Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros
3.57/5  rDev +15.9%

appearance: Deep yellow and golden

smell: slight hoppiness scent

taste: Slightly sweet flavor and very clean

mouthfeel: Light, crisp and refreshing

drinkability: Easy drinking beer that I contantly choose when out. It's starting to take over Heineken in populartity now.

1.76/5  rDev -42.9%

Had this on-tap in a pint glass at Ham's in Kernersville.

A - Bright gold/yellow, completely clear, with about a finger's worth of head that dissipates quickly leaving a thin collar. No lace.

S - Not much smell at all. A faint cereal grain aroma mingles with some grassiness.

T - This is one of the worst tasting beers I've ever had. I don't remember it being so bad out of the bottle, but tonight, this was truly awful. There's a quick burst of graininess followed by a strange, medicinal sweetness; something like ethanol, artificial flavoring, and crushed aspirin. The faint, grassy hops make this taste much worse, and the beer finishes dry with a medicinal and metallic bitterness.

M - Mouthfeel was alright...carbonation was high and body was light.

D - Yuck. There haven't been many beers that I haven't finished because they were just that bad, but this was one of them. Maybe a tap problem? Who knows, but this was one of the worst things to hit my lips in awhile. Perhaps the flavors of the beer don't do well with an on-tap translation.

3.42/5  rDev +11%

Golden yellow lager with a sort of small white head that fizzles out rather quickly. Smells semi-sweet and grainy. A little malty. No hoppyness in the smell but a little bit of hop bitterness in the flavor. Pleasant and clean tasting lager. It tastes like it was brewed from quality ingredients but it's not worth the ten-dollar-per-six-pack price tag. No poor aftertaste. It's definitely better than Budweiser but not worth the price to me.

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance: Golden/yellow and clear. Decent head. Lots of carbonation can be seen here.

Aroma: Hops, some grassy scents, little grain I guess. Smells like the style. Pretty mild scent overall.

Taste: A little sweetness, that balances out with a mild amount of hops. Bitterness is minimal, and overall the taste is pretty subtle, and follows the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Light. Crisp from the carbonation (which will probably lead to burping, I guarantee). Not bad, and its refreshing

Drinkability: Well, low ABV, crispness and lightness lend itself to excelling in this category. Not my main choice for a refreshing beer, but its not bad. Its a better version of Heineken, I'd say, the flavors in this are a little more balanced out.

3.78/5  rDev +22.7%

A pretty good beer that is easy to drink in any situation

A- Very clear golden with hundreds of carbonation bubbles and an active, foamy head that poured to 2-fingers

S- Smell is skunky and grainy and Belgian

T- Tastes like it smells but the grains taste more malty

M- Fell is somewhat watery but with a decent level of carbonation that carries it over the tongue

D- Best thing about this beer. Easy to pound, but I've had better

3.03/5  rDev -1.6%

No need to clog the forum with a lengthy review. This is a classic, Euro Pale Lager. Gold-yellow body, white, fluffy head that evaporates in about 3 minutes with no lacing. Plenty of carbonation making for a crisp mouthfeel and refreshing drink, but not a whole bunch of flavor. No aroma to speak of.

Just about the most over-rated beer in America. Is it bad? No. It it good? Again, no. It's just okay. And If I'm going to drink "just OK" I'm going to go American to get it.

It's the Budweiser of Premium Imports.

3.8/5  rDev +23.4%

[Eyes] Head is initially average sized, frothy, white, mostly diminishing.

[mouth] medium yellow, Goood carbonation the afther taste is large and bitter, Flavor is moderately sweet, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly sweet, moderately bitter, slightly husky, slightly unclean. Medium body, watery texture, lively carbonation.

[Nouse] Aroma is lightly malty (grain), moderately hoppy (herbs), light note of solvent. Smells and tastes a bit industrial.

3.33/5  rDev +8.1%

Served in the Stella Artois chalice

Look a very good looking beer in its glass, golden body with a very nice white head.

Smell pretty mild some sweetness and flowers.

Taste pretty good subtle flavors. Flowery

Feel lively carbonation very clean

Drink goes down very easy. I could have a lot of these.

Comment a fairly easy drinking beer with some very mild flavors. A good beer.

2.43/5  rDev -21.1%

I remember this being better... it is pale yellow with minimal head, doesn't look any different than the typical keg party beer. Minimal smell. One taste I picked up that was a little different was bubble gum. I had this beer at the end of the night because I had a few too many heavy beers and wanted something a little lighter. This really isn't any better than any cheap American alternative. Don't pay extra for it.

Nice gold color and decent white head. Smells of barley and hops are fairly strong. It's very crisp in taste and not as light as most pale lagers. The foam leaves a nice clear line of where the beer was after a drink.

This is a beer that I would enjoy at local bar and, or at a get together with friends. I will definitely drink this beer again.

3.87/5  rDev +25.6%

Presentation: It was poured from green 11.2oz. bottle into a tulip glass that is similar in size and shape of a signature Stella Artois glass.

Appearance: It has a nice light golden color with very good clarity and a good amount of visible champaign like carbonation. On top it forms a big fluffy head that slowly settles and leaves very little to no lace.

Smell: The aroma has a delicate floral and grassy nose.

Taste/Mouth feel: It has a delicate flavor as well as its aroma. There is a mild sweetness that is balanced by light floral, almost fruity and mildly bitter hops. This mild flavor can become skunked very easily so look for as fresh a sample as possible. Its body is light and the finish is crisp and dry. The texture is slightly slick and thin with lively carbonation that makes it very easy to drink.

Notes: A good fresh Stella well have a good delicate and somewhat dry flavor that pairs well with food in place of dry white wine.

2.83/5  rDev -8.1%

On-tap 8/28/08 at British Beer Company in Walpole, MA, served in a nonic glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, grain and some hops.

T: The taste is bready but light with flavors of grain, adjunct, some yeast. There's a mild hops presence that provides a little balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is dry.

D: Not very flavorful, goes down ok, not very filling, decent kick, since I didn't really find much difference between this beer and many of the macros out there, I would choose most of them first simply because they're cheaper. This beer didn't give me much of a reason to select it again.

3.65/5  rDev +18.5%

A: Poured a pale golden-orange with a 1 finger frothy and very active snow white head. Retention was however less then moderate and quickly collapsed leaving on a frail and withered lacing behind. Visible carbonation was light with only a few gentle streams rising from the center of the glass.

S: The nose was light in nature, some fresh dried corn scents and light buttered hints with some wheat and hay. Subtle yet enjoyable.

T: The initial flavor had some dry husky grains, corn, and light dried butter hints along with a soft flowery/grassy hopping. Some dried orange peel and dried lemon peels were also found on the finish and fade. Overall I thought this was a finely brewed lager, clean, with a beautiful grain palate and soft hopping that complimented each other nicely in perfect balance. Per style probably one of the finest of its kind,

M: light, with a soft effervesce, while a soft dried citrus flowering hopping and beautiful graininess highlight the tongue.

D: Good drinkability above and beyond. An easy session, easy recommend, and one of the cleanest tasting lagers ive tasted. A prime example by style.

3.17/5  rDev +2.9%

I have a friend from Belgium who stated I just have to try Stella...of course you have to say it correctly...Schella...anyway...he told me how great it was so I said if you're buying, I'm trying.

What a let down...As it has been stated before, this would be an "OK" summer beer that you could rip and tear and drink down, but for the price, there are far better brews.

At the first pour it pumps up a nice white head, and cascades to nothing, leaving behind little if any lacing. I have picked up the hint of skunk but I don't taste it. The taste is light, a little bitter on the back end.

I was able to pound three down rather quickly, but that isn't the point. Save your money and buy something else...unless of course your friend is willing to shell out the coin for you to drink this "wonderful drink from my homeland".

1.95/5  rDev -36.7%

Stella Artois is one of the most successful products of brewing giant Inbev. It is marketed here in Canada as a sophisticated man's drink, but I understand that in the UK it's routinely known as "wife beater" after the market segment that drinks it. My bottle is marked for expiration in 8 months and I'm wondering if I should let the remaining 5 bottles reach that day.

This beer's Belgian heritage is about all it really has going for it. There is next to no head off the pour and in a few minutes - no head at all, period. Even Coors and Budweiser have done better in this area. The colour is pale and gives you a warm up of what to expect next..

Which is almost nothing! :) There is hardly any smell at all. Perhaps some hay or grass with a hint of honey.. but that's probably just my imagination trying to come up with something. The taste is not any better - one dimensional, overly hoppy and a metallic aftertaste that will have you wondering if someone dropped a roll of quarters in your drink.

Drinkability is average but the hangover is even higher. In North America, if you're going to spend this amount of money, you can do much better.

2.88/5  rDev -6.5%

I like Stella for what it is. It's an easy to find solid session beer. Golden colored, light-bodied, this beer goes down very smooth with very little aftertaste. Refreshing. Slightly grainy and sweet tasting. I'd say this one is ideal for sitting out in the sun and again, not a bad session lager.

This beer is sold in just about every pub/tavern in the area. I never felt motivated to drink it until yesterday. The best that I can say about this beer is that it is unremarkable and unoffensive. I don't even think it is as complex as Heineken, which isn't saying very much. The best I can say about this beer is that if I wanted to drink a ton of mass produced lager it could be this. It may be a good cross-over beer from people looking to finally mature enough to step away from the Miller Lite / Bud Lite crowd.

2.83/5  rDev -8.1%

So I decided to try Stella again. Through my many past sips, I always deemed it a failure of massive, well-marketed proportions, and I haven't touched it since my first BA review of the stuff. But after many a friend argued of it's euro lager superiority over, say, Grolsch, I figured I'd give it a shot. And it was mediocre, which is a huge step up from the atrocity that it was the last time I checked (maybe some of them actually are skunked, and it's not just the flavor!). In any case, it's an okay beer, fairly smooth, with some mild skunkiness. Body's thin and not too interesting, and the carbonation's pretty high. Crisp, and none-too-terrible if you're feeling thirsty but also wanna get drunk.

2.18/5  rDev -29.2%

All that was in my Dad's fridge, so I left him a Sierra Nevada Anniversary in trade...

A - Clear golden in color with small head and minimal lacing.

S - Some corn and wheat scents with a little alcohol.

T - Kind of skunky water. Not as bad as Bud or anything but Ughh.

M - Watery and almost flat feeling despite seeing bubbles?

D - For me, pretty low. For those you're trying to ween of Bud Light, high...

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Lager taster from beer club

A - Yellow in color, no head, moderate carbonation.

S - Bitey malts, light honey.

T - Very malty, sweet, light honey.

M - Dry maltiness, very nice. The spicy malts give the finish a sour flavor though.

D - Most people would not like, but a nice euro take on a lager style.

3.27/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance:
The brew is a very pale gold - it almost looks like a slightly-less-dark carbonated glass of apple juice. Head formation is ok but looks frail (i.e. not very "thick"); retention and lacing are relatively poor. Carbonation seems abundant at first; this seems to contribute to the quick head formation.

Smell:
I really can't detect much of anything. There seems to be a bit of bitterness from the hops, but other than that it's pretty "clean" as far as I'm concerned. There might be a very, very slight hint of apple but I can't even be sure of that. It's not a bad smell - there's just not much there.

Taste:
It's quite a bit sweeter tasting than it smells. There seems to be some moderate hop bitterness but not too much else. I can't quite figure out where the sweetness comes from; perhaps it's just the fact that the hops don't add nearly as much bitterness to the palate as they do to the nose. Again - not bad, it's just not really that special.

Mouthfeel:
In addition to drying my mouth a bit, this beer is very light. This seems to be the case with some of the "Euro lagers" that I've had. It's not a THAT bad of a quality, since it helps with the...

Drinkability:
Yeah - it's really, really light and there's not a whole lot of distinct flavor. This is a beer to pound. Unfortunately, it's a bit too steeply priced for someone such as myself to consider doing that.

Summary:
I think what I said in the drinkability section describes it best; it goes down great but it's too expensive to justify doing that. I really didn't think there was a whole lot of "character" to it. It seems to be just a pretty "clean" beer overall. I'm not too disappointed, but I'm not really impressed by it either. However, it's not nearly as God-awful as that Kronenbourg 1664 (which I believe is of a similar style), so my rating should reflect that.

I hate lagers, but with all it's hype I decided to pick up a single bottle of this.

appearance - yay, another lager... resembles carbonated applejuice and a thin white head quickly dissipates to just a couple bubbles.

smell - Smells like cooked vegetables and a small alcohol smell comes through too. and a hint of the typical lager smell.

taste - Quite different than I expected. I do taste a bit of Belgium craftsmanship in this. Dare I say a bit sweet wheatlike taste and thats about it, no complexity at all. a little bready too.

mouthfeel - The real taste comes through at the end, it's somewhat smooth and not as 'crispy' as other lagers, which is good.

Drinkability - Is actually quite high on these for me. It's light, smooth, and goes down easily. I could session these, but they're too overpriced for me.

3.31/5  rDev +7.5%

I have always assumed that this beer isn't very good, but I thought that I would sit down and try one and give an honest assessment.

a: Clear yellow body, fluffy white head. good lacing and retention.

s: sweet grainy malt and a floral note.

t: light pale malt sweetness upfront and moderate bitterness from stale tasting noble hops. surprised that no big off flavors are present. more bitterness than I expected. Not bad, just plain.

m: appropriate carbonation medium body for a pale lager. finish is crisp and short.

d: even if you don't want to think about or taste your beer, I would suggest something else. this stuff tends to be a bit pricey. why on earth is this beer so popular? The flavor isn't particularly good and it isnt any more refreshing than a say...a Session lager. Whatever, to each his own.

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

This is a fine lager.It has a golden yellow color. A yeasty, slight hop aroma. Nice head. The taste is a nice light crisp lager with a mild hop flavor. great with food. It has excellent effervesence with a light, inviting mouthfeel. A very drinkable beer.

2.81/5  rDev -8.8%

A: Pours a straw gold, clear with a white head that struggles to stay around a few minutes. Lots of rising carbonation.

S: Bready, some straw aroma, canned corn, and a lingering pale malt. Some earthy hops seem to be weak and or not fresh.

T: Loads of dry pale malt and some dry grassy characters. Hops are adding some bitterness but no flavor. Ends slightly astringent.
Not a complex malt profile.

M: Crisp not smooth, moderate body with a dry finish.

D: It is a bit overrated by the main stream but you could serve much worse at a picnic or bbq. Will go with any kind of BBQ and has some flavor qualities.

Stella Artois from Stella Artois