wow the carbonation. Tons of carbonation in this guy. Head retention is pretty good for an IPA. It seems a little on the light side but I also usually drink my IPAs out of the bottle instead of in a glass.

Smell: A little pine, a little resin, a little citrus. I get some of the floral notes of the hops but its not kicking me in the face like I expected. Not bad, its just not standing out at me right now, I wonder if its my glassware? There is a little something I can't quiet place in this beer, it seems a bit off for some reason.

Taste: There's the hops I was looking for, you can't smell it but you can taste it on the front end and the back. Not the hop bomb that Firestone's Union Jack or Bear Republic's Racer 5 is but its nice and subtle, a little more in the PNW style.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied but extremely solid. Chewy-deliciousness, just the way an IPA should be.

Drinkability: Very good drinkability. It doesn't smash me the way some of these high IBU IPAs do. All those hops really wear out my pallet fast, this beer doesn't suffer from that problem. Hurray beer!

Overall a very solid, very well presented beer. Not earth shattering by any means but superior in its fundamental strengths. Good job.

07-05-2010 03:23:23 | More by iD9
Spikester

4.22/5  rDev +9%

Full amber with a large cream color head. Plenty of lacing. Aroma is very prominent floral, piney hops. Taste is immediate hop bitterness with plenty of resins. Pink grapefruit with some leather and pine resins. Plenty of sweet malts to support all that oily bitterness. Mouthfeel is better than average and well carbonated. Drinkability is very good. I haven't seen many R.R. products around lately and this tasty brew would be a fine stand in. Last pour was quite hazy. If you can find it buy some now. Found at Market of Choice in West Linn, Oregon. About $5.00 for the bomber.

05-25-2010 06:37:03 | More by Spikester
djbreezy

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into a pint glass at Blitz Ladd in Portland.

appearance - copper body with two finger head but not much retention or lacing

smell - citrus and resinous hops, big roasted malts

taste - roasted malt body with resinous nw hops, citrus and dank

mouthfeel - medium body with a bite from the hops

drinkability - true to style, a hop and malt showcase

05-21-2010 13:59:04 | More by djbreezy
ccrida

4.4/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber poured into my large St. Feuillien goblet, Apocalypse IPA is a lightly hazed ruddy bronze with a small off-white skim of head with a bubbly collar that leaves elegant, draping lace.

Smell is dank and resinous hops, skunky, with some sweet gingerbread malt notes. Robust, perhaps the only knock is that it smells like the alcohol might be dirty (which it it very well may be the hops style, but as I'm enjoying it, the fusels are hidden on the palate).

Taste is also robust, classic NW IPA with the huge, fresh hops, and a fairly substantial malt base as well, mostly bread, some sweetness. While the hops have some substantial bitterness, they combine with the sweetness of the malt to bring out some tropical citrus that you don't get in the nose. The lingering aftertaste is hop resins, like you've chewed on one.

Mouthfeel is oily, a bit chewy. The tongue is really coated with hop resin in hurry, did I mention this beer is dank? I like it for the audacity it reminds you this beer brings.

Drinkability is great if you're a hop head. Wow, what a great IPA, glad Bend finally sent us some bottles!

05-05-2010 01:17:30 | More by ccrida
Docer

3.43/5  rDev -11.4%

Grabbed a bottle at a Whole Foods... can't find a date stamp.

- Amber copper color, clear.... nice fluffy light white head... leaves a good pinky finger lingering around.

- Very roasted grainy scent.... barley... wet towel... perhaps just a touch of bittering hop... pine.. but not much hops to speak of in the scent... odd.

- Interesting taste... and it changes throughout the process. Starts as a light free flowing caramel malt... hits a wet blanket taste... then a bitter hop hits you.... a little grain, alcohol.. then sweetness... then a pine hop, slight sweet citrus... a biting bitter punch to the face followed by the mouth feel with strong flavor. Unique... and a grassy beltch.

- Medium bodied... sticky, grassy... grainy.... and sticky again, while slightly chewy.

- Overall this is a very interesting beer... smells of sticky burned roasted grains all over.... super bitter hops that are almost so bitter they fade... almost smells like a meal.. Not bad, and very unique... but I wonder if their IPA always tastes like this?

04-24-2010 03:07:51 | More by Docer
Wetpaperbag

Washington

A- Beer is nice and golden reddish orangish amber color with a thick two finger head that is very clingy and sticky.

S- Big grapefruit smell in the nose, not so much pine but some lemon, perhaps Buddhas hand zest. There is a slight ginger and gin smell too.

T- The taste has a big malt presence that helps the hop flavor. Bready and roasty come though the flavor. The hops are grapefruity and clean with a nice wonderful spruce tip taste to it. Solid brew.

M- Thick to medium body in the feel.

D- Very easy to drink, this is a well rounded brew.

04-19-2010 02:33:44 | More by Wetpaperbag
jdense

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

22 oz. bottle from John's Marketplace PDX poured into Dogfish Head pint glass 4.18.10.

Two fingers rock white head, slow dissipation and significant lacing. Pretty hoppy nose, piney and citrus with bready and caramel malts. Taste is hop forward, a bit spicy but well balanced, sweet from caramel malts. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and finish got more spicy as the beer warmed. Fairly drinkable but quite unremarkable.

04-19-2010 00:35:43 | More by jdense
Apocalypse IPA from 10 Barrel Brewing Co.