Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros
3.28/5  rDev +6.5%

Stella is one of those lagers which you feel bad not finding something good to say about it because it certainly is a step up from bud/coors/etc. but it certainly doesn't offer anything too special..Smell and taste are sort of just your avg. "beer" taste, like an adjuct lager but it has at least some flavor and a hint of citrusy even (lime, specifically) that I find in its mild hop presence.. Its main strong points are the light mouthfeel and easy drinkability, what I assume most people who go for one are looking for anyway..

BirdFlu, Apr 07, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer has a much nicer color than a lot of the other macro euro-trash beers. In fact, its clearly the color of very very light maple syrup. Smells pretty skunky, unfortunately thats the problem with a green bottle. I really dont hate this beer, in fact i like it, except for the dry paper taste at the end. Its def at the better end of the Belgium macro brews, and if i had to choose one... well i wouldnt, but this one is better than the rest. I could pound a few back on a summer day...

rodney45, Apr 06, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -8.1%

Had to drink this at a party so I thought I would review. Beer pourse a very light yellow color, hardly any head and no lacing. Smell is good with the aroma of sweet malt with light hops. Taste is of sweet malt up front followed by subdued hop flavor. Beer finishes too bitter/harsh for me and reminds me more of an ale than a lager. It's not a bad beer, just not up to par with many of the other fine german lagers out there.

rugerj, Apr 04, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -8.1%

On Tap

A- Straw colored yellow with no head which means no lacing. This was just all liquid.

S- Weak malts with a slight lemon zest and a skunky aroma. Some hops and grains.

T- Even taste a bit skunked with the same weak malts dominating the taste. Some fruity appeal with some lemon and A weak bitterness with what I guess is hops.

M- Light bodied with weak carbonation and not much going for it. Weak with not alot of bold flavor to keep it going. Skunky water.

D- Low alcohol but not good enough for multiple appearences. I did not even finish my glass. I don't see why this is so popular, Oh yeah in-bev, I forgot.

BARFLYB, Apr 03, 2009

I am surprised by all the C grades Stella Artois has received herein. I liked its effervescent, clean feel, its pleasing aroma and full-bodied taste. But I am finding out that there are people who like beer from all categories and there people who do not like beer from certain categories. For some folks, lager translates into "lack of imagination;" I can see that now having just a smattering of information presented to me with regards to the ever-expanding Universe of Beers.

But I am in the lager-liking group and proud of it. (Actually, I am in the beer-liking group, and so I am seldom disappointed.) I like how a lager looks when you hold it up to the light. It is translucent and irridescent, and if your eyes are lower than the top of the glass, you can see the underside of the foam, which in a Stella looks like a disco ball with all the reflected light bouncing around in there. It's head is sustained for a substantial duration after the pour and measures a quarter-inch in height. No, there's nothing humdrum here. This is as inviting as a beer should look and taste.

I took off a bit because it does have a residual taste compared to some of my more favorite lagers (and I don't wish to enter the quagmire of making comparitive statements because I feel that each beer is liked or disliked based its own character and not on the character of other beers within a particular style). I am quirky that way, I guess. I like my palate to be clean once the contents have passed throught oropharynx. That is true for food and beverage alike. My thoughts are that I just consumed something; I don't need to be reminded what it was or where it went. Physiologically and metaphysically speaking, once injested, the beer has now become part of me in the holistic sense, and so who needs aftertaste when the spirit has already been paid a high gratuity.

With Respect for Beer
MikeInIowa

MikeInIowa, Apr 01, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -14.6%

I finally tasted this brew today. I have wanted to try it for awhile after seeing it in so many pubs, but I never did...nor did I want to purchase a six-pack without trying it first.

A nice white head pour with a lot of carbonation and a yellow gold color.

The smell has a lot to be desired. My first whiff hit me like a lot of the skunky imports I have encountered. There may be a hint of barley as well.

The taste has some acidity with it. Smooth finish with a lot of malty characteristics.

It's easy enough to drink but this is strictly a hot weather beer in my opinion. Not bad, just not that good either.

kaseydad, Mar 31, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance: Never has a beer appeared more deserving of a 3. Average pale, clear yellow body; average carbonation; average plain white head with average retention.

Smell: Mild, very very mild. I'm not getting much here other than lemony hops and faint popcorn starch.

Taste: Pleasantly nondescript; quite good for what it is. There are basically two flavors here: nutty, bready barley malt and leafy, lemony hops. Only two flavors - but that means there are no off flavors. This tastes like a premium Japanese lager, or what Budweiser might be if it were good. Nice finish of lingering citric tang.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and bright on the palate, but not over-carbonated. Dry, but not as dry as you might expect.

Drinkability: I have very few complaints about this beer. It looks and smells like nothing, but it tastes good and it goes down easy. And I say this after I fully expected to hate this beer. Good stuff!

soulgrowl, Mar 30, 2009
3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

A pale golden color with a big fluffy white head, lots of carbonation.Aroma of grain and skunky hops with a dash of citrus fruit aroma. Flavor is a touch of pale malt up front then a neutral carbonation and then some citrus/skunky hops. Light body with a crisp refreshing mouthfeel and finish,quite drinkable,and a fun try but not the best I've ever had.

WakeandBake, Mar 28, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +20.1%

Pours a very clear medium yellow color with a fizzy white head that has below average retention, but does have decent lacing.

Smell is mostly of light malt graininess and a bit of grassy hops. Smell is very faint and I think I detect a miniscule amount of Belgian yeasties.

Taste is not too shabby, with grainy pale malts shouldering most of the load. Moderately hopped with saaz to give it a decent floral and spicy hop presence. It's well carbonated with a dry finish. If this is the Budweiser of Belgium, I'd trade macros with them anyday. One of the better Euro pale lagers I have had. For me, however, the price is way to high for this beer to warrant any regular purchasing.

twiggamortis420, Mar 27, 2009
3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

A- Pours clear golden yellow with thin foamy head that leaves some nice lacing.

S- Malty sweet nose with hints of hops and spices.

T- Light malt flavor with some spice and biscuit tastes developing into a slightly hop bite in the finish.

M- Ok carbonation, fairly smooth and light bodied.

D- Stella is a pretty good brew that is drinkable but not the best one out there.

projectflam86, Mar 26, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +8.1%

Solid lager. Pours pale yellow with virtually no head. No distinct smell.

Taste is clean, but not crisp - something lingering at the back that I can't quite place.

Here in the US, this beer is no longer a novelty - you can find it everywhere - and maybe thats not a bad thing. Beats the hell out of BMC anyday.

KTCamm, Mar 26, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -4.2%

A- NO HEAD!!! I highly doubt it is all the beers fault because I got it at a sports bar. Discgrce

S- Smelled like the soap used to clean the glass

T- Also like the soaap. No different than a Macro American

M - Slightly too high carbonation

D - Beer pong beer.

drink1121, Mar 25, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -16.2%

the best thing about this beer is the head and nice yellow color.

smell is almost non existent. no flaws, but nothing interesting either

taste is clean with hints if cooked vegetable. mild flaws but nothing off

crisp and clean. kind of boring though.

jasonjlewis, Mar 22, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +39.6%

Poured a 500-ml can into a Stella Artois chalice. Chalice rests on a glass Stella Artois coaster.

Appearance - golden straw colour with sudsy lacing up the sides. Moderate carbonation.

Smell - Corn and straw dominate the bouquet here, with some grassy notes thrown in. A great partner for nosing some Scotch - brings back objectivity during an intermission.

Taste - much better from a can than the bottle. More depth to the straw-grassy malt flavours with less overt bitterness than the bottle version. Light waves of a slightly bitter finish continue.

Mouthfeel - peppery up front with smoothing effects along the sides of the mouth just seconds later.

Drinkability - a few cans like this in an evening is never a bad thing, just don't over-do it. The taste and refreshment doesn't go out on this great beer.

DoctorStrangiato, Mar 21, 2009
3.38/5  rDev +9.7%

I had this on tap at a local restaraunt. It is a pale clear straw yellow with a medium white head and a bit of lacing. The aroma is sweet and bready. The flavor is light, sweet and has a pleasant bitter after taste. The beer is light bodied and fairly quaffable. I think this one is much better on draft than bottled.

bonkers, Mar 20, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +26.6%

Appearance- A golden yellow with a decent white foam head, nice size bubbles stream beautifully up the glass, crystal clear lager,

Smell- grains, corn, lots of malt sweetness, slight hops, nothing over powering but nice smell

Taste- Slight grain and malts up front, with a hoppy bitter finish, its light yet kinda of nice for a lager with a medium complexity, good finish that lingers of malt and hops both mild in there own way,

MOuth- light with very high carbonation, nothing overwhelming here either way

Drinkability- Honestly I like this beer, its first time I tried it and I think its a nice session lager better then most macro beers, Its gotta alot more complexity to me while steal being very light crisp and refreshing then most american macros, not something i would get all the time but if given the option theres a lot I would certainly choose it over, one I believe I will visit occasionally when drinking with people who like the macros, highly drinkable no issues slamming one these down

Stunner97, Mar 09, 2009
2.55/5  rDev -17.2%

s - on tap in a stella glass.

a - it does give a very good appearance.golden ans a off white head.

s - very little hints of lemon and alcohol, but not much.

t - this tasted like a beer, nothing special and nothing flavorful either that i remembered.

m - carbonation was the best part of this one, with just a little finish.

d - i would not get this again.

jsanto, Mar 08, 2009
3.3/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Stella Artois "Leuven 1366", ABV=5.2%, cals=145p12os
Reviewed as a Euro Pale Lager, @ home 11/10/08, bottle>dimpled mug
A 3.5 - pale straw in color, 1 finger head, no retention
S 2.5 - subtle skunkiness, mild hop notes
T 3.5 more malty than some, hops on clean finish
MF 3.5 - thin body but more than some other Euros I have had, medium carbonation, interesting finish
D 3.5 - I gotta support it since it's Belgian, it's drinkable for sure, just not a huge standout for me.

unclejimbay, Mar 01, 2009
3.38/5  rDev +9.7%

A - Presented to me in a chalice type glass filled to the top with a few bubbles floating on the surface, but no head to speak of. Yellow to gold and clear.

S - Malty, with a touch of fruitiness and alcohol.

T - Taste follows the smell. Very similar to other pale lagers.

M - Smooth and thin.

D - Very drinkable and it complimented the hot wings I was eating well.

Overall- This is a good alternative to the American pale lagers. Seems a bit more flavorful and full.

ghebel, Feb 26, 2009
2.65/5  rDev -14%

The appearance was a nice light golden hue.

I poured the beer into a pint glass and the head lasted for a few seconds before dissipating immediately right after. When I put my nose down to give it a good sniff, I got a slight note of hops and maybe a few earthy notes as well. I gave it a few sniffs and realized it was mediocre and wasn't as impressing as the bottle nor the hype.

The best thing is that it is quite drinkable, but might not ever be my first choice at a bar. I would definitely pick it over any budweiser or miller though.

johnnymoto, Feb 26, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -15.6%

Draft in a 12 oz tulip shaped glass.

Crystall clearn yellow with little visable signs of carbonation. Thick white head that dissapates into intermittent lacing. Mass produced lager grain smell and taste. Grain in the finish with no noticable hopping. Light enough to drink a few more, but why bother.

At least it's better than Bud.

LittleDon, Feb 24, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -9.1%

on tap at the outback in hong kong.

pour clear yellow with large white head that disapates quickly, lots of carbination, and okay loacing.

smell is grass, sweet, and pear.

taste is watery, sweet, corn, and some malts in the back.

overall ive always liked this beer, nothing special about it just always seems to hit the spot.

froghop, Feb 20, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a flute glass. Pours a clear, crisp golden yellow with lots of bubbles. A one finger thick white head that settles quickly. The first thing I smell is a bit of funk that I can't identify. Not real pleasant. Beyond that, it smells mildly malty and fruity. A bit of a sweet taste up front, followed by a bit of bitterness. Not a real complicated taste, but well balanced. Crisp, light mouthfeel. Very carbonated and burpy. Goes down easy though. It's drinkable when your options are limited. Not bad, not great, but drinkable.

mtbbaboon, Feb 16, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +24.4%

Stella poured clear and gold with a one finger head that stuck nicely to the side of the glass. It's aroma was crisp and malty which was reflected in it's taste. I love carbonation and this one had plenty which complemented its smoothness. This is a very easy beer to drink.

aletales, Feb 16, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured into a pilsner.

A: Golden color. Heavy carbonation pours into a 2-3 finger, bubbly, white head. Settles slowly leaving sticky, thick, lacing and littles craters and caverns in the receding head. Light carbonation continues to rise. Eventually leaves a bubbly layer of foam. The head never really fully leaves you. Thick sticky spider web lacing remains as you drink it down.

S: Wheat, baked bread, and hay.

T: Light pale malt, a bit of hops, a dull lemon hint.

M: Light, but full. The hops coat the palette, and a tangy aftertaste remains.

D: Pretty solid here. Light feel, but full flavor. Easy (but good) drinkin'.

Really nice atmosphere on this one. Nice full flavor and feel, however a light palette. Really solid quaff.

bmwats, Feb 14, 2009