1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,274 | Reviews: 1,287 | Show All Ratings:
MichaelNickerson

3.16/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Light, golden yellow with a thick crystal white head. The head lasts over a minute and leaves a ring around the top.

Smell: Weak, grainy scent. Not pleasant as it doesn't arouse any emotions.

Taste: Extremely smooth and grainy. Some lime acidity on the palate.

Mouthfeel: Strong carbonation, leaves the palate silky and wanting another sip.

04-01-2013 22:42:18 | More by MichaelNickerson
Rast

1.84/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Bottle numero dos at Double T Diner in Catonsville, MD. Alleluia!

Concerns from the onset: pours a thin, light amber. Fizzz. Head disappears faster than a flash of light. Can't smell much. "Euro Pale lager" is an apt description. I feel like I should be smoking a long cigarette and wearing a turtle neck. Taste is OK, lightest of barley and some hop bitterness. Feels like Sprite in the mouth. If this is truly "Belgium's original beer," I'm eternally thankful that Belgium has bettered herself over the last 647 years.

03-31-2013 15:28:03 | More by Rast
Roguer

Connecticut

3.88/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Very pale, straw-golden lager. Clear, light head, decent carbonation.
S - Basically no smell, on tap or from the bottle. Nothing bad, certainly, but no noticeable notes.
T - For a mass-market lager, you could do much worse than Stella. It's very drinkable, goes down very easy, and has absolutely no aftertaste. If you like bitter pils, then you won't like Stella; it's a much smoother lager. That, by itself, means it isn't for everyone. There aren't any real subtle notes, but it's got a bright flavor, without overpowering hops.
M - Meh. Look, it isn't bad in the mouth...but it's a lager. It's a little thin, a little light. Certainly nothing bad, but nothing great, either.
O - Again, for a lager - especially a major brewer lager - this is a very drinkable beer. There are only a handful of easily accessible lagers I would opt over this (Spaten comes to mind). If you're looking for complexity...you've grabbed the wrong beer. If you want a decent beer with no real drawbacks, something that pairs well with most food, you could do far worse.

I've had this on tap (pub pint glasses) and bottled (Spiegelau lager and pilsner glasses). It's fine either way. This is often the best lager available on tap for me (locally); not the best BEER, but the best lager. My OA rating is based on that: how good the beer is within its style, or niche.

03-29-2013 20:09:01 | More by Roguer
bbluemzbeer

3.21/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had this last night on tap

Appearance; Pours a clear golden yellow , with a minimal thin white head and minimal lacing.

Smells sweet and grainy

Taste : Stella Artois tastes a lot like Olde English , which isn’t a bad thing at all because I very much enjoy the sweet undertones of the Malt Liquor

Mouthfeel: Light and not overly carbonated and very well balnce

Overall : All in all, it's a decent beer better then bud and miller, I will stick with olde English for price point but this not bad beer.

03-28-2013 15:59:19 | More by bbluemzbeer
Eeroomnhoj

3.75/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hey this was pretty good beer. I'm drinking this real cold and am enjoying it. Tastes a little like Heineken and while it's not going to win any contests, it is still a beer and as Ben Franklin said, it's proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. I'll drink it again and again.

03-09-2013 00:06:13 | More by Eeroomnhoj
dazdave

1.48/5  rDev -51.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.5

Ordered a stella arskunk. Comes in a pretty green bottle. Served at about 34 degrees the way ab likes. Smells like a rolling rock. Tastes like a Belgian rolling rock. I ordered it hoping it was coming on tap since i was at a decidedly low brow bar. It obviously did not. I believe this beer could be better if it wasn't being abused by the sun and every other mild light source. I guess i should've stepped up to the red stripe(in a brown bottle) knowing this joint. Most beers are some lager macro-variant. The 4 ales in the beer cooler are #9, bass, sierra nevada, and new castle. Glad 1998 is alive and well in this bar.
Reviewed at the flagship Brubakers in lovely downtown Akron, OH.

02-05-2013 03:43:25 | More by dazdave
HarryPotHead

3.14/5  rDev +2.3%

A - From tap into frosted pint glass, this beer looks like any American adjunct, but gets props for the frothy pure white head and lacing you rarely see from BMC. Little to no carbonation.

S - A little skunky but not overpowering like most euro layers. Nothing special....Malts, skunk, meh.

T - Crisp, clean, and sweet with malts dominating the palate. Nothing complex or risky here...a step up from your avg American lager. Easily sessionable, but I'm wondering about the hangover I might have in the am!

M - Not much to say here....dry finish with an avg amount carbonation.

O - Not horrible. LOL. Pretty safe. Reminds me of what beer would taste like if Bud hooked up with Amstel Light for a one night stand and Bud slipped one past the goalie.

01-25-2013 21:26:13 | More by HarryPotHead
GeoffTBreashears

3.46/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I had this for the first time out of the bottle upon touring the Budweiser Brewery in Fairfield, CA. Not my first choice of a brewery to tour, but a brewery nonetheless. At any rate this particular beer had always held some curiosity for me as I had seen numerous commercials advertising this beer. And to be honest I wasn't even sure it was a beer from the commercials. At first glance I thought it must be some sort of a champagne or wine. (Clever advertising campaign I must say...especially for something as simple as a Budweiser product). Having just drank this beer for the first time... I was pleasantly surprised. Especially not being a all that much of a fan of Budweiser products.

The appearance was a pleasant golden color, slightly reminiscent of a Bud Light, and yet I didn't turn away. It was served from the bottle into the beautiful Chalice that we've all seen advertised, and that only helped add to the overall experience.

The smell was probably the most offputting part of this whole beer, as it was a slightly bitter/skunky scent. Not entirely unappealing though.

The taste held that yeasty biscuity flavor most heavily. One that Ive come to appreciate in alot of beers.

Overall, although it certainly wont be my first choice of a beer to drink, I can honestly say I dont think that it will be the last time I try this beer. I'll take it over most other products Budweiser has its name stamped on any day.

01-08-2013 19:07:31 | More by GeoffTBreashears
pkalix

straw, no head to speak of. looks like a typical, bland commercial product
smell is straw also, if that is possible.
taste is bland, slightly bitter. typical euro lager, as promised. tasted better on tap when i had it at the reunion.
oh well, i guess i'm just spoiled. most everything sold at 7-11 is just not up my alley. not without a whiskey chaser, at least.

01-05-2013 23:41:38 | More by pkalix
dhannes

Wisconsin

3.28/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap in a Stella Artois glass (tulip?)

A=Richer gold color; more inviting than other lagers.

S=From memory, some sweetness and some peach?

T=Different than I had imagined, with more sweetness and a "Belgian" backbone to it.

M=Rather light, but more body than BMC light beers.

O=I decided to try this as a complement to Buffalo Wild Wings' "Hot" wings, and it did not pair that well. I am not familiar with the style, so my points are geared more towards traditional lagers...better than average flavor, but not nearly as good as many crafts out there.

01-04-2013 02:47:38 | More by dhannes
GPHarris

Alabama

3.5/5  rDev +14%

a - poured a two-fingers thick fluffy white head into a tulip glass that settled into a thin ring. the body was a crystal clear, slightly bubbly, bright golden color.
s - classic clean lager yeast aroma with just the slightest hint of floral hops.
t - grainy with a hint of honey sweetness.
m - slick, slightly thin.
o - first time i've ever had this beer and as far as pale lagers go this one was good. if the selection at a restaurant is lacking then i'll go to this one from now on.

01-02-2013 16:28:13 | More by GPHarris
Haydn-Juby

Quebec (Canada)

3.3/5  rDev +7.5%

Served from a 330ml bottle into a pilsner glass

A: Extremely pale and clear looking. Minimal weak looking head even after an aggressive pour. Not very good head retention and very little lacing. Honestly doesn't look to appetizing to me.

S: A decently noticeable smell I guess. Perhaps a little spicy at times. I would like to add too that for this beers sake I'm not reviewing a skunky one. Slight bready smell to it as well. Not too much in the scent but its decent I guess.

T: The taste is definitely the best aspect of this beer. Its pretty watery but it still maintains a little bit of a clove like spice to it. Light-Mild hop bitterness but nothing extreme. Its pretty good tasting despite its watery nature. Not too much flavor but its noticeable. I would have rated this like a 3.8 but couldn't. Not quiet good enough for me to round up and give it a full 4 though.

M: Just average. Goes down like any other macro-lager. Maybe somewhat high carbonation but its pretty average feeling on the tongue and on the way down.

Overall: This beer is my choice in sessioning beer, even if I rarely do anymore. Its very over hyped and really doesn't deserve that pouring ritual they have for it. Not worth the money for most people but my store sells it at the same price as Bud or Coors which is strange. My fridge is usually always stocked with it. It does get skunky , maybe like 2-3 per 24, but nothing like a Heineken or a Corona. Above average but not "stellar".

01-01-2013 16:52:30 | More by Haydn-Juby
KYGunner

Kentucky

3.43/5  rDev +11.7%

This poured a gorgeous creamy finger sized head that looked like it was out of a TV commercial. The color was brownish gold and even an orangish in the light.

The scent is weak, a light malt aroma but not much else. The nose is manifested in the taste, light malts but a bready cereal taste in the body.

I find it very nice and very drinkable, a tasty sessionable brew that may not be on BAs Top 100 but ill sit and and drink a few regardless.

12-30-2012 00:42:30 | More by KYGunner
AdamBear

3.3/5  rDev +7.5%

A-golden with a frothy white head. Lots of bubbles

S-smells like a dirty european lager. More like a macro German than any Belgian.

T-comes in with a light creamy taste of German grains an honey. Somewhat bitter. Not much of an after taste.

M-creamy almost watery carbonation with a creamy finish

O-an embarrassment to Belgium. Taste nothing like any other Belgian out there. Tastes much more macro average euro lager.

12-29-2012 03:07:04 | More by AdamBear
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.38/5  rDev +10.1%

From the corked, caged limited edition 750 ml. green bottle stamped 30/04/13-32-2-15:44. The cork is stamped 8757-DIAM. Sampled on December 23, 2012.

The pour is an incredibly heady golden yellow. The head is foamy and long lasting.

Sadly, the bottle was skunked as so often happens with the green bottle and that made it difficult to identify the aromas. As far as I can tell there are bready malts and the slightest note of hops. Typical for the style.

The body is about medium and creamy.

The taste is a bit better with bready pale malts and an almost tart but also dry hopped finale and lingering bitterness. This is not one that I have frequently but drinking it in a can or on tap would be recommended.

12-23-2012 22:24:33 | More by puboflyons
Jamesp96

4.1/5  rDev +33.6%

I had it Ice cold from the bottle into a pilsner glass. I can smell hops , some malted barley but not that much , but its basically a similar smell to Heineken , you just get that European hoppy skunky smell but nothing off puting. the beer has about 2 inches of foam white head to it , very appealing golden straw colour to the beer with lots of carbonation. the taste is very smooth , it also reminds me of a nice cold heinken but less skunky , the taste is very nice and soft you can feel the carbonation the whole way through from your tounge to your throat , its basically a heineken but with a weaker bitter aftertast compared to the heineken but overall . Its a very nice beer nothing off putting about, the taste is brilliant , very drinkable. this is a perfect example of you get what you pay for in canada its around 25$ a 12 of bottles and compare it to budweiser which is around 20$ a 12. but yeah great beer i would reccomend to anyone that likes heineken and also great for christmas to. Cheers . merry christmas from drunky the clown

12-20-2012 22:47:05 | More by Jamesp96
NilocRellim

3.38/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is very light in colour and extremely carbonated. The foamy, white head disappears quickly. The smell is kind of like a skunk... but in a good way. The taste is similar to the smell, as it is bitter and kind of like a skunk (again, in a good way). You can definitely taste a bit of malts and nice hop flavours, but it is a pretty light taste overall. A bit too carbonated for me, but still nice.

Would I buy it again? Yes.

12-19-2012 01:54:24 | More by NilocRellim
jjamadorphd

3.05/5  rDev -0.7%

I had a Stella Artois for the first time - finally after having seen so many commercials for this lager I got a chance to partake - I wasn't too impressed.

From the tap it poured an eye-appealing golden color, crisp and clear. The head was white, but small, and it had staying power. The lacing was good too, sticking to the glass all the way down. I couldn't really smell anything but the hops - I was hoping for more, but nope, nothing. Mouthfeel was impressive, it wet my tongue without an overly obnoxious carbonation - that much I liked. It's taste wasn't anything better or worse from some other lagers I've had. In fact, I had to convince myself it didn't taste watery to me. (But just to hedge my bets - I kept it's overall rating at an average lager.)

12-18-2012 02:06:59 | More by jjamadorphd
Cavanaghty

Maine

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle.

Appearance: Pale yellow color with a thin white head, no lacing on the glass.

Smell: Grassy like grains mostly, and on the mild side.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth and light bodied. Taste kinda skunky, but not offensive.

Overall: Average Pale Lager, nothing special.

12-07-2012 18:50:46 | More by Cavanaghty
Scrylol

Alberta (Canada)

2.3/5  rDev -25.1%

Pours a clear, golden straw color body with a two finger white head.

Slight grassy smell to it, a tinge of sour aroma to it. Big grain notes.

There seems to be some sort of mix of metallic and skunk taste to it. Big notes of grain. Low hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel feels too watery. Decent amount of carbonation.

A rather bland Euro Pale Lager.

Serving type: can

12-01-2012 04:43:57 | More by Scrylol
Kendo

2.58/5  rDev -16%

A: Poured from the green bottle into a pilsner glass. Body is light yellow with a small white head. Single ring of lacing up top from where the head settled, but no more down the glass than that.

S: Skunked. Semi-sweetness underneath the skunkiness.

T: Touch of cereal grains and skunkiness. Once the skunkiness dissipates (or more likely, I get used to it), I get a good amount of cereal grains and straw. Finishes semi-dry with a decent crispness and a surprising amount of bitterness .

M: Light in heft. Decent crispness to the feel.

O: Like your typical green-bottled beer, it's all about the skunkiness. Maybe it would be better on tap, but from the bottle, all I really get is that skunk.

11-23-2012 21:14:15 | More by Kendo
Mavigo

3.23/5  rDev +5.2%

Had this a million times over, figure I'd give it a review. Served in a pilsener glass.

A: Pours a clear golden yellow apple juice color, with a minimal thin white head and minimal lacing.

S: Smells sweet and grainy, wheat like, breadish

T: Cant really taste much, very faint flavor, but the little that I do taste, it is sweet, grain, pretty watery but not awful

M: Has a somewhat watery feel, its crisp and very smooth, the light flavor is balanced by the medium carbonation

O: All in all, it's just an average beer, maybe a little above average, but by a hair at most. I would say it;s worth a try, but everyone's probably had this before so no need to.

11-21-2012 01:54:06 | More by Mavigo
nimrod979

1.98/5  rDev -35.5%

11.2 oz green bottle pourted into a Stella glass. Best before 1/31/13.

Appearance: Very pale, slightly hazy pee-yellow. Frothy white head. Surprisingly decent retention and layers of lacing with each terrible drink.

Aroma: Skunked cat piss. Yep, that's all I'm getting here. Sorry, that's as constructive as I can get with this putrid aroma.

Taste: Grainy, Slight sweet, sharp noble hop flavor that I'm sure is extract. Pale euro malts. Terrible actually, I cannot stand this beer, it's flavor, anything.

Mouthfeel: Watery, light body. Actually only moderate carbonation. Crisp. Gives it some redeeming quality. Dry finish.

Much better options out there for Euro lagers. One of my least favorite beers ever.

11-16-2012 01:23:41 | More by nimrod979
Drunkelstiltskin

Vermont

3.85/5  rDev +25.4%

HUGE difference between on-tap and out of the bottle. One of the most drinkable beers ever made. Clear, golden, and very little head. Smooth and crisp taste, with a very pleasant after taste. Perfect beer to drink to quench your thirst on a hot day. Also, pairs well with food like poultry and fish. Enjoy!

11-11-2012 16:53:02 | More by Drunkelstiltskin
mjurney

3.33/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance:
Straw-gold color, clear. Mid-medium bubble rising up. Thin head that disappears, leaves few lacing on the glass.

Smell:
Skunky aroma do to green bottle, but I smell some sweet grain and slight spicy hops.

Taste:
Lightly sweet grain, slight grassy, very mild hop bitterness towards the finish. Body is light, dry aftertaste, crisp, well carbonated.

11-11-2012 00:39:03 | More by mjurney