Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros
3.15/5  rDev +2.3%

Beer the color of golden water and is much clearer then the windows on my house and car. The head is white, small and fluffy and the only interesting thing about the appearance.

Smell is sweet and malty with a hint of lemon. A slight hit of skunkiness (what do you expect from green bottles) but it is gone after a minute or two as the beer breaths.

The taste again has a hint of that skunky funk but it isn't bold enough to take away from the brew. Gritty malts and a touch of citrus as blah hops bitter the finish. Not great but I've had worse tasting beer (you should have tried my first homebrew.)

The mouthfeel is crisp and clean and leaves a watered down chalk coating in my mouth. It's an add sensation of both wet feeling but dry tasting. Kind of interesting when it comes down to it.

I'd have to try this one on tap to truly put my mind to ease. I guess I am totally turned off by the green bottles. It's like playing a reverse lottery where everyone wins a skunky beer! Stella is an average beer at best and I just don't see the popularity with it at bars across the country. I guess having AB importing and distributing helps. I'll pass from now on.

jbphoto88, Jun 19, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +10.4%

I had this on tap served chilled in a standard pint.

A - Golden w/ thick frothy albino cap. A generous amount of lacing w/ plenty of visible carbonation

S - Mild nutty w/ sweet essence of yeast, very light grain aroma, mild fruit esters

M - Refreshing carbonation, clean feel w/ mild sweet texture

T - A pleasant light malt note w/ a mild yeast for subtle grainy taste. A crisp w/ no hop influence. A light on taste lager, but better than most w/ slightly sweet finish

D - Not my fave, but passable and pretty drinkable when selection is limited

Slatetank, Jun 15, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

I decided to try this one on tap and from the bottle since it's so commonly available regardless of the surrounding selection. As you can see, this is my draft review; the difference, mainly, is the clarity and appearance (improved on tap).

The color is a pale amber, not as clear as on tap. The pure white head is about one finger but dissipates much more quickly from the bottle and lacing is light.

The smell is light hops, more grainy than anything with a little malt sweetness, though muskier from the bottle.

Grains most evident up front then that light malty sweetness some through. Hops bite gently almost as an afterthought. Fairly clean and crisp. Well-balanced but not perfectly balanced. The musky hints mar this just a bit from the bottle.

The mouthfeel is crisp, light-bodied with decently lively carbonation and pretty smooth.

This is one to go with if it's on tap with little craft or macro selection.

Brenden, Jun 08, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +26%

Poured from a green bottle into a weizen glass. Has a rich golden color with a smallish head. Not much in the way of aroma. Has good delicious, slightly malty flavor with a mild aftertaste. Feels light in the mouth and is highly drinkable. This is very enjoyable brew.

tone77, Jun 07, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a light straw yellow with a one finger thin head and very good lacing on a pint glass

Smell is quite faint but is sweet and malty over anything else. I personally don't smell any adjuncts or anything offensive. I've never smelled skunk off of the tap version either

Taste: Following from the nose this beer is pretty straight forward as a euro pale lager but is slightly better than most in that category. The taste is turned way down, and what manages to come through is pure malt with a bitter and dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a sharp carbonation

EatsTacos, Jun 05, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +26%

Pours clear pale yellow; a little watery and weak looking. Nice carbonation and bone white head that quickly lays down. A little of that sour Euro-lager aroma that sometimes hits me a little skunky, but not in this bottle. Taste is watery, but also crisp and refreshing. Sweet malts balanced nicely by sour hops. A little flint and grass, but not unpleasant. Clean, bitter finish. No off flavors. This is my favorite of the mega-produced Euro lagers.

dhd1491, May 29, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -11.4%

A chilled 12oz bottle into my mug. I am expecting a decent lager here but I was disappointed.

Appearance: A quick dissipating white head at top a pale yellow body. A clean clear body with a lot of carbonation.
Smell: A tight coil of white smoke carries up from the bottle carrying a musty smell to my nose. An standard nose follows of sterilized malt and a shadow of other Euro Lagers.
Taste: A slight funk to this bottle with light malt notes and a strong adjuct bitterness slap to the end. The back end taste could not even be quelled with some extra sharp cheese.
Mouthfeel: A light carbonated beverage. It was crisp and light bodied

Give me a mainstream adjunct lager instead. I don't see the hype or the quality.

TubaManJack, May 29, 2009
1.98/5  rDev -35.7%

I tried this beer after hearing a lot of hype from people saying that it is "like, totally, the best beer ever."
Unfortunately, I have to disagree.

This beer poured a very standard gold, with a small, quickly dissipating head.

The nose was quite boring, a little sweet, a little hoppy, but nothing of interest.

I found the taste of this beer fairly unrefined at first: some hop bitterness, some sweetness, and not really a whole lot else. As the beer warmed a little, some of the flavour opened up, revealing mostly grassy notes.

Overall, I found this to be a ho-hum beer. Almost all other Belgian beers I have tried have been superior (although admittedly, this one isn't too pricey), and I would even go so far as to say that a lot of "Belgian-style" beers trump it. Not terrible to drink, but certainly falls into the class of beers I would consider about tier 2 out of five (with only things like Laker being lower).

wilofevil, May 28, 2009
3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

poured this out into a pint glass from a 33 cl bottle .

appearance:i got a white frothy head that fades fast leaves a thin sheet the color is yellow straw and very clear .low to no carbonation.

smell: a lite lager malt and a bit of citrus and oily hops ,even some straw like quality to it.

taste:this has the average flavor of a lager lite malt and watery, although the hops improve the taste.

mouthfeel:a weak malty and oily hops feel on the palate with a slight bite to it .

drinkability:this has never been a favorite beer of mine but it`s an easy beer to drink .

goblet, May 21, 2009
3.23/5  rDev +4.9%

appearance- a pale, clear, light beer with a white head. Head dissapated pretty quick, with little lacing

smell- simplistic smell with grains and malt. Not to much complexity.

taste/mouthfeel- a light lager with an uncomplex taste. mild citrus flavor and with bit of bitterness. lack of aftertaste. No lasting flavor.

drinkability - not a bad beer, i enjoy drinking it. Do not recommend it as a quality beer, but would enjoy drinking it on a nice day :)

Anthony1, May 21, 2009
3.3/5  rDev +7.1%

A: light gold color with thin head and thin lacing looks kind of watery
S: has lager yeast and light malt smell with citrus squeezed in
T: a light lager tasting brew with citrus flavor but kind of bitter on the front of the tongue and it also lacks anything considered an aftertaste.
M/D: slightly bitter with a light feel easily drinkable.

Kemmerlin, May 20, 2009
3.38/5  rDev +9.7%

Stella has always been and will always be a great sessionable lager from Belgium. It's not necessarily a great beer but there's something about it that causes me to choose it over other more typical offerings at too many of the college parties I attend. There was a time when drinking Stella made me feel cultured and wordly: a Belgian beer! If only I had known what that really meant. But anyway, I do now and have gotten over hating Stella so it's time for a review.

It's a chilly pale lager on the pour. Straw in color with a decent cloudy head the settles into what I'm actually calling a crust right now. Odd.
Some sweet malts on the nose but for the most part it's just a clean smelling brew that begs for a sip as it bleeds precipitation on the glass.
It's got a stale bread like flavor that finishes far crisper than it starts off. I've never really been a fan of the skunky bitterness Stella leaves on the tongue but, looking on the bright side, the easiest way to get that taste out of my mouth is to chase it down with more tasty drinkable Stella.

The verdict is this: Stella is a sessionable Euro Lager. End of story.

originalsin, May 18, 2009
3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a draft glass at a local dive bar.

A: Super light straw-golden body with a 1 finger thick, foamy white head. Very clear, clean body. Decent lacing.

S: A skunky, musty grain scent; faint sweet note peaks right after pouring but quickly fades. Really, Stella smells exactly like what you would expect from an ultra-commercialized Euro lager.

T: Light, musty wheat bread, stale with some light residual sweetness. There is a lingering skunkiness/bitterness on the back of the tongue (though I doubt you can fully attribute that bitterness to the hops).

M: Crisp, light bodied with enough carbonation to lend an edge to the mouthfeel to keep the beer from feeling too watery.

D: If you don't mind a bit of skunkiness, Stella is a decent session beer. Can easily drink 2-3 at a meal or chilling with friends without any problem. Definitely a good alternative at fraternity parties (at least in my experience).

Another one of the first Euro imports that got me on the path to better beer. Again, might not be the best Euro lager but it hits the spot on hot days when drinking with fraternity brothers. A good friend just got back from Belgium on spring break after spending a semester abroad studying in Leuven (where the brewery is located) and he says this beer is so much better fresh overseas. I can only imagine.

Buschyfor3, May 18, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +8.1%

a- bottle poured into a stella chalice (40cl), little more than an inch head, nice bright yellow color, head receded sort of quickly leaving good lacing and a ring around the glass, leaves bubbly spotty head on glass.

s- not too strong of a smell, little hoppy, almost metallic.

t- tastes great, lemony and almost grapefruity, but nice light complex lager taste.

m- filling mouthfeel, good carbonation, mmm.

d- very drinkable, love this beer, great for sessioning. good work belgium.

thecarster1, May 16, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +18.5%

Bottle into clear glass

Appearance - Beautiful. Very appetizing. Would be a little better if the yellow color were darker and more golden. Bubbly head, settles to half an inch. Good carbonation. Good looking beer.

Smell - Can't smell much, but what I do smell I like. Hops, barley.

Taste - the head is frothy and affects the taste of the beer. I feel like I have a milk moustache. Good, but I've had better. A bit of a sweet aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - a little flat. I like beers with slightly more carbonation.

Drinkability - definitely a good beer. The BA C+ average is definitely unwaranted. Good beer, but a bit expensive.

mcampanella, May 04, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -1.6%

A- Pours a very clear light yellow liquid that is followed by a fluffy quarter inch head that leaves behind nice mild lacing.

S- Smell is mostly metallic scents, malts and maybe even a little yeast hints. Smells very similar to a Heinekin.

T- First taste is a bitter corn flake flavor followed by malty kicks and finished with a very mild barley there hop bitterness.

M-D- Very dry on the taste buds and rolls over the the tongue very smoothly with no real problem. This beer is drinkable in every way but the price. Good beer but i've had better.

wesbrownyeah, May 04, 2009
2.76/5  rDev -10.4%

Bottled supply during the Pacquiao/Hatton fight last night!

I've drank a couple of these over the year and never had a keen liking for them, due to their skunky nature. But last night's supply was such a surprising rarity.

The smell was pretty much the same: pungent and light hops, but the taste however, was so much different! It was really bready and yeasty, with some subtle citrus notes towards the end. It was incredibly drinkable that night, more than the previous sessions. I thought it was pretty tasty for such a skunky beer. It must've been a gem supply, because I had not enjoyed Stella in my previous tastings. Overall, I'd say Stella is an average drinkable beer, as I'd consider looking for other options.

infi, May 03, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured from a 22.4 ounce bottle into St. Pauli Girl slim glass. Bottle says best before March 2010.

Pours a light straw with a one inch soap suds head that recedes to a ring and leaves spotty residue on the glass. Crystal clear with active carbonation dancing up to the top.

Aroma is noble hops and sweet malt. There is that light struck aroma that I get from most Euro lagers.

Flavor is light malt, sweet but not cloyingly so. Buttery diacetyl flavors strange from a lager. Creaminess is there. the hops are pleasant and well represented, unfortunaltely they have that skunky light struck flavor.

Mouthfeel is thin, carbonation is crisp and if not for the off flavors, would be a good quencher.

wheatyweiss, May 03, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -30.2%

Poured an extra light straw color, impeccable clear with the faintest white head. Smells like cat urine, watered down hops and a college bar the day after St. Patrick's Day. Taste is surprisingly spot on with the smell. Feels like drinking seltzer water, absolutely no body. Drinkability is low seeing as I want to gag every time it hits my tongue.

merryjoulton, Apr 26, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +0.6%

I was craving something from the Flanders region, and didn't have anything, so I figured Belgium in general would have to do. This is all I could find. Ugh, damn the isolation.

Picked up a 11.2oz single from the SLS in Vernal, around $1.50.

A: Pale yellow, stark white head about half an inch thick, reduced to nothing, a few spots of lacing, nothing spectacular though. Excellent clarity on this one though. Some carbonation moving around in there. Nothing really distinguishes it from any other euro pale lager.

S: Strong skunk, wow, much more than the standard, under that there are some citrus, lemon, undertones, and a distinct spicyness. If I really dig deep even a few hints at banana. Nothing impressive though.

T: Skunk follows through to the taste, pale malts, slight sweetness, citrus/lemon flavor is there too, but it's morphed over to more of a skunk flavor. Slight mineral character. Slightly sweet. Not as bad as I figured, and have heard, but still it is nothing to seek out.

M: Light carbonation for a lager, not really crisp, and the flavors linger in the mouth a while. Fairly dry though, does beg for another sip.

D: Meh, I guess I could throw a few back, but for the price of the stuff, I don't think its really worth it. Just another expensive, mass marketed import. I'm not impressed at all. It's sad to think that people think of this beer to signify Belgium. Time to get out there and educate people!

pokesbeerdude, Apr 23, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -12.3%

A- Yellow with no head. Might as well just be water.

S- Skunky and Lemony

T- It tasted just like it smelled. Weak... Skunky.. and Lemony. Damn you for giving us green bottles!

M- Weak.. Weak.. Weak. There isn't much to it. It's just.. blah. It just tastes watery, feels watery.

D- Pretty average when it comes to drinkability. It's no better or no worse than your Buds.. Millers.. and Coors

epicness, Apr 18, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -26.9%

Boring bland beer. It's certainly no better (or worse) than American macro lagers. It may be Belgian in origin, but Stella Artois has about as much to do with the celebrated qualities of Belgian brewing as Coors Light. I don't mean to say it's horrible because it's not and neither are many American macro lagers. There are just much better beers in the world.

Update: No real reason for the edit, other than boredom.
9/10/09 Pretty bad, cheap-tasting lager. In my opinion, Stella Artois is about on par with most American macro lagers. There's very little to recommend it. The color is a pale, drab yellow. The small white head dissipates very quickly. There's little aroma, except for a muted cheap malt note, overly sweet and more reminiscent of corn than barley, although I don't believe that adjuncts are used. The flavor is similarly dominated by a cheap, overly sweet malt flavor. There are some hops in there, I guess. The beer is not entirely without crispness when cold. Still, the feel is rather thin, even for a lager probably based on a pilsner style. Overall, I'm not a fan of Stella. The flavor is unclean, which is a pretty big problem for me in a light lager.

popery, Apr 18, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -1.6%

I have now had stella both on tap and in bottles, and draft is certainly the way to go. I have not been able to find a bottle that wasn't skunked beyond recognition...nice green bottles europe, why do you hate us?
The beer pours a crystal clear with a smallish head that laces pretty well. Retention is pretty weak though. Very light golden in color with a creamy white hat.
The taste is that of a good estery belgian watered down a bit, and with some corn thrown into the mix, the smell is the same.
The beer has a light body with high carbonation, no astringency.
I could drink a few of these, a definite improvement over most of the AB-Inbev library.

grayburn, Apr 17, 2009
3.18/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a clear light golden with a small white head that quickly vanishes. No lacing.

The smell is rather skunky with notes of yeast & citrus. The taste is better than the smell because the citrusy hops are more prevalent. There's also yeast, corn & a sort of sourness quality. Mouthfeel is crisp.

Overall, this is just a fair beer. It's drinkable & pairs well with any seafood or poultry; however, it does have that Euro Lager skunkiness that Heineken & alot of other brews have.

theghost3, Apr 13, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -10.7%

22.4oz Euro bomber purchased at a local grocer store for around $3. Had one on tap a long time ago. I used to know a Belgian guy that always drank this, and I couldn't figure out why. Turned out he was from Leuven and that was his way of drinking locally.

Poured a pale straw color, with a fizzy white head that dropped faster than Poison's record sales after the emergence of grunge. Sparse, spotty lace.

Herbal hops and biscuity malts are detected, but so's vegetable oil and Pepe LePew.

Hops and malts are actually pretty well matched, though both are rather mild, and the hops are of the herbal, mildly bitter variety. Corn flavor is present, and it's a little skunky, but it's not quite as bad as the nose led me to believe.

Light bodied with a watery mouthfeel. Not terribly surprised, but I've also had worse.

Drinkable in the way that most mass-market beers are, and better than someout this one, and I don't think I'd want more than a couple, as there are plenty of better beers out there.

woemad, Apr 08, 2009