1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,276 | Reviews: 1,287 | Show All Ratings:
mfnmbvp

3.13/5  rDev +2%

11.2 fl oz. bottle, with best by date 07/16/2014 printed on the label. Ah yes, finally I've acquired a single bottle of Stella Artois to review here on BeerAdvocate. Expectations are fairly low, but I know what I'm getting myself into.

Poured into a miniature Victorian carriage pint glass that I acquired from the local Goodwill.

A - Pours a clear lagered golden straw color with one finger of bone white froth and just a few tiny flakes of sediment in the glass. Some thin stringy lacing. Not half bad looking, for what it is.

S - Smell remains pretty neutral: dark grains, dirty earthiness, wheat, corn & husk, wet paperboard, some must, and some mineral water.

T - Taste follows the nose: clean, crisp pilsner malt, soggy grains, wheat, corn husk, & some mineral water. Light and refreshing.

M - Feel is thin and watery, smooth, crisp, clean, and refreshing. Some soggy corn / grains lingering on the palate. Light-bodied, with moderately high carbonation. Slightly bloating, but otherwise an easy drinker.

Overall, it goes down smooth after a long day, and for being what it is, it is a nice light lager. Certainly light-years ahead of the swill that is Bud Light and Miller Lite, but that might not be saying much. Definitely recommended for what it is, and I would choose it over plenty of these cheap adjunct lagers brewed in America any day.

Stella Artois ---3/5.

12-13-2013 00:26:46 | More by mfnmbvp
Beric

Indiana

3.26/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

1st Review
Serving: Bottle, from the bottle
Served: 8 Jun 2013
Rating: 3.66

2nd Review:
Serving: Bottle, from the bottle
Served: 28 Nov 2013

Second time reviewing this one after having a lot more beer under my belt compared to when I first reviewed this.

Appearance: Had this one from the bottle, so I can't really speak to how it looks in a glass. Good branding though, nice bottle look, and I like the paper around the neck. A sophisticated, clean look.

Smell: Again, from the bottle, so not much to say here. Smells like beer, without too much else going on.

Taste: Compared to other Euro Pale Lagers, this is a clear cut above the rest. A nice, crisp, clean taste, unadulterated with American corn sweetness. No skunkiness despite the green bottle.

Mouthfeel: Bubbly and spritzy, very lively carbonation initially.

Overall: A simple beer and a crowd pleaser. A great, easy drinking party beer that is a clear step above the Football beers of the BMC ilk or Heineken family. One of the best Euro Pale Lagers I've had, and one I'd likely buy if hosting people who might night be keen on the craft scene.

12-02-2013 02:47:05 | More by Beric
CalgaryFMC

Alberta (Canada)

3.18/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I haven't had a Stella since "discovering" craft beer a few years back and tried one on tap at a place where there were few better options. This was a staple in grad school and after having tried so many wonderful Belgian brews there was a certain appeal in rediscovering this best seller from the perspective of someone whose palate has (hopefully) evolved since then. In any event, the pint arrived in the classic Stella glass and although a lot of the time I am less concerned about presentation than other factors such as smell and taste, it was nostalgic to see the glass again. Stella is a pale straw hued, bubbly beer with some white lace and a rather sweet malt and yeast aroma. More yeast on the nose than other pale Euro lagers along with some fruity and floral notes. Hints of spice. The taste is similar, with pale malts and some Belgian yeast character that adds hints of banana and bubblegum that are pallid echoes of those found in craft Belgian offerings but nevertheless welcome. There are dry aromatic hay flavors and a rounded corny sweetness. Unfortunately some stale chemical flavors and DMS show up as the beer warms: Keep it cold if possible. Probably less skunky on tap than in the green bottle but I have not tried the latter recently. Better than the similar Heineken (more yeast character) but certainly a close cousin.

10-24-2013 13:08:03 | More by CalgaryFMC
StoutHunter

3.24/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a can of Stella Artois for $1.99 last week at Glenns Market. I've haven't had a Stella since right around when I turned 21. I don't remember much about it and I don't know if I liked it or not, I thought I would give it another shot for curiosity's sake, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling. Poured from a 16oz can into an imperial pint glass since I don't have the odd shaped chalice that they suggest.

A- The can looks nice, it's got a nice and clean design to it. It poured a clear golden color that took on more of a yellow color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away an left some nice lacing behind. I thought this was a nice looking beer, nothing seems out of place for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by some malts that impart a grainy, pale malt and bread crust like aroma. Up next comes some Belgian yeast that impart a light fruity aroma with an orange aroma seeming to stick out. The aroma was nice and unique for the style.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some sweet and pale malt flavor with some bready and stale malt flavors coming through. Up next comes some of that fruity Belgian yeast that I got in the aroma with slight bit of banana coming through. On the finish there's pretty much no bitterness with a grainy, malty, and yeasty aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer that was unique for it's style.

M- Smooth, crisp, Clean, light bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was decent beer and a good example of the style, it doesn't taste too similar to some of the other Euro Pale Lagers I have tried and I think that's mainly because of the yeast used in this beer, it imparts a unique flavor for the style. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, crisp, not filling, and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a few of these if I wanted to catch a buzz. I liked how unique this beer was the most. I liked the slight stale malt flavor the least. I would buy this if I wanted to take some beer to party and wasn't in the mood for craft beer and I think I would order this in a bar if there wasn't any better options. I would recommend this to people looking for a somewhat flavorful session ale. All in all this beer turned out to be better then I thought it would, It's not bad at all, I think it's a solid choice when not much is available.

Serving type: can

10-20-2013 20:42:24 | More by StoutHunter
BucannonXC5

3.26/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Type: 11.2-oz. bottle
Glass: Stone Ruination IPA pint glass
From: BevMo is La Mesa (San Diego), Calif.
Price: $1.79 (w/ BevMo card)
Purchased: Sept. 26, 2013
Consumed: Sept. 26, 2013
Misc.: Best before June 24, 2014

Poured golden pale clear color with 1-to-2 fingers of frothy white head. Below average lacing along the sides of the glass. Above average amount of white retention all the way down.

Smelled bread, cereal, hay, corn, Belgian spices, peppery spices and a tad bit of caramel.

Tasted similar to the taste, although I would argue not quite as good. Tasted bread, hay, cereal and corn mainly. Spices weren’t as potent as the nose. Move Belgian skunky spices than anything else.

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Watery, abrupt finish.

A lot better than I remember it. Nothing spectacular about this beer, but for the style, which I’m still pretty new to, it’s not too bad.

09-27-2013 03:47:36 | More by BucannonXC5
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

2.48/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sampled before and most recent on 9/6/13. Chilled down to 36 degrees in my beer cooler and poured into a Stella Artois gold-rimed glass. glass. Comes in a 11.2 ounce cool green bottle with a foil top that covers the crown even. Pours a straw yellow with a thick white head that hangs around awhile with decent lacing. Lots of tiny streaming bubbles rising the whole time until the end. The aroma was better than the last bottle I sampled. Maybe fresher? The aroma is still on the 'skunky' side with some grains. The taste was some sweet grass and hops. Slightly better than the last time I tried it but that was probably because of the cool Stella glass I bought. LOL! Maybe better on draught? Never had it that way.

09-09-2013 21:58:27 | More by BeerWithMike
bobby_durrett

Arizona

A - Nice slighly yellow large head. Attractive light yellow color with some small bubbles.

S - Slight lemony smell (or is it the color?).

T - I like the taste. Probably my favorite lager. Some sort of grainy taste or smell - maybe wheat toast? Hint of bitterness but not overpowering.

M - bubbly but not too much. Not too biting. Seems light like I could drink another one.

O - I've been mainly tasting the various ales and craft brewer beer since I've mainly drank lagers in the past. But, of the lagers I've been tasting I think this is my favorite.

08-28-2013 00:42:30 | More by bobby_durrett
emerge077

2.3/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

BBD 03.2014

Thanks Botham for the post-party freebies... this is one i'd never buy.
Are people really that gullible that "expensive = good" when it comes to ABInbev swill?

Pale gold, racing carbonation, puffy head of white foam that falls away after a couple minutes. Lots of lacing in the glass, skim breaks apart before the first sip.

Smells skunky due to the green bottle, and little else.

Tastes like nothing, water with a little skunky hop bitterness. Seriously, this has no taste. Biting carbonation, slightly crisp, yet utterly bland and forgettable. Don't let it warm up, because it starts to taste like hot garbage at room temperature.

A shame to call this beer Belgian. Insipid and numbingly dull, Stella is the antithesis of authentic Belgian brewing tradition.

08-27-2013 23:10:28 | More by emerge077
Beerwolf666

Maryland

3.78/5  rDev +23.1%

I really Like this Beer,it is a very smooth,Crisp Lager with a rather large drinkability factor..in other words these babies slide down super fast! I would say if you like "Heineken" you will like "Stella Artois"..because they pretty much taste almost Identical,and I am a big fan of both,a Fantastic beer for summer cookouts,backyard BBQ's/partys,or when you just want an Ice cold Beer for a thirst quencher,Gr8 session Beer,will not wiegh you down,a very decent mass produced Macro Euro lager IMHO~Cheers!

08-20-2013 14:50:40 | More by Beerwolf666
jimiboi

Australia

1.5/5  rDev -51.1%

Yellow amber clear look, smells ghastly, tastes malty and grainy with not much body. Tangy aftertaste and average mouthfeel. Below average drink on my opinion, therefore only opt in if no other options available. Definitely drinkable, bit otherwise insipid at best.

08-09-2013 11:17:50 | More by jimiboi
dowen17

Alabama

3.11/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A: Didn't have a glass to pour it in because I was just drinking by the pool straight from the bottle. I rated the appearance off of how nice the bottle looks.

S: Sweet smell on the nose with a definite skunk. Some bitterness comes through from the hops and there's also a slight lemon-y scent as well.

T: Sweet with some grassy notes from the hops. Skunky when you swallow and on the aftertaste.

M: Again not a ton going on. Not much carbonation. Very smooth going down.

Overall it's a good beer. Very easy to drink. Would be good on a hot day.

07-29-2013 02:28:10 | More by dowen17
BeerBateo

Ontario (Canada)

3.51/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

See: Poured into my mug, this beer looks as pretty as its name. Golden with minimal bubbles/ 2 1/2 inch fine white head/bit of lace. A thin top layer & edge survives the whole trip down.

Smell: Pleasant~has a hint of sweet lemon like in a lemon meringue pie.

Taste: Very smooth at first, then a gradual building bitter bite at the end. Not too overpowering, though.

Feel: Bitterness stays, but its ok. Now my mouth wants fish and chips.

Blanket: This is very burpy beer & I feel bloated out. Wouldn't want to be drinking this on the beach, iykwim.

AKA: Stella Belly (not as pretty)

Serving type: can

07-27-2013 00:38:04 | More by BeerBateo
Ryan_Graham

Iowa

3.09/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Golden Urine Color. One finger head fades quickly.

S: Sweet honey smell. Grainy.

T: Lacks depth. Grainy sweet taste followed by nothing.

M: Feels like water in your mouth carbonation is very light.

O: Overall, this is an average beer. College kids think it's classy but it's really not all that great. I wish it had more depth. It goes down too much like water. Belgian people probably think of this as the Busch light of Belgium.

07-25-2013 03:09:07 | More by Ryan_Graham
punky796

3.74/5  rDev +21.8%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a light, clear yellow, with a small head on the thinner side in consistency. Some lacing stays, but not a lot.

S - Mostly some light hops and malts, young grass, hay/straw. Not terrible.

T - Grassy, a little more malt than hops, and bitter in kind of a good way. Refreshing, especially if it's really cold.

M - Dry, thin, light, and smooth. Not too offensive with medium-high carbonation. Again, better if it's really cold.

O - Pretty decent stuff overall, one of those beers that will make you think of European/Munich styles immediatey, obviously. It's the corporate Hofbrau.

07-18-2013 02:08:23 | More by punky796
dheacck11

Connecticut

2.89/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Arrived in my fridge from afar...it's been a long time.

Pour is a little wimpy looking. Pale straw yellow , totally clear. scant fizzy white head.

Nose is kinda nice. Decent notes of straw and hay, nice malt, a little lemon. nice.

Taste is not so nice. Little bit of lemon and sweet, followed by an overwhelming boggy mucky skunkiness that just lingers. The malt component is just almost non existent. Finish is strikingly sharp and acrid.

Feel is rather thin, but not quite watery like many mass market lagers.

Sigh. I guess it's good to reflect back on life before craft beer. it was long ago, and I was so much more naive then. Certainly, there is worse out there. But there is sooo much better too. Glad I had a Sucks first.

06-29-2013 23:54:39 | More by dheacck11
Schuttna221

4.35/5  rDev +41.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I really enjoy a nice ice cold Stell Artois especially on a hot day. Its smooth, delicious and I recommend it to others all the time because of the fact that it is a good tasting beer and the Cidre from Stella Artois is just as good. I got a 4 pack of Stella Artois Cidre for my birthday and I really enjoyed drinking them and sharing one with my fiancee. She is not a real big fan of beer but she enjoys Stella Artois just as much as I do.

06-28-2013 13:51:59 | More by Schuttna221
da_beers

3.14/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Bored to tears are at Tampa intl airport and the Beer list is dreadful. Special is dollar off Stella's so here we go.

A - clean light straw with no head to speak of. Decent lacing. Budlight kinda look

S - crisp and tart. Has a bit of a zest. Nothing jumps out at the nose.

T - has a nice crisp bite. As far as draughts at a run of the mill place, you can't go too wrong with a Stella. A little citrus hidden in there. Hard to believe this was originally a holiday beer... I think stouts and porters for Christmas!

M - light body that finishes clean. No aftertaste. Just simple and clean

O - overall it is what it is. It's a great beer when nothing else is available.

06-16-2013 01:00:38 | More by da_beers
IchLiebeBier

3.25/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Straw-gold; clear; effervescent; small head

Aroma: Floral, grassy; slight honey; malty; some citrus

Taste: Juicy malt; herbal, grassy flavor; slightly bitter finish; not bad overall; pretty refreshing

Remarks: Not a bad summer day brew; nothing spectacular, but not too bad

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

06-15-2013 22:53:17 | More by IchLiebeBier
mcb1987

Georgia

There's not much not to like about Stella Artois.

A: A very thin head with little carbonation going on.

S: Very settle, a small about of malts can be detected.

T: A very mild taste, you almost forget its beer.

M: Very smooth!!!

O: This is one of those beers you get for someone that doesn't like the taste of beer. Very mild but very good.

Must try.

06-11-2013 02:13:09 | More by mcb1987
blindnil

Oregon

2.38/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Poured into flute.

A-Pale with light head. Best aspect of the beer.

S-Like I ran over a skunk and then covered it with rotten flowers and grass clippings.

T-Thin, slight bitterness and skunk that fades into adjunct territory.

MF-Thin with a slight noble hop slickness that coats the palette and leaves it skunked.

Overall- There's a reason why Belgians don't drink Stella Artois lager in Belgium and prefer to drink Maes Pils or Jupiler. The latter two are only slightly better than the former.

Save your money unless its free and you're at the pool, beach or playing golf. Its better out of the bottle because that skunk aroma stays where it belongs and not in your nose.

05-28-2013 03:51:14 | More by blindnil
BeerAficionadoMCMXC

3.83/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

God this beer is so good. It's a crisp, refreshing lager and can be drank like water. Flavor is all there, appearance, taste and mouthfeel are all accurate, but the smell could be improved. I've had many in my ife but this one is the one I will review. It has never disappointed me in the bar.

05-20-2013 07:01:07 | More by BeerAficionadoMCMXC
RaphaelSC

Brazil

2.99/5  rDev -2.6%

A: gold yellow, with with head, that vanish in seconds.

S: Some malts very weak, almost imperceptibly.

T:To drink Stella Artois is like to drink another belgian beers, but with a lot of water in it. It is better than most macro-brewery beers, but isn't great. A little above the average beer nothing more than this.

M: A little bitterness, some malts, but nothing remarkable.

O: Another beer to serving in low temperatures without much flavour, still better than the common American Adjunct Lager.

05-14-2013 05:43:56 | More by RaphaelSC
keith_wayne

2.2/5  rDev -28.3%

12oz bottle poured into a regular pint glass

A: pour a nicegold/yellow color with a good 3 finger head. Lacing was excellent.

S: light yeasty bread notes, and skunk. Lots of skunk.

T: some bread, yeast and floral notes. Some of the skunk is coming through, but not overpowering. Not much taste overall

O: Looked great when I poured but smells like skunk. Not a lot of taste.

Don't plan on trying again. The store i buy from is very good so I don't think this was a bad bottle. It reminds me of the average large scale generic Euro or US beers. I don't understand why any beer is in clear or green bottles. Are those bottles cheaper to make? Considering the price, I'll take a PBR or Miller Lite over this.

04-30-2013 01:06:49 | More by keith_wayne
NiceTaps

2.98/5  rDev -2.9%

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

A- It poured a light gold color with a billowy white head, 2-plus finger. The three pours that I base this review on all left plenty of lacing on the glass, and all had lively carbonation. Clean and clear, nice looking pours.

S-Some grass, yeast, and very light note of fruit. Skunkiness and litter box odor dominate this beer's aroma.

T-Bready, yeast, some light fruitiness, some adjunct. Not much flavor.

M- Light bodied with a dry finish and unpleasant aftertaste. It's crisp and refreshing in an odd manner, so 3.25.

O-Euro Adjunct Lager? Belgian imposter? It looked good then went downhill - fast.

04-27-2013 10:35:01 | More by NiceTaps
spoony

Colorado

3.36/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From a 330 ml bottle (best before February 2014) into a globe.

A-This brew is light and mostly yellow in color. There is some carbonation visible, but it is otherwise clear. The head is clean and white. The foam drops from a finger to a thick ring pretty quickly.

S-The smell is a surprisingly strong, but simple, thing. I detect a vague, fruity sweetness, some skunk, some grass, and a touch of butter.

T-The taste is simple and non-offensive. There is some pale malty fruit up front, a corn-like mid-palate, and a slightly grassy, spicy hop note on the finish. This won't be winning any taste contest, but for the style, it fits the bill.

M-This beer is surprisingly heavy feeling and lacking in carbonation. It is a touch watery, but not effervescent like I would have thought.

O-Sure, Stella is the poster child for deceptive "Belgian" marketing, but for a pale, macro lager, one could do worse. I was pleasantly surprised by the aroma, which is intense (all things being relative). If you are looking for a brew to throw down on the golf course or while lounging pool-side on a hot summer day, this might be an option.

04-24-2013 00:29:25 | More by spoony