Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros

The Czech Stella, served in a somewhat large .66 liter bottle. Appears golden yellow, with head approaching 0 towards the end. Smells like not much at all, slight hoppy smell. Taste is bland, a little hoppy and consistent. There are better lagers to be found, my friends.

RocketWidget, Nov 10, 2003
2.63/5  rDev -14.6%

Ah, the even crappier Russian version of Stella. I ordered this at an excellent Chinese restaurant in Moscow. It came out in a nice logo stemware glass, and didn't look half bad. Slightly greenish gold sits under a one-finger white head that settled quickly. Forget about lace. The nose was malty, grainy, ricey and slightly skunked. The mouth was a bit prickly and fairly heavy, with a bready consistency. The taste features mild bitterness from the start, with musty malt undertones and a touch of cabbage. The finish is vegetable and hoppy bitter, while the aftertaste has a crisp bitterness, with ricey notes. Could I drink a ton of these? Sure. Would I want to? Not really.

Globetrotter, Nov 08, 2003

Ah, the crappy UK version of Stella, drunk from a can whilst watching Blaine greet his army of fans. This is watery with no real aroma of hops or malt. The taste is the same....it tastes of something, but what, I don't know! Mouthfeel is light and drinkability is OK. Average

francisweizen, Nov 06, 2003
3.63/5  rDev +17.9%

Appearance: clear, golden color, with a prodigious, snow-white head of foam, pristine, creamy, inviting.
Aroma: slightly hoppy, with a typical lager smell, dry and clean, still fresh, though this is the very last pour from this keg.
Taste: Crisp, tidy hop bite up front, slowly fading off, but returning with each sip, very smooth, eminently refreshing. A sweetish taste emerges, with notes of honey and citrus. Light bodied. Snappy, tasty, with a pleasant finish.
I anticipated liking this less. In fact my first try was from a sample bottle provided free. Wasn't moved, even disliked it, at first, but it grew on me. On tap, as you can tell from other reviews, it's quite a nice, simple, thirst-quenching, quaffable pils. I can easily understand it's popularity. There's just enough flavor to make this well worth drinking, and not be just another "pizza chaser", bland lager.

feloniousmonk, Nov 05, 2003

looks arent everything, but this looks like watered down apple juice. except for the super-fine bubbles sitting on top, i thought i was brought the wrong drink.
decent aroma and the mouthfeel was good when taking the color into account. i expected a watery mouthfeel but didnt get it.
overall, there wasnt much to this beer so i cant really give it very high marks. i have to say, i wanted to like this beer, but it sort of left me feeling like i missed something

joecast, Nov 02, 2003
2.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Bombard me with the average while you still can! im certainly distancing myself from the lagers and now i know why: all pales taste like the same mediocre crap no matter if coming from belgium or khatmandu. I was thrilled to try this one but came out disappointed. get out of my sight, good man.

Andreji, Oct 05, 2003
3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

Strikingly clear pale gold, a nice head that laces very well and lasts longer than many beers in this class. Light malt nose, slight musky funk and seeds. Some slight cardboard to the rather ordinary sweet malt, approaches a light nuttiness. Unidimensional medium light body and just a nod to the hops at the close. There's nothing of distinction to this beer other than smoothness and slight character to the malt bill (and its very overpriced) -- but it is pretty attractive and drinkable and less grainy than something like Harp...

ADR, Oct 03, 2003
2.38/5  rDev -22.7%

Light gold color, medium head. Light bodied lager style beer. Light malts, somewhat hoppy. Taste is a little harsh. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is crisp. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. Some green bottle taste. I realize that this is supposed to be a "classic" beer, but it really doesn't show me much.

beerguy101, Sep 25, 2003
3.43/5  rDev +11.4%

What can I say about Stella Artois. I still have the beer mats I collected of the Stella Artois series available in Belgium of the events to be held at the 1968 Mexico City Olympics. Stella has been one of my favourites for 35 years. A friend was visiting me one warm summer day this past summer and I offered him his first Stella - he went and bought some of his own.

Its a great afternoon, sitting on the deck brew. Pours a golden yellow with a strong white bubbly head - like a palomino. It leaves a lace as intricate as, well, Belgian lace. A pleasant smell of the stuff beer is made of: hops and malts and other stuff. A light smell, really, that is hard to peg - stronger would be better. Fills the mouth with a real sense of decent lager. For those who think lager can be good this can be a good friend. Slides down well. I like to drink it with salad (yep, its true) but it is good all by itself. It is light and refreshing but very un-Belgian really. Its a good get started beer - you know - for a masses style of beer.

PiratePete, Sep 23, 2003
3.15/5  rDev +2.3%

Presented in a green bottle, labeled Premium lager
Best By dated: 4/04

This beer poured a lemony yellow color that had a real slight haze to it. Decent carbonation. The head that was produced was thick, creamy, sticky and full in consistency and was the color of white. Decent last time then fell to a ring on the edges. The lace created was intricate and delicate. The aromas that came from the glass were of some light citrus fruits, sweet malts, hops, grains (seemed to be very prominent when there were aromas that came forth) and it was bready in the end. All aromas were light and not very pronounced. The flavors that came forth were of fruits (light pear and apple), bitter hops, light hints of alcohol, grains (husks), some sweet malt and a yeasty bread at the end. The aftertaste was light and had a hop appeal to it. Thin and watery was the body and some-what crisp on the tongue. Not what I would have expected from a Belgian beer. It was decent and drinkable. Seemed to me that it had qualities of a macro produced beer. Would I get again and drink. Sure.

Jarod, Sep 22, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +26.6%

Served at the Eulogy bar. This beer poured a very clear and bubbly golden straw color and was topped off with a large and lively white head. I have had this beer many times before and have always found this beer to be pleasing and drinkable and much better than your standard American macro beer. I think this was the first time I’ve had it on tap and it was very good. It’s a flavorful beer with a soft grainy and grassy character and has a sweet and sour quality about it. Also leaves an oiliness on the tongue. Light and easy to drink. I like it.

pezoids, Sep 06, 2003
3.03/5  rDev -1.6%

Another Interbrew on tap offering. Nice looking golden color, lofty white head, not at all like any other pale lager. Served in a tulip glass. Not much in the way of smell, some indistinct grains and a bit of sweet malt. Has a strange taste that dominates the middle...tastes like cooked vegetables?...ahh this is the DMS flavors so often spoken of. I've never experienced it as pronounced as this. Not bad for a pale lager, but not that great either.

chaduvel, Sep 03, 2003
3.63/5  rDev +17.9%

There has been some discussion in the BA forum, and in some reviews I've seen, regarding location affecting beer reviews. I think this may be true. The only two times I have ever had Stella is first at the Dublinh Gate pub in Whistler, BC...a wonderful bar in an idyllic setting. The second was as I had lunch at the Brasserie de La Gare, right by the water at Marina Port la Royale in Marigot, St. Martin. I, of course, took notes secretly- don't want to look like a goof.

Having said that, I can say without bias (well, maybe a little) that this is a good beer. Its rating suffers because it's a pale lager...from Belgium...an unfortunate combination for lovers of strong, flavorful beers. My advice is, don't drink Stella expecting Westvleteren.

My Stella was poured a light gold with a stark white head from the tap by my friendly French waiter into a Stella glass.

The aroma was good, grassy and malty, this beer smells sweet and inviting. The Stella has a light sweetness, coupled with faint hop bitterness. It really isn't a very strong taste but it is nice. The mouthfeel is crisp and the drinkability is good.

Overall, this is a good beer. I would not buy it for a special occasion and I probably would never have it when I go out to a bar. But if I had access to it, I would have this in my fridge often, and that's the sign of an OK beer to me.

kindestcut, Aug 29, 2003
2.88/5  rDev -6.5%

11.2oz bottle

Pours a very univiting dull pale golden color. No head and barely any lacing.
The scent is rice, heavy malt grain and skunk. Many scents but the skunk hurts this beer.

The flavor is better than the smell. Malt is most present. A credible balance between hops and malt. There is also a grassy flavor(barley maybe) that seems odd here. An average flavor overall.

It has a nice feel to it and can be drunk with ease. Crisp and refreshing it would go very well with a meal. I will try this one on tap and see what transpires.

Rumrunner, Aug 08, 2003
3.03/5  rDev -1.6%

Now Quaffing: Stella Artois

Ahh sweet Stella, oh how I have avoided thee in thy green glass bottle, to avoid a skunky experience, but alas the time has come. Belgium is reknowned for their strong ales, but a belgian lager is rare. Pours an extremely clear yellow with a titanic head of fine bubbles. Lacing is consistent and covers the whole inside of the glass. Aromas are light, grassy, just a little "skunk"... Taste is very light and the mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. Fairly balanced between hops and malts, but everything is subtle. This would be good on a hot day and definitely with food.

TripelJ, Aug 08, 2003
3.1/5  rDev +0.6%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle. The color was golden, with some head. The smell was the malty pale lager, slightly sweet. The taste was a slightly skunked malt (though not nearly as badly as a Heineken), with a bit of sugar sweetness. Mouthfeel was slightly heavy. Drinkability-wise, could probably have one more.

I must admit that I dislike Stella for the way that it plays up being Belgian (to the point of its own glassware!) when it's nowhere even close to as interesting as most other Belgians. That said, this is not a terrible lager, and probably better than some other green bottle offerings.

beergeek279, Aug 05, 2003
3.43/5  rDev +11.4%

not a great brew (in fact, i rememebr it being better in the past), but along with peroni, it's probably my favourite amongst the imported lagers in a green bottle. pours a healthy golden colour with just the right amount of carbonation for a lager. a bit heavy on the grainy taste but nothing to complain terribly about. definitely an easy brew to drink and it's available in more places than i thought lately, so it's a nice alternative when your other choices aer bud, miller, heineken, etc.

SixpointJMH, Aug 02, 2003
3.83/5  rDev +24.4%

This is a super beer for that person who is just getting into beer and is willing to try new things. I remember, years back tasting this beer at a local pub here in Chicago and thinking, hey this is a pretty nice beer. It is light and easy to drink and accompanies all manner of bar food with alacrity. I've had many a Stella with many a grilled chicken sandwich with jack cheese, roasted poblano pepper, and guacamole-don't forget the side of fries and a little mayonaise for dipping. The beer is mainly about refreshing, offering ample sweet malt/biscuit flavors and a splash of hop. If you can, try this one after a long day walking the streets of Paris, and you'll see why this beer is so popular there. Recommended highly for those who like the style.

moulefrite, Jul 26, 2003
3.45/5  rDev +12%

Appearance: Pours a clear, medium to light gold with a tight, 1/8" snow-white head; very little lacing.

Aroma: Faintly hoppy; subtle green apple notes.

Taste: Light bready-maltiness upfront; moderate earthy-bitterness in the follow-through; well-balanced; trace amounts of clove-like spices.

Mouthfeel: Unusually chewy for the style -- I sorta liked it.

Notes: A tasty little quaff. Worth a go every now and then, at least on tap.

Mustard, Jul 13, 2003
2.9/5  rDev -5.8%

The first person to ever recommend this to me years ago raved about it being her favorite beer to drink while travelling in Europe. I bought a 6 back then and it failed to impress me, and still does. Perhaps it was better back in Europe years ago, or perhaps I simply don't agree with her tastes. One thing is for sure, it's caught on in North America recently like a wild fire.

This sampling was a from a green 660ml bottle with a freshness date on the back. Poured out with a decent sized chunky white head, but it faded fast. Clear straw coloured appearance. Left a small ring and some small traces of lace. Nose possesses malty sweetness, mild flowery hops, a bit watery. Flavour is some what skunky, the malt and hops jump in to get to you first, but neither seems to win. It's fairly drinkable, but disappointing for a Belgian beer. The Bud of Belgium is how I have it pegged.

IronDjinn, Jun 21, 2003
3.1/5  rDev +0.6%

On-tap at Whistle's in downtown Scranton, PA. Served in a gold-rimmed Stella Artois chalice (very surprising, given the extreme "sports-bar" appearance of the pub).

I think it's a good thing that I knew going in that this wasn't a typical Belgian beer. This is a good thing, for SA certainly couldn't handle the jock of other Belgian beers I've tasted (not a good visualization, but you get my point...).

A very pedestrian "lager" appearance: pale yellow with just a slight fizzy, white head. Good lacing of the glass and the head is quite long-lasting. Aromas are slightly "fruity-tart" and sweet. Taste, while better than US macro-swill, is still sub-par. Flavor is mostly a slight metallic-bitter. Crisp, rather dry finish. Mouthfeel was tolerable, and not as thin as I'd expected. Pretty good drinkability, too (perhaps this was because I'd been outside at Steamtown walking around for 3+ hours....).

Overall, better than what the giants in the US spew out, but definitely not what you'd want in a Belgian beer.

OldFrothingSlosh, Jun 15, 2003
3.38/5  rDev +9.7%

The beer pours a pale yellow color, and it is a little fizzy. Not a whole lot of aroma. A much lighter bodied Belgian beer than many of the countries offerings. It has a fairly nice taste and is quite refreshing. Missing some of that lager after-tatse. Better than your average macro brew. A very good session beer.

Boto, Jun 08, 2003
3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

Served on tap at the Sunset Cantina.... Color was light golden, or perhaps pale straw is more accurate. Clear through and through, with a very tiny, thin bead of bubbles. No lacing, though.... I could only pick up the faintest whiff of hops...verrry hard to discern the aroma. Body was more on the downside of medium, but not quite thin. Still, it passed fairly over the tongue. Flavor starts with some light, bready malt (very light) and goes headfirst into a grassy, bitter hop mode. Not really a bier I'd seek out. Better than the US macro-swill, but not impressive, in general.

overall: 3.25
appearance: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | mouthfeel: 3.5 | drinkability: 3

Bierman9, Jun 01, 2003
3.18/5  rDev +3.2%

This beer was quite deceiving to me. It is Belgian and therefore I feel like I should expect something great. The beer was a decent lager and was quite drinkable. This beer may serve as a benchmark for american lagers and for that reason makes me appreciate them more. The overall appearance is that of a pale lager or a pilsner. The beer refreshes throughout and remains quite uniform as you drink the beer. The hops are what separates it from the average pale lager. Definitely chosen with taste in mind. I think this beer is a great representation of the style.

Maestro, May 31, 2003
3.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Serving : On Draft at Spaceland

Ah Stella, the increasingly favorite beer for the everyday drink in Belgium.

It's exactly what one would expect from a large lager brewery. It's a clean crisp beer with relative few flaws except a lack of interesting character.

Good hop aroma with just a touch of contential malt in the nose. Hops continue into the flavor with the spiciness of the hops appearing in the finish which dries out and makes you ready for the next sip.

drewbage, May 30, 2003