Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros
3.4/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer pours a crystal clear straw color with a fizzy white head that is fairly short lived, but does cling to the glass a bit.

S: Surprisingly not very skunky. A touch of skunk, yes, but it's mostly clean grain notes. A bit of bread and a fair amount of sweetness with a light straw and grass character. There is an ever so slight...sourness to it, however.

T: The taste is mostly just sweet and fizzy. A lot of adjunct sort of flavors and a lot of grain. Not too much real substantial malt flavor, but a little bit of pale, biscuit notes to it. Some faint hops and a mild bitterness.

M: Light in body with a rather high carbonation.

O: Though it's easy to hate on this beer, when it's not completely skunked, it's not an awful one.

2.7/5  rDev -12.6%

22oz bottle poured vigorously into a 16oz glass (nothing larger around). Head is extremely weak at 1 finger (if that), and lacing is mediocre. Smell is typical of light lagers. It smells no better than an AB product IMHO. Tastes of strong wheat with citrus and very slight hops. Just slightly more carbonated than seltzer water and leaves a mild hop/water taste in your mouth that fades quickly. Not a horrible beer but I won't be spending my money on it anytime soon.

3.15/5  rDev +1.9%

The appearance gave me high hopes for this beer.Nice clear golden color with robust head and lacing. However,as soon as I put my nose close to the glass,an ejecting odor quilled my taste buds. Fortunately the taste is much better than the smell,but it too was weak. One would think a better beer with all the pomp

For the advertising you'd think this is awesome. Poured from the foil sealed green bottle into a tall pilsner glass. Fluffy thin head lasted a little bit at least. Golden, corn color. Smells of euro funk but in a not so bad way. Typical euro lager malts with just a touch of hops on the back end. Easy to drink and looks impressive to non-BA friends. Kind of a guilty pleasure for me.

3.1/5  rDev +0.3%

Golden straw color with tiny bubbles and a bright white head.

Smell is of some malt and grains with a bit of hops.

Taste is similar, a bit of sweet malt and grain, then the hops come and give it an ever slightly bitter finish. Mouthfeel is light body and there is lots of nice carbonation.

Nothing wrong with the beer, but there is nothing that stands out either.

2.68/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a clear gold with 1/4" of head with nice retention. Smells musty and grainy with just a slight hop aroma; typical euro pale lager smell. Taste is grainy but smooth; there's just a slight hop bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is light and crisp.

Mediocre at best.

3.1/5  rDev +0.3%

Appears as a clear golden liquid with a frothy white head that leaves very little lacing behind.

The smell is very light, but consists of honey and mild grape notes.

flavor is the same but with a light grassy nose. Even a small amount pf grain flavor is present. Almost no hop presence save for a little bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is dry but very clean and thin bodied. Slightly viscous finish. Light prickly and creamy carbonation.

Very drinkable.

Overall a nice beer if not very special. Good for a macro.

3.5/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a pale gold, a moderate two finger width head which fades before too long. Moderate lacing left behind.

S: Slightly hoppy with malty and grainy notes. Ever so slight hints of citrus are also present.

T: Sweet grains and malts, with a mild bitterness and faint hops. Basically the same as the scent.

M: Very light with moderate carbonation. Pretty much what I expected from this one.

D: Very decent. Wouldn't be hard to have a few.

A decent brew.

3.2/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from a 14.9 oz. can into a glass goblet

A: straight pour from the can produced a 1 finger bright white foamy/creamy head. The beer itself is very carbonated with strings of bubbles constantly rising to the top. Head leaves some thick lacing. The beer itself is a bright gold color, and very clear.

S: The aroma is very sweet, and since this is from a can, there is no skunky smell whatsoever. It has a very grainy, and almost a sugary cereal kind of smell.

T: This beer is so sweet it almost reminds me of apple juice. Not much of a full body flavor, but whats there is very clean, and has no lingering bitterness.

M: The carbonation and head, give this beer a creamy mouthfeel, which is great for a lager. Other than, this beer is very sweet and sticky, and made me very thirsty as I was drinking.

O: Overall, I'd say this beer is alright. I never thought I'd see it in a can, but its not bad. When I saw a single I knew I just had to give it a shot. Certainly tastes more fresh and clean than the bottled version. But still just an average beer in the end.

Pours a bright, crystal clear straw yellow color with a half-finger thin fuzzy whitish head that quickly dissipates to a slight patchy cap.

Smell is sweet and heavy grain, mostly wheat. Slight skunkiness, light hop aroma.

Taste is dominated primarily by graininess, with a slight twinge of metallic aftertaste and a dry sweetness. Hops are very faint, almost unnoticeable.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, moderately to highly carbonated.

Drinkability is high, appreciable euro lager characteristics, very sessionable and refreshing beer. Great summer refresher.

2.98/5  rDev -3.6%

A - Pale gold with light carbonation and a frothy white foam head on top.

S - Smells a bit of wheat, but other than thta not much

T - Not bad. Just a decent euro lager that, while refreshing, doesn't offer much else.

M - Probably the thing that I liked the least was that it felt a bit watery. It is crisp and refeshing, but pretty light bodied.

O - Not a bad beer, and at a event serving macros only it isn't bad deal. Just not anything special and certainly not a beer to represent Belgium.

3.35/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Pours a light golden color with a fair head and some lacing.

S: Clean aroma of fresh grain with a bit of sweetness.

T: has a mild malt sweetness with a bit of bitterness and a clean finish.

F: light body, smooth and clean. Nice balance.

O: Better than I expected. More enjoyable than the BMC offerings. Could drink a few of these with no real problem.

3.18/5  rDev +2.9%

I had a bottle of this lying in the fridge so I thought, "why not?"

A- Highly pale straw colour. Fluffy white head that dissipates very quickly until there is basically nothing left at all. To be honest though, I think it looks reasonably appealing with the steady bead for some odd reason.

S- Grainy, a little skunky and possibly faint citrus hops. Could be worse. Could also be much better.

T- Grain seems to dominate the palate. Those citrus hops on the nose are there, but you really have to dig deep to notice them. Meh, I don't think this is all that bad- just could have more going for it.

M- Thin and crisp. What can I really say here? I find these Euro Pale Lagers all have very similar qualities and the mouthfeel is almost always basically the same. You know what you're getting when you drink this.

O- I can't help but moderately enjoy this brew. I had just come back from heavy exercise and was chilling out and yes, this went down fairly well. Saying that, Stella is still average at very best. The fact that it is part of a style that is so saturated with seemingly carbon clones of each other speaks for itself, but as they say: there is a time and place for everything.

2.25/5  rDev -27.2%

Ba Review #14
Served On: 7/19/2011
Glassware: Clear plastic Bud Light cup

This is probably one of my least favorite beers that I frequent when on vacation at the beach; probably because it’s the closest thing to a craft beer at the bar we visit every year at Rutter Town in Dewey Beach, DE.

Look: A clear watery straw consistency with no real color profile. This beer could probably define the word ‘pale’. The head was just a thin coating of white haze. There was some noticeable lacing when I tipped the cup while almost spilling it as we sat down at our table.

Smell: Surprisingly the skunk aroma was rather low on this particular serving. It was from the tap so that may have contributed to the freshness. Besides that, not much of a nose.

Taste: At first I got a crisp refreshing sensation followed by some metallic and corn notes. After about four sips it started tasting like water with a terrible dry metallic aftertaste. It was the same aftertaste I got with Yuengling Traditional Lager (which this probably could pass for if they added caramel coloring like Yuengling does).

I think the quality of this beer is relative to the situation. In my case it was the better of multiple evils and I was at a beach bar, and it was hot out. If I were to have this beer at home or at a restaurant, it would certainly be a lot worse.

3.13/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured into Belgian tulip glass

A: It's a beautiful looking beer. Nice thick head. Golden with a constant stream of bubbles surging to the top. Leaves a nice trace around the edge of the glass.

S: A very distinct smell. I would describe it as musty. Kind of like your grandfather's wood shop in his basement. Not a bad smell, just very distinct and very familiar

T: Here is where I was disappointed. This tastes like a very average lager. It is very mild with very little distinct taste of anything. It barely even has the "grainy" taste of the most simple blue-collar beer

M: A very smooth beer, slides down the throat easily. Not too much carbonation. Doesn't have that annoying "oily" texture too often found in some lagers that leaves your mouth feeling sticky

I tried one of these because I felt I had to, just for the experience. Honestly, I feel like calling it the Budweiser of Belgium. But their Budweiser is still better than our Budweiser (Team Fourstar's mockery of Raditz comes to mind).

This beer is more potent than I thought it would be. Perhaps it is because I poured myself a glass after getting home for dinner before I had something to eat, but this seems to support the war stories circulating around the UK that Stella was what fueled a large number of Football (yeah, the non-American kind) riots.

Overall, a decent sipping beer. But for the price I could do a lot better. Or I could get a comparable quality beer for a lot less. It's an entirely unremarkable beer. Avoid it in favor of its competitors, unless you really want to try it.

2.63/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured into a shaker glass from a bottle. Pours to a half-finger head that very quickly settles into a film. Poor lacing.

The nose of this beer, like the overall impression of it, is largely uninteresting but there is a slight amount of funk present, though I may be splitting hairs.

The taste is slightly bready with just a hint of spice, nothing crazy.

The mouthfeel of this beer is true for the style if not a little thin.

Overall, I would compare this beer to a slightly spicier Coor's light, really not impressing. I sadly would not buy this beer ever again or recommend it to anyone. No reason to drink it but I guess it is better than some of the other options out there (BCM)

3.3/5  rDev +6.8%

Presented in its own branded glass, the beer has a medium golden yellow color and a big, fluffy white head. The aroma presents only a faint combination of light grains and a bit of the flowery and musty hops that one expects from a Euro lager. The flavor is similarly light, with a bready sweetness being complemented by a mild hop bitterness that had characteristics of lemon and dirt/earth. The lightness continues through the texture, with a club-soda-like effervescence lightening the medium body. Overall, this beer is light and pleasant yet somewhat substantial, making it not quite the crisp refresher that is often desirable in the style.

2.55/5  rDev -17.5%

I once had this beer a long time ago. I really wasn't impressed then, but my understanding of beer has improved significantly since then. I figured that a pale lager was perfect on a warm summer evening.

The presentation was nice. The beer came in a pretty glass: metal rim, logo, and a little star at the bottom. Impressive, but that really doesn't affect this review.

The beer is golden. This is the most golden beer that I have ever seen. It is really pretty. There wasn't any head, but that may have been removed after the pour.

The carbonation was really light. That played nicely in the mouthfeel. It was very thirst quenching.

The weird thing was that there was no smell to the beer. I thought it was my fault, but my wife confirmed that there was no smell to the beer at all. Then, there wasn't much taste. It wasn't bad, but there wasn't anything there.

I could drink these all afternoon. They weren't anything to look forward to, but there was nothing wrong with this label.

2.9/5  rDev -6.1%

I have had this beer several times but just recently my buddy brought over a 6 pack and I had one.

Overall it is a decent beer, and I drink it when it is offered to me, but I have had better beer for alot cheaper of a price.

The biggest problem to me is the after taste, not really bitter but just not a good taste.

If your looking to go out of your comfort zone this is a decent beer to start and is available at most stores. I do recommend it on draft ins a Stella glass I think it makes it taste much better.

3.8/5  rDev +23%

A - Typical Macrobew Houdini head. Moderate Carbonation. Cute pale yellow.

S - Yeasty Citrus. Touch o' grain.

T - Call me crazy, but Stella has always tasted like citrusy pine to me. There's also a little leaven bread characteristic in there as well. Nice.

M - Thin, but pleasent. Typical Macro.

D - Not bad.

As far as I'm concerned, Stella is a unique beer. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. Nevertheless, I seem to always come back it. There's just something about it that I admire.

3.23/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from the new 14.9 ounce "chalice" can into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Bright golden yellow with lots of bubbles. About one finger of white head which quickly recedes into a patchy layer. Lacing is pretty light.

Smell: Aroma of corn, grains and some pale malts. Light hints of citrus and yeast.

Taste: Like it smells. Grains and pale malts with corn and hints of citrus. No noticeable hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with a moderate carbonation. Crisp and smooth.

Overall: Ok for a lighter tasting lager, but not much different than a typical corn filled adjunct lager.

1.3/5  rDev -57.9%

Pours an unimpressive straw yellow with a bit of a lingering white head.

Smells like generic corn and yeast. Mostly like any other popular lager.

Taste is almost nonexistant. Tastes like carbonated water with a little floral alcohol. More or less like water. Bleh.

Tons of carbonation. Kind of obnoxious.

Overall, it's generic swill. Basically beer water. Do not want.

3.18/5  rDev +2.9%

On tap @ Bardenay Boise. Used to love this brew, wanted to revisit for old times sake and see how it is now. Brought to me in a Stella glass filled to the brim.

A: There is a little fluffy white at the rim of the glass, yellow/straw colored and crystal clear with good carbonation.

S: Pale malt, a little skunky, Some yeast characteristics, slightly Belgian with some tart fruit and sweetness.

T: Follows in line with the nose, skunky but not overly so (still drinkable). The yeast gives you flashes of green apple flavor, and the malt base isn't terrible.

MF: Outside of some less-favorable lager flavors its an easy drinker, with a crisp, smooth mouthfeel. No discernible finish other than the Euro lager aftertaste.

O: Not much more to say. Better than a BMC in my opinion, so given my options I may have it again.

2.53/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle, left at my house after a dinner party.

what can you say that hasn't been said; i've never been terribly impressed with S.A. pours crystal clear straw yellow, marginal head. smell is faint malt, even fainter (is that a word?) hops, and more than a little grassy. taste - blah. adjuncty mess. whatever.

1.13/5  rDev -63.4%

First had: don't remember, but have had on tap an in bottles

Pours--typically into its own signature glassware, because it's so elitist and so Belgian--a clear golden yellow, fizzy, with a large frothy white head. Aroma of pale grains, corn, light yeast, ever so slightly floral. Taste of pale, stale grains, skunky, slightly sweet, slightly sour, but no really distinctive flavor ever coming to the foreground, other than the skunk which leaves an acrid aftertaste. Light body, and drinkable only in complete desperation.

A "fancy" glass doesn't make a beer good.

Stella Artois from Stella Artois