Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000)
View: Beers (19) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros
williamherbert

2.8/5  rDev -8.8%

Ultra-clear (particularly see-through). Light, straw-yellow color. Looks like apple juice. Has a weak soapy head.

Mild but slightly pungent Belgian-style smell. Smell is far too mild.

Tastes like any lager, but with a tiny hint of Belgian citrus. Pleasant enough but average. Tiny bite/burn as it goes down.

Light-bodied, watery, fizzy. Nothing wrong with it, but also nothing to it. Drinkable but light and not fulfilling.

12-25-2006 17:34:07 | More by williamherbert
olegv40

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful packaging for the bottle, too bad the insides doesn't live up. Pours a light golden color with a thick head. My initial reaction was to the strong hoppy smell but by the time I finished I couldn't tell it apart from an American macro-pilsner. Nice amount of carbonation, followed by a nice bitter hop flavor. The initial aftertaste is a sour citrus that is quickly replaced by a doughy, bready flavor. That taste lasts until the next sip. The flavor coated my entire mouth, which was annoying since it wasn't really that great of a taste. That said it's still a fairly easy to drink beer and is defiantly a huge improvement over some of the more common alternatives.

12-24-2006 03:08:34 | More by olegv40
zuggy9

4.03/5  rDev +31.3%

Stella is an excellent lager, and I wished more were like it. It pours golden-yellow and its clean white head disapates quickly. A light malty smell and taste is very hoppy though with a nice malty sweetness. Good carbonation and it's very crisp and refreshing. Good drinkability, and when on tap I'll put away a few of these!

12-22-2006 08:22:37 | More by zuggy9
theopholis

3.63/5  rDev +18.2%

This is pretty close to what an American lager is supposed to taste like. No rice, just a nice clean, easy drinking lager.

Apperance-Yellow-golden and very clear with a loose white head that that has very little staying power. Does leave a trace of lace.

Aroma-Sour, with some floral hops in there. Nice crisp, clean pilsner smell.

Taste-Can really taste the bittering hops, tho the beer itself isn't that bitter. Little malt sweetness. Basically, taste like a quality pilsner. These are occasionally slightly skunky since they put the beer in those dumb green bottels.

Mouthfeel-Appropriate cabotonation carbonation. Just a hint of acidity. Very crisp and clean.

Drinakability-Pretty good. This one was bottled. I've had this beer on tap to. Even if you don't like the bottled version, try it on tap if you can find it. I'd rate the tap version a full point higher.

12-20-2006 06:01:21 | More by theopholis
mikesgroove

South Carolina

1.73/5  rDev -43.6%

Had this at dinner. Poured a dull pale fizzy yellow. White seltzer head which faded to nothing. No lace. Hardly a smell, I guess a light malt if anything. Taste was very bland, should have known that was coming. This is your typical Macro Lager. Will not have another.

12-18-2006 02:46:55 | More by mikesgroove
Jordan1985rec

Maryland

3.75/5  rDev +22.1%

I've had this beer a couple of times, one at a nice little place here in DC and another at a rather strange place/time in up state New York. Both times this beer was constantly good. The color is about what you would expect out of a Euro Lager, light yellow with little depth in color. The head was nice, about a half an inch thick ( I like this for this style of beer personally) with a good about of lacing. I thought that the smell was decent, I didn't notice the "Skunk" smell a lot of the other reviews had written about, but maybe I just had a different experience. The taste was pleasant, nutty and rich, very smooth for a pale lager. The finish was clean and my palate ready for more. A good beer that can be enjoyed almost anytime of the year. Cheers!

12-15-2006 04:20:12 | More by Jordan1985rec
jdmorgan

This beer poured a light golden tone with a small head. The smell was fairly light with an aroma of malt and a bit of hops. The flavor had a light/medium body and a light/medium hop flavor and bitterness. I also had a nice very subtle malt aftertaste as well. The mouthfeel was lighter in consistency and had a medium carbonation. Overall, I felt that this beer was very crisp and clean. Although It's body was a bit lighter than I'm used to, it was still a very drinkable and enjoyable beer. I would definately reccomend trying it.

12-11-2006 01:03:55 | More by jdmorgan
MmmIPA

3.65/5  rDev +18.9%

I've had this stuff in the past when I knew nothing about beer,I even said the last name of the beer wrong.Well things have changed since then.American lagers dont smell or taste like this at all.

A-Golden and very clear body with a bright white head that ell fast and leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

S-Sour apple smell and there is a smell of a familiar beer in there.

T-Bittering hops with a nice taste that sticks to the sides of your tongue.

M-Slight carbonation in this one but not overdone.Crisp and clean.

D-Not bad but I didnt remember it tasting like this.I'll have more but not anytime soon.Ima gonna have a couple more.

12-10-2006 03:50:12 | More by MmmIPA
cabsandking

3.43/5  rDev +11.7%

Light golden color and mediocre white foamy cap. Floral hop esters, yeasty, sweet bread and little fruity in the nose. Crisp, descent bitterness, champagne like astringent. Mild sweetness but bigger in the finish along with some yeast, yet still relatively clean. Thin body and mouthfeel with some fizz. Honey sweetness and slight grape skin tannin arrive late. Good carbonation throughout.

12-05-2006 21:52:22 | More by cabsandking
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev +34.5%

I've had this many times. It's readily available, so I generally have it when there isn't anything better. I was left in my fridge for some reason?

Water, malt, hops & maize. Interesting... I presume they use the whole corn kernal & not just refined sugar?

A: Clear with a faint, yellow hue. White mountain of rocky head, good retention, wonderful lace. It's a great looking macro. Despite the use of corn, there seems to be some good protein here.

S: Floral, grassy, earthy & metallic hops; slight toffee-like sweetness with a little bread.

T: Dry with a pleasant, crisp bitterness (it doesn't suffer from a residual sweetness that often appeals to the general public). Decent amount of hop flavour, though I'm not personally fond of that earthy/metallic quality. There is a pleasant underlying maltyness (biscuity?).

M: Dry yet somewhat creamy, moderate body. Moderate carbonation.

D: Nicely balanced, decent flavour, not too gassy or too filling. Very good.

This is a well-crafted Euro Pale Lager from a macro... the hop choice isn't my favourite, but I think it's a good representation of the style.

Note: Green bottles are stupid.

Serving type: can

12-04-2006 23:56:29 | More by Derek
rrg1gb

Missouri

2.35/5  rDev -23.5%

A - Light straw, thick foamy head but dissipated quickly, definitely lackluster in appearance (little carbonation)

S - Faint sweet aroma, smells a little like honey. No hop aroma.

T - Bitter at first but levels off to an overbearing sweetness.

M - Pretty smooth, not a whole lot of carbonated taste. Not a lot of hop action going on either.

D- It's okay, better than Heinie or BMC, but still unoffensive.

11-19-2006 06:25:16 | More by rrg1gb
Neehan

3.1/5  rDev +1%

This poured a very pale straw color with a moderate sized head. Good retention. Clean smell of grassy hops. The taste is about as average as average can get. Nothing bad at all but nothing exciting either. Very clean and pure with a bit of sweetness and a bit of hops but very ordinary. Goes down incredibly easily and you will have the whole thing done in a minute if you aren't careful. Not because of anything outstanding but because it's such an easy beer.

11-14-2006 03:10:44 | More by Neehan
sloejams

3.1/5  rDev +1%

Unfortunately this is the first beer that most Americans associate with Belgium. For shame. That said, It's not terrible. If you live in Los Angeles, like I do, it's often the best option places will have it. So with these caveats, I end up drinking a bit more of it than I would truly want.

It is very light in color. A golden straw color with a good deal of carbonation. It's very light in basically all areas: aroma, taste, body and appearance. I guess that's why Americans like it so. With the American macros, this stands a level above, as it does have some flavor qualities. It's aroma is grainy with a slight sweetness. Much true to for the taste. The water taste is particularly Belgian, but that's about it. It's drinkable, but nothing I would crave.

11-13-2006 22:14:23 | More by sloejams
AniGamor

3.53/5  rDev +15%

I'm kind of a beer rookie, but I know what I like. I had this from the bottle, I bought a six-pack from kroger looking for new things to try. This comes in a smaller than normal bottle, 11.2 rather than 12. It has a white covering on the neck and premium written a couple of times on the bottle. I don't know what other swill the company makes but this isn't all that great of a beer.

I suppose the nicest thing to say about it is that it's well packaged and the liquid itself it nice and clear looking. This beer seems to be a little on the weak side on the flavor side, although, it'll get you drunk quick by how easy it is to drink. I consumed 2 beers in about 10 minutes, and one (now two) of them while writing this review, and although I was thirsty I usually don't knock them back that quick. I can say that although I probably wasn't drunk, I could certainly feel them, maybe a bit tipsy.

The beer reminds me of Perrier, it's well carbonated, quenches a thirst (eventually), and has a bit of an after taste. I'm not sure what is but there is a slightly chemically after taste, it's almost like the alcohol content is overpowering the rest of the beer in the end. Stella is still better than any Miller, budweiser, or Coors, but

When you take a mouthful of this beer it's no different than a mouthful of bitter seltzer or after the carbonation wears off it's like a mouthful of water with a little bit of beer flavor. There is really no body to this beer, however I just went and got a 3rd one; walking to the kitchen I realized I was really buzzed.

I think maybe the true problem with this 'Premium' lager, is that it's too filtered. Sometimes it's okay to leave a little bit of beer in your filtered water and alcohol mixture, however this beer doesn't retain enough.

I will probably never buy or order this beer again, it's not enough bang for the buck. Although this is better than the big three, I would drink a red stripe or one of the better styles of Budweiser over this one based on cost. This is a good beer for a meal, as it's easily drinkable, and the food would help absorb the alcohol. Also ice cold on a hot day, or in a hot room, I can see this being a thirst killer, eventually you'll be so buzzed out of your mind you'll forget you were thirsty.

This beer is pretty: the packaging, the head, the lacing, the color, the clarity- it's all okay.

I don't recommend this product for anything else other than when you're sampling various lagers. It costs too much to be as weak as it is in flavor, it's almost a stereotypical cheap beer with expensive packaging.

11-07-2006 05:48:03 | More by AniGamor
MrHungryMonkey

2.85/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Groovy green bottle with neck-wrap. Best before 03.2007.

Pale yellow color – perfectly clear – almost inch head, light and fluffy – nice carbonation

Malt and hops, mild blend – cool and crisp – lightly alcoholic

Light malt, earthy and chewy – mild bitterness and sweetness – very mild hop flavor

Thin with a modest carbonation kick

Not my favorite. Taste is bland. Another light thirst-quencher: not offensive or special.

11-06-2006 05:08:49 | More by MrHungryMonkey
tugdriver7

Maryland

3.38/5  rDev +10.1%

I've had Stella in a bottle before and it was OK, but nothing to write home about (or write BA about). Then I tried it on tap and was a bit more impressed. Still not worthy of a session beer, but it went great with wings and crab dip at our celebration (congratulations pilot N!). Color was wan yellow in the glass with a nice pillowy head. Lost a lot of carbonation in the pouring process (vis-a-vis the bottle version), but that improved it, IMHO. A bit of skunky hops in the smell and the same in the taste, which was a bit of a put-off for me. Rather thin mouthful, but sweetness and bitterness in perfect balance for food. I'd try it again with a meal.

10-31-2006 13:57:54 | More by tugdriver7
Dennycurr

2.88/5  rDev -6.2%

Is ok.
Better than all the usual American beers.
But the low end of Belgian beers.
Seems to be taking over the USA, just like it has in Europe.

I'll say this----
It is the best beer of the" ordinary".
There also seems to be a different taste from the bottle than out
of a tap.
Both---not bad---but different, none the less.

Den

10-29-2006 14:39:27 | More by Dennycurr
GooberMcNutly

2.13/5  rDev -30.6%

On tap. Clear with medium head that fell fast. Light color. Strong aroma of noble hops and a distinct hops bite on the first sip. Refreshing, almost sour from the hops kick. Technical perfection, but no soul. Perhaps the keg was getting old, but the hops aroma was almost oxidized and was almost too much for such a light lager.

10-25-2006 15:56:42 | More by GooberMcNutly
BBM

2.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Back when I was a beer dummy, I tried this beer and was taken aback. It was much smoother, with more flavor than most light "macros" I had been swilling in the past. And it was Belgian! Such a delight.

Although I am now by no means an afficianado, I have much more beer drinking experience and I have to admit this beer isn't what I once thought it was. If Europe makes macro lagers (which is possible they do) I assume this is what it would look and taste like.

The look is that of a clear golden yellow. Maybe a bit darker than a Budweiser. There is a bubbly white head with little lacing. The smell is faint, but hoppy and grainy.

It tastes of, well, hops and grain. It gets bitter toward the end. It's really a bare bones light lager with not much distinctive character. The mouthfeel is carbonated, but crisp. It's highly drinkable, since it's thin, and the alcohol taste doesn't really come on too strong.

Don't get me wrong, it's better than American macros, but there are so many better beers to come out of that country. I have not tried any other Stella beers, but I would like to, since this one seems to be aimed at the same blokes that make Bud the most popular beer in the world, and I know they can do better.

10-22-2006 13:15:10 | More by BBM
JOaikido

Quebec (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev +2.6%

Big green 660 ml bottle split with my dad and had in a Stella Artois glass.

A- Decent golden colour. Few bubbles. Smallish head. The very definition of average beer.

S- Smells like macro Euro lager. Floral hops.

T- Crisp, easy drinking euro lager. A decent macro. A little watery. Hops mild but pleasant.

MF- Carbonation OK. Too thin.

D- Very easy, thirst quenching.

10-20-2006 00:22:53 | More by JOaikido
rarevos

3.4/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a frozen pilsner glass. They literally didn't have any non-chilled glasses, so it's not like I could exchange it. Rather than drink out of the bottle, I tried the chilled glass. Maybe one day I'll try this beer in a different glass, but I'm not of the school where I think it makes a whole lot of difference.

Anyway, the beer.

A: Pours with almost no head, and is a clear light gold. Little shavings of ice from the inside of the frozen glass slid off and mixed in with the beer. That's not the beer's fault.

S: Not getting much here. Some sweetness from the malt, but there aren't any aromatic hops that I can detect. A little bit of a flowery aroma. Again, very mild.

T: Not terribly complex, but it went well with some chinese food (I wonder if that's because the rice from the dinner paired well with the rice from Stella? I have no idea if Stella is brewed with adjuncts, though). Crisp, clean, sweet, very mild bitterness. Got a little fuller, grainier and dryer as it warmed. The best thing about this beer is that, unlike BMC, it wasn't overly fizzed. It was dry and crisp.

D: It's a mild, inoffensive beer in a mild, inoffensive style. But it's not terrible, and it has more to recommend it than BMC. On the one hand, this beer is built so that you can drink a ton of them. On the other hand, it's not the kind of beer that draws you in and actually makes you DESIRE to have more than one or two. It's sweet, it's mild, and it's a "last resort" beer for me when I'm at a restaurant. But it's solid, and doesn't make me want to start a "you'll never believe what I had to drink" thread in the forums.

10-18-2006 21:22:18 | More by rarevos
jazappi

Kansas

3.55/5  rDev +15.6%

Good Beer. Definitely worth a try. Most uniuqe thing about it is, according to my waitress, was that when been served in a glass, it has to be served in a special Stella Artois glass, with a gold rim. Not sure if the brewery is requiring the shape of the glass for the tasting or what. I am still a rookie at beer tasting.

10-17-2006 18:36:29 | More by jazappi
billybob

3.9/5  rDev +27%

pours a two finger white head with nice lacing to the finish. nice clear light gold color. smell is fresh but not much else distinguishable there. taste has a ginger grain alochol slight hop after taste. mouthfeel light clean crisp dry. drinkability is good its something i would not buy all the time though good for a change of pace.

10-17-2006 17:51:31 | More by billybob
gus

2.9/5  rDev -5.5%

A very pale, golden yellow in color, with avery thick snow white head, with decent lacing. A very faint smell of hops and a somewhat sweet smell.
Mouthfeel was light, medium bodied, carbonation decent and very fizzy.
This beer was sampled after allmost a month at sea, where there was no beer available. So for quenching my thirst and a "COLD BEER" it served it's purpose. Overall it tastes like most of the other "EURO" Lagers. Would I buy it upon my return to the states, probably not.

10-15-2006 09:41:37 | More by gus
Morris729

Pours a crystal clear pale golden straw color with a thin fizzy white head that quickly vanishes. Nose is herbal hops with a bit of grain. Taste has some grassy notes and dry grains along with some mildly spicy hops towards the end. Fizzy mouthfeel. Decent lawn mowing beer, nothing more.

10-09-2006 02:18:25 | More by Morris729