1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,273 | Reviews: 1,287 | Show All Ratings:
StoneTSR

Colorado

Even before I became a beer geek I never really liked Stella, but since I have not had one in a couple years, I thought I would give it another open-minded chance. That was a mistake.

APPEARANCE: Poured out of the tap a pale yellow. What little head there was vanished almost immediately.

SMELL: The only detectable smell was of corn.

TASTE: This was one of the very few undrinkable beers I have ever had. I was able to get two sips in before having to dump it. The only detectable flavor reminded me of the smell of cat urine. It was wretched.

MOUTHFEEL: I wasn't able to take a third sip in order to figure out what the mouthfeel was like.

OVERALL: This was simply an undrinkable beer.

02-27-2011 21:37:41 | More by StoneTSR
bobhits

Kentucky

1.1/5  rDev -64.2%

Another pale euro lager to the bone. Light and sweet through yellow body, marginal head, and marginal lacing to boot.

Smells like some artificial sweetener and grain. Nothing good about this.

Much like the nose, this is sweet and nasty stuff. I don’t often just say a beer tastes like shit but damn this one is king! This is just awful. The grains and the body are ok but the sweet flavor at the front is just beyond off putting.

To add insult to insult this one is over carbonated and is hard to drink as a result.

While this has more flavor than a bud or bud light the flavor here is just terrible. This is not as bad as a miller chill but damn it is bad!

12-10-2011 16:18:15 | More by bobhits
Rifugium

1.13/5  rDev -63.2%

First had: don't remember, but have had on tap an in bottles

Pours--typically into its own signature glassware, because it's so elitist and so Belgian--a clear golden yellow, fizzy, with a large frothy white head. Aroma of pale grains, corn, light yeast, ever so slightly floral. Taste of pale, stale grains, skunky, slightly sweet, slightly sour, but no really distinctive flavor ever coming to the foreground, other than the skunk which leaves an acrid aftertaste. Light body, and drinkable only in complete desperation.

A "fancy" glass doesn't make a beer good.

06-28-2011 12:28:31 | More by Rifugium
PorterLambic

1.2/5  rDev -60.9%

Had had this brew several years ago and thought it a decent lager. Obviously my tastes and experience level have changed. Or maybe the beer got worse?
Pours a clear, pale yellow with a head full of big bubbles that drops like a rock.
Smell is strictly hops, huge and exclusively. Smells like any other megabrew lager.
Taste is hops and nothing else. This is Bud/Coors/Miller with slightly more flavor.
Mouthfeel is light/medium bodied and very fizzy. Not effervescent, just fizzy, like tonic water.
Drinkability: WHY? The aforementioned tonic water is higher on my list to drink than this dreck.Glad it was only a tasting. I poured this one on the ground. Alas, NOT a waste.

03-01-2005 04:19:03 | More by PorterLambic
cptnjck101

1.3/5  rDev -57.7%

What's up with the hype behind this brew? Looks like dishwater runoff and doesn't taste any better. Had it on tap at the Irish Pub, Atlantic City. It did come in a cool goblet that I took the liberty of keeping. Save your money and have a coke, I wouldn't drink this stuff it was free.

06-08-2004 06:14:30 | More by cptnjck101
seanyfo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

1.3/5  rDev -57.7%

Half pint at local wetherspoons.

A- Pale blonde, crown head that leaves little lacing.

S- Very faint musty hop aroma, grassy

T- Bland, a watery hoppiness in the finish, but it finishes so fast, you couldnt detect any real hop or malt qualities

M- Horribly overly carbonated, abrasive even. Assaults the tongue and uncomfortable sitting in the stomach.

D- Had 2 mouthfuls and couldnt stand it any more, an insult to beer in my opinion.

03-24-2008 13:32:36 | More by seanyfo
tr4nc3d

Kansas

1.3/5  rDev -57.7%

Only thing on top that seemed interesting and worth a try. Wrong move by me

Pale fizzy yellow with small head that goes away fast.

Funny fruity smell to it is all I can say

This starts off as any other typical lager except that it leaves an awful overly sweet bitter taste in your mouth that your just dying to get rid of.

Very watery.

I could not manage to drink the whole beer and gave up after half.

01-09-2009 03:06:04 | More by tr4nc3d
tjd112

1.3/5  rDev -57.7%

Remember one cardinal rule of beer bottles. If it's brown, I'm down, if its green, flush it down the latrine, if its transparent, skunking is apparent. I wanted to flush this beer down the latrine so bad. Very watery, generic hoppiness and generic maltiness, only average looks. I'm just not impressed by this beer.

02-11-2010 19:59:34 | More by tjd112
RTJakarta

Kentucky

1.3/5  rDev -57.7%

Pours an unimpressive straw yellow with a bit of a lingering white head.

Smells like generic corn and yeast. Mostly like any other popular lager.

Taste is almost nonexistant. Tastes like carbonated water with a little floral alcohol. More or less like water. Bleh.

Tons of carbonation. Kind of obnoxious.

Overall, it's generic swill. Basically beer water. Do not want.

07-03-2011 06:13:39 | More by RTJakarta
bigdeuce

1.4/5  rDev -54.4%

I still cannot figure out what style of beer this is or is trying to be. Is it a belgian blonde? No..er, let's hope not. A belgian lager..what is that anyway? This is one of the 10 worst beers ever. No head whatsoever, no lacing. Barely any taste except some foul skunky aftertaste. Just the way it smells is appalling. Very skunky. No sugary belgian candies...nothing. I've had this a couple times, but this is finally the last time.

07-05-2006 17:50:53 | More by bigdeuce
jrallen34

1.4/5  rDev -54.4%

I am so happy to see this utter garbage on the bottom of the barrel list. I have hated this beer for years and hope to bury it even further. This beer looks like any other macro crap, the smell is mostly skunk. The biggest problem with this beer is its skunky and harshly biting taste. It tastes terrible and is impossbile to drink.

08-10-2010 20:18:37 | More by jrallen34
AWolfAtTheDoor

1.43/5  rDev -53.4%

This was truly an awful beer from start to finish, and is not going to get a proper review. It smelled like a typical green bottled lager, and tasted even worse. It tasted like a watered down lager that some idiot had dumped some pepper into. Yes, pepper. That was the only taste I got. The saddest thing is that I drank this beer after having a Coors Light (yea, wasn't a great beer night) and if I had the chance I would have had the Coors Light again. I will never have another Stella. Absolute failure of a beer. I actually had some decent expectations for this, but was completely disappointed. Avoid this beer at all costs. You will be better of choosing a BMC.

08-31-2010 04:18:47 | More by AWolfAtTheDoor
sirhoward

1.45/5  rDev -52.8%

I had this beer directly off the tap. It was being poured through a high pressure Euro-faucet & was pushed by nitrogen (instead off carbon dioxide), So, this in itself gave it a tight, wonderful head that sat about an inch over the rim of the "Stella" glass. Poured clean with a light amber hue.

Unfortunately, this is where the story takes a turn. I generally don't wait for the head to dissapate, at least not when I try a beer for the first time. I like to dive right in to get a combination of the foam & liquid while I breath in through my nose as I swallow. I would have been better off holding my nose so I wouldn't smell a thing! I don't know what they use when they brew this, but this stuff was by far the skunkiest, most pungent brew I've ever had. It smelled far worse than it actually tasted. The taste & general carbination were pretty common for your Eastern European lagers. I've had this both on tap & in the bottle and the aroma seems to be more prevelent on tap. It could be the pressure whipping up the brew and releasing more toxins...I don't know
Unfortunately, Belgium's most popular beer is not thier best example. If I were recommending a nice starter Belgium...I would say try a Witkap Pater Single(5%abv), Leffe Blonde (5%abv) or Val-Due Blonde (6%abv).

12-04-2003 11:05:18 | More by sirhoward
dazdave

1.48/5  rDev -51.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.5

Ordered a stella arskunk. Comes in a pretty green bottle. Served at about 34 degrees the way ab likes. Smells like a rolling rock. Tastes like a Belgian rolling rock. I ordered it hoping it was coming on tap since i was at a decidedly low brow bar. It obviously did not. I believe this beer could be better if it wasn't being abused by the sun and every other mild light source. I guess i should've stepped up to the red stripe(in a brown bottle) knowing this joint. Most beers are some lager macro-variant. The 4 ales in the beer cooler are #9, bass, sierra nevada, and new castle. Glad 1998 is alive and well in this bar.
Reviewed at the flagship Brubakers in lovely downtown Akron, OH.

02-05-2013 03:43:25 | More by dazdave
kbnooshay

1.5/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Had had this brew at macgregors. Bob warned me that it tastes like soapy dishwater. And it does. I guess it is one of those status beers like corona. People think they are the shit drinking this nasty shit because it is expensive yet they know nothing about good beer. This pours a very clear pale yellow with a creamy white head that does not last. The smell and taste is hoppy but not good hoppy. It smells like chemical ass. The taste is similar. Mouthfeel is light and fizzy. Well I had this because it was 2.75 for 20 ounces(the new november specials) but damn this is not close to being drinkable.

11-05-2005 16:45:24 | More by kbnooshay
Hap

1.5/5  rDev -51.1%

I had this beer on a night when a buddy of mine and I were trying what was new on tap in Carbondale, Illinois. I had about 3 or 4 beers prior to this one and was on the road to having a pretty decent night. Then I ordered a Stella at Buffalo Wild Wings. It looked like a standard lager, and smelled about standard but when it hit my tongue it tasted unpleasantly skunky. Keep in mind, this was on tap; otherwise, I would just have written it off as some bottles left in the sun. I let my buddy take a sip (he's a bigger beer advocate than me) and he quickly passed it back over, making note of its unpleasant flavor. Kind of like a uber-skunky Heineken, I suppose. The worst part about the flavor is that it seemed to intensify in the aftertaste. Ugh. I didn't even finish it. I had about two more beers after that and could never seem to get rid of that awful taste on my tongue. Later that night, I awoke from my sleep to rush to the toilet, (something I haven't done since having way too many mixed drinks on New Years Eve) to purge my system of the awful stuff. Needless to say, I definately don't get the hype surrounding this awful lager... stay away from it. Stay far, far away...

07-16-2006 16:39:53 | More by Hap
yesyouam

1.5/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Stella Artois is a very clear, pale golden lager with a foamy white head that has decent retention and lacing. It has a skunky aroma with notes of grass and lemon. Yeah, it has the green bottle whiff. It's light bodied, pretty watery, prickly and not very smooth. It leaves the palate a little gritty. It has a skunky, green bottle flavor. The best part of the flavor is my burps, which taste a little like noble hops-- maybe Saaz? Now I remember why I don't buy this.

02-14-2010 18:48:15 | More by yesyouam
jimiboi

Australia

1.5/5  rDev -51.1%

Yellow amber clear look, smells ghastly, tastes malty and grainy with not much body. Tangy aftertaste and average mouthfeel. Below average drink on my opinion, therefore only opt in if no other options available. Definitely drinkable, bit otherwise insipid at best.

08-09-2013 11:17:50 | More by jimiboi
xraided81

1.55/5  rDev -49.5%

sampled from a 12 oz bottle.
a: pours a light gold color with a thin white head
s: only smell present is alcohol, and a small hint of hop aroma,
t; taste is what you expect from a green bottle, skunky , dry,very little hop or malt taste present, as is the case in most masse produced lagers/pilsners.
d: one and done with this beer , i will probablly use the rest of the six pack to marinate meat.

06-07-2010 05:47:57 | More by xraided81
MP72

1.58/5  rDev -48.5%

A-pale straw into a tulip pint glass with a white thin head that did not last at all.

S- mostly of skunked euro swill or some of the other green bottled German lagers. Not sure if this is normal or if they just go bad in the green bottle from sun.

T- same as the smell , basically like drinking right behind a skunk that just sprayed.

M- Fizzy and boring nothing special , nothing horrible.

D- to me it was awful but it may have been a bad bottle.

I drank this on tap in England years ago and really enjoyed it. The bottle I reviewed was unimpressive and IMHO terrible for a highly touted Belgian.

11-17-2008 19:17:29 | More by MP72
zebedee

United Kingdom (England)

1.6/5  rDev -47.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Belgium’s original beer, from er, Luton. Had to review the ubiquitous wife beater, you know, to take the rough with the smooth. This one falls in the latter category.

Poured a pale straw colour, fizziness abound, with what could best be described as a white foamy scum on the top, consisting of large bubbles, and a smell, which hits you on pouring. Rancid, wet cardboard, slightly sweaty, with a corn character, which is probably chemical in origin for all I know. The sweet taste had a nasty kind of bitter finish, which clings to the palate for dear life. I noticed a taste of alcohol, even though it's only 5.4%. A fizzy watery concoction which, if it was stronger, could qualify for tramp juice. I think the advertising owes a lot to the success of this abomination in these here parts, making it seem more sophisticated than it is. That said, if you just want to get trashed after a rubbish week in work, then this is the poison to do it with, although if you enjoy good beer, have a curry with it to overpower the taste.

Serving type: can

08-28-2006 01:15:15 | More by zebedee
Spica66

Indiana

1.6/5  rDev -47.9%

A: very light gold, very thin head.
S: smells like nothing maybe? or just the slightest hint of hops, I am reaching for anything...
T: What little taste it has is skunky and sour. Yuck!
M: I am sure that this light, weak mouthfeel is right for the style.
D: I couldn't finish it...

I can't believe that this beer sells. I might even say that I would rather have a Budweiser.

06-07-2010 20:24:14 | More by Spica66
cmula

1.6/5  rDev -47.9%

A: Looks like typical german style lager
S: Smells a bit of ether
T: Typical lager at first with skunky after taste. Strong alcohol flavor takes away from beer.
M: Sweet at first. Then light, then strange after taste.
D: asked bartender to trade me after a couple of sips.

InBev AB major import from Belgium to US. If they toned down the strength, it would be better. There is an after taste that I can not pinpoint but it doesn't agree with me. I have had in belgium before and don't remember such a poor experience, maybe if they make it local it would be fresher.

01-10-2011 02:23:30 | More by cmula
derekmorris7

1.68/5  rDev -45.3%

Beer had a foggy yellowish gold appearance with a low carbonation. Head was nowhere to be found.

A > Unimpressive, gold lagerish color with a fog or haze to it.

S > Mild but has a metallic tinge

T > Was awful, metallic, with a slightly bitter taste

M > little cling but dirty/metallic aftertaste

D > Dont do it, gross

02-14-2011 00:25:17 | More by derekmorris7
Hoagie1973

1.7/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

This beer should apologize to the country of Belgium. Belgium should make this brewery pack up and move to another country... like France.
Ordered on tap at TGIFriday's. Came in a tall weizen glass with no head.
Smelled like your typical macro lager and a skunk. My first experience with draft beer being skunked. That's not supposed to happen.
Tasted like weak malt with a strange bitterness in the finish; not a good hop bitterness, just a weird oily bitter flavor. Unpleasant.
At $5.69 for a 20oz draft, this is not something I'll ever do again.
Avoid this swill. A black mark on the reputation of a country that brews some of the finest beer in the world.

06-02-2008 04:38:47 | More by Hoagie1973