Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros

dmargittai, May 11, 2012

rmw313, May 11, 2012
3.08/5  rDev 0%

Best before 1/2013.

Pours a crystal clear yellow-gold with a 1 inch foamy white head that settles to a thin cap on top of the beer. Foamy rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of light grain aromas and some pretty serious skunking up front that dissipates with time. Taste is of grains and some herbal and grassy flavors. There is a mild bitterness with each sip that quickly fades. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty average lager all around that's not all that bad once the skunk disappears.

UCLABrewN84, May 10, 2012
2.33/5  rDev -24.4%

Well, I got a free nice looking glass from them thanks to choosing the correct options on a website give-away, so why not try the beer and give it a review. coming off 6 strings of bowling, with salty death pretzels, and bowling alley nachos, I'm dying for liquids, so hopefully it will help this "beer". Also tried my best to buy it fresh from the back of the recently stocked shelf to be the least skunked, hopefully.

It pours a light fizzy pasty white 1/2 finger head into the Stella chalice, that fades at a med pace, with decent looking lacing, although the beer is a crystal clear watery looking pilsner, slightly yellow water colored beer.

Interestingly as soon as I started pouring and got a big aroma of the beer I started sneaking like crazy. Now I have bad allergies and do that often, but it usually happens early in the morning, or after a bad perfume that sets me off. This is a strange, I've literally sneezed 11 times while trying to write this and I need to leave the room for a quick break. could be a coincidence, or I'm allergic to bad skunked beer... Ok back, after taking a 5 min break out of the room, blowing my nose twice, my eyes 3 times, I hope I'm ready to go.

OK now back to the nose, which brings horrible skunk... bah!!! Wish I gave up after the sneaking. Aromas of cut straw and swamp lead to a vegetative aroma like I just stucky my head into pond skum muck. Then skunked lager, light metallic twinge, and very unhappy lager yeast leftovers. There are some decent aromas of light toasty pilsner malts, but even those are fairly watery.

Taste... oh GOD!!!, ooof!, actually somehow worse than I thought! Layers of skunk berate my mouth, even with my stuffy nose the skunked flavor overpowers the taste muting. It's like my body knew it didn't want to experience it and stuffed up everything, but the skunk was able to even break through my body's defenses. To get more flavors I have to take another sip, but I keep balking at doing it, Just don't even want to attempt it, even tempted to give up on the review and just go to bed... NO! I have to carry on, for science, and BA!!! <sigh> next sip... metallic lager flavors, unhappy yeast brings metals, tin, more skunk obviously, and a watery straw malt. I barely get any decent flavors... it's to the point when decent beer might have that hint of off flavors, well this has that same level of hint of decent flavors. bitterness comes in towards the end, but not hop bitterness, skunked and grainy husk like bitterness. Finish just continues the horridness, with more skunk, metallic ichy-ness, and metallic raping.

Mouth is very light bodied, decent carb, but also makes the taste buds want to jump out of my mouth and strangle themselves, so that has to take away from the mouth.

Overall... just... so... just... bad!

jlindros, May 10, 2012

javi10653, May 08, 2012

Schumatrix, May 08, 2012

avisong, May 08, 2012
3.13/5  rDev +1.6%

I got a pint of this given to me at a recent dinner I went to. I rarely buy beer in a green bottle, because to me there is a “Curse of the Green Bottle.” Every beer I’ve ever drank in a green bottle, I didn’t really care for. Heineken, Rolling Rock, Dos Equis, etc. Anyway, poured into a mug from the bottle.

Appearance – Pretty standard “beer” appearance, straw yellow with a decent head that floats for a bit of the beer then evaporates. Decent lacing.

Smell – Skunkiness, which is what I would expect from this style of beer, especially coming out of a green bottle.

Taste – Shockingly enough to me, this brew isn’t too bad. I’ve certainly had a lot worse out of the green glass. A bit of graininess, a hint of malts, and just a touch of hops. Nothing to flip out about, but better than most green bottle beers.

Mouthfeel – Crisp, clean, refreshing, super watered down.

Overall – For the fancy foreign name and the pretentiousness surrounding this brand sometimes, it tastes like any of the pale or adjunct lagers, just a bit better. At least they give out cool glasses. I would actually drink this again. Stella has broken the “Curse of the Green Bottle,” so for that I give props.

TheCondor, May 06, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -51.3%

Greggory, May 06, 2012
3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a golden color with a huge billowing white head with giant carbonation bubbles entrapped within. The head has a moderate retention but eventually subdues to give a good level of lacing. It is actually a very nice looking golden brew.

Smell – There is a bready backbone with a little bit of skunkiness mixed within.

Taste – Quite a simple crisp tasting beer overall. The taste of a bit of malty breadiness with some light notes of caramel to sweeten it up. The taste is quite consistent for the most part, but possibly a bit sweeter at the end.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied with a medium level of carbonation. Very easy to drink and good for the style, but somewhat boring.

Overall – Pretty one dimensional but very easy to drink.

Darkmagus82, May 05, 2012