Livu No. 1 Turbo Bock Beer - Livu Alus

Bock |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Foxman on 05-12-2008

Reviews by drunkboxer1:
2.93/5  rDev +3.2%

From old notes. Had out of a glass beer mug. Pours a dark orange with a thin head that disappears fast. Smells sweet, like caramel and roasted grains. Tastes sweet as well. There is no bitterness that I could detect, nor any real hop characteristics. Anything the hops add is lost in the dominate sweetness. Lots of warming alcohol is present though. Better than any other beer I've had from Latvia though, I guess.

2.8/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It pours a quite clear lemony gold. Two fingers of off-white head slip away to pocked froth. Hills of lacing slope along the inside of the glass.

The aroma is cane sugar sweet with a hint of toasted malt caramel. More fruity sweetness is slightly dented by a flash of peppery hops. Baked dough and alcohol round it out.

Upon sipping, I have to say, mother of god, the thick cane syrup sweetness enrobes the tongue like cloying mucous. The candy sugar bloom almost masks a light fruit and caramel malt note. And in fact, it does mask the alcohol quite capably. Only toward the end do spicy hops manage to assert and present a crisp bitterness that also bares a baked biscuit maltiness. The finish is like a memory of corn syrup. And don't ask me why I know that. The yeast was just out manned here.

Full bodied, the sweetness feels almost gelatinous on the palate, which is not especially an asset in this instance.

Too much, too much, too much sweetness and too damned cloying. Despite myself, I actually cringed with my deeper sips. Exactly what sugar did the yeast convert here? I mean, it seems to all still be in place. But something happened, because it has a heavy-duty ABV that's dangerously subverted by that everlasting gob-stopper candy sweetness. I'm saying, no mas. And did I happen to mention that it's sweet?

2.75/5  rDev -3.2%

Livu No. 1 Turbo Bock Beer from Livu Alus
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.