Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros
3.33/5  rDev +8.1%

Ive had this beer in both a bottle and on-tap, I perfer it on tap. The aroma is slightly hopy and grainy. Clear pale yellow in color with a white head that disaptes evenly with some lacing. Crisp, clean flavor filled with malt and light hoppyness. Drinks easy better than any of the big threes lagers.

beersensei305, Oct 17, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours a crystal clear golden straw color with a frothy white head that quickly settles into a light ring. The aroma is slightly grainy with a bit of a peppery hop spice, typical euro lager aroma. The taste is of carbonated water, some light grain and light peppery spice. I always thought that Stella had at least a very slight Belgian yeast flavor but I do not find that now. Again, pretty standard euro lager, though cleaner flavors. The feel is watery with very crisp carbonation; finishes like water. Not much substance to this beer; some light beer flavor but that is about it. However, it doesn't have any real negative flavors its just blah. I guess this beer is good to quench a thirst but that is about it, not much flavor going on.

Gmann, Oct 17, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +38%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Aroma is a pretty clean one...some Euro hops and grainy sweetness.

Taste is has a bit of a crisp bite upfront....the body of the beer is predominantly of a grain sweetness, not surprising for style. On the back, there's a small Euro pils hop bite along with some grassiness and hay. A good bit of grainy sweetness hangs around after the swallow...definitely one of the sweeter beers of the style that I've had.

It's imminently drinkable and one of the best beers I have had in this style. It's smooth all the way, and even though it is quite sweet, it's really a delicious beer.

NODAK, Oct 16, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +8.1%

16oz pour into plastic cup at the OC fairgrounds.

Clear & Pale yellow, lots of carbonation. head cannot say, they don't know how to pour a beer at the fair! But, I've had it out of the bottle and head breaks up fast with very little lacing.

Smells are a mild/medium blend of bitter hops, barley malt mild sweetness, doughy yeast.

Tastes pretty much the same - hops, malts, doughy yeast...more bitterness than sweetness. nothing overwhelming. A medium amount of flavors blend fine.

Lite body and good amount of carbonation hit your tongue. finishes a little dry.

Drinks easily...A bit bolder than others in this class like heineken , harp, becks. Given the choice I'll go with a Stella.

fourplayed, Oct 15, 2010
3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

Served in a Stella Artois balloon glass at Finn McCool's.

Honestly, I just wanted to look fancy during Quizzo, so I ordered this, knowing full well the glass it would come in. Pinky up! It pours a clear pale straw topped by over a finger of white froth. The nose comprises corn syrup, wheat, rice, and flowers. The taste doesn't deviate much from this formula, though the rice isn't really that prevalent here. Some very light sweetgrass notes pop up as well. The body is quite light, with a moderate carbonation and a somewhat watery feel. Overall, a very OK brew, nothing close to Earth-shattering, but drinkable enough, especially when just hanging out at a normal bar while trying not to get destroyed in pub trivia. (I hate losing...)

TMoney2591, Oct 15, 2010
2.23/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured from 11.2 oz. Bottle into Pilsner glass.

A: Frothy white head on a dark straw-colored beer. Extremely clear and bubbling like a champagne. Unimpressive head retention and spotty lacing.

S: Sweet base, smelling slightly floral and just a little sour with an aroma evoking artificial grape. Something in the nose reminds me of Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour Red. Also readily detected the not-quite pine scent of noble hops. There's a strange sort of menthol coolness to the nose, too. Weird.

T: Not really a whole lot here. Noble hops and a hint of those funky Belgian yeasts which give it a light, ephemeral fruity and floral aspect that's actually kind of funky. The beer is rather neutral to the point of being boring, with a big flat spot where the malts should be, a small bump of hops and a tinny finish.

M: Well, it's got some dryness to it, but for all its show in the glass, it's not even that bubbly.

D: Honestly, I'm not sure what the big deal is about this beer. I think people drink it so they can be seen drinking something exotic without having to explore new territory. I mean, the beer is actually more palatable if I hold my nose to drink it. It's not even as good as Chang or Singha or TsingTao or Heineken, and at the price they're asking - and for giving you almost a full ounce less per bottle - I'd go with any of those other beers. Yes, even the Chang.

TheMadJack, Oct 15, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +18.5%

A-Pours a clear gold, with no head or lacing.

S-I couldn't really detect much of anything except some faint noble hops and some malt.

T-Noble hops balanced with some malt, but it also had a very refreshing sauvignon blanc flavor which I have never noticed before when drinking this beer. It was much more complex than when I had drank it before. It tasted very fresh and refreshing.

M-Thin and somewhat watery.

D-No question I could drink this all night long. It was refreshing and complex, without destroying my palate.

Overall, I highly recommend drinking Stella Artois on tap. Its much more flavorful and refreshing than in bottle form.

thegodfather2701, Oct 15, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -13%

A: Pours a pale golden yellow color with a small white foam head that quickly dissipates.

S: A little on the skunk side with a small about of bready malt.

T: Not much going on here, some hops character and a little bready malt. The taste is pretty even throughout.

M: Light and crisp. Good carbonation.

D: This is pretty much a standard green bottle type Euro beer. They go down easy, but not something you really reach for.

IronCitySteve, Oct 12, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +20.1%

Serving : Can

Appearance : Pale yellow lager. Doesn't retain head.

Smell : Nothing special. Just some weak note of esther and hop.

Taste : Not too skunky. Good amount of hop. A very classic European taste. Good one for the price. Wouldn't mind having lots of this when on budget. Alcohol's 5.5% though so might wanna watch out not to down too many of these. The kick is definitely there.

Mouthfeel : Good amount of carbonation. Can taste the alcohol.

Drinkability : Good for the price. Would like to try how does it taste like on draft since can beer's quality is lower.

kentawan, Oct 10, 2010

Poured from 1 pint 6.4oz bottle into my favorite beer drinking glass. expiration date 05.2011

Poured a yellow golden hue with a one finger head and a lace that lingers . lots of bubbles .

Smell was a little skunky but not as bad as most green bottle beers.

Taste wasn't as bad as the smell might lead one to believe, not to skunky in other words.

The drinkabilty of this brew isnt bad at all. I would drink it again .

InebriatedJoker, Oct 05, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A) Soft head. 1/4" head. Bright white. Champagne-like bubbles. Crystal Clear, straw color. Significant lacing.

S) Bready grain. A touch of butter. Hint of some-kind of noble-style hop maybe.

T) Grain-bread and a bitter punch in the finish. Clean and crisp. Reminds me of a light pilsner.

M) Light, med carbonation.

D) Very easy to drink

To my knowledge this is the first Euro Pale Lager I've had and I'm not very familiar with this style.

esv, Oct 05, 2010
3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

So, Stella Artois. This is certainly a nice, crisp, very drinkable Euro lager. It's nothing overly special or distinguishable from many other similar beers. Lacks the skunkyness of many Euro lagers. It's greatest attribute is it's clean taste and easy drinking style. Pours a nice golden color and keeps a thin head with soapy lacing down the glass. People seem to eat this stuff up at bars and liquor stores. Very popular in trendy circles. Maybe it's me, but the 11.2 ounce bottle is annoying. Basically buying 11 beers for price of 12. Overall a decent brew.

I don't seek this beer out, but I can't say I don't occasionally drink it---my wife has a habit of grabbing me a 12 occasionally at grocer.

DJED69, Oct 03, 2010
3.23/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into a tall glass. Best by date is still 8 months out, which seems odd considering the style.

Pours with a finger of white head that foams down to a very thin layer and leaves little traces of lacing. Body is pale gold and clear with little bubbles rising.

Smells primarily of the "Euro Lager Skunk", which isn't exactly the same as a lager that has been "light struck" or "skunked", as those really smell like a skunk sprayed the bottle and there is little else. Here however there is some noticeable non-descript noble hop bite and traces of vanilla.

Not an abundance of any flavor, but what is here is a generic blend of noble hop flavors, malts, and malt adjuncts; I would guess rice by the clean taste and feel and lack of overall flavor.

Now the mouthfeel is where this beer is set apart from other Euro Pale Lagers. It is fuller bodied and smoother with a nice mouth-coating feel that isn't the usual fare with this style.

Drinkability is is higher but not as good as they come, as the flavor profile is largely lacking of anything.

Conclusion: The guy at the liquor store told me this was one of the best beers that he carried. This is a store that actually has some good craft for sale. His reason was that Stella feels smoother and doesn't have any of the 'bite' that characterizes lagers. I don't buy it... This isn't a bad beer but is just like so many others I can't think of anything more to say. If I were to buy a quantity of this style I would buy Kronenbourg 1664 in a heartbeat.

allforbetterbeer, Sep 30, 2010
3.18/5  rDev +3.2%

Served in a pint glass

This beer pours a nice clear golden straw color that would be expected for the style. There is a nice finger of frothy foam that has really nice head retention. The aroma is a little bad. It has the stale citrus smell of hops gone skunked, to which I blame the green bottle. Other aromas are a pale corn malt smell that I don't really care for. The taste is really not much to talk about. There's some sweet maltiness from the corn but overall, there's really nothing there. Which I take as a positive due to the smell of it. The mouthfeel is surprisingly refreshing and clean on the palate and well carbonated. I would actually venture as to say this beer is quite drinkable. Surprised as I may be to say it this isn't that bad of a beer, but I wouldn't pay too much for it.

Vdubb86, Sep 29, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -9.7%

Found this to be very uninspiring. Pours with a good head and a decent golden color. However, after that it is downhill in my opinion. In fairness I like a heavier beer. I was hoping for more being from Belgium, but the beer has just a slight touch of bitterness that I am not fond of and little taste otherwise. Reminds me of Heineken. I guess I'd drink it if someone else was buying but there are a lot of things in the cooler I'd turn to first.

Dadoftwogirls, Sep 27, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

A: Straw colored yellow. Looks like the standard, flavorless lager so prevalent in America

S: Not a whole lot going on here. Some yeasty flavor and cereal grains

T: Not much of a taste. I guess one could call it balanced since no flavor profile stands out above the others, though there is just the slightest hint of fruitiness on the finish.

M: Light, crisp and refreshing. Decent carbonation.

D: Goes down smooth and easy. I would never buy this beer myself, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.

DaveBlack, Sep 27, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

A= Just your ordinary Pale gold beer. Little head or carbo.

S= Nothing special smells like corn and wheet.

T= Taste Grainy malts quickly followed by a light yet persistent hop bite.

M= Average feel with a crisp finish.

D= I would basically drink this of like a miller light. I think it's overated and really don't see anything special about this one...

LiquidBread219, Sep 19, 2010
3.13/5  rDev +1.6%

Just because it is from Belgium doesn't mean it's great but it is a decent beer to drink after a long run or bike ride. It purs a light golden into my Coors Banquet beer pilsner glass and starts with a nice full head but no fireworks go off or anything. I could certailny do better for $7 a six pack but sometimes you need to reset the taste buds and this is a good lager to do that with. Hey, I'm a hop head so I certainly wouldn't want to do it with a Budweiser-unless it was a Budvar Budweiser... Session beer, why not-just throw me a bone, though.

jhtipton, Sep 19, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +24.4%

Appearance: straw yellow very clear with one finger head with lots of carbonation.
Smell: light hops and hints of malt
Taste: malty with some hops but very light
Mouthfeel: medium bodied good carbonation and creamy feel
Drinkability: very drinkable enjoyed a lot very smooth combination of malts and hops with nice aftertaste.

SteelKettle, Sep 15, 2010
3.23/5  rDev +4.9%

12 oz bottle. green bottle.

a- yellow in color. white fluffy head. well carbonated. looks like a good representation of the style.

s- smells mostly of lager yeast.

t- very clean flavors. light maltiness and crisp yeast flavored ending. not very hoppy. conservative bitterness and no hops in the nose.

m+d- quenching beer. nice mouthfeel. tastes much better cold.

mlazzaro, Sep 15, 2010
3.4/5  rDev +10.4%

An 11.2 fl. oz. green bottle stamped best before end 07.2011. Served cool into a pint glass.

Stella Artois is a pale straw yellow color with a nice tight white cap. It settles slowly and leaves some spotty lace behind.

The aroma is clean and fresh with grassy hops and a light grain character. A bit like a pilsner in this regard.

Flavor is crisp, clean, and light. It is much like an American lager in this way except that it has a nice spicy hop bite to it. Again, something like a Czech pils but maybe not as full flavored. Grassy, spicey, grainy.

Mouthfeel is about right for the style. It's light in body, appropriately carbonated, and an easy-drinking warm weather beer.

I can see why this beer is catching on here. It is a solid step up from a Bud or Coors in terms of flavor and it has the same sort of "European sophistication" as a Heineken. Not a great beer by any means but a possibly a gateway to craft for the BMC drinker.

GilGarp, Sep 14, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -5.8%

Got a bomber for $2.99 at Price Chopper at the bottom of the hill (Lebanon NH). Served cold in a chilled weizen glass. Best by 01.2011, code L02801M.

Clear yellow #5 brew with ample carbonation. The frothy off-white head lingers quite well. Nose starts out with an offensive level of pungent mercaptoethanol-like skunk, sheesh. After it has aired a bit, this fades off enough to reveal some raw grains, silage, a touch of citrus hop. Skunk is mostly gone now, whew. Mouthfeel is moderately thin, moderately fizzy... not particularly attractive, but a hell of a lot better than American macros. A decent level of viscosity for a lighter beer.

BeerNinja007, Sep 13, 2010
1.93/5  rDev -37.3%

I did a blind taste test with three experienced beer drinkers.
Giving them Stella Artois and Miller High Life.
We had two votes for Miller and one for Stella. My vote went for Miller; making it 3 to 1 for Miller.

So if you are looking for a good "Lawn mowing" beer buy Miller.
If you are trying to impress you friends with a "Belgium" beer - well spend the then extra bucks. I my area Stella costs about twice what Miller costs.

Read all the bad reviews below - they are mostly true.

prodgerm, Sep 12, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pale gold. Little head or carbo.

S- Corn and wheat.

T- Corn and corn.

M- Watery and a bit of corn syrup feel.

D- Easy to down, but probably the most disappointing Belgian beer I'm aware of. My review is a bit short of characters before this sentence, but there's only so much ways you describe a beer that resembles corn so much.

I used to like this beer, around the same time I had only had 20 beers, all of which were macros. I can not go back to it.

BBP, Sep 08, 2010
2.53/5  rDev -17.9%

A-Pours a pale,lifeless straw hue with a chalky,white persistent head that left moderate lacing.Medium carbonation was visible.

S-Vegetale and stagnant.The nose was typical of green bottled beers.Skunky and grainy with a hint of bready malt and dead hops.

T-More vegetale characteristics.Almost cabbage-like with the taste of water that corn has been boiled in coming through also.Not pleasant.Slightly citric hop presence also.

M-Loose,watery and uninspiring.No depth.

D-Not good.I would imagine that as a last resort this beer could be choked down at a modest rate.

StlHopHead77, Sep 04, 2010