Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000)
View: Beers (19) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros
Portertime

3.1/5  rDev +1%

I guess this fall under what I have dubbed the "Bud" of a country which is any beer that is mass produced and mass consumed. This beer is the Bud of Belgium. I had it chilled in a pilsener glass. It poured a bright golden color with an OK white head. The nose was pathetic. Only a mild maltiness was dicernable with my nostrils right up to it. The taste was what I expected, a thin, slighty malty brew with a fizzyness on the tongue. I guess it you are a novice at beer and are used to the tasteless lagers, with this you can say you have had something foriegn besides Heineken.

04-28-2008 20:30:17 | More by Portertime
LouieF

3.8/5  rDev +23.8%

Appearance: Poured a golden straw color with a small foamy white head that dissipated quickly. Almost no lacing.

Smell: very vague, almost non existent sweet smell

Taste: Very sweet tasting, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Mouthfeel: Crisp with light carbonation.

Drinkability: Definitely a beer I could imagine having again but also definitely over hyped. Some European guys I met over the summer made this sound like the holy grail of all beers going on and on about how "fohkin stella is the best fohkin beer there is". I could definitely see where they were coming from however I'd say it is a far cry from the best "fohkin" beer out there.

04-23-2008 19:46:44 | More by LouieF
Lexluthor33

3.18/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours golden amber color.
Aroma indicates malts with some floral notes.It has a decent smell with a small head.The flavor is a grainy taste with sweet malts. The feel is clean,crisp and grains. Medium carbonation with a smooth dry finish. I can have one or two ,but after that they just bore me.

Notes: Better on tap in my opinion. Typical taste and really nothing to complain about except that the brand is heavily marketed as some kind of wonder brew,nothing of a sort.

04-21-2008 15:48:52 | More by Lexluthor33
biggred1

Indiana

3.1/5  rDev +1%

A-Pale straw color with a slight head,some lace,sticks to the glass.

S- Grainy husk smell with a little bit of bitter hops.

T/M-Light,decent mild flavor typical of most european lagers.Smooth,creamy mouthfeel slight metallic aftertase.

D- Not bad but not great either.This beer is okay but not the great belgian masterpiece it is hyped up to be.

04-20-2008 22:51:03 | More by biggred1
dill

3.6/5  rDev +17.3%

served on draught into a sampling glass.

A - golden yellow with a foamy white head.

S - mostly malts.

T - surprisingly clean and crisp.

M - light with medium carbonation.

D - i have had this beer numerous times and this is the first time i felt like reviewing it. it was rather enjoyable and i would order it at a bar with limited selections.

04-19-2008 16:29:30 | More by dill
Rayek

Colorado

3.2/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Had this on-tap at Maggiano's in Denver.

A: Nice golden colored beer. Rocky white head was small, but left nice lace.

S: Not much going on. Subtle malt sweetness with a hint of grassy hops.

T: Malt upfront is dry and has a husky character. Hops come on the middle with a spicy rather than floral bitterness. There's a hint of grass and metal there as well. Finishes somewhat dry with a pleasant lingering bitterness.

M: Medium body has the right amount of carbonation.

D: A nice beer to pair with food. Not interesting enough to be consumed by itself.

04-15-2008 14:41:36 | More by Rayek
hardy008

2.88/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance - The beer came to me with no foamy head and was a light golden color. No lacing on the glass.

Smell - Very light sweet aroma with some malt.

Taste - Sweet and mild with light malt.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied and sweet.

Drinkability - Drinkable, and was decent with a steak sandwich.

04-13-2008 02:15:36 | More by hardy008
bluegrassbrew

Georgia

3.3/5  rDev +7.5%

12oz bottle into a pilsner glass.

Pours straw yellow with a rocky white head that leaves some nice lacing.

Smell is of grain and a hint of skunky funk.

Taste is not as clean as it could be. Some grain and lemon grass flavors. Slight hop presence.

Overall, this is a decent euro-lager. Easy drinking and quite a bit tastier than some other choices in the style. Still, muddled, green-bottle skunk is haunting it.

04-08-2008 01:21:39 | More by bluegrassbrew
janubio

Spain

3.63/5  rDev +18.2%

Bottle, 330 ml. Golden colour, head is not too big but has a good retention and lace. Nose is grain and herbs, not too much mention here. Light body, taste is clean, again grain, herbs and some unexpected sweetness. Very refreshing. I've tried this one many times, on tap too. Maybe Interbrew is doing a more massmarket beer of it, but it's still good, maybe without the whole character it use to had years ago, but enjoyable yet.

04-07-2008 20:49:06 | More by janubio
babaracas

3.25/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a pale yellow with frothy white head, ok retention and decent lacing. Smell: muted grain and noble hops, euro lager import character. Taste: husky grain, pale malt, light noble hops. Mouthfeel: light bodied, medium carbonation. Nothing special, but decent for the style.

04-02-2008 01:49:03 | More by babaracas
diamondc

1.73/5  rDev -43.6%

Never bothered to get into European pilsner 'til recently. I've had some good ones that right up there with the best Belgian ales & American IPA's in my book. Picked up this single 12 oz (green) bottle for $1.59.

First off .. the smell .. on man .. awful. This is the first time I've had skunk (I avoid green bottles like the plague unless they've been in a box the whole time) attack my nose.

It looked OK .. nice pale golden color .. a little bit of head on there. Steady carbonation.

The taste was like sweat and day old limes. Still... I managed to finished the bottle cause I needed some liquid refreshment close to water to cool down.

Avoid if possible.

04-01-2008 03:15:12 | More by diamondc
Graham5161986

British Columbia (Canada)

3.28/5  rDev +6.8%

A: pours a crystal clear, bright gold with a two-finger frothy head that leaves quite an impressive amount of lacing on my pilsner glass.

S: grainy, grassy hops with a subtle bready, brown sugar sweetness.

T: grassy hops up front that give way to a subtly sweet breadiness and a bit of spice on the finish.

M: light and quite creamy, decent carbonation and a smooth crisp finish.

D: Nothing special but a good all-around euro-lager that is very easy to throw back and had a nice grassy flavour as well. I pity the person who drinks this beer and thinks it's the best Belgium has to offer. Nevertheless, I definitely see this beer in my future for a long time coming.

04-01-2008 02:21:48 | More by Graham5161986
daledeee

Iowa

2.65/5  rDev -13.7%

I continue to break my own rules. A green or clear bottle is usually bad.

This beer pours and the skunk arises.

The appearance is not bad but basically a macro color and a decent white head.

Taste is medium carbonation with larger taste and is pretty clean tasting despite the skunk smell.

Drinkability is OK but I just don't like skunk. I apologize, I know we are not supposed to review bad beer but I am going to guess that a majority of these are the same. Therevfore, this is normal for these beers and thus the rating. I tried one, not again unless I am closer to the origin.

03-30-2008 04:24:19 | More by daledeee
tempest

3.18/5  rDev +3.6%

On-tap and served in the Stella glass.

This beer actually has hops character and given what I've heard, that surprised me. It's very mild, but there's an undeniably grassy and herbal taste in the back of this otherwise clean and rather plain beer. The malt is just sweet and bready and there's a slight mineral taste to the water. This could pass as an uninspired German pilsner, instead it makes for a decent pale lager.

03-29-2008 18:03:38 | More by tempest
MTNboy

Germany

2.65/5  rDev -13.7%

I know a lot of people rave about this beer but personally I do not see what is so great about it.

Appearance: Gold with average head but the lace has a lot of staying power.

Smell: I always find it to be a little skunk.

Taste: I am glad it does not taste as bad as it smells. Fresh crisp hops taste. Bread like and not super bitter but somewhat bitter.

Mouthfeel: Super carbonated.

Drinkability: Average and a bit refreshing.

03-26-2008 06:34:38 | More by MTNboy
seanyfo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

1.3/5  rDev -57.7%

Half pint at local wetherspoons.

A- Pale blonde, crown head that leaves little lacing.

S- Very faint musty hop aroma, grassy

T- Bland, a watery hoppiness in the finish, but it finishes so fast, you couldnt detect any real hop or malt qualities

M- Horribly overly carbonated, abrasive even. Assaults the tongue and uncomfortable sitting in the stomach.

D- Had 2 mouthfuls and couldnt stand it any more, an insult to beer in my opinion.

03-24-2008 13:32:36 | More by seanyfo
PaleAlien2

Nebraska

3.05/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Looks like a European Budweiser (a Budweiser wearing a Beret). Golden, great clarity with a slight white head. 3.0
S: Skunky, grassy malts. Somehow every beer that comes in a green bottle smells like this. 3.0
T: A little skunky. Some malt. Not much else.
M: Extremely thin-bodied. Lotta carbonation.
D: What can I say? I paid 8.99 for a six-pack of this? I will say that the green bottles and pretty labels look great.

03-22-2008 03:53:41 | More by PaleAlien2
dnichols

Washington

2.48/5  rDev -19.2%

I poured a 12 ounce capped green bottle into a mug.

A: It poured a yellowish colored body with a modest white head that receded fast and left a modest bit of lacing.

S: It had the aroma of uncooked grains, skunky malts, and wet grassy hops.

T: It hit me with a rotting wet grassy flavor that hid the malts and other flavors (assuming they were there...somewhere).

M: It was light bodied with healthy carbonation and a reasonably dry and clean finish.

D: It may be that his bottle was skunked. It sure tasted that way. I could barely finish the drink...but I did. Never Again!!

03-20-2008 06:13:16 | More by dnichols
sacfly

Maryland

11.2oz, green bottle. Best before end 06.2008
Pours a very clear pale golden color with a thin white head. Even with a rough pour, the head is gone in an instant. Sweet, fruity aroma. Perhaps apricot. Taste follows suit with a subdued fruity sweetness. Aftertaste is nearly as non-existent as the hops. Very mild bitterness after the initial clean finish. As it warms, the hops come out a bit more. Better in the 50's. It is what it is- a macro lager.

03-19-2008 17:22:02 | More by sacfly
PhageLab

3.23/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into a Warsteiner tall glass.

A - Pale golden coloration, nice sticky head of froth, decent retention and nice lacing. Overall presentation is good.

S - Big grassy hop aroma, with a pleasant candy like sweetness near the end of the nose.

T - Grainy, grassy, and even a little spicy. The usual metallic tinge in the body is present. A bit one sided, but not too bad.

M - Light bodied, harsh carbonation level, odd, gritty texture.

D - Inoffensive and easy to drink. Most of us have had the old wifebeater at some point in our lives, but, if by chance, you haven't, it's certainly not a bad macro alternative.

03-18-2008 01:12:26 | More by PhageLab
mattster

2.95/5  rDev -3.9%

Opened 11.2 fluid ounce bottle, poured into Stella Artois goblet.

Forms small head, which dissipates as fast as it forms,leaving small lacy bubbles across top of brew. Color is a light gold with few bubbles rising inside.

Upon opening the Green Bottle Skunk monster was quite present, but it evacuated as I poured into drinking conveyance. Smell is mild, very mild hops. Taste is very similar to smell. Nothing outstanding, average at best. Bubbles are definitely present on taste palate which sort of messes with finish, otherwise, a decent beer and a good choice if nothing else is available.

03-16-2008 10:09:16 | More by mattster
Seru1

Alabama

3.1/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured in a pilsner glass.

A- Staw gold with a thing white head

S- slighty hoppy, little else.

T- Lemony with abit of other citrus and a slight hoppy finish. Refereshing in that light but little depth

M- Thin and unlasting

D- Not as bad as alot of people say, I even like drinking them with a heavy meal. And sometimes I find myself really craving one. But not something I'd enjoy everyday.

03-14-2008 23:57:37 | More by Seru1
pjblurton

Tennessee

2.73/5  rDev -11.1%

I bought a six pack of this last week. There are still two in the fridge which speaks volumes for me. It was recommended by a friend who said it was one of the best they ever had. I now have one less friend.

A - Light straw color, very attractive. Nice head to start but faded quickly. Light lacing early, also faded quckly.

S - Mild hoppy aroma.

T - Strong hop bitternes, somewhat watered down.

M - Carbonated water.

D - If I were hot and REALLY thirsty, I might have finished that 6 pack!

03-14-2008 18:40:27 | More by pjblurton
Schmidts

2.88/5  rDev -6.2%

I have been drinking a case of this during the week and I am not impressed. Looks sort of bright yellow,smell light hops, taste not bad but not what I thought from what I was told it would be like. Small head, it is not much for refreshment in your mouth/ You can drink a couple easy enough but do you want to for me two is the max and one is better.

03-14-2008 17:33:04 | More by Schmidts
donteatpoop

3.13/5  rDev +2%

A lot of people have recommended Stella to me, but I had yet to take them up on this until last night. I can't say I was overly impressed, but it certainly wasn't a bad brew.

Straw colored and clear, very little head.

Had a very light hoppy aroma.

Was a little bitter, but otherwise good.

Well balanced carb level and after taste.

Definately drinkable, I could have had a few more.

03-13-2008 18:52:46 | More by donteatpoop