Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev +14.6%

I'm kind of a beer rookie, but I know what I like. I had this from the bottle, I bought a six-pack from kroger looking for new things to try. This comes in a smaller than normal bottle, 11.2 rather than 12. It has a white covering on the neck and premium written a couple of times on the bottle. I don't know what other swill the company makes but this isn't all that great of a beer.

I suppose the nicest thing to say about it is that it's well packaged and the liquid itself it nice and clear looking. This beer seems to be a little on the weak side on the flavor side, although, it'll get you drunk quick by how easy it is to drink. I consumed 2 beers in about 10 minutes, and one (now two) of them while writing this review, and although I was thirsty I usually don't knock them back that quick. I can say that although I probably wasn't drunk, I could certainly feel them, maybe a bit tipsy.

The beer reminds me of Perrier, it's well carbonated, quenches a thirst (eventually), and has a bit of an after taste. I'm not sure what is but there is a slightly chemically after taste, it's almost like the alcohol content is overpowering the rest of the beer in the end. Stella is still better than any Miller, budweiser, or Coors, but

When you take a mouthful of this beer it's no different than a mouthful of bitter seltzer or after the carbonation wears off it's like a mouthful of water with a little bit of beer flavor. There is really no body to this beer, however I just went and got a 3rd one; walking to the kitchen I realized I was really buzzed.

I think maybe the true problem with this 'Premium' lager, is that it's too filtered. Sometimes it's okay to leave a little bit of beer in your filtered water and alcohol mixture, however this beer doesn't retain enough.

I will probably never buy or order this beer again, it's not enough bang for the buck. Although this is better than the big three, I would drink a red stripe or one of the better styles of Budweiser over this one based on cost. This is a good beer for a meal, as it's easily drinkable, and the food would help absorb the alcohol. Also ice cold on a hot day, or in a hot room, I can see this being a thirst killer, eventually you'll be so buzzed out of your mind you'll forget you were thirsty.

This beer is pretty: the packaging, the head, the lacing, the color, the clarity- it's all okay.

I don't recommend this product for anything else other than when you're sampling various lagers. It costs too much to be as weak as it is in flavor, it's almost a stereotypical cheap beer with expensive packaging.

AniGamor, Nov 07, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Groovy green bottle with neck-wrap. Best before 03.2007.

Pale yellow color – perfectly clear – almost inch head, light and fluffy – nice carbonation

Malt and hops, mild blend – cool and crisp – lightly alcoholic

Light malt, earthy and chewy – mild bitterness and sweetness – very mild hop flavor

Thin with a modest carbonation kick

Not my favorite. Taste is bland. Another light thirst-quencher: not offensive or special.

MrHungryMonkey, Nov 06, 2006
3.38/5  rDev +9.7%

I've had Stella in a bottle before and it was OK, but nothing to write home about (or write BA about). Then I tried it on tap and was a bit more impressed. Still not worthy of a session beer, but it went great with wings and crab dip at our celebration (congratulations pilot N!). Color was wan yellow in the glass with a nice pillowy head. Lost a lot of carbonation in the pouring process (vis-a-vis the bottle version), but that improved it, IMHO. A bit of skunky hops in the smell and the same in the taste, which was a bit of a put-off for me. Rather thin mouthful, but sweetness and bitterness in perfect balance for food. I'd try it again with a meal.

tugdriver7, Oct 31, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Is ok.
Better than all the usual American beers.
But the low end of Belgian beers.
Seems to be taking over the USA, just like it has in Europe.

I'll say this----
It is the best beer of the" ordinary".
There also seems to be a different taste from the bottle than out
of a tap.
Both---not bad---but different, none the less.

Den

Dennycurr, Oct 29, 2006
2.13/5  rDev -30.8%

On tap. Clear with medium head that fell fast. Light color. Strong aroma of noble hops and a distinct hops bite on the first sip. Refreshing, almost sour from the hops kick. Technical perfection, but no soul. Perhaps the keg was getting old, but the hops aroma was almost oxidized and was almost too much for such a light lager.

GooberMcNutly, Oct 25, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Back when I was a beer dummy, I tried this beer and was taken aback. It was much smoother, with more flavor than most light "macros" I had been swilling in the past. And it was Belgian! Such a delight.

Although I am now by no means an afficianado, I have much more beer drinking experience and I have to admit this beer isn't what I once thought it was. If Europe makes macro lagers (which is possible they do) I assume this is what it would look and taste like.

The look is that of a clear golden yellow. Maybe a bit darker than a Budweiser. There is a bubbly white head with little lacing. The smell is faint, but hoppy and grainy.

It tastes of, well, hops and grain. It gets bitter toward the end. It's really a bare bones light lager with not much distinctive character. The mouthfeel is carbonated, but crisp. It's highly drinkable, since it's thin, and the alcohol taste doesn't really come on too strong.

Don't get me wrong, it's better than American macros, but there are so many better beers to come out of that country. I have not tried any other Stella beers, but I would like to, since this one seems to be aimed at the same blokes that make Bud the most popular beer in the world, and I know they can do better.

BBM, Oct 22, 2006
3.15/5  rDev +2.3%

Big green 660 ml bottle split with my dad and had in a Stella Artois glass.

A- Decent golden colour. Few bubbles. Smallish head. The very definition of average beer.

S- Smells like macro Euro lager. Floral hops.

T- Crisp, easy drinking euro lager. A decent macro. A little watery. Hops mild but pleasant.

MF- Carbonation OK. Too thin.

D- Very easy, thirst quenching.

JOaikido, Oct 20, 2006
3.4/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a frozen pilsner glass. They literally didn't have any non-chilled glasses, so it's not like I could exchange it. Rather than drink out of the bottle, I tried the chilled glass. Maybe one day I'll try this beer in a different glass, but I'm not of the school where I think it makes a whole lot of difference.

Anyway, the beer.

A: Pours with almost no head, and is a clear light gold. Little shavings of ice from the inside of the frozen glass slid off and mixed in with the beer. That's not the beer's fault.

S: Not getting much here. Some sweetness from the malt, but there aren't any aromatic hops that I can detect. A little bit of a flowery aroma. Again, very mild.

T: Not terribly complex, but it went well with some chinese food (I wonder if that's because the rice from the dinner paired well with the rice from Stella? I have no idea if Stella is brewed with adjuncts, though). Crisp, clean, sweet, very mild bitterness. Got a little fuller, grainier and dryer as it warmed. The best thing about this beer is that, unlike BMC, it wasn't overly fizzed. It was dry and crisp.

D: It's a mild, inoffensive beer in a mild, inoffensive style. But it's not terrible, and it has more to recommend it than BMC. On the one hand, this beer is built so that you can drink a ton of them. On the other hand, it's not the kind of beer that draws you in and actually makes you DESIRE to have more than one or two. It's sweet, it's mild, and it's a "last resort" beer for me when I'm at a restaurant. But it's solid, and doesn't make me want to start a "you'll never believe what I had to drink" thread in the forums.

rarevos, Oct 18, 2006
3.55/5  rDev +15.3%

Good Beer. Definitely worth a try. Most uniuqe thing about it is, according to my waitress, was that when been served in a glass, it has to be served in a special Stella Artois glass, with a gold rim. Not sure if the brewery is requiring the shape of the glass for the tasting or what. I am still a rookie at beer tasting.

jazappi, Oct 17, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +26.6%

pours a two finger white head with nice lacing to the finish. nice clear light gold color. smell is fresh but not much else distinguishable there. taste has a ginger grain alochol slight hop after taste. mouthfeel light clean crisp dry. drinkability is good its something i would not buy all the time though good for a change of pace.

billybob, Oct 17, 2006
2.9/5  rDev -5.8%

A very pale, golden yellow in color, with avery thick snow white head, with decent lacing. A very faint smell of hops and a somewhat sweet smell.
Mouthfeel was light, medium bodied, carbonation decent and very fizzy.
This beer was sampled after allmost a month at sea, where there was no beer available. So for quenching my thirst and a "COLD BEER" it served it's purpose. Overall it tastes like most of the other "EURO" Lagers. Would I buy it upon my return to the states, probably not.

gus, Oct 15, 2006

Pours a crystal clear pale golden straw color with a thin fizzy white head that quickly vanishes. Nose is herbal hops with a bit of grain. Taste has some grassy notes and dry grains along with some mildly spicy hops towards the end. Fizzy mouthfeel. Decent lawn mowing beer, nothing more.

Morris729, Oct 09, 2006
3.08/5  rDev 0%

The only decent beer on tap on a small gin joint.

This was poured into a chalice, it had a small white head, and looked pale yellow.

It tasted like sweet malts. Luckily, nothing nasty found in 40 ounce malt liquors. There was a little more action happening on the tongue than American macros, but it's still a light beer. I can't get excited about it.

Crisp, cool, a bit overcarbonated. Not a bad light beer. Can't even taste the 5.2 ABV.

terrabyte, Oct 07, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +30.8%

Had this at airport in phoneix (sp?) & was impressed, been a long time since I've had this

Poured golden & effervescent with a 1" white head. Efferevescence held up well through the pint. Great lacing & good head retention

S: Sweet malt

T: Sweet malt with a slight crisp citric hop smack up front. Slight fruitty edge & then a nice crisp & malty finish

MF: Soft, with medium body, good carbonation & balance

Drank very easy, wouldn't want to stay on it all day, but could if that was the best beer on offer. Nothing too exotic here just a real quaffable lager

russpowell, Sep 28, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Pale yellow and crystal clear with a small white head which is dissipating rather quickly. Carbonation looks lpretty active. A pretty average appearance for the style. Head retention is poor, very little lacing.

Very clean aroma, no diacetyl-a good thing- overall a pretty average aroma. Small amount of noble hop aroma with a whimpy malt backbone to support it.

Clean and well rounded flavor. Detectable hop flavor, spicy noble hop flavor. Little bit of a malt sweetness to balance the noble hops. Pretty average Euro Ple Lager. Not a bad brew, but I think that there's beter out there that represent the style.

Nothing to special about this lager, Mouthfeel high carbonation kinda gets in the way of the weak flavor of this beer. The beer goes down super smooth and is very easy to drink. However, I wouldn't want to drink this all night just because I know that there's better out there. However, I do believe that this beer would work wonders as a crossover beer.

becktone, Sep 19, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +32.5%

This is one of my favorites to drink when I go out.

Looks like most beers. Pretty decent color.
Also has a generic beer smell in my book.
Nice crisp and clean taste when served very cold.
I can drink these all night or until my wallet is dry.

Definitely prefer these from the tap thought Im a fan of the bottle.

StyAndOrDem, Sep 15, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -12.3%

Stella Artois
12 oz bottle
Recent bottling, gulped down 09/06
Medium pour in a pint glass

Poured a clear bright yellow with an average rocky mostly diminishing white head with good lacing.

Smelt of sweet grain and rice.

Taste was upfront light grapefruit rind bitterness followed by a moderate bitter sweet cereal kick that shortly lingers. Mouthfeel was light, watery, overly fizzy and moderately astringent

Overall, just some average European pale lager, nothing special here.

xav33, Sep 12, 2006

Very underrated beer.

This is a very good, slightly malty, medium hopped beer that tastes its best after a few hours of mowing the lawn or working for the "man".

As with any beer, the draft tastes better then the bottle, but that also depends on where you got it from.

Ralelen, Sep 12, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -1%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Crystal clear, straw color. Perfectly white head with good lacing. Everything about the appearance screams "macro".

Smell: Strong noble hop aroma.

Taste: There is a decent hop flavor and bitterness, but other than that, it's like water. There needs to be something else to this.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a macro-like crispness.

Drinkability: Easy to drink, but so is water.

This is a classic, boring lager. No significant flavor other than some bitterness.

psinderson, Sep 11, 2006

Served at just over fridge temperature in the brewery's own distinctive glass. 11.2 oz. bottle; Best before end 07.2007.

Appearance- Pours a pale straw yellow with a quite attractive two inch head... great activity going on inside the glass, with multiple streams of carbonation. Thick webs of lacing are left behind... great looking brew.

Smell- A whiff of pennies, floral hops, light grains... essentially a standard EPL nose.

Taste- Grainy and grassy, the palate is clean and balanced with just a touch of malts. Nice sharp, zippy hop bitterness at the sides of the tongue right after the swallow.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The slick, rolling carbonation in the mouth feels just right, it certainly works with food. This beer has the unique character of being light-bodied yet very satisfying, and drinkability is excellent. Much to my surprise, this beer definitely has its place on a hot day.

yelterdow, Sep 08, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Appearance: Poured into my pint glass a straw yellow color with an inch thick head that lasted through out the drinking.

Smell: Skunky dominates the smell with a hint of malt.

Taste: Right away you get the malt flavor with a little sweetness, and some small corn taste. But what I really thought was nice was the faint hoppy bite to the very smooth finish. Probably one of the better tasting Euro Pales out there.

Mouthfeel: Light and not overly carbonated.

Drinkability: Considering the smoothness of the beer I could easily kill a 6er of these.

Overall one of the better tasting Euro Pales but it’s a mediocre beer compared to the rest of the beer world.

robocrouch, Aug 29, 2006
1.6/5  rDev -48.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Belgium’s original beer, from er, Luton. Had to review the ubiquitous wife beater, you know, to take the rough with the smooth. This one falls in the latter category.

Poured a pale straw colour, fizziness abound, with what could best be described as a white foamy scum on the top, consisting of large bubbles, and a smell, which hits you on pouring. Rancid, wet cardboard, slightly sweaty, with a corn character, which is probably chemical in origin for all I know. The sweet taste had a nasty kind of bitter finish, which clings to the palate for dear life. I noticed a taste of alcohol, even though it's only 5.4%. A fizzy watery concoction which, if it was stronger, could qualify for tramp juice. I think the advertising owes a lot to the success of this abomination in these here parts, making it seem more sophisticated than it is. That said, if you just want to get trashed after a rubbish week in work, then this is the poison to do it with, although if you enjoy good beer, have a curry with it to overpower the taste.

zebedee, Aug 28, 2006
3.28/5  rDev +6.5%

Not to use the review forum to preach, but think many BA members give lagers and pilsners unfavorable reviews becasue most, myself included, favor ales and more complex beers. However, beers should also be reviewed based on the comparison to other beers in its category.

Though pale lagers like Stella Artois do not have the flavor profile of a Strong Pale Ale, for example, they have their place in the brewing spectrum. These beers are quite refreshing in warm weather and pair well with numerous, especially spicy, foods.

Stella is a solid beer within its category. It pours a staw color with a frothy, not very stiff, head that shows decent retention for such a light beer. A slight amount of large-bubbled lacing remains behind.

The bouquet offers a sublte hoppy aroma with a sweet accent, along with some gentle floral and yeasty notes.

The taste offers strong presence of adjucts: yeast, light sugar, and some hoppy bitterness. The mouth is very light with only a modicum of complexity. It is effervescent on the front palate, gets a little bitter on the start of the back, but finishes with a sweet flourish.

It is highly drinkable, though must be consumed cold. It's solid for the style.

Osiris9588, Aug 28, 2006
2.53/5  rDev -17.9%

Didn’t think much of this. Even less because I let it warm as I drank it. That is fine for Belgians, stouts and barleywines, but this beer needs to be drank ice cold. The beginning aroma and flavor were not much, and they got worse as it warmed. Finish was similar to drinking a BMC, dry with a bitter after-taste. I could have these at a party, if free and cold, but doubt I’ll be spending money on this again.

kimcgolf, Aug 27, 2006
3.35/5  rDev +8.8%

From a 330ml. green bottle with a "best before end" date of 06.2007, pours a light yellow-gold lager with pristene clarity and a 1/2" of white bubble foam head and some lace. Good carbonation although the head settles rather quickly.

Grainy cereal malt nose, a bit of hop and some initial skunkyness from the green glass that eventually faded out.

Lightly sweet, grainy malt flavor that pans nicely into a hopped bitterness that finishes clean and somewhat crisp. Fairly tasty lager, as far as lagers go.

Light body with a wet, watery mouthfeel...it's easy to consume and is quite refreshing. I think it's much easier to drink than American Macro's and is a good example of it's style.

scottoale, Aug 26, 2006