Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev +16.9%

This was a favourite of mine some years ago, I'll try to be objective.

Poured a very pale, light golden with flashes of lime green in the glass. Bubbly white head with too-large bubbles that may not be a good sign. Solid white ring around the perimeter with a wispy, thin white clouds centre. The aroma is of dirty socks, a damp basement, somewhat skunky.

The taste is of an assertive euro-lager, sharp and with a thirst quenching mouthfeel but denser than most. There is a heaviness for the style of lager that I happen to like, but it can be overbearing. Despite the up-front and pointed presentation, there is a decent finish and aftertaste. As the glass is diminished, there remain a few strands of bubbles, smaller than previously observed, slow moving and lackadaisical ... but there nonetheless.

Although not overly complicated, I find this euro lager has substantial attitude but is perhaps a little overbearing if you plan to drink several in the same sitting. I think just one of these would take care of my needs, I'd enjoy it but likely move on to something else, if available.

3.7/5  rDev +20.1%

Stella is the typical "premium beer" restaurants have on tap. It is a sessionable beer, I could easily down a few of these. But nothing really stands out about the beer, the hops are there- and there are more than a typical beer, and the flavor is OK. But for the price- 8-9, there are plenty of other good beers.

2.53/5  rDev -17.9%

Had this last night at BDubs while eating a few wings. It was the special of the night.

Pours a light yellow color with minimal white head. Smell is not very strong, and I can kinda smell some malt and mostly grain. The taste is bittering and gives way to again more of the grainy taste. It leaves a tiny bit of sweetness that might be the reason people keep drinking these. The carbonation is crisp and made a nice compliment with the spicy dish.

2.98/5  rDev -3.2%

A light golden color with a thin, fizzy head. Smell is of light hops. Somewhat skunky also. Taste is light hops and honey-like malts. Very light and slightly bitter. Decent drinkability though this isn't a regular. I'd rather have it on-tap but can't complain about the bottle.

2.88/5  rDev -6.5%

I had this at my BBQ last week. A friend brought some over and I was wanting to try it.

A- Touch of clouded Yellow, white foamy head, not much retention
S- Pretty boring smell, nothing notable, possibly some malty sweetness
T- Crisp light bite, maltyness, possibly a touch of hop finish
M- Very light bodied
D- Very easy to drink, possibly too high ABV for session, but doesn't bother me

Wasn't to much to say about this, It kind of reminded me of Warsteiner only snappier. Does not remind me at all of belgian style beers.It was near 95 that day the grill was going and I enjoyed the few I had. If I had no other options besides BMC I would pick this up in a heartbeat!

2.93/5  rDev -4.9%

Green 11.2oz green bottle best before 4/2008.
Tasting while waiting for my fried calimari plate.

A:Straw, crystal clear, minimal head with med carbonation

S: grassy mildly hoppy. not much happening

T: grainy, slight hop bitterness

M: crisp, again slightly bitter, nice fizz to the carbonation

D: light and easily quaffable on a summer day

Run of the mill lager, tasty but not up to it's hype. After it's appearance it's all slightly downhill.

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

On tap, and poured into a shaker. This pale lager poured the typical clear, golden color, with a huge amount of dancing carbonation bubbles dancing up the sides of the glass. A very thin, white fizzy head quickly faded away. The aroma of this beer was sweet malts and some surprisingly strong (for a pale lager) hop notes. The flavor was much the same. Sweet maltiness followed by a nice noble hop presence. One of the better pale lagers that I have sampled.

1.75/5  rDev -43.2%

Always anticipating but always disappointed. Looks refreshing, but the flavor is just plain mediocre, in my humble opinion- and I try everything. It has a slight acidity in the back of the throat when it goes down. I give it the benefit of the doubt time after time, but Mr. Stomach tells me to avoid it altogether now. My brother likes this golden lager, but I always get a sour gut from it. I cannot recommend a beer that consistently makes me sick after one bottle.

2.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Pretty sure this one isn't going to live up the hype, but it was on sale and I got a cool Stella stem glass with my case.

Aggressove pour yielded on a one finger head that quickly broke down and faded to a very thin white ring. Little gobs of lacing, Maybe a hue more towards amber than other lagers.

Aroma is fairly underwelming. Some graininess and some sweet malts, not much else.

Some bold, yet grainy malt battles some rather sharp hop, with neither one giving an inch. Some sweetness and even a hint of cooked cabbage.

Certainly more full-bodied than many Euro-Pale Lagers

Over-hyped and fairly average lager.

2.25/5  rDev -26.9%

Appearance: very clear with a light yellow colour. The head is white, fairly substantial, well formed and with a moderate retention.
Aroma: skunky with some citrus notes.
Taste: kind of sweet but not much else in there.
Mouthfeel: a little sweet, good carbonation, low alcoholic strength, very light body.
Finish: very slightly bitter and very short.
Overall: crisp and refreshing but very common. The lager style is definitely not a specialty in Belgium.

2.63/5  rDev -14.6%

Served on draft in the Stella goblet, the beer is a clear light gold with a small white head that leaves very nice foam rings from every sip.

The smell is pretty subdued, pils malt and a bit of noble hop spice.

The taste is more robust, very grainy, with a nice hop backbone that keeps it bitter and crisp. Overall, it comes of a bit too sharp and astringent.

The mouthfeel is crisp, medium bodied for a pale lager.

This isn't a very a very good tasting euro pale lager, and it's a bit heavy, so I don't feel it's drinkable at all. The best part is the glass, which, along with Belgium's (well deserved) reputation for brewing the best beers, are probably the only reason it's popular.

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

I haven't had Stella Atois for a long long time. Since before I first had Hoegaarden Witbier to
now. Maybe my pellates have matured over this period or maybe it is just much better on tap; I
think I would believe the latter. The Stella Atois was served in a nice Stella Atois glass and
it looks a nice brown golden color with a medium head, fair retention. It smells mainly malty
and the taste was that of nice strong malts with some woodiness within the malts. I do not think
the woody taste is from the hops. My brother did not like this woody taste but I kind of liked
it. The stella finishes on a nice malty note leaving a lingering malty after taste and very light
hop bitterness. The mouthfeel reveals that the beer is about medium body and with average
carbonation; not bad. I definitely prefer this to the can version I think is a little too
metallic and seems a bit strong and "repulsive". Bitterness was also pretty high. On tap, these
properties are scaled down significantly and the malty taste is more pronounced and more
soothing and different. It is definitely a lot smoother in the mouth and down the throat as well.
This tasting changed my impression of the Stella Atois significantly.

3.28/5  rDev +6.5%

A: A simple bottle that is easily recognizable not just by label but by it’s elongated almost geometrically vertical neck. This is a good example of the style with its light yellow to golden translucent color. The ¾” frothy white head that dissipates over four minutes.

S: A sharp distinct pale lager.

T: A crisp taste of light hops, and light malt, a very good thirst quencher with a sweet peach flavor in there. A very smooth finish.

M: There is a thin feel to this, that rolls well by the palette.

D: Very Impressive for a mass marketed beer. I'm seeing this more and more at the "lesser bars and restaurants" that don't quite carry a decent selection of imports. I would choose this lager over most of the more common selections.

3.03/5  rDev -1.6%

12 oz. bottle from the B-Side Liquor Lounge on Coventry, Cleveland Heights, Ohio.

Appearance: Clear and gold with an impressive foamy white head that retains well in a pint glass.

Smell: Yeasty bread and zesty hops.

Taste: Fairly simple, hops and malt. Nothing over the top.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a crisp, dry finish.

Drinkability: Par for the course for a Euro Pale Lager.

3.03/5  rDev -1.6%

There is one thing I did think that did stand out about this one and that was the apperance a nice gold color besides that everything else was pretty much average. The taste was smooth something you would drink after a hard day. The smell (hardly any to speak of) was very faint. It is worth a try but I would try a 6 before a 12.

2.68/5  rDev -13%

Served in pilsner glass from 12 oz green bottle at about 35F

Appearance is crystal clear straw with fluffy white head that completely dissapates leaving little lace.

Aroma is standard soapy pils.

Beer is almost flavorless. At least other green bottle macros has some quirkiness to them.

Drinkability? Why bother, it's empty calories.

2.98/5  rDev -3.2%

pretty decent. i thought that it would have more body than it did but was not totally dissappointed. this is one of the many euro beers that i have had and it is interesting to taste the diff hops within them.

give it a try if you can find it. nice light lager that is easy to drink.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

3.63/5  rDev +17.9%

This is a highly drinkable beer. Great for the summer, but not particularly interesting for sipping.

Good color and clarity. Smells clean and crisp.
Taste is smooth, kind of thin, and with a bit of sweetness. Overall it's a mild lager, with not much going on.
Mouthfeel is clean and crisp. Great summer beer.
Highly drinkable for the summer, but not the fall and winter.

3.18/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance - 3.5
Either a dark straw or pale golden colour, I can't decide which. Poured about a finger and a half of head, which quickly reduced to a thin layer of froth.

Smell - 3.0
The smell I was immediately assaulted by upon opening this was pure skunk. Not good. However, things do get better. There is more strength to the smell than most lagers, with definite smells of grass and hops.

Taste - 3.0
Pretty good for such a mainstream beer. It is sweeter than I remember, which helps it to go down rather smoothly. Tastes a little shandy-like, but not in a bad way, with flavours including sweet malt and grassy hops. The finish is moderately bitter and a little dry, nothing too memorable. Aftertaste is pretty ordinary.

Mouthfeel - 3.5
As mentioned, it goes down smoothly. Carbonation is low for a lager, it feels moderately weighted in the mouth

Drinkability - 3.5
You could swill this down all night, but perhaps shouldn't seeing as at 5.2% it is stronger than most mainstream lagers. There are better session beers out there with a lower ABV, so this marks it down.

OVERALL - 3.2
This is possibly the most boring Belgian beer you can buy, but it's really not bad. Quality seems quite high, although my bottle seems a bit on the skunked side, so I have tried to account for that in my score. This is the best beer available on-tap at many venues in Australia, so I will probably be drinking it again, but there are a lot better session beer choices out there.

Partial to Stella in times of mass drinking, I figured it deserved a rating...lively malt crispiness greets the nostrils as a soft, golden effervesecent lacing that forms strong coral-like branches....smooth, crisp and nondescript taste accompanied by lagerish palete with some bubbliness...to me, a macro with at least a clue of how to present itself...

3.4/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a pleasant beer to drink after work when visiting the pub with friends.

The aroma is mild and malty, and not too strong. It pours a nice golden colour with a fair sized white head and looks like a beer should. It is very smooth to the tongue and goes down nicely. It has a mild taste that makes this a very easy beer to drink.

Appearance: Pale golden color - poured a white head that disappeared quickly. Frankly, it didn't look like much.

Smell: Smell? What smell?

Taste: Nice flavor - much more than the scent (or lack thereof) indicated. Good balance of hops/malt.

Mouth: Smooth with good carbonation. Slightly dry finish.

Drinkability: Easy drinking beer. Pale lagers are not my style, but I'll take this over the bigger name pale lagers - and all macros.

2.75/5  rDev -10.7%

12oz green bottle. Pours golden with a sudsy head. Big bubbles race to the top of the beer. This brew shows good clarity. Has that sharp green bottle beer smell; kinda like newly mown hay mixed with salty sea air. Spicey malt and salty hops. My samples are fresh from a 12-pack box and are not oxidised. Tastes basically like most euro-lagers except has a pronounced salty bittering hop character. My guess is Saaz hops. Not bad but also not that interesting to me. I know lots of people go crazy for this beer and I'm always up to sharing a round, but I favor other styles. A good beer to keep handy though because of guests who might cringe over all the ales I have around(who keeps inviting these people?).

2.83/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance - pale yellow with a typical white head

Smell - not much to it, smells like I poured water into a beer glass

Taste - weak flavor, slight hops, very restrained over all

Mouthfeel - very light body, mellow

Drinkabilitiy - easy to drink, has that "less filling" feel

2.38/5  rDev -22.7%

A: Yielded two fingers of white, foamy head that was surprisingly more dense than I thought it would be. Average retention and some lacing. Transparent gold hue.

S: Very clean and grainy lager profile, mild. Nothing to it.

T: After the presentation and breathing in the aroma, I half-expected an improvement in the flavor. Alas, I was mistaken, as my first quaff was an uneventful, watery adventure that left much to be desired. I can't really taste any malt at all in the intro or middle, only a quaint hop bitterness and dryness in the finish.

M: Carbonation was okay, maybe a smidge of a buttery texture, but mostly a lighter, watery composition.

D: Seems like a beer that would go over well with a heavy-drinking crowd that's gotten tired of other European macros or BMC and want to step it up. Oddly enough, it feels like this beer is a step above in that regard, but certainly remains toward the bottom part of the ladder in the grand scheme of things.

Stella Artois from Stella Artois