Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A) Soft head. 1/4" head. Bright white. Champagne-like bubbles. Crystal Clear, straw color. Significant lacing.

S) Bready grain. A touch of butter. Hint of some-kind of noble-style hop maybe.

T) Grain-bread and a bitter punch in the finish. Clean and crisp. Reminds me of a light pilsner.

M) Light, med carbonation.

D) Very easy to drink

To my knowledge this is the first Euro Pale Lager I've had and I'm not very familiar with this style.

esv, Oct 05, 2010
3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

So, Stella Artois. This is certainly a nice, crisp, very drinkable Euro lager. It's nothing overly special or distinguishable from many other similar beers. Lacks the skunkyness of many Euro lagers. It's greatest attribute is it's clean taste and easy drinking style. Pours a nice golden color and keeps a thin head with soapy lacing down the glass. People seem to eat this stuff up at bars and liquor stores. Very popular in trendy circles. Maybe it's me, but the 11.2 ounce bottle is annoying. Basically buying 11 beers for price of 12. Overall a decent brew.

I don't seek this beer out, but I can't say I don't occasionally drink it---my wife has a habit of grabbing me a 12 occasionally at grocer.

DJED69, Oct 03, 2010
3.23/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into a tall glass. Best by date is still 8 months out, which seems odd considering the style.

Pours with a finger of white head that foams down to a very thin layer and leaves little traces of lacing. Body is pale gold and clear with little bubbles rising.

Smells primarily of the "Euro Lager Skunk", which isn't exactly the same as a lager that has been "light struck" or "skunked", as those really smell like a skunk sprayed the bottle and there is little else. Here however there is some noticeable non-descript noble hop bite and traces of vanilla.

Not an abundance of any flavor, but what is here is a generic blend of noble hop flavors, malts, and malt adjuncts; I would guess rice by the clean taste and feel and lack of overall flavor.

Now the mouthfeel is where this beer is set apart from other Euro Pale Lagers. It is fuller bodied and smoother with a nice mouth-coating feel that isn't the usual fare with this style.

Drinkability is is higher but not as good as they come, as the flavor profile is largely lacking of anything.

Conclusion: The guy at the liquor store told me this was one of the best beers that he carried. This is a store that actually has some good craft for sale. His reason was that Stella feels smoother and doesn't have any of the 'bite' that characterizes lagers. I don't buy it... This isn't a bad beer but is just like so many others I can't think of anything more to say. If I were to buy a quantity of this style I would buy Kronenbourg 1664 in a heartbeat.

allforbetterbeer, Sep 30, 2010
3.18/5  rDev +3.2%

Served in a pint glass

This beer pours a nice clear golden straw color that would be expected for the style. There is a nice finger of frothy foam that has really nice head retention. The aroma is a little bad. It has the stale citrus smell of hops gone skunked, to which I blame the green bottle. Other aromas are a pale corn malt smell that I don't really care for. The taste is really not much to talk about. There's some sweet maltiness from the corn but overall, there's really nothing there. Which I take as a positive due to the smell of it. The mouthfeel is surprisingly refreshing and clean on the palate and well carbonated. I would actually venture as to say this beer is quite drinkable. Surprised as I may be to say it this isn't that bad of a beer, but I wouldn't pay too much for it.

Vdubb86, Sep 29, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -9.7%

Found this to be very uninspiring. Pours with a good head and a decent golden color. However, after that it is downhill in my opinion. In fairness I like a heavier beer. I was hoping for more being from Belgium, but the beer has just a slight touch of bitterness that I am not fond of and little taste otherwise. Reminds me of Heineken. I guess I'd drink it if someone else was buying but there are a lot of things in the cooler I'd turn to first.

Dadoftwogirls, Sep 27, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

A: Straw colored yellow. Looks like the standard, flavorless lager so prevalent in America

S: Not a whole lot going on here. Some yeasty flavor and cereal grains

T: Not much of a taste. I guess one could call it balanced since no flavor profile stands out above the others, though there is just the slightest hint of fruitiness on the finish.

M: Light, crisp and refreshing. Decent carbonation.

D: Goes down smooth and easy. I would never buy this beer myself, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.

DaveBlack, Sep 27, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

A= Just your ordinary Pale gold beer. Little head or carbo.

S= Nothing special smells like corn and wheet.

T= Taste Grainy malts quickly followed by a light yet persistent hop bite.

M= Average feel with a crisp finish.

D= I would basically drink this of like a miller light. I think it's overated and really don't see anything special about this one...

LiquidBread219, Sep 19, 2010
3.13/5  rDev +1.6%

Just because it is from Belgium doesn't mean it's great but it is a decent beer to drink after a long run or bike ride. It purs a light golden into my Coors Banquet beer pilsner glass and starts with a nice full head but no fireworks go off or anything. I could certailny do better for $7 a six pack but sometimes you need to reset the taste buds and this is a good lager to do that with. Hey, I'm a hop head so I certainly wouldn't want to do it with a Budweiser-unless it was a Budvar Budweiser... Session beer, why not-just throw me a bone, though.

jhtipton, Sep 19, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +24.4%

Appearance: straw yellow very clear with one finger head with lots of carbonation.
Smell: light hops and hints of malt
Taste: malty with some hops but very light
Mouthfeel: medium bodied good carbonation and creamy feel
Drinkability: very drinkable enjoyed a lot very smooth combination of malts and hops with nice aftertaste.

SteelKettle, Sep 15, 2010
3.23/5  rDev +4.9%

12 oz bottle. green bottle.

a- yellow in color. white fluffy head. well carbonated. looks like a good representation of the style.

s- smells mostly of lager yeast.

t- very clean flavors. light maltiness and crisp yeast flavored ending. not very hoppy. conservative bitterness and no hops in the nose.

m+d- quenching beer. nice mouthfeel. tastes much better cold.

mlazzaro, Sep 15, 2010
3.4/5  rDev +10.4%

An 11.2 fl. oz. green bottle stamped best before end 07.2011. Served cool into a pint glass.

Stella Artois is a pale straw yellow color with a nice tight white cap. It settles slowly and leaves some spotty lace behind.

The aroma is clean and fresh with grassy hops and a light grain character. A bit like a pilsner in this regard.

Flavor is crisp, clean, and light. It is much like an American lager in this way except that it has a nice spicy hop bite to it. Again, something like a Czech pils but maybe not as full flavored. Grassy, spicey, grainy.

Mouthfeel is about right for the style. It's light in body, appropriately carbonated, and an easy-drinking warm weather beer.

I can see why this beer is catching on here. It is a solid step up from a Bud or Coors in terms of flavor and it has the same sort of "European sophistication" as a Heineken. Not a great beer by any means but a possibly a gateway to craft for the BMC drinker.

GilGarp, Sep 14, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -5.8%

Got a bomber for $2.99 at Price Chopper at the bottom of the hill (Lebanon NH). Served cold in a chilled weizen glass. Best by 01.2011, code L02801M.

Clear yellow #5 brew with ample carbonation. The frothy off-white head lingers quite well. Nose starts out with an offensive level of pungent mercaptoethanol-like skunk, sheesh. After it has aired a bit, this fades off enough to reveal some raw grains, silage, a touch of citrus hop. Skunk is mostly gone now, whew. Mouthfeel is moderately thin, moderately fizzy... not particularly attractive, but a hell of a lot better than American macros. A decent level of viscosity for a lighter beer.

BeerNinja007, Sep 13, 2010
1.93/5  rDev -37.3%

I did a blind taste test with three experienced beer drinkers.
Giving them Stella Artois and Miller High Life.
We had two votes for Miller and one for Stella. My vote went for Miller; making it 3 to 1 for Miller.

So if you are looking for a good "Lawn mowing" beer buy Miller.
If you are trying to impress you friends with a "Belgium" beer - well spend the then extra bucks. I my area Stella costs about twice what Miller costs.

Read all the bad reviews below - they are mostly true.

prodgerm, Sep 12, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pale gold. Little head or carbo.

S- Corn and wheat.

T- Corn and corn.

M- Watery and a bit of corn syrup feel.

D- Easy to down, but probably the most disappointing Belgian beer I'm aware of. My review is a bit short of characters before this sentence, but there's only so much ways you describe a beer that resembles corn so much.

I used to like this beer, around the same time I had only had 20 beers, all of which were macros. I can not go back to it.

BBP, Sep 08, 2010
2.53/5  rDev -17.9%

A-Pours a pale,lifeless straw hue with a chalky,white persistent head that left moderate lacing.Medium carbonation was visible.

S-Vegetale and stagnant.The nose was typical of green bottled beers.Skunky and grainy with a hint of bready malt and dead hops.

T-More vegetale characteristics.Almost cabbage-like with the taste of water that corn has been boiled in coming through also.Not pleasant.Slightly citric hop presence also.

M-Loose,watery and uninspiring.No depth.

D-Not good.I would imagine that as a last resort this beer could be choked down at a modest rate.

StlHopHead77, Sep 04, 2010
1.43/5  rDev -53.6%

This was truly an awful beer from start to finish, and is not going to get a proper review. It smelled like a typical green bottled lager, and tasted even worse. It tasted like a watered down lager that some idiot had dumped some pepper into. Yes, pepper. That was the only taste I got. The saddest thing is that I drank this beer after having a Coors Light (yea, wasn't a great beer night) and if I had the chance I would have had the Coors Light again. I will never have another Stella. Absolute failure of a beer. I actually had some decent expectations for this, but was completely disappointed. Avoid this beer at all costs. You will be better of choosing a BMC.

AWolfAtTheDoor, Aug 31, 2010
1.85/5  rDev -39.9%

drank last night. notes taken. beer came on tap and pourd into pilsner glass. straw colored with bright white head that faded fast. smell was awful, taste was too. when i lifted the glass to take my first drink i thought someone around me had passed gas because that's the smell that consumed my nose! everytime i took a drink it returned. it was so nasty. i smelled my wife's drink to see if it was the glassware or just my beer. turns out is was the beer. taste was like it came in the green bottles. skunk and fizz. mouthfeel was like any BMC and drinkability was nonexsistant. only finished my beer because it cost so damn much. i will give this beer one more shot in the future, but not any time soon.

SanantoneRob, Aug 29, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Well I have to say I love the mouthfeel when it hits just the right temperature. It's just so creamy and crisp. Otherwise, I feel like Stella is an overly processed attempt at a Belgian Pale Lager. It's difficult to review because of how generic it tastes. I suppose it's fresher than most BMC, but retains the manufactured qualities.

That said, I would definitely drink it over other BMC alternatives. Oh, and I like the foil top -- I think that really gets people into thinking it's a "premium" beer.

BeerNemesis, Aug 26, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +17.9%

Appearance: Golden, straw-yellow color, with a one-finger head. Active carbonation and clear, even, slightly dull consistency. Thick lacing and long retention.

Smell: Slightly dank hop aroma and sweet malt bouquet

Taste: Slightly bitter dank, piney hop flavor and slight sweet malt aftertaste. A well-built and balanced beer, as the brewer intended. Representative of the style.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth on the palate, slightly creamy. The right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Easy to drink. A subtle style, and the balance and restrained bitterness make it almost too sweet, but a good beer regardless. I would have another.

tvail4, Aug 21, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours a clear bright golden straw color with cap of fizzy white head that diminishes quickly. Scent is of damp and musty grass, only a faint hint of dried grain, earthy. Taste brings the qualties of musty grass from the scent, a slightly bitter bite comes accross, but no positive hop notes. Lighter side of medium bodied, slightly under carbonated, semi-dry. Nothing special about this, just carries the musty tastes of many other cheep euro lagers.

rfgetz, Aug 19, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -22.7%

Pours a pale gold with white foam, slight lacing.
In the nose is pale malt and not much else.
Taste is balanced, a nice pop of carbonation - a dry bitterness in the back of the mouth with a very slight ellusive sweetness in front. Not bad but very unremarkable.It tastes and feels just ok, and is reminding me of Rolling Rock or Michelob - nothing special.

Chickenhawk9932, Aug 15, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Stella is a pretty good beer. I had it in the Caesars casino in Windsor, Ontario. It is a very solid taste, but not as full bodied as many of the other Euro Pale Lagers. Its smells strongly of alcohol and is very high in carbonation. Better than I originally thought. I will have it again sometime.

Cheers!

smithza9, Aug 13, 2010
3.4/5  rDev +10.4%

Stella is perceived as a great beer. I found the taste to have a strong bite and strong carbonation. Nothing distinguishable about the taste, just another bottled import. The style points associated with this beer probably continue to support its classy image. Overall, a decent beer.

VietPong, Aug 12, 2010
1.4/5  rDev -54.5%

I am so happy to see this utter garbage on the bottom of the barrel list. I have hated this beer for years and hope to bury it even further. This beer looks like any other macro crap, the smell is mostly skunk. The biggest problem with this beer is its skunky and harshly biting taste. It tastes terrible and is impossbile to drink.

jrallen34, Aug 10, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a transparent straw color with a surprisingly nice white fluffy head. Retention is pretty nice.

S: Grainy, wheaty, pale malts, a little residual sugar. Very nice for the style

T: Similar to the nose. Grainy, wheaty, and kind of sweet. Hops are not really noticeable, but give a little grassy note.

MF/D: Fuller body, smooth carbonation.

Notes: Had this in a blind taste (with 9 other macros and such), and this has proven to be one of the better ones

scottyshades, Aug 10, 2010