Atlas India Pale Ale - Marshall Brewing Company

Atlas India Pale AleAtlas India Pale Ale

good

Marshall Brewing Company visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

Atlas India Pale Ale is an ale with strength and character worthy of its name. Pale and caramel maltings of American two-row barley give Atlas IPA a malty backbone to support its noticeable, but not overpowering, hoppy flavor and aroma. Columbus, Amarillo, and Cascade hops are harmoniously blended together, bringing about floral and earthy tones which highlight this bold but delicious ale.

(Beer added by: Beertracker on 08-15-2008)
View: Beers (17) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Bartholeme

04-18-2013 06:46:46 | More by Bartholeme
TylerBGoode

4.93/5  rDev +39.3%

Though I've had this local brew in every possible way available: bottle, tap and cask; the cask conditioned version at McNellie's in Tulsa is hands down the way to go. This was the first cask brew I have ever tried, mostly because I believe McNellie's is the only establishment in town to serve cask conditioned ales. The first time I ordered cask conditioned Atlas IPA I didn't know what to expect, by the time I took my first sip I realized that I needed to order Atlas, and his Marshall-brewed brother the McNellie's Pub Ale, from cask every chance I got.

For comparisons sake, the flavor of this beer is more pronounced, the texture more complementary and the experience more rewarding when this beer is consumed on cask. Poured into a typical pint glass, the hue is rather dark but a tone lighter than if poured from the bottle. It has a nice foamy head, but not nearly as much as you get out of a bottle - which is not necessarily a bad thing. The aroma of the beer is intoxicating, floral and gloriously hoppy. The hop filled aroma is actually bigger than the actual taste, which is splendid, but just not as big and hoppy as the smell may indicate. Still a wonderful flavor, especially on cask. The flavors seem to meld together very well. The maltiness of the beer is actually a little more pronounced than you may expect, but it doesn't mask the other floral flavors that you'll encounter. The drinkability is through the roof too. It's just so easy to sit back and continue to order rounds of this one. I enjoy this beer in the bottle, I love this beer in a keg, but this may be my favorite beer when consumed out of a cask.

10-01-2010 15:39:41 | More by TylerBGoode
tronester

4.72/5  rDev +33.3%

When I originally had this beer in the bottle I DID NOT like it. It was mediocre at best. (see original review at the bottom) Maybe it was a bad bottle, or they refined the recipe...

HOWEVER, I had the beer on cask at Mcnellies. And my opinion has completely changed. The beer was lighter in color than before, as well as not being cloudy. The aromas were of substantial piney hops. Taste was sweet rich malt, with a piney, earthy blast of hops in the finish. Not as much hop flavor as some IPA's, but still amazing. Creamy mouthfeel, super smooth, low carbonation. Amazing drinkability, an Imperial Pint of this beer is not enough! I plan on getting this and the Pub ale on cask every time I am at Mcnellies!

Look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | drink: 3.5

Pours a dark amber/brown with a MASSIVE oversized tan head. somewhat cloudy, either bottle conditioned, unfiltered or both. The appearance takes a huge hit, because it took 10 minutes to get the head to die down and pour a tiny bit more into the glass. Smell is vaguely of malt. Taste is primarily malty, brown sugar and raisins. A coarse bitterness is in the finish, but the beer is really low in hops from an IPA standpoint. There is a touch of earthy hop flavor, but it is pretty low compared to that of the malt. The yeast seems to put off a phenolic flavor as well, tastes almost like a belgian strain! In the finish you can taste alcohol as well, which is very odd for a beer that is only 6.5 percent ABV. Mouthfeel is better though, smooth and creamy, and even though there was a massive head, the carbonation levels ended up pretty good with a slow pour. Drinkability is alright, there are much better examples of an IPA, this seems more like an American strong Ale perhaps, but even if it were categorized differently I wouldnt rate it better because IMO it isnt that great a beer. Which is very dissapointing, because Their McNellie's pub ale from the cask is the highest rated beer I have ever given. Their Sundown wheat is very good too.

04-06-2009 00:22:02 | More by tronester
shohog

4.5/5  rDev +27.1%

Poured into glass pint glass and got a nice 2 finger head. The beer has a very clear amber copper color. A nice off white to tan colored head retained to the end.

Smell of caramel, toffee malts w/ slight hints of citrus or pine.

Maybe not the hoppiest IPA or a perfect example of an IPA, but what an amazing tasting beer! It has an enjoying balance of sweet caramel, toffee malts to bitter hops which quickly take over but then goes back to the sweetness again for a moment before it leave a slight bitter not unpleasant after taste. Mouthfeel is ideal for this style, maybe a a tad creamier than some but is very very smooth with a high drinkability. d.

I have had this local brew several times before and find myself drinking it more and more. You gotta try it if you like pale ale, ambers or IPA. It is kind of like combination of all 3. Awesome!

05-23-2009 23:38:24 | More by shohog
wolfinthemirror

4.47/5  rDev +26.3%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. very nice burnt caramel color, light carbonation with few bubbles, a fingers worth of an offwhite/creamy head that doesn't stick around long. moderate lacing.

hops, some pine and sweet caramel malts

The taste is where this beer really shines. Not overly hoppy or malty, just very solidly balanced and delicious. keeps a great flavor, I get some grapefruit notes and mild bittering. very smooth.

I could just keep drinking this, I bet it's even better on tap.

Overall I'm very proud to say that this was brewed in my state.

03-14-2010 05:04:30 | More by wolfinthemirror
chezlee

4.43/5  rDev +25.1%

Appearance: Slightly cloudy, which seems interesting.Robust in color, with deep orange, not golden, but mainly rust.

Smell: Hops at the nose intense, but not overpowering. Somewhat bready or yeasty but mainly hops.

Taste: Powerful and delicious. Not complex, just a dang good IPA. An excellent session beer that I cannot seem to put down. Every sip seems to leave the mouth calling for more.

Feel: Average for an IPA

Overall: I have had many of these and I havn't grown tired of it yet. An excellent go-to beer that I know will give me satisfaction every time.

03-21-2010 02:29:16 | More by chezlee
isaiahcutright

4.35/5  rDev +22.9%

Pours a magnificent amber with a two-finger head. Beautiful lacing. Delicate maltly nose, with tons of piney, and citrus hop. Brilliant floral taste, accompanied by a nice smooth bitterness. Silky smooth mouthfeel and pleasant finish. A local IPA that is one of my favorites

02-25-2011 05:00:59 | More by isaiahcutright
Docer

Washington

4.25/5  rDev +20.1%

Bomber acquired in a trade... interesting that it is wax dipped... must be for looks! No freshness date...

- Huge 5 fingers of head... slowly down to a thumb of frothy head that looks like the surface of the moon. Lacing all about. The ale is a dark clear copper/amber... not too much character.. but overall nice.

- Wonderful crisp smell... reminds me of my first beer. Nice bitter hop nose... little bit of sweet malt... but overall very nice. I am actually impressed by the smell... much like a fresh hop harvest ale.

- Interesting sweet flavor.. bit of ester, some type of fruit... kiwi, strawberry.. caramel.. some very slight sour zing to it towards the end... and a nice bitter hop bite.... this is actually quite good, and quite original.. I am liking it... and shocked at the lower review scores. Certainly some citrus.

- Very slight chewiness.. but the light sour zinger causes saliva to flow... not too dry at all... and a big taste for a low alc. is nice!

- Huge drinkability... if I lived near there, I am sure this would be my go-to beer... it is quite nice, distinct and drinkable.

08-03-2009 22:39:32 | More by Docer
IPALOVER

4.22/5  rDev +19.2%

I found this beer on tap at Savastano's Pizza in Bixby, Oklahoma (a suburb of Tulsa). I was surprised to find a craft brewery IPA, and was hoping it would be good. I was not disappointed!

The pint was brought to me with about an inch of foam, and the color was a darker amber. Pretty dark for an IPA, but it looked good! I could smell hops and malt, and upon first sip the balance of the two were perfect. An easy sipping beer...so easy that I ordered another...and then another. Definitely a session IPA.

Although this wasn't as hoppy as most of the IPAs I drink I loved the balance and the smoothness. For those just venturing into the world of hoppier beers this would be a great one to try.

If you're ever in Tulsa go to Bixby and try Savastano's! The pizza and Atlas IPA are the best! So good I ate there two nights in a row.

08-09-2009 02:10:12 | More by IPALOVER
StoneTSR

4.22/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Another random beer from Oklahoma that I picked up on my last trip to Tahlequah. My first impression is that the bottle is gorgeous - a nice dark glass with an elaborate label and a thin layer of deep blue wax over the cap. Enough to keep the flavor sealed in, but not so much that it was a problem opening the bottle. If they took as much care with the beer as they did with the 22 oz. bottle, this should be delicious.

APPEARANCE: Just like the bottle, the beer itself is gorgeous. A deep, orange-ish, gold color with a nice thick, foamy head. The foamy head, of course, led to a nice, think lacing as well.

SMELL: A very nice strong, hoppy smell. Notes of citrus are present, but are more or less background noise, the hops seem to be the star of the smell.

TASTE: Not surprisingly, the Atlas IPA has a very strong hop presence. Notes of caramel are also noticeable, and surprisingly, the citrus "background" noise I mentioned above is still there - and it's still seems to be in the background. I expected the citrus flavor to be stronger than the smell, but I am pleasantly surprised that the hops shine through. A smoky finish somewhat overwhelms the nice hoppy start, but that's a minor complaint for an otherwise fantastic IPA.

FEEL: The most noticeable feeling with this beer is the foamy head that stays strong throughout much of the beer. The foam that ends up on my upper lip masks the fact that, once in your mouth, the carbonation is not as lively as it looks.

OVERALL: I originally bought this bottle because I wanted to add a somewhat obscure IPA that I wouldn't be able to find at home to my list. I figured it would be enjoyable, but I wasn't expecting to be blown away. When I finally cracked it open, though, I discovered a fantastic beer. The flavor is a bit too intense to have more than one or two, but that's what I'm looking for in a good IPA.

As a side note, after reading some of the other reviews, I was shocked at the wide variety of experiences people had with this beer. It was almost as if we weren't all drinking the same thing. That said, I didn't open my beer for about three months after purchasing it, and there is no date on the bottle, so it may have been on the shelf at the store for a while as well. This may be a beer that does a little better with some aging.

02-04-2010 05:54:32 | More by StoneTSR
chocosushi

4.2/5  rDev +18.6%

12oz->Marshall Pint

A ~ Pours Auburn with medium carbonation clinging to the walls of the glass. Great head, but surprisingly poor lacing and retention.

S ~ Very sharp zest (lime & lemon) and mowed-grass. A lot of hop oils.

T ~ Starts with a bit of malt & lemonpeel, then abruptly jumps into tree-bark and pineapple-like hoppiness. Grass, mulch & tree sap play a heavy role in the finish of the beer. Notes of sweet bread mango are throughout which curb the heavy resinous finish.

M ~ Very earthy with a very natural tasting sweetness. Bitterness lingers on the tongue. The body of the beer is very smooth with good carb. Dry, but it doesn't make your palette recoil.

D ~ Not what I would call a "session-IPA" by any means, but a great one nonetheless. Very hop forward and very "big" for a 6.5 %er. Seek out.

Cheers.

07-21-2011 23:57:52 | More by chocosushi
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.18/5  rDev +18.1%

A wax capped IPA is always a good way to start off a night in my book! Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 12/25/2009.

The pour was very nice, rich dark amber in color with a smooth, even head of white that came up and over the top very nicely. Really well done here I have to admit as the lacing coated the inside of the glass very well. Rich looking for sure. Aroma is hop heaven. Rich notes of grapefruit, orange and hints of pine are right in your face, but mellow out as it warms and offer some balance against a bready malt that starts to show itself. First sip shreds the tongue, right grapefruit flavor prickles away at the taste buds, thick, almost viscous for an IPA is what is on tap for you next. Takes a few sips before you can get past this bigger then life hop profile and find some decent balance in here, but it is there. Huge feel and great carbonation made this one actually drink bigger then the ABV had it pegged at, but went down nice and smooth.

Overall a solid IPA I was glad I was glad I got the chance to try. Not sure I ever would have sought it out, and thats half the fun.

12-27-2009 05:05:43 | More by mikesgroove
bump8628

4.13/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured a mostly clear copper color with some sticky bone-colored head that really laced well down the glass.

Aroma lacks a bit in the hop department, but as it warmed I was able to detect some piney, herbal, citric American hops and a little bit of caramel malt.

What it lacked in the nose it made up for in the taste with a large helping of grapefruit-esque citric hops. Notes of pine and tropical fruit add some complexity and a solid (but not overwhelming) caramel malt backbone balanced the bitterness.

The finish is semi-dry and carbonation spot-on lending a smooth mouth presence. Bitterness lingers just enough to let you know that this beer is indeed an IPA.

I'm really pleased with this and couldn't be more proud that it's brewed locally. Its a rather balanced IPA and falls short of some of the monster west-coasters, but it more than satisfies my hop needs. I must note that I had it a year or more ago out of the bottle and it was almost sickeningly sweet and not nearly hoppy enough. I don't know if Marshall has really improved this beer this much, or if it is just a much better beer on draught. Either way, I'll be drinking this much more often from now on.

01-04-2010 20:54:10 | More by bump8628
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

4.1/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Hazy caramel color, cream colored head that recedes to a film. Light lacing.

Aroma: Caramelly sweet, spicy. Tea-like herbal tang.

Taste: A tea leaf bitterness comes first before going into spicy sweet caramel. The finish brings bitterness, more black tea.

Mouthfeel: On the heavier side.

Overall: Malty. Spicy. Almost into DIPA territory.

06-09-2013 00:23:00 | More by JuicesFlowing
russpowell

Enjoyed with a cheeseburger at McNellies in Tulsa

Pours a semi-hazed caramel with 1 finger of cream colored head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Apricots& fruttyness, some caramel & a whiff of herbal hops

T: Pears & apricots, biscuitty malt & leafy hops up front. Fruittyness & herbal hops as this warms, plus a bit of biscuitty malt & dryness. Finishes fruitty with & some caramel. Finishes fruitty with dryness & a bit of crisp hops

MF: Medium bodied, minimal carbonation, creamy, good balance

Drinks very easy, wish the taste profile was pumped up more, to me it's kind of like sheep in wolf's clothing. More hops & malt please!!! This needs to be stepped up to catch up to the pub ale...

08-30-2009 01:16:48 | More by russpowell
Beertracker

4.08/5  rDev +15.3%

Commercial Description: Atlas India Pale Ale is an ale with strength and character worthy of its name. Pale & caramel maltings of American two-row barley give Atlas IPA a malty backbone to support its noticeable, but not overpowering, hoppy flavor, and aroma. Columbus, Amarillo, and Cascade hops are harmoniously blended together, bringing about floral and earthy tones which highlight this bold but delicious ale. Suggested pairings include: Mexican, Indian, and Cajun dishes, oily fish such as grilled salmon, spicy crab cakes, and bold, handcrafted, washed-rind cheeses.

Available Packages: 50L (13.2USG) Keg; 1/6 bbl (5.16USG) keg. Coming soon: 4/6/12 & 12/22fl.oz. NR bottles. IBU = 58; ABV = 6.5%

Marshall's Atlas India Pale Ale (IPA) pours up evenly with a moderate carbonation that creates a lacy tannish-white head that rises above the slightly hazy, ochre-tawny amber body. Good head retention. The slightly pungent aroma is ripe with fruitiness (lemon zest, tangerine peel, ruby red grapefruit) supplimented by an underlying earthy-herbal (cilantro, lemon grass) spiciness (peppery) accenuated by a lingering caramel maltiness. The alcohol warmth is negligible and well masked by the hops & malt. The defiantly hoppy flavor starts off with a bready maltiness that shows a nice toasted caramel character that eventually gives way to a marked, but never dominant bitterness that creates an off-dryish, mineral laced finish. This medium bodied, unfiltered IPA has a good creaminess & texture with just a touch of grainy astringency. This is a very approachable, session-style IPA that drinks like an English version, but finishes truly American. I'm happy to have watched this one grow from a Marshall family homebrew into a bankable microbrew. Oklahoma beer lovers can rejoice! Here's to the Marshall brothers and their growing family of fine beers!

CHEERS! Beertracker

08-15-2008 17:53:50 | More by Beertracker
estlinska

Arkansas

4.08/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Served on tap to a standard shaker at the Flying Saucer on 3/30. Pours a slightly cloudy carrot colored amber in the glass. It has moderate, runny lacing and about 1cm of bubbly head. The smell is very subdued, but mostly characterized by big sweet malt and some citrussy and herbal hops. There is a slight resin and almost a tangy peach smell to it. The taste is very good. The malt is full on and gets close to being too much, but the hop bitterness cuts it off nicely before it gets too much. The bitterness starts light, but then builds up over the course of the beer. The citrus hops work very well with the full sweetness of the malt. The finish is dry and there is a good, full mouthfeel. Overall, I am surprisingly impressed with this beer. It is probably one of the better of the central midwest IPA's I've tried.

03-30-2013 23:49:10 | More by estlinska
stephens101

4.05/5  rDev +14.4%

Had this on tap at the new Mcnellie's in downtown OKC. Poured dark amber with an diminutive off-white head. Smells of typical citrus hops, malts and a bit of sweets. Tasted big on the hops up front with a good amount of backing malts and some spice. Felt a bit creamy going down with a medium mouth-feel. Not much more to say here excepts this is a really good standard IPA, and has become my traditional first beer every time I go to Mcnellie's.

Review update: Tapwerks featured this beer dry-hopped on cask in celebration of International IPA day. The original knocks a solid double in my opinion, but the firkin-style nearly hits a grand slam. Saw a murky brown pour this time around with a fine lace all around. Noticed apricot to the nose and a chalkier mouth-feel. The sweetness was still there. A little hoppier and hotter than I remember, but smooth as hell. Excellent change up here to keep the RBI's at bay.

11-25-2008 03:06:33 | More by stephens101
Yeastcakes

4.03/5  rDev +13.8%

Serving notes - cool, shaker glass, on tap.
A - wonderful floral and grapefruit hops.
A - two fingers of head that dissipates to a thick film. Clear amber body.
M - medium body with medium to high carbonation.
T - floral and grapefruit hops forward on the tongue. Nice balance with malt sweetness. Some astringency on the back of the tongue that fades as the beer warms.
D - This manages that balance of great IPAs of having great west-coast hop aroma and flavor while having enough malt backbone to be very drinkable.

11-26-2009 03:58:49 | More by Yeastcakes
armock

4.03/5  rDev +13.8%

A - Poured a copper color with an off white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of citrus hops on a caramel malt backbone

T - Starts with some citrus hops upfront then the caramel malt comes through finishes a little bitter

M = This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - This was an enjoyable IPA with a good balanced taste it was easy to drink I wish Marshall was available in Texas worth trying sometime

03-23-2010 19:38:12 | More by armock
northaustin

4.03/5  rDev +13.8%

poured from the 22oz into a barrel mug. pours a darker copper color with two fingers of glorious froth at the top that has pretty good retention and leaves a little bit of lacing.

smell: mostly getting the sweet malts but there is a definite note of floral and piney hops.

taste: once again mostly the sweet malts but with a fairly well defined hop profile mixed in. not as flavorful as some other ipas but it has a flavor of its own that im really enjoying.

mouthfeel: a tad oily a tad sticky. fairly typical mouthfeel of well balanced ipas

very drinkable if you can get it. i was lucky enough to have someone bring one down from the brewery. wish it was readily available.

lookin forward to trying their pub ale

09-13-2009 04:43:14 | More by northaustin