Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros
3.06/5  rDev -0.6%

A - poured into a stella tulip - big two finger head - pillowy - sticky lacing - good retention -straw golden colour

S - pale malt - definite skunk - stale biscuit - some citrus

T - skunky pale malt - no hops of note - a dry biscuit - hint of citrus - nothing spectacular

M - medium body - light carbonation - dry

O - used to be one of my favorites before opening my eyes - now I can only see it for what it lacks - that being said still drinkable

2.05/5  rDev -33.4%

Okay, this is my chance to vent a bit. A good number of my friends -- none of which know anything about beer beyond the fact that it gets you drunk -- rountinely order Stella at the bar as if it's some kind of vastly superior brew. These same folks drink BMC all day and night, but are willing to spend nearly double on Stella. I don't get it.

The sad thing is, I think they view Stella as some sort of status symbol, like ordering a Stella is cool or something? Please.

That being said, folks have bought me Stella before, and I've purchased a bomber or two at Sev when my only choices were that, Heinie, or some nasty malt liquor.

Sooo...

A: Color is a bit deeper/richer than BMC, so there's that. A tiny head that quickly dissipates, leaving little or no lacing. Put a drop of orange food coloring in Budweiser and you'd pretty much have the look of Stella. So yeah, not impressed.

S: What smell? Are we talking that slightest hint of grain that may or may not be my imagination? NEXT

T: Budweiser with maybe a little something else going on. Not impressed in the slightest.

M: A little more substance here than your average BMC (emphasis on little).

O: I seriously cannot detect much notable difference between this and Budweiser (or whatever other BMC you want to sub in). I'm not a total snop -- I drink BMC more often than I'd like to admit -- but Stella has a premium pricetag while giving swill quality. The only people I can imagine buying this are beer ignoramuses that want to look cultured, but secretly can't handle anything beyond good ol' BMC flavor. This stuff may have been passable fifteen years ago as the bros suggest, but not now.

3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

14.9oz can into traditional Stella signature goblet.

Beer pours a transparent light golden color with about a finger's worth of white head that quickly recedes. Barely any lacing is left behind. Pretty meh... unexciting.

Not a whole lot on the nose. Able to pick out some bread like malt sweetness, but no hop presence what so ever...

Very mild and bland tasting. Grainy malts and just the faintest hint of light fruit. Very very mild hop bitterness in the very back end. Tastes like a higher quality Budweiser to me.

Mouthfeel is pretty light bodied and easy drinking. Decent carbonation and a semi-dry crisp finish.

Overall, this is what it is; a well made but pretty bland lager. Although my brother (not a beer aficionado) proclaims this as is favorite beer, its just not flavorful enough for me, especially for the price point. However, if you need something poundable that is still actually a beer, this might be exactly what you're looking for.

3.43/5  rDev +11.4%

A. Light pale yellow with some decent retention and minimal lacing and some decent carbonation.
S. A biscuit and bready malts.
T. Has a sweet taste at first of some fruit and than a hint of hops and grains follow. The taste is nicely balanced and tastes better than what someone might expect when looking and smelling this brew.
M/O. A nice crisp clean smooth beer that is a nice easy drinking and relaxing beer. This may just be the best or one of the best macros available to drink.

2.93/5  rDev -4.9%

Half litre can, brewed in Belgium but only 5.0 abv compared with 5.2 for Stella that stays in Belgium. Poured into a pint glass, it had one fat finger head. Amber colour, poor retention of the head. Faint industrial lager smell, slight hops. Sweetish taste gave way to a bit of grain. Went down ok, it's a decent euro lager.

2.61/5  rDev -15.3%

Kicking it in Brazil at a local establishment (The Double B!!!) and my host was buying Stella for session purposes. Unfortunately...this night Stella just wasn't doing it for me....seemed very heavy and not satisfying. The color is golden and clear with good corbonation. There is noe smell other than grain. The taste seemed heavy that evening and there was a grain taste present. The mouthfeel again was rated lower due to the "heavyness" that evening. Its an ok beer...certainly better than Budwieser!

3.22/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

While I've never understood people's enthusiasm for Stella, I must admit it's a very attractive looking EPL. Translucent gold, with a puffy, porous white two-finger head that dies down over a period of a few minutes to lacing. Some bubbles dance their way to the surface, but it doesn't look as 'soda pop' carbonated as many lagers. Looking at it makes me kind of thirsty, even though this isn't really a favored style of mine. The smell is typical and hard to detect, but what is there is at least pleasant and not corny - a little bit of citrus, grains, and yeast. A little more hop presence than a lot of the equivalent competitors.

The taste is similar, both in profile and intensity. Fortunately it also lacks off-putting corn/rice flavors. Slightly sweet at first, but hops and a faint hint of lemony citrus come in. Finish is dry and slightly bitter. Watery mouthfeel with high carbonation, but appropriate for the style, and very clean tasting, not to mention crisp/refreshing in the two months of hot weather we get in northern Alberta.

I must admit I'm slightly impressed, but I think it has more to do with lowered expectations than any particular novelty this brew has. Actually, it doesn't really have any novelty. But as a widely-available macro EPL, you could do worse. It's certainly comparable to others in its category (Heiny, Grolsch, etc.), and in fact probably somewhat better. This is worth getting (on-tap or canned) if you're at a pub or liquor store with lame selection, but not something I'd probably select otherwise. I usually avoid the bottles, as with most imports; not worth the risk of it being skunked. I have had skunked Stella before and it is not a pleasant experience.

[Updated Oct. 18 2013]

I picked up another can of this stuff, and compared it side-by-side with some Heineken, Grolsch and Tuborg Gold. This is a great-looking lager in the glass, but other than that it doesn't excel in any particular area. It has a relatively clean, grainy malt flavour with a nice brush of grassy hops and moderate carbonation. I'd easily take this over Tuborg and probably Heineken, but I still feel it necessary to knock the score down a peg or two. Above average for the style, but pretty forgettable.

Final Grade: 3.23, a C+.

2.57/5  rDev -16.6%

A: A very pale yellow color. Has a thumb sized head, small amount of retention and medium amount of lace. Also has a noticeable amount of carbonation bubbles rising to the surface

S: A very clean sweet smell, very typical of a pale lager. Also detectable is a small amount of bitter hops and the sweet malts are very identifiable.

T: Has a sweet and bitter taste to it that goes with the smell. Also has the typical water taste that comes with a Pale Lager. The carbonation is not really a factor here even though you can see the bubbles rising up to the surface.

M: Is very light bodied with the hop bitterness building up on the palette toward the end of the drink. The carbonation level is very good and gives it the correct kick to go with the sweet bitterness.

O: This is a very good example of a Pale Lager and is much better that its American counterparts. This beer is perfect for someone wanting to enjoy a few drinks without getting something very hardy.

This brew was okay. I would easily take a Heineken over this brew. I feel this is just a heineken clone. Clean taste, a tad bitter and dry finish. I really believe this is one if not the worst belgian brew I have ever had though. Hoonestly as one of my rules if Budweiser is the distrubutor of the product it normally is not worth drinking. IMO

2.68/5  rDev -13%

Another average beer here.

A - Clear and gold, white head. Some bubbles from carbonation.

S - Not much smell to it. If anything has a slightly cirtusy smell to it.

T - Taste more or less watery, with a bitter finish.

M - The carbonation again make me think I'm drinking sparkling wine. Watery

O - Another average beer available in Brazil. Out of the three that I have tried (Brahma, Bohemia, and this one) I'd have to go with Brahma (though that's not saying much)

3.15/5  rDev +2.3%

500ml can served in a chalice.

A: Pours the traditional Lager golden-yellow color with a big bubbled fluffy head. Clear. Very few lacings left

S: Sweet grains (a bit bubblegum). Very biscuity. Yeasts. Floral and grassy hops

T: Follows the nose. Sweet grains, biscuit and hops. Light citrus hops bitterness. It could be a bit less watery to be honest

M: Very light body. Medium carbonation

O: Really honest and decent Lager for a macro brewery. Probably the worst Belgians can do :p. Suitable for a hot sunny day...

2.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured into my stash IPA glass

Pours I light straw yellow, bit of fizz some actual head and retention, multiple strings of carbonation are apperant

Very clean in the nose, some grain bit not much else

Not bad, cooked grain, a little bubble gum like sweetness and some very faint cooked veggies.

Light in body, over carbonated if you ask me, could be that some knocked over the bottle in the fridge or something.

Overall, I'm a little underwhelmed but happy it's not trash, not a bad alternative to some of the american macros

3.28/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Pours a clear yellow with two fingers worth of fluffy foam. Settles to a bit of a cap and left tons of lacing.

S: Sweet grains with some grassy hops. It also has a bit of a musty/skunky aroma.

T: Sweet grains with grassy hops. None of that skunkiness that I got in the aroma which is a plus.

M: Light to medium carbonation with a light body.

O: You know what you’re getting when you drink Stella. It’s better then most macros so if you’re looking for something easy to drink you can’t go wrong with Stella.

3.03/5  rDev -1.6%

I think this is an all around good beer indeed. Its appearance is probably the most appealing to people because of all those billboards and hip commercials. The only problem with this beer is that it doesn't really have that good of a flavor to it. You can drink plenty but you simply don't get that much flavor like you would out of a Heineken or something. Decent beer for whenever but I'd rather take a Heineken.

2.83/5  rDev -8.1%

Oh Stella!, Meh well, its a decent brew. Really nothing special about this European Lager. Its a bit to bubbly for my tastes, and I've even had bottles that just seem beyond overcarbed at times. Had that musty smell that hits the nose as soon as the bottlecap pops off. While I don't think this beer is "special" by any means, its a good beer. I've spent many nights around a campfire with friends and a case of Stella...

2.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Beer poured into a conical shaped Pint glass; enjoyed at the Providence, Rhode Island airport.

A - Beer shows a moderate amount of lacing with some carbonation; golden colored clear body; beer was served with a one finger size foam and dissipated rather quickly

S - Grain and corn scents are prevalent in this beer; lager airiness to it; some fine notes of light grapefruit or champagne

T - Mild lager malt notes; grains and corn; has an acceptable;e about of hop notes to it for a macro; bitter aftertaste and sourness to it

M - Barely any carbonation felt on the tongue or palate; water consistency

D - I had this at an airport waiting for my flight, my choices were this or Bud/Bud Light; I think I chose wisely; I've always enjoyed this beer from the few macros I actually drink

2.62/5  rDev -14.9%

Serving Type- Pored from a chilled 11.2 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Kind of bland, light bodied, yellow straw color with about two and a half fingers worth of white head that dissipates rapidly and leaves almost no lacing what so ever on the brim of the glass.

Smell- A mild hoppy aroma with undertones of malt and grains. If the beer becomes skunked it has an offensive stale, almost sour smell.

Taste- For a beer that claims itself to be Belgium's original, it isn't too impressive. It has a mild bitterness with a faint hop aftertaste. If the beer gets skunked it tastes just like it smells, stale and sour.

Mouthfeel- Almost no carbonation present. It has very little bite and goes down very easy, again, if not stale or skunked.

Overall- I personally think this beer is a little overrated for how much hype it gets. It's easy to drink and goes down smooth, but then again so does water. It might just be that I got a bad six pack, but from what I read I'm not too far off the norm.

2.68/5  rDev -13%

A - Pours a bright, clear honey golden color. Crystalline bubbles float up almost champagne-like. A ruffled white head appears that fades quickly.

S - Grainy, slightly biscuity aroma. Just a touch skunky

T - Grainy, slight malt sweetness. Some metallic flavors are also present. Some slight hop bitterness.

M - Thinner, but quenching. A little over-carbonated. A good summer beer at least.

This beer is pretty generic. The color is a golden yellow a fizzy white head. The aroma smells like a traditional lager, it's kinda got a sour aroma. The flavor is kind of like a pilsner, it's a little grassy but it has some hops too. The mouthfeel is light enough to drink a few in a row if you want to. My thoughts on this beer overall is that this beer is indeed a generic lager made in Belgium. Not a whole lot more to really say about this one.

3.69/5  rDev +19.8%

Had this with Arnot Pepijn Steve and Fatim. After talking about the taste in the US, Pepijn tells us that its brewerd differently in Belgium. There version of "PBR" or "Yuengling Lager", they buy it cheap by the case. The taste is SIGNIFICANTLY better in Brussels. Definitely light, well-balanced and tasty, much better than any of the "standard" beers in the US.

Notes:
-24 bottle case
-Beer Distributor, Brussels, Belgium

2.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Had this one after a long day in New York. Poured a light yellow color with white head building, but dissipating very fast, leaving little to no lacing.
Smelling the beer , all I could detect was grain, and some citrus.
The Taste was just as bland, grains dominating, little citrus, bread and a little hop in the back. Very light and bland, leaving a bitter aftertaste.
After a long day, the first sip was a welcome thirst quencher, but after that it was not of my taste. To me it is like the typical mass production beers. Not much to it.

2.84/5  rDev -7.8%

11.2 oz bottle (green) into a pint glass

A: Big foamy head poured. Completely clear, pale yellow. Decent lace.

S: Sweet, honey. A little skunk. Grain.

T: Biscuit, a little alkalinity. Sweetness and a slight skunky touch.

M: A little richer than the average light lager.

D: Really don't like this stuff but it has its better qualities. Still don't understand the use of green bottles. I think Europeans secretly giggle every time an American pops open a skunked Stella, Heineken, Grolsch, or Pilsner Urquell and then goes on to extol its virtues. Sad.

Standard European Macro green 12 oz bottle. Pours straw hue with a large, medium white head and lively, soda like carbonation.
Aroma is Standard European Macro grassy aroma. Light, very crisp body. Taste is light grassy hops and bready malt. High carbonation makes it difficult to drink. I poured a half of the bottle down the drain. I find it insulting to call this brew Belgian.

2.93/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours straw yellow with a nice head. Very, very pale beer. Not as good it's cracked up to be. I think I'd rather have a Carona. Is this made with corn? Seems to have a thicker mouthfeel than American adjunct lagers. Not much flavor to this beer. I can't detect any malt flavor, and the hops are low profile too. I have only tried this once before, and I remembered it being alot better. Probably won't try again unless it's Artois or Budweiser.

3.03/5  rDev -1.6%

Last beer I have to choke down from the Mediocre Beer in the Firm's Fridge series. Made it through them all and most I hope to never have to drink again. 12 ounce green bottle into pint glass.

Stella used to be the go-to before real beers started becoming readily available. It's still your best option in many bars where a craft brew may not be present.

Pours golden yellow, pinky finger thick white head, unreliable lacing. Head dismisses itself rather quickly, leaving only some residue behind.

Surprisingly no skunk. Fairly straight up smell. Just grains and some malty sweetness underneath.

Not too much going on, but drinkable and nothing offensive. We're talking faint hints of malt, sweetness. Very faint hints of spice. Some hops can be detected here giving this beer some depth that sets it apart from a lot of the American Adjunct Lager crap that this often gets lined up next to. Maybe a slight touch of dryness on the back end.

Fairly light bodied with appropriate levels of carbonation. Crisp, but not harsh.

It's a decent brew although nothing exciting and certainly on one of the bottom rungs for Belgians. You can do a heck of a lot worse and you can do a heck of a lot better. I'd put this one in the lower quartile of drinkable lagers.

Stella Artois from Stella Artois