Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,388 | Hads: 4,834
2.84/5  rDev -7.2%

Can poured into a tulip

Appearance pours a golden straw color with a white head, clear and very thin looking, lots of carbonation, some head retention, some lacing, looks like watered down apple juice. Smell, wet cardboard, musty, smells really bad. Taste, first impression, it's not as bad as it smells, hay, honey, touch of hops, malts, it is actually pretty smooth and very easy drinking, it does have some crispness. Mouthfeel is light, good amount of carbonation, semi-dry finish.

Overall: Worst part of this beer is the smell, smells horrible like wet cardboard and must, best part is the taste, it's not that bad, it drinks easy, it's smooth but it doesn't have a whole lot of flavor, just enough to give it some slight quality. It's better than I expected.

3.54/5  rDev +15.7%

I usually drink these out of a 22 oz. bottle, and they are rather foamy but they taste very crisp and refreshing. It has a very odd smell to it, but that didn't do anything to deter me from drinking this and I do enjoy it.

1.29/5  rDev -57.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: dark golden colour, bubbly and with more carbonation than a Heineken. Builds a creamy head that dissipates slowly.

Smell: as someone said before, it smells really bad, and I've drunk quite a few. They're always the same, like a roasted skunk, similar to the Heineken.

Taste: its stronger than a Heineken, a little bit better, but still too sour and bitter for my taste.

Mouthfeel: it's like drinking something like a "bread vinegar", that's the best way to describe it.

Overall: I've never liked this beer that much, I drink it only if there's no other choice at the local bars, which unfortunately, it's what usually happens.

2.82/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Much like an American adjunct lager, this beer doesn't have much to offer. Rather watery, with some grain and grass character. super light body with ample carbonation and a poor aftertaste. No real substance here, just marketing. Take a pass.

3.09/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is not a beer you want to smell before drinking. It smells horrible, however it does not taste like it smells. I like the taste a lot for a lighter beer. It's better then American light beer but it's not a great beer by any means. It's just drinkable and low cal. If you're at a tailgate it's a good beer.

2.47/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

Totally inoffensive beer that is somewhat more drinkable than the most popular macro lagers, but it still suffers from having primary flavors of grain and just a touch of hops. A little bit skunky, but again, there's not much going on. The mouthfeel is the best part, as this does manage to be crisp and quite drinkable. However, it's certainly not worth the somewhat higher price. As craft beers become more accessible, this beer should continue to become less popular (I hope).

2.82/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured into some wine-looking drinking glass, since it shows it wants to be a special beer, I got it a special glass.
Pours this pale gold color. Minor foam head.
Smells like the type of beer it is, someone mentioned skunky, but milder compared to others of its kind..
Taste is the same, milder taste, not as strong or bitter in flavor as others of its kind.
Drinks smooth, mild to moderate carbonation. Goes down easy.
Overall: it reminds me of a milder Heineken. Would be easier to start with if these kinds of beers aren't to your taste.

I'd give it a 4 straight across. One of the better Euro Pale Lagers I've had. Not as sophisticated as it's hyped up to be. Not bad tasting either. Kinda pricey. I'll grab a domestic Busch Beer when I want something light but would still drink this.

3.77/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Clear Pale gold one chubby bone white finger of head. Lasts about ten minutes and leaves some decent amount of lace in its wake. Smell is sweet malts with some herbal hop notes.
Taste is mild white bread malt with just enough herbal grassy hops to balance. Crisp clean mouthfeel with high carbonation. It has a mildly bitter drying finish. A very light bodied beer that is almost like drinking a sparkling wine.
Overall a well constructed brew for those folks that don't want any bold flavors. Of course my bottle was very fresh and did not get a visit by the dreaded "skunk".

2.55/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Thanks, Ricardo!

A clear green as I drink this out of the bottle, this looks OK, I guess. The nose is mildly skunky with little else. Extremely inoffensive otherwise, this beer is crisp on the palate, a little bitter and outside of some skunk, there's little else going on. An adequate replacement for seltzer water, maybe?

1.38/5  rDev -54.9%

A nice golden color with a frothy head that fades quickly. Smells awful, skunk, sour smelling I almost did not taste it because of the off putting odor. I tastes poor at first, and then just lain bad. had to pour it down the stink, ohh I mean sink. I have to wonder if this bottle got warm and then cold again because I smelled and tasted so much SKUNK! I really had higher hopes of this beer being good. I heard of it years ago and always wanted to try it. I really would have liked to have had an American Lager after tasting this. Feels kind of light in my mouth.

3.03/5  rDev -1%

Bottle at MS dinner open bar. Stange.

A: bright gold with 1/4 finger white head that turns to very thin white ring. Moderate carbonation. Barely any lacing, but there is some.

S: smell like beer. Nothing offensive. No hops to speak of. Not really malty; just a plain, grainy beer smell.

T: mild, beery, clean very dry and ever so slightly bitter arrival. Light and dry maltiness mid palate, followed by a clean bittering. Very refreshing.

M: fizzy, and more carbonated than it appears. Clean finish.

O: this is beer. Nothing wrong with it, I guess, but I'd sooner buy Budweiser. At least it tastes like something.

3.23/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a golden yellow hue with a floral head. Smelled of sweet grains. Tasted like grain. Overall refreshing but there are better options in this style.

3.55/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Somehow this iconic beer passed me and this is my first time trying it so here it goes.

Presentation - Green bottle (yuck) with the setlla logos and a paper cover around the cap

Appearance - Pours an extremely clear straw color 2 fingers foamy head which lasts a few minutes. decent carbonation seen right away.

Aroma - not much smell here common of macro lagers, what I can smell is some malted grains and light floral hops.

Taste - first I taste light hops and a very subtle bitterness followed by some Grainy malts, it is a bit watery for my taste.

Mouth feel - very light body perfect for a hot day on a terrasse. good amount of carbonation, almost prickly on the tongue.

Overall - There are still plenty of beers I would choose before this but that being said if I was in a grocery store full of macros this would make the list of things id buy.

4.6/5  rDev +50.3%

Oh Stella I feel you've been my friend through the thick and thin of drinkhood. One of my first and hopefully one of my last you'll be the friend that catches me in your soft yet supple breasts of deliciousness.

3.25/5  rDev +6.2%

Like Heinekens better looking sister.
Yeah its drinkable.
Slight skunky . Head that fades fast.
Small hint of hops. Wheat eurotrash mass produced drink for the masses who are out to dinner and want something better than Heineken. It's not better by much. .

3.82/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Clear golden straw color, 1/2 white head that fades to a thin layer on top, lively carbonation coming up from the bottom, good lacing

S: Biscuity malts, slight smell of hops in the background

T: Sweet biscuity malts right up front, some yeast skunkyness and a little hop bitterness at the end.

M: Really effervescent from those bubbles I mentioned before, dry crispness usually characteristic of a lager

O: A really excellent lager. In my opinion one of the best widely available lagers on the market.

2.81/5  rDev -8.2%

I really dislike this beer, but may just be my hate for european lagers. In terms of the taste, it's not horrible but it lacks flavor. It reminds me of sipping on pellegrino water. The smell is the most unpleasant part since it smells bitter and sour. It feels like I'm drinking carbonated water and doesn't have much taste. This beer is very similar to a Dos Equis in my opinion, and couldn't justify paying more for this in comparison to a cerveza.

3.5/5  rDev +14.4%

Green bottles sell a lot of beer but this one was skunky with a corn taste, flabby, oxidized, papery and somewhat thin. It has more malt and hops than a Bud, Millers or Coors and is a refreshing drink when not abused but still somewhat insipid. Lately too many of these have been light struck.

1.84/5  rDev -39.9%

This is a beer that I really expected to be, and tried to make, better. A bunch of my friends love and swear by this brew... not sure why. It resembles Busch Light bought cold, then laid out on a beach in Saudi Arabia to warm, then cooled again. Skunky smell, fleeting (luckily) unpleasant taste, and just an overall bad feeling beer. Go out and grab a Hoegaarden instead, you will be much happier with that Belgium throat coater.

1.5/5  rDev -51%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

(bottle, revisited) haven't had this one in a while and probably won't ever have again. could hardly taste anything. Had on tap a few years back and it wasn't any better.

3.97/5  rDev +29.7%

If you've never had beer, this is a great choice. Smooth and it doesn't have a strong bitter taste. Sadly, once you like IPA's, this will taste really weak. Nevertheless, it's a good beer.

3.13/5  rDev +2.3%

pale yellow colour, small white head. Aroma of malt, grain and hops. Dry sweet taste with lightly bitter hoppy finish and aftertaste. Thin body and average carbonation. Decent pale lager.

2.67/5  rDev -12.7%

Look: That unfortunate depth of straw color that looks exactly like urine. Thin head that dissipates very fast.

Smell: Like a roadkilled skunk. Absolutely terrible. I was about ready to give up on it after that first whiff.

Taste: BUT if do overlook those two aspects, it actually tastes just fine. A pretty solid lager, maybe the quality of Yuengling . Moderately hopped, not much other flavors going on.

Feel: And it falls apart again. feels really slick and thick. Lack of carbonation here.

Overall: I'd have it if you gave it to me. But I'd never buy it again.

Good enough. When faced with this or Heineken as my only two options, I chose this over and over. Meaning it tastes better and it also drinkable, over and over.

Stella Artois from Stella Artois