Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,388 | Hads: 4,835

Even before I became a beer geek I never really liked Stella, but since I have not had one in a couple years, I thought I would give it another open-minded chance. That was a mistake.

APPEARANCE: Poured out of the tap a pale yellow. What little head there was vanished almost immediately.

SMELL: The only detectable smell was of corn.

TASTE: This was one of the very few undrinkable beers I have ever had. I was able to get two sips in before having to dump it. The only detectable flavor reminded me of the smell of cat urine. It was wretched.

MOUTHFEEL: I wasn't able to take a third sip in order to figure out what the mouthfeel was like.

OVERALL: This was simply an undrinkable beer.

1.1/5  rDev -64.1%

Another pale euro lager to the bone. Light and sweet through yellow body, marginal head, and marginal lacing to boot.

Smells like some artificial sweetener and grain. Nothing good about this.

Much like the nose, this is sweet and nasty stuff. I don’t often just say a beer tastes like shit but damn this one is king! This is just awful. The grains and the body are ok but the sweet flavor at the front is just beyond off putting.

To add insult to insult this one is over carbonated and is hard to drink as a result.

While this has more flavor than a bud or bud light the flavor here is just terrible. This is not as bad as a miller chill but damn it is bad!

1.15/5  rDev -62.4%

First had: don't remember, but have had on tap an in bottles

Pours--typically into its own signature glassware, because it's so elitist and so Belgian--a clear golden yellow, fizzy, with a large frothy white head. Aroma of pale grains, corn, light yeast, ever so slightly floral. Taste of pale, stale grains, skunky, slightly sweet, slightly sour, but no really distinctive flavor ever coming to the foreground, other than the skunk which leaves an acrid aftertaste. Light body, and drinkable only in complete desperation.

A "fancy" glass doesn't make a beer good.

1.22/5  rDev -60.1%

Had had this brew several years ago and thought it a decent lager. Obviously my tastes and experience level have changed. Or maybe the beer got worse?
Pours a clear, pale yellow with a head full of big bubbles that drops like a rock.
Smell is strictly hops, huge and exclusively. Smells like any other megabrew lager.
Taste is hops and nothing else. This is Bud/Coors/Miller with slightly more flavor.
Mouthfeel is light/medium bodied and very fizzy. Not effervescent, just fizzy, like tonic water.
Drinkability: WHY? The aforementioned tonic water is higher on my list to drink than this dreck.Glad it was only a tasting. I poured this one on the ground. Alas, NOT a waste.

1.28/5  rDev -58.2%

What's up with the hype behind this brew? Looks like dishwater runoff and doesn't taste any better. Had it on tap at the Irish Pub, Atlantic City. It did come in a cool goblet that I took the liberty of keeping. Save your money and have a coke, I wouldn't drink this stuff it was free.

1.29/5  rDev -57.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: dark golden colour, bubbly and with more carbonation than a Heineken. Builds a creamy head that dissipates slowly.

Smell: as someone said before, it smells really bad, and I've drunk quite a few. They're always the same, like a roasted skunk, similar to the Heineken.

Taste: its stronger than a Heineken, a little bit better, but still too sour and bitter for my taste.

Mouthfeel: it's like drinking something like a "bread vinegar", that's the best way to describe it.

Overall: I've never liked this beer that much, I drink it only if there's no other choice at the local bars, which unfortunately, it's what usually happens.

1.32/5  rDev -56.9%

Remember one cardinal rule of beer bottles. If it's brown, I'm down, if its green, flush it down the latrine, if its transparent, skunking is apparent. I wanted to flush this beer down the latrine so bad. Very watery, generic hoppiness and generic maltiness, only average looks. I'm just not impressed by this beer.

1.35/5  rDev -55.9%

Pours an unimpressive straw yellow with a bit of a lingering white head.

Smells like generic corn and yeast. Mostly like any other popular lager.

Taste is almost nonexistant. Tastes like carbonated water with a little floral alcohol. More or less like water. Bleh.

Tons of carbonation. Kind of obnoxious.

Overall, it's generic swill. Basically beer water. Do not want.

1.35/5  rDev -55.9%

Only thing on top that seemed interesting and worth a try. Wrong move by me

Pale fizzy yellow with small head that goes away fast.

Funny fruity smell to it is all I can say

This starts off as any other typical lager except that it leaves an awful overly sweet bitter taste in your mouth that your just dying to get rid of.

Very watery.

I could not manage to drink the whole beer and gave up after half.

1.36/5  rDev -55.6%

Half pint at local wetherspoons.

A- Pale blonde, crown head that leaves little lacing.

S- Very faint musty hop aroma, grassy

T- Bland, a watery hoppiness in the finish, but it finishes so fast, you couldnt detect any real hop or malt qualities

M- Horribly overly carbonated, abrasive even. Assaults the tongue and uncomfortable sitting in the stomach.

D- Had 2 mouthfuls and couldnt stand it any more, an insult to beer in my opinion.

1.38/5  rDev -54.9%

A nice golden color with a frothy head that fades quickly. Smells awful, skunk, sour smelling I almost did not taste it because of the off putting odor. I tastes poor at first, and then just lain bad. had to pour it down the stink, ohh I mean sink. I have to wonder if this bottle got warm and then cold again because I smelled and tasted so much SKUNK! I really had higher hopes of this beer being good. I heard of it years ago and always wanted to try it. I really would have liked to have had an American Lager after tasting this. Feels kind of light in my mouth.

1.4/5  rDev -54.2%

I still cannot figure out what style of beer this is or is trying to be. Is it a belgian blonde? No..er, let's hope not. A belgian lager..what is that anyway? This is one of the 10 worst beers ever. No head whatsoever, no lacing. Barely any taste except some foul skunky aftertaste. Just the way it smells is appalling. Very skunky. No sugary belgian candies...nothing. I've had this a couple times, but this is finally the last time.

1.43/5  rDev -53.3%

This was truly an awful beer from start to finish, and is not going to get a proper review. It smelled like a typical green bottled lager, and tasted even worse. It tasted like a watered down lager that some idiot had dumped some pepper into. Yes, pepper. That was the only taste I got. The saddest thing is that I drank this beer after having a Coors Light (yea, wasn't a great beer night) and if I had the chance I would have had the Coors Light again. I will never have another Stella. Absolute failure of a beer. I actually had some decent expectations for this, but was completely disappointed. Avoid this beer at all costs. You will be better of choosing a BMC.

1.43/5  rDev -53.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer is overrated and way overpriced, there's nothing special here. For about the same price you can buy much better beers, like Heineken, Carlsberg, Samuel Adams, Beck's or for an even lower price, you can buy some American pale lagers, like Schlitz and others like it.

1.45/5  rDev -52.6%

I am so happy to see this utter garbage on the bottom of the barrel list. I have hated this beer for years and hope to bury it even further. This beer looks like any other macro crap, the smell is mostly skunk. The biggest problem with this beer is its skunky and harshly biting taste. It tastes terrible and is impossbile to drink.

1.46/5  rDev -52.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.5

Ordered a stella arskunk. Comes in a pretty green bottle. Served at about 34 degrees the way ab likes. Smells like a rolling rock. Tastes like a Belgian rolling rock. I ordered it hoping it was coming on tap since i was at a decidedly low brow bar. It obviously did not. I believe this beer could be better if it wasn't being abused by the sun and every other mild light source. I guess i should've stepped up to the red stripe(in a brown bottle) knowing this joint. Most beers are some lager macro-variant. The 4 ales in the beer cooler are #9, bass, sierra nevada, and new castle. Glad 1998 is alive and well in this bar.
Reviewed at the flagship Brubakers in lovely downtown Akron, OH.

1.48/5  rDev -51.6%

I had this beer directly off the tap. It was being poured through a high pressure Euro-faucet & was pushed by nitrogen (instead off carbon dioxide), So, this in itself gave it a tight, wonderful head that sat about an inch over the rim of the "Stella" glass. Poured clean with a light amber hue.

Unfortunately, this is where the story takes a turn. I generally don't wait for the head to dissapate, at least not when I try a beer for the first time. I like to dive right in to get a combination of the foam & liquid while I breath in through my nose as I swallow. I would have been better off holding my nose so I wouldn't smell a thing! I don't know what they use when they brew this, but this stuff was by far the skunkiest, most pungent brew I've ever had. It smelled far worse than it actually tasted. The taste & general carbination were pretty common for your Eastern European lagers. I've had this both on tap & in the bottle and the aroma seems to be more prevelent on tap. It could be the pressure whipping up the brew and releasing more toxins...I don't know
Unfortunately, Belgium's most popular beer is not thier best example. If I were recommending a nice starter Belgium...I would say try a Witkap Pater Single(5%abv), Leffe Blonde (5%abv) or Val-Due Blonde (6%abv).

1.5/5  rDev -51%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

(bottle, revisited) haven't had this one in a while and probably won't ever have again. could hardly taste anything. Had on tap a few years back and it wasn't any better.

1.5/5  rDev -51%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Had had this brew at macgregors. Bob warned me that it tastes like soapy dishwater. And it does. I guess it is one of those status beers like corona. People think they are the shit drinking this nasty shit because it is expensive yet they know nothing about good beer. This pours a very clear pale yellow with a creamy white head that does not last. The smell and taste is hoppy but not good hoppy. It smells like chemical ass. The taste is similar. Mouthfeel is light and fizzy. Well I had this because it was 2.75 for 20 ounces(the new november specials) but damn this is not close to being drinkable.

1.51/5  rDev -50.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Stella Artois is a very clear, pale golden lager with a foamy white head that has decent retention and lacing. It has a skunky aroma with notes of grass and lemon. Yeah, it has the green bottle whiff. It's light bodied, pretty watery, prickly and not very smooth. It leaves the palate a little gritty. It has a skunky, green bottle flavor. The best part of the flavor is my burps, which taste a little like noble hops-- maybe Saaz? Now I remember why I don't buy this.

1.52/5  rDev -50.3%

Yellow amber clear look, smells ghastly, tastes malty and grainy with not much body. Tangy aftertaste and average mouthfeel. Below average drink on my opinion, therefore only opt in if no other options available. Definitely drinkable, bit otherwise insipid at best.

1.56/5  rDev -49%

A: Looks like typical german style lager
S: Smells a bit of ether
T: Typical lager at first with skunky after taste. Strong alcohol flavor takes away from beer.
M: Sweet at first. Then light, then strange after taste.
D: asked bartender to trade me after a couple of sips.

InBev AB major import from Belgium to US. If they toned down the strength, it would be better. There is an after taste that I can not pinpoint but it doesn't agree with me. I have had in belgium before and don't remember such a poor experience, maybe if they make it local it would be fresher.

1.58/5  rDev -48.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Belgium’s original beer, from er, Luton. Had to review the ubiquitous wife beater, you know, to take the rough with the smooth. This one falls in the latter category.

Poured a pale straw colour, fizziness abound, with what could best be described as a white foamy scum on the top, consisting of large bubbles, and a smell, which hits you on pouring. Rancid, wet cardboard, slightly sweaty, with a corn character, which is probably chemical in origin for all I know. The sweet taste had a nasty kind of bitter finish, which clings to the palate for dear life. I noticed a taste of alcohol, even though it's only 5.4%. A fizzy watery concoction which, if it was stronger, could qualify for tramp juice. I think the advertising owes a lot to the success of this abomination in these here parts, making it seem more sophisticated than it is. That said, if you just want to get trashed after a rubbish week in work, then this is the poison to do it with, although if you enjoy good beer, have a curry with it to overpower the taste.

1.58/5  rDev -48.4%

I had this beer on a night when a buddy of mine and I were trying what was new on tap in Carbondale, Illinois. I had about 3 or 4 beers prior to this one and was on the road to having a pretty decent night. Then I ordered a Stella at Buffalo Wild Wings. It looked like a standard lager, and smelled about standard but when it hit my tongue it tasted unpleasantly skunky. Keep in mind, this was on tap; otherwise, I would just have written it off as some bottles left in the sun. I let my buddy take a sip (he's a bigger beer advocate than me) and he quickly passed it back over, making note of its unpleasant flavor. Kind of like a uber-skunky Heineken, I suppose. The worst part about the flavor is that it seemed to intensify in the aftertaste. Ugh. I didn't even finish it. I had about two more beers after that and could never seem to get rid of that awful taste on my tongue. Later that night, I awoke from my sleep to rush to the toilet, (something I haven't done since having way too many mixed drinks on New Years Eve) to purge my system of the awful stuff. Needless to say, I definately don't get the hype surrounding this awful lager... stay away from it. Stay far, far away...

1.58/5  rDev -48.4%

sampled from a 12 oz bottle.
a: pours a light gold color with a thin white head
s: only smell present is alcohol, and a small hint of hop aroma,
t; taste is what you expect from a green bottle, skunky , dry,very little hop or malt taste present, as is the case in most masse produced lagers/pilsners.
d: one and done with this beer , i will probablly use the rest of the six pack to marinate meat.

Stella Artois from Stella Artois