Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,365 | Hads: 4,688

Clear dark golden body with a thin white head.

Honey sweet malt with herbal hop.

Light bodied with medium carbonation. Slightly dry.

Little thin on the flavor but better than I thought. (189 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -26.5%

Before I got into craft beer, I used to drink this one frequently. In fact, it was at one point arguably my favorite. I had heard of the reputation Belgian beers had and I this thought I was being sophisticated. Since then, I have discovered the Belgian style dubbels, trippels, quadruplels, strong ales etc that are truly at another level. Knowing this, I went back to give Stella a try for old times sake, knowing full well that it doesn't hold a candle to Duvel, Chimay, St. Bernadus etc. Nevertheless, I was expecting a pleasant crisp and refreshing change of pace as I used to remember it. I was sorely disappointed. This Stella thatbI tried had a grainy and skunky aroma that truly bothered me. The carbonation was low and the taste was watery and lacking flavor. I couldn't finish it. Have my taste buds grown so sophisticated that I've become a beer snob? Or has the manufacturing of this product changed for the worst. Either way, I did not enjoy it at all. (966 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -28.1%

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 1C). Bottle 33 cl - Batch 52 02:32. AROMA: low grainy aroma with a kind of sulphury background mixed with DMS. no hop aroma. APPEARANCE: very pale straw color and translucent. average white head with average retention. TASTE: mild grainy sweet flavour with low bitterness. finishes somewhat dry. PALATE: thin body with low carbonation. OVERALL: another bulk pale lager with some odd aromas. (437 characters)

Review: Can of Stella Artois Pilsner Beer 5.2%ABV

Stella Artois is a nice clean and easy to drink beer, perfect to bring along for a party since its a beer that everyone can drink and enjoy.

The appearance was perfectly clear of a nice yellow colour, with a good sized white head and some decent lacing. It’s certainly looks the part.

The aroma was nice and sweet but faint, smelling of a malty and hoppy smell.

Stella Artois had a nice crisp and refreshing taste to it which I found very easy to drink, was clean tasting with with no real offensive flavours. It is a very sweet grainy beer yet smooth enough to enjoy.

A great session beer with your mates, light and very drinkable, an absolutely beautiful Belgian lager beer. (738 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -4.2%

Well, had it at B-dubs, so I might as well review it.

A: Clear gold. Very crisp looking. Nice carbonation as well. Only problem is that the beer has no head and leaves little lacing.

S: Very grainy - some hops. Overall not very good.

T: OK. Very refreshing - nice grain and some German hops. However, there's almost no complexity in the beer - a simple adjunct lager.

F: Refreshing. Very smooth and crispy. For drinking on a warm summer day.

O: An OK beer. Would have over a lot of the American adjunct lagers. However, nothing to brag about. (562 characters)

This does not blow me away in any sense - very much reminds me of overpriced Heineken. It is smooth, has a great head & carbonation, but overall is just ok. (156 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Okay, a couple months before I joined BA, I was visiting a friend down in Norfolk, VA, and he offered me a Stella from his fridge. Now, I am only a burgeoning beer advocate, and I actually credit this beer with getting me started. I liked it on first contact. It's a decent Euro Pale Lager. The color and head drew me in, and hey, I hadn't been into the craft beers yet, so this to me was something different. Now I know better, of course, but I would still get this if I saw it, and I would NEVER turn one down. The taste is a little carbonated, true, but it's smooth. I rate it up there with Peroni, which also has a tendency to get a ribbing here. Still, this is a solid beer. Don't dismiss it. (706 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +18.6%

Appearance - 4.25/5
Light golden-yellow color. Extremely clear, if it wasn't for the all the tons of bubbles clinging to the side of the glass (I'm probably using the wrong glassware). There was a nice foamy/bubbly head at first which dies down after a bit, though not completely. Lots of carbonation rising to the top at high speed. After settling, the bubbles on the side of the glass disappear, and the beer looks like a quite nice lager. This is probably the nicest looking lager I have seen.

Smell - 3/5
Lager smell. Maybe a bit of citrus. I personally feel that all standard lagers smell basically the same, (I call it the 'Heineken smell'). This is no exception.

Taste - 3.75/5
Lager taste, with a bit of citrus. There is some small alcohol presence which seems to be pretty standard for lagers. There is a slightly fruity? aftertaste. Overall, nothing special here, but not a bad lager at all, in fact it's quite good.

Mouthfeel - 3.75/5
Light body, very crisp. The carbonation has a nice bite to it, and adds to the crispness of the beer. Definitely a great beer to drink cold on a hot summer day.

Overall - 3.75/5
This is a high quality lager, perhaps one of the best I've had. I like that the beer does not leave as much lager-y aftertaste as many other lagers. I also love the look and the feel. This is a good simple beer, something I would definitely consider getting again.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20% (1,469 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -18.3%

A: golden/yellow straw. Very clear. Carbonated

S: slight corn with some muskiness. Mild earthiness

T: bland upfront. Typical corn husk taste. Slight musk with an almost medicinal touch. Finish is virtually not there.

MF: light with medium carbonation.

O: over hyped beer (274 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +7.8%

Not totally sure why you'd try this in the realm of all the fantastic Belgian beers out there, but I guess it's a gateway beer until you get serious. Fine for what it is, but there's so much more interesting stuff out there. (225 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -26.5%

A crisp, average lager. foamy white head settle fast. Feels lite and bubbly. Maybe a tad bit more dry than the average American adjunct, which some may prefer. Out of a bottle the skunk smell was overpowering and the subdued skunk in the taste ruins what would otherwise be a very drinkable lager. Would try again out of a can, steer clear from the bottle. (356 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -26.5%

For me, not worth... Very common, I prefer to pay a Lokal! Mad bro, even more than here in Curvelo staff was faking Skol and Brahma, changing the label of Lokal!!! (163 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -4.6%

The look of the beer is a yellow light golden beer.
The smell remind me of the Heineken.
The carbonation is really nice. The taste if a corny rice. The taste remind me of the Heineken and I didn t really enjoy it. But Stella Artois does a better job. It's nice and refreshing .
So overall would I recommend it ? Its a small yes. If you are at the bar and the price is the same as a Budweiser or Coors Light or bud light.. take the Stella Artois. But here in Quebec Canada the price for a 24 packs when its on special is 29,99 $ you can still go for it but if it isn t on special the price is around 34,99$ and for that price you can go for a 24 pack of Budweiser. So for me it's a small recommendation. But if you are in Europe go for it. (741 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -18.3%

Light, transparent yellow with tall white head and prominent lacing.

Mild grainy nose with moderate skunky thiol.

Taste is clean grain, low bitterness and low hops and crisp dry finish.

Medium light body with high carbonation.

Pretty typical premium American lager with some skunkiness. (292 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance - Pours almost a finger of bright white head which dissipates quickly. Body i a completely transparent light yellow, small carb rises in the center.

Smell - Light yeast, white bread crust, light malt, slight dried grass, light minerals.

Taste - A carbon copy of the nose, what I would cal a typical macro lager flavor overall, finishes slightly dry with a little white pepper.

Mouthfeel - Very light mouthfeel, watery, medium carb is very crisp, finish is very clean and slightly dry.

Overall - This is a bit cleaner and dryer than many of your macro lagers, but nothing that I would ever seek out. I'll give it al 2.75's, and a 2.5 for appearance. (664 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured into an IPA glass.

Look: Clear golden body. Film of white foam after head recession. A few spots of lacing.

Aroma: Lots of skunk. Some roasted corn.

Taste: Very bright and sour to start. Subdued skunk. Toasted grains, I guess. Not a lot of real beer flavors here.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, dry.

Overall: Ridiculously overpriced. I bought one bottle to review. This beer is a skunk bomb. (399 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -10.1%

RE-REVIEW
After not having this beer for around a year, I found a great deal on a 24-pack and decided to pull the trigger.

A- Clear, Bright Golden hue. 0 head and minimal-to-no lacing. Typical of an Adjunct-type Lager.

S- Very grainy and bread-like. Not much else. Nothing in the way of aromatic hops or anything else that would make the beer smell appetizing.

T- Similar to the aroma, the taste is extremely grainy. Something in this beer reminds me (strangely enough) of freshly baked biscuits. Slight hopping on the edges. Not overly interesting but decent enough to be drunk, I suppose.

M- Medium-High Carbonation. Appropriate carbonation for the style. Thin body.

O- Reason for my re-review? Whether my palate has developed (likely) or this is a bad batch (unlikely), Stella Artois is not as good as I remember it being. Its a bland, extremely simple Adjunct Lager that I would parallel to Budweiser (yeah I know). If you find some for a great price, It's definitely worth a try but it isn't worth much more than that. (1,035 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

appearance is no better than say Budweiser. perhaps even worse.
That aside, this beer smells fantastic, such a surprised. The taste is at first a reflection of the smell then immediately dies down to something far less impressionable. Undoubtedly does that kill a point or so in the taste score. With a beer of this piss yellow hue of course it will be a tad watery. And so the mouthfeel lost a point or so. Overall since this beer has some perks, I say give it three stars. Try it at least once. Its okay. (506 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +2.3%

11.2 oz. was poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: A one finger puffy head was poured that reduced to a small puffy layer. It is a golden straw yellow with great clarity and vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Spotty lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Skunk, lager yeast, pilsner and toasted malts, and grassy hops. Pretty standard for a Euro lager.

Taste : Same as above with mild bitterness in the rear.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, refreshing, bite, slight lyrics chewy, light to medium bodied, and low to medium carbonation.

Overall: Pretty straightforward and standard Euro lager. (614 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +37.3%

I never tried a Stella until I was 27. It was at South Beach in Miami. A friend of mine had bought a 12 pack of Stella cans and placed it in my cooler. I was drinking coconut rum with pineapple juice at the moment and wanted to try one out. I was pretty impressed with how clean and neat looking the can looked.

I cracked open the can and was greeted with a pleasant pssskkk noise. The can was freezing from just sitting in the cooler for 2-3 minutes. It was already pretty cold since my buddy had purchased the 12 pack from a Walgreen that had them in a freezer. As soon as the Stella hit my lips I felt instantly refreshed. It had such a great taste to it and no unpleasant taste was left in my mouth. I found it easy to drink and enjoyed the taste. I ended up drinking about 5 of them and had no bloated feeling in my gut either. Thanks to Stella I have begun trying out some more beers from the Germany/Belgium area of the world. Total wine had a great 12 pack mixer of Stella, Luffe, and Hofbrau, all of which I enjoyed.

This is a great brew, and ever since that day at the beach it has been my choice of beer for bringing to anyone's house for an occasion. I have found that at every event I bring these to, everyone loves them, even the people that don't really enjoy beer. It's a great beer to bring to any occasion because everyone can drink on it. Instead of bringing your favorite selection of craft beers that everyone else thinks taste like garbage, try bringing some Stellas. You will be the man/woman at the party. (1,533 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

When you go into a real dive, this is what a lot of people there consider their "good beer." It's not too complex or rare but it does have some good qualities. The appearance is a nice yellow with a white head that dissipates quickly. The smell is rice, a little bit of citrus, and then a bit of malt. The flavor was a little skunky but had a clean finish and I found it to be pretty refreshing. It gets a bit of a bad rap, but if you're buying beer for a large party, this is one of the beers I would definitely point towards. (527 characters)

14.9oz can had at a Comerica Park suite. I hadn't had it before, so why not? Had this straight out of the can, so I'll skip the appearance and smell, though there likely wouldn't be much going on for either category.

Basically, it tastes like I imagined it would -- a slightly improved adjunct lager. This beer is surprisingly clean without any really rough edges. It's not overly sweet or interesting in any way, it just has a bit more of a yeasty flavor than something like Budweiser does. There's a corn flavor that's fainter than BMC as well, with possibly -- POSSIBLY -- a hint of hops.

It's one of those beers that's seriously just... A-OK. Nothing wrong with it, nothing bad about it. It's not worth raving about (I don't understand its popularity), but it's certainly at least better than Budweiser or even Heineken. Drinking this beer really does make me feel like a total tool, or a faux hipster. (908 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottled poured into snifter

A-Transparent yellow , two finger head little retention solid lacing .

S- sweetness and bread

T- lots of malty sweetness, very sweet beer. Not very complex.

M- light body and light to medium carbonation smooth feel

O- refreshing and simple, enjoy a Stella here and there (309 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured into an English pint glass. Minimal head which dissipates rather quickly, nice bright clear yellow appearance. Plenty of carbonation. I can't notice much else in smell or taste other than corn. Good price at 2.99 a pint at the local 7/11. Great session beer on a hot day. (278 characters)

3.24/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Stella is fine. It's light, crisp, and sweet-ish. Refreshing on a hot day. A little bready/yeasty. High carbonation, very slightly dry finish. It's better than other lagers, but it's still a macro lager. Sometimes it's the best you can do, though. (247 characters)

Stella Artois from Stella Artois