Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Reviews: 1,388 | Hads: 4,839
Reviews by UnderPressure:
2.29/5  rDev -25.2%

14.9 fl oz can

Extremely clear, nearly colorless slightly yellow. Minimal fizzy 1/2 finger "head" melts instantly.

Weak pilsner malt aroma. Not much else to say.

Nearly empty pilsner malt flavor with a slight touch of Belgian funk, and a trace of bitterness.

Thin, heavily carbonated mouthfeel, but not completely contradictory to the style.

I'm not sure what I expected here, but overall I'm not impressed. It's a step above the typical "big three."

4.5/5  rDev +47.1%

This is my go to beer because most places have it on tap and it's usually the best thing on tap. This is one of the first beers that actually allowed me to start to appreciate beer (along with Heineken). I tend to lean more toward the European beers though, so to each their own.

I would say that Stella and Heineken are both very good entry level beers for people who think they don't like beer. I started with those two just a year or so ago and now I'm learning to appreciate the Gulden Draaks, the Pauwel Kwaks, the EKU 28s, and the Samichlaus type beers. This is why I still like it a lot and it's my go to because most places aren't going to have the previously mentioned beers.

3.06/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pouring with a finger high bright white head, the beer is crystal clear straw yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. The head quickly died down but never completely faded away and left a thin layer of bubbles consistently covering the surface.
S: There are light aromas of floral hops and spicy yeast in the nose.
T: The taste shares a lot of similarities with the smell and also has flavors of grainy malts along with some hints of sweetness and a slight amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate with a slight amount of crispness and dryness. There is a moderate amount of carbonation.
D: The beer isn't that difficult to drink, although I'm not sure if I would try another because the taste wasn't very interesting.

2.67/5  rDev -12.7%

Look: That unfortunate depth of straw color that looks exactly like urine. Thin head that dissipates very fast.

Smell: Like a roadkilled skunk. Absolutely terrible. I was about ready to give up on it after that first whiff.

Taste: BUT if do overlook those two aspects, it actually tastes just fine. A pretty solid lager, maybe the quality of Yuengling . Moderately hopped, not much other flavors going on.

Feel: And it falls apart again. feels really slick and thick. Lack of carbonation here.

Overall: I'd have it if you gave it to me. But I'd never buy it again.

2.25/5  rDev -26.5%

Before I got into craft beer, I used to drink this one frequently. In fact, it was at one point arguably my favorite. I had heard of the reputation Belgian beers had and I this thought I was being sophisticated. Since then, I have discovered the Belgian style dubbels, trippels, quadruplels, strong ales etc that are truly at another level. Knowing this, I went back to give Stella a try for old times sake, knowing full well that it doesn't hold a candle to Duvel, Chimay, St. Bernadus etc. Nevertheless, I was expecting a pleasant crisp and refreshing change of pace as I used to remember it. I was sorely disappointed. This Stella thatbI tried had a grainy and skunky aroma that truly bothered me. The carbonation was low and the taste was watery and lacking flavor. I couldn't finish it. Have my taste buds grown so sophisticated that I've become a beer snob? Or has the manufacturing of this product changed for the worst. Either way, I did not enjoy it at all.

1.84/5  rDev -39.9%

This is a beer that I really expected to be, and tried to make, better. A bunch of my friends love and swear by this brew... not sure why. It resembles Busch Light bought cold, then laid out on a beach in Saudi Arabia to warm, then cooled again. Skunky smell, fleeting (luckily) unpleasant taste, and just an overall bad feeling beer. Go out and grab a Hoegaarden instead, you will be much happier with that Belgium throat coater.

3.13/5  rDev +2.3%

At the place I went and had this the yuppie folk were buying this up left and right,I guess its the sheek beer around here.Poured into a fancy glass a straw yellow color with pretty nice head,smell was nothing in particular maybe a little hop?Taste was nothing spectacular a little malty with some thrown in at the end.Belgian Budweiser maybe?Anyways not offended by it but nothing to write home about.

3.03/5  rDev -1%

2.47/5  rDev -19.3%

Appearance – This one poured a bright yellow in color with a huge, foamy head that left clumps all over the inside of my glass.

Smell – This Belgian skunk has a bit of grain to it, but mostly it just reeks. I can hardly sit here and type with this thing two feet away from me.

Taste – The light grain, nasty hop grass, and dead skunk make up this flavor profile. The finish is vomitish in nature and literally made me gag.

Mouthfeel – This is light-bodied with good carbonation.

Sinkability – I couldn’t finish this one if my life depended on it.

3.25/5  rDev +6.2%

3.75/5  rDev +22.5%

2.5/5  rDev -18.3%

2.75/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.96/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into a large Ommegang fute from a can that is best by 02/2013.

a: Brilliant clarity with a straw color and a frothy white head the quickly dissipated leaving a little ring of foam floating around the edge. There was a huge collection of large bubbles lining inside my glass.

s: Right after the pour there was a moderate yeasty aroma that went away quickly leaving little else. There is a faint graininess and a low spicy hop aroma with a slight green apple aroma.

t: There is a low malt sweetness with low levels of spicy hops flavor and a moderately low hops bitterness. The balance slightly favors the bitterness with a crispy dry finish. There is that slight acidic characteristic from high carbonation levels.

m: This is a medium-light body beer with lots of carbonation.

o: There isn't a lot going on in this beer but there isn't supposed to be much with this style. It's a decent example and a good thirst quenching beer but it's kind of flat and lifeless. The nose is clean with out any defects but it is so faint while there is a bit more substance to the flavor it's not by much.

3.45/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a pale straw color with a small, white head.

Aroma isn't too bad, though a little skunky. It has a honeyish malt character with a hint of herbal hops.

Taste is malty, slightly grainy with a kiss of lemon, making for a pleasant note.

Not great but it has enough flavor and body to justify its exsistance. I imagine this could be better on-tap.

2.73/5  rDev -10.8%

This beer looks like a classic pilsner with a head that is very thin but hangs on for the long haul. It gives a musty bread and soap aroma. The taste is a light bodied cracker-tasting malt base and opening lemon-lime sensations have light berry notes that grow to an overall impression of a mouthfull of cheap gummy bears before they are all drowned in a forcefull metallic bitter. In other words, this shit is funky. It has none of the clean, crisp characteristics I look for in this style. I syrupy mouthfeel with stingy carbonation don't help matters, but this is a refreshing brew inspite of itself.

3.03/5  rDev -1%

A- Pours a very clear light yellow liquid that is followed by a fluffy quarter inch head that leaves behind nice mild lacing.

S- Smell is mostly metallic scents, malts and maybe even a little yeast hints. Smells very similar to a Heinekin.

T- First taste is a bitter corn flake flavor followed by malty kicks and finished with a very mild barley there hop bitterness.

M-D- Very dry on the taste buds and rolls over the the tongue very smoothly with no real problem. This beer is drinkable in every way but the price. Good beer but i've had better.

3.25/5  rDev +6.2%