Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000)
View: Beers (19) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros
notoriousdav

Colorado

2.78/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a pale yellow, what I would expect from a lager. Smells like skunk and hemp. Taste is refreshing, light, dry and maybe a little citrus. Lot's of carbonation. This is a mass produced eauro lager that I suppose one could drink all night with the intention of becoming totally inebriated, but trying to look more sophisticated than a guy doing the same thing with a bud light.

04-01-2007 17:06:28 | More by notoriousdav
beeragent

2.75/5  rDev -10.4%

A friend of mine kept raving about how great this beer was, so naturally I wanted to try it. He was nice enough to actually buy me one, and bring it over for me to try. Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer poured a clear straw, forming a thin 1/4 inch head, that left light lacing on the glass. The aroma is almost all skunky, with a hint of hop sweetness. I expected it to taste as bad as it smelled, but was suprised to find that it wasnt that bad. Very smooth clean hop flavor, with a good balance of malt thickness. Light mouthfeel. Aside from the smell, I could see having one or two of these in a session. Not as bad as I thought it would be. It reminds me of St. Pauli Girl. Once you get past the smell, its not a bad beer. Take a chance, and give it a shot.

03-29-2007 05:03:47 | More by beeragent
leechungsr

3.58/5  rDev +16.6%

A: golden with fair about of white head that takes its time. bubbles slowly rise up glass.
S: light malty, lesser grassy, maybe yeasty.
T: was a bit stronger than the smell indicates. initially malty, but the hops bite quickly and go away almost immediately.
M: good amount of carbonation.
D: really pretty good! I like. It's more interesting I than other euro pale lagers I've had...I think.

03-29-2007 04:33:24 | More by leechungsr
BeerBob

Nebraska

4.33/5  rDev +41%

Pours as gold as gold can be from a light green glass 11.2 FL. OZ bottle. Creamy white foam head went to over three fingers.

Nose is of damp grains and sweet barley malts. Pallet is a smooth combination of malts and alcohol.

This one goes down with the best of them. I can through Stella Artois down 24/7/365 and not regret it.

03-28-2007 07:38:37 | More by BeerBob
JWFokker

2.35/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured from a bottle, it's a standard looking pale yellow lager. Plenty of carbonation. The nose is a mix of yeast, malt and grass. The flavor is where it all falls down though. It's like a mix of bad Grolsch and Heineken. It's predominantly watery bitter malt with a dry finish, but lacking the metallic astringency of Grolsch and with a particularly poor aftertaste. The mouthfeel is thin, but standard for the variety. Because the flavor is so bad, drinkability is quite low.

03-21-2007 23:43:13 | More by JWFokker
baxterbrew

Tennessee

2.95/5  rDev -3.9%

A: Poured from bottle into a pilsner glass. The head is fair and stays around for a long time. Very effervescent, the bubbles just keep coming. Color is a light straw color, clear as a bell - no detectable chill haze.

S: The smell is sweet and malty with a strong skunk overtone.

T: Not impressed here. I expected more and got pretty much Heineken. A little more bitter than most lagers. A lot of DMS here - I think the green bottles had a huge effect.

M: Very nice mothfeel, not overly carbonated as expected by the appearance. It has a nice thick feel, almost buttery.

D: I could drink a bunch but I don't think it's worth the extra $. Kind of boring actually.

03-13-2007 22:44:00 | More by baxterbrew
PittBeerGirl

2.78/5  rDev -9.4%

golden yellow body with minimal white head
tatse is of hops and malt with a kick in the aftertaste-not bad though
very carbonated
Average drinkability. #1 belgian import lager

overall its an average beer but its not worth the high import cost that you pay for it.

03-13-2007 21:53:13 | More by PittBeerGirl
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

3.25/5  rDev +5.9%

served on tap at the Triva Pub into a Stella Artois stemmed tulip glass.

Clear,golden color that has a deep hazy look. 1" white frothy head with good retention,leaving webbed lacing down the glass. Large bubbles attached to the sides of the glass with a couple of smaller bubbles surfacing.

Clean nose some grassiness,some light sweet malt,fruity with a bisquity/doughy/yeastness. A clean,subtle,faint delicate aroma.

The taste was delicate,grassy,fruity,doughy,a taste reminesent of grape leaves that finishes with a subtle sour tartness like unripened fruit.

A light mouthfeel,with a bit of grainyness and some slight cloying.
Very easy drinking,clean,refreshing,could drink a few of these,but would get bored after a while, not enough taste to keep me interested for a long time.

03-10-2007 16:40:06 | More by jcdiflorio
grub

Ontario (Canada)

2.38/5  rDev -22.5%

part of a gift set i got for xmas from my wife. thanks jenn!

330ml bottle

pours pale yellow with almost no head. the few white bubbles disappear almost instantly and leave no lace.

aroma is ok. bit of dms. light earthy hops. adjuncts.

taste is fairly unpleasant. medium-low bitterness. adjuncts and dms. bit of earthy hops. lingering unpleasant aftertaste.

mouthfeel is ok. average carbonation and very light body.

drinkability is ok. not my cup of tea, and certainly not the best example of the style.

03-07-2007 00:18:57 | More by grub
BeerSox

2.25/5  rDev -26.7%

12oz bottle into pilsner glass.

Ultra clear hay colo with a thin fizzy white head that quickly turns into a thin cap.

Light sweet malt with a little bit of floral hop aroma.

Watery cracker-like malts with a light hop residue sitting on the tongue. Quick finish, very dry. Light bodied with high carbonation.

I am not impressed with this one. I would rather have a Michelob Ultra than this. Just another fizzy Euro import.

03-03-2007 01:46:07 | More by BeerSox
browner

2.95/5  rDev -3.9%

This beer is heavily marketed and readily available in this area. This is a very clear yellow lager with a half inch of white head. Not particularly lacey for a Belgian but predictable for a light (underscore light). The taste has a bit of malt but more of a fast light bitter flavor that finishes quick. On tap or bottle this beer is best served cold. For those looking for a light lager and a new label try it out. This isn't rocket science just a light beer that should appeal to those who don't like Dark, Belgians, IPA's well pretty much not many beers.

02-25-2007 19:19:27 | More by browner
awester462

Georgia

2.85/5  rDev -7.2%

I had heard that i had to try this beer a lot. When i finially bought a sixer of it and tried one i wasn't initially impressed. Maybe because i am inclined to dark beers, but the second beer seemed much better than the first. The taste grew on me. Finially came to the conclusion that this is a good beer, not a standby, but good none the less.

02-15-2007 21:23:25 | More by awester462
484dan

2.23/5  rDev -27.4%

the appearance of this beer is pale yellow w/about a half inch of head when pored into a mug... the smell is unimpressive w/a sort of "flat" smell... the taste isn't all bad- almost comparible to a light pilsner... mouthfeel is boring and the drikability... is crisp. the beer reminds me of something you might drink for a "quick beer" after working outside all day

02-12-2007 00:31:27 | More by 484dan
Sconnie

3.08/5  rDev +0.3%

I've had Stella before, but i gave it a more thorough tasting last night, as a friend had a 12 pack. It had the appearance of a pilsner, very light. A slight hoppy nose but nothing strong. The taste was that of a light lager, with a decent ammout of hops and a slight malt aftertaste. Pretty good, very drinkable, but nothing that stood out as spectacular.

02-07-2007 18:50:09 | More by Sconnie
mithrascruor

2.8/5  rDev -8.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a clear pale golden-straw color with a quarter-inch foamy white head.

Smell: Lightly grassy smell with a slight bit of hops. The grasses have a bit of sweetness to them.

Taste: Generally a fairly heavy grassy taste, but with a bit of spicyness. However, I can't tell if the spicyness comes from hops or from carbonation. The aftertaste is bitter and bit unsavory (and of unknown origin).

Mouthfeel: Dry and light-bodied with a bit of carbonation. It's almost a bit too dry, as it doesn't adhere to any surface in the mouth at all.

Drinkability: Strength-wise it's fine, taste-wise it's ok, but it's just a bit tedious overall.

Though a relatively popular (or at least well-known) beer, this isn't very impressive. Tastes like a generic Euro lager that borders on tasting skunky. Average at best, but I find that the mouthfeel is rather annoying -- goes beyond tasting "clean" to tasting excessively dry.

02-05-2007 02:27:38 | More by mithrascruor
TheBierBand

3.38/5  rDev +10.1%

My friends all got together to celebrate a couple birthdays among us (one of them MINE!). All of them know me and my taste for a good craft beer! They ALL ended up getting me some awesome beers that I haven't ever tried or that I hadn't tried in a long time! One of these was a sixer of Stella Artois that came package with two six packs of other Belgian offerings.

I selected the Stella Artois to try first and took the 11.2 oz green bottle and poured it into a 16 oz mug. The head was a crisp pure white and rather thin (big bubbles). The 1" head quickly dissipated to nothing in a matter of a minute or so. The color was a pale yellow with complete clarity.

The nose on this was a tiny bit fruity.

The taste was also somewhat fruity with a bit of citrus-like tang. Not like a weissbier... but still a tad fruity. No discernable hops.

This would be a great summer-time beer. Very refreshing and thin bodied... although, I wouldn't want to let this one get too warm.... might get a little skunky.

Overall, drinkability was nice. Again, I would reserve this for summer consumption on a blistering hot day, Stella Artois would quench a good beer thirst.

01-29-2007 17:21:14 | More by TheBierBand
Winter

3.03/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours clear golden in color with a white head. Malt and hoppy nosed, but it's overshadowed by the annoying slight skunkiness in the aroma. Mouthfeel is medium-thin with ample carbonation. Grainy maltiness with a mild hop bitterness midway. Some skunkiness in the taste also. Sweet grainy finish follows the hops.

Stella Artois is a light flavored lager similar to other imported styles. This reminded my of Heineken. The skunkiness on a beer that was suppose to be fresh until July of '07 was disappointing (damn green bottles). I'd be eager to try this on tap to see if it's any better.

01-25-2007 03:51:29 | More by Winter
JimFalzone

4.1/5  rDev +33.6%

I don't know the inside workings of this company, but their marketing department seems to have put a full court press on New England. It is popping up all over the place. It sort of reminds me of ten years ago when Rolling Rock was doing the same thing. All the bars and restaurants started promoting the Geen Bottles. The difference is (at least to me) that Stella is a much better beer. It's perfect when you look down the line of taps and see macro after macro. So whatever, the reason, I'm glad stella is becoming readily available in the last two years. It pours a nice golden yellow. It's sweet and light. Ladies seem to like it more than other beers. It doesn't have the stigma of malternitives and light beers - it's just a good drinking beer. Nice smell, nice flavor - won't be blow you away - but is tasty and predictable. And it's good for sharing with friends.

01-21-2007 23:55:58 | More by JimFalzone
auxiliary

Rhode Island

3.48/5  rDev +13.4%

I first tried this ontap at Smokey Bones becasue it was a special. I have seen it before though and knew it was a Belgium lager. Not to mention I bought a 12 pack of it today at the store and here is my review.
Not a bad beer, reminds of a light beer,though, not a heavy beer like other lagers. Light golden color. When i had it on tap, it had head and lace till the last drop. The bottle was some what the same. I would drink it again, if it was on sale, but not to get again. I bought the 12 pavk to share with another beer lover that hadn't try it.

01-21-2007 23:27:34 | More by auxiliary
evolbob

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev +28.7%

This is my first Stella Artois, came in a "Beers of Belgium" 18 pack (along with Leffe and Hoegaarden) from Sam's. Poured from a 11.2 oz green bottle into a pint glass with large bubbles that dissipates to a minimul head. The smell struck me at first as a typical "Euro" beer with a slight skunk smell. But after taking several more smells it leaves a sweet, malty, should I say, inviting, smell? The taste is malty, with a lingering, bitter hops, in the back. It also has a very faint banana, spice flavor?, I 'm not sure, taste something else that's hard for me to describe. This is just my second review, just learning how to take the time to truly taste a beer. The mouth feel is light, slightly carbonated. I could see myself drinking quite a few of these. This would be a great summer beer and one I may introduce to my BMC friends as a possible cross-over.

01-21-2007 21:46:12 | More by evolbob
alexskovan

3.35/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured clear pale gold with a white head that dropped to a half inch and then lasted. Aroma is not assertive, a hint of grassy hops and malty sweetness, very faint. Taste is carbonated and unbalanced bitterness at first -- then later on, as the bubbles settled down, a mild honey sweetness became the up-front flavor, and the hops took a back seat.

A nice crisp lager. Nothing earth-shaking, but a nice beer, a good Euro-macro alternative to American macro, and would probably be acceptable to most American macro drinkers -- excepting those that can't handle actual hops at all.

01-21-2007 18:36:07 | More by alexskovan
rec

Australia

2.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Behind only the reinvented Hoegaarden Witbier, this is perhaps the most generic thing to come out of Belgium.

It has little head with no apparent lacing, and over highly carbonated. It smells quite nice, with a fruity-sour aroma, but feels almost like soda-water in the mouth.

Much like Corona, the taste is extremely overrated. It's bland and dissapointing whichever way you look at it, but is still a very easy to drink lager which is great for sessions.

I despise most pils and lager, for me beer is about flavour and complexity, both which Stella Artois lacks undeniably. However due to its popularity, its a perfect carton to haul along to a party.

01-21-2007 10:30:46 | More by rec
Butch

Mississippi

3.95/5  rDev +28.7%

Sampled 13 January 2007, purchased January 2007

Pale yellow, with just a touch of gold to darken it up a bit. Head poured large and bubbly. Big bubble and lots of carbonation. It settled down to a thin layer.

The smell was fantastic. Dry, a bit sour (in the right way), hoppy.

Nothing stands out about the mouthfeel. No way it qualifies as anything substantial, but I wouldn’t call it thin either. Feels nice and fizzy.

After the intense aroma I was surprised at how mild and almost bland the taste was. It was disappointing. It’s still a good dry lager, but it just doesn’t hold up to the promise of the aroma. That was my first reaction, but I liked it more the more I drank. The aroma is still the best thing about the beer.

This was my first Stella Artois. I don’t drink a lot of pils, or lagers in general really, so the aroma really stood out to me. I was a bit disappointed with the flavor at first, btu it steadily grew on my as I whittled the pint down. By the end, I was really digging it. The hops came out more as I went and the sourness got better and better. In the end I would say it was a solid brew. I’ll get it again, and I may even look for it when I’m at a bar. Still not something I could handle as a session beer.

Butch

01-14-2007 12:43:35 | More by Butch
dpool

Arizona

3.93/5  rDev +28%

A: Golden straw color with a light head.
S: Hints of honey and citrus
T: Slight bitter after taste, but comes through with a nice mellow hop taste with hints of lemon.
M: Mouthfeel is good as any other nice quality lager, and is very nice when on tap.
D: This is where Stella shines because you can have this beer everyday and not get sick of it.

01-12-2007 20:49:44 | More by dpool
bgraney

2.7/5  rDev -12.1%

Clear bubbly amber with a thin white, sudsy head.
Not much aroma, I really had to search for the slight hints of malt and hops.
More flavor than the aroma suggested but not very interesting, a little more fruitiness than the average American macro lager.
Thin mouthfeel, no aftertaste.
I imagine you can drink multiple bottles/glasses but I don't know why you'd want to.

01-12-2007 15:20:40 | More by bgraney