Stella Artois - Stella Artois

Stella ArtoisStella Artois

Stella Artois visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stella Artois Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,373 | Hads: 4,727
2.71/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Last sampled on 1/16/15 with a good friend, though had this before in a small 11.2 ounce bottle and even on tap. This is a special commemorative 750ml (25.3 ounce) bottle that is embossed that I found on sale at the local Walgreen's for $4.99 with a FREE Stella glass that they even etched with your name on it also. Awesome deal about a month ago right before Christmas. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees and poured in to a Stella Artois gold-rimmed glass. Has a cork with a metal band.

Pours a straw-yellow in color with about a good 1-finger foamy white head that settles down to around 2mm after a while with some sticky lacing seen after each sip. Lots of tiny streaming bubbles rising the whole time until the end. The aroma has that typical 'skunk' aroma that is so common in green bottles for some reason and also just grains. The taste is pretty much just of grains and sweet grass with a hint of corn. Slight dry finish but it is drinkable. Lighter to medium-bodied with lots of carbonation. Nothing really special and is just OK. (1,041 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 1 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A - Pours an incredibly pale yellow, gives off about a finger of head.
S - Very light touches of grain and hops, however, keep this one right above freezing temperature, otherwise the skunk smell will come through as is commonplace with green bottle beers.
T - Has a bit more yeast, bitterness and hop presence than your average domestic draught, but still a definite, easy drinking working man's beer. Once again, don't allow this one to warm up or you'll be getting a mouthful of skunk.
O - Personally I myself have a craving for one of the skunky, green bottle beers every once in awhile, this is my first choice when I have such a craving.
V - Not good. Let the champagne style wrapping on the bottle be a sign, this is considered one of the "classiest" beers of the domestics, it isn't cheap, and until you're actually craving one, it's seldom worth the price. (869 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Specialty bottle Christmas set: 2 glasses and 1 champagne-like corked bottle.
Appearance is a pale straw colored beer. Medium carbonation with a 1 ½ to 2 inch white head. Surprisingly nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma is rather boring. I primarily get grain. Definitely get the skunkiness due to the green bottle.

The beer tastes like a macro-lager. A tad bit better than an average macro-lager however. I primarily get the nose in the taste: grain and skunk. Rather watery in my opinion with a lesser amount of carbonation than expected. Dry biscuity notes. The beer is pretty bland. I almost get a corn flavor, which may be the yeast or the grain. Strange hop flavor at the end. No bitterness, rather just an off-flavored hop presence.

Overall, this beer wouldn’t be terrible to drink at a hockey game. There is much more hype about this beer than there should be. The glassware however is pretty cool! I would pair this beer with something salty – typical pub fare anything from mixed nuts to wings to popcorn. I give it a 68/100. (1,044 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Drank cold straight from 284ml green bottle.

Once considered a premium beer in the UK, continuous reductions in strength due to taxing have left it instead as a fairly solid standby beer when nothing else takes your fancy.

S) Slightly skunked, dank hops.

T) Bitter Saars hops take the forefront. Only light bready malt flavour if any back it up. Some metallic flavours.

M) Light and very fizzy - would be refreshing if it were not for the slightly bitter aftertaste.

O) Still a much better beer than the other standard UK lagers (Carling, Fosters) etc. (559 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This is my wife's favorite beer, so we almost always have it in the house. It's very drinkable and significantly more enjoyable than most lagers out there. Recently we have been enjoying the 14.9oz cans poured into Stella chalices. The combination of the can and the chalice provides a nice lasting frothy head; nose is slightly sweet with a slight but not unpleasant “skunk” smell; mild hop flavor with some grain, generally very enjoyable. Drinks like a light beer, but tastes and has the ABV of a “real” beer. (524 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +42.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Good smooth taste, with a little dryness to it. A great balanced beer, and not very acidic because it is brewed with Saaz hops. One of my favorite hops out there. (162 characters)

Clear dark golden body with a thin white head.

Honey sweet malt with herbal hop.

Light bodied with medium carbonation. Slightly dry.

Little thin on the flavor but better than I thought. (189 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -26.7%

Before I got into craft beer, I used to drink this one frequently. In fact, it was at one point arguably my favorite. I had heard of the reputation Belgian beers had and I this thought I was being sophisticated. Since then, I have discovered the Belgian style dubbels, trippels, quadruplels, strong ales etc that are truly at another level. Knowing this, I went back to give Stella a try for old times sake, knowing full well that it doesn't hold a candle to Duvel, Chimay, St. Bernadus etc. Nevertheless, I was expecting a pleasant crisp and refreshing change of pace as I used to remember it. I was sorely disappointed. This Stella thatbI tried had a grainy and skunky aroma that truly bothered me. The carbonation was low and the taste was watery and lacking flavor. I couldn't finish it. Have my taste buds grown so sophisticated that I've become a beer snob? Or has the manufacturing of this product changed for the worst. Either way, I did not enjoy it at all. (966 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -28.3%

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 1C). Bottle 33 cl - Batch 52 02:32. AROMA: low grainy aroma with a kind of sulphury background mixed with DMS. no hop aroma. APPEARANCE: very pale straw color and translucent. average white head with average retention. TASTE: mild grainy sweet flavour with low bitterness. finishes somewhat dry. PALATE: thin body with low carbonation. OVERALL: another bulk pale lager with some odd aromas. (437 characters)

Review: Can of Stella Artois Pilsner Beer 5.2%ABV

Stella Artois is a nice clean and easy to drink beer, perfect to bring along for a party since its a beer that everyone can drink and enjoy.

The appearance was perfectly clear of a nice yellow colour, with a good sized white head and some decent lacing. It’s certainly looks the part.

The aroma was nice and sweet but faint, smelling of a malty and hoppy smell.

Stella Artois had a nice crisp and refreshing taste to it which I found very easy to drink, was clean tasting with with no real offensive flavours. It is a very sweet grainy beer yet smooth enough to enjoy.

A great session beer with your mates, light and very drinkable, an absolutely beautiful Belgian lager beer. (738 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Well, had it at B-dubs, so I might as well review it.

A: Clear gold. Very crisp looking. Nice carbonation as well. Only problem is that the beer has no head and leaves little lacing.

S: Very grainy - some hops. Overall not very good.

T: OK. Very refreshing - nice grain and some German hops. However, there's almost no complexity in the beer - a simple adjunct lager.

F: Refreshing. Very smooth and crispy. For drinking on a warm summer day.

O: An OK beer. Would have over a lot of the American adjunct lagers. However, nothing to brag about. (562 characters)

This does not blow me away in any sense - very much reminds me of overpriced Heineken. It is smooth, has a great head & carbonation, but overall is just ok. (156 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Okay, a couple months before I joined BA, I was visiting a friend down in Norfolk, VA, and he offered me a Stella from his fridge. Now, I am only a burgeoning beer advocate, and I actually credit this beer with getting me started. I liked it on first contact. It's a decent Euro Pale Lager. The color and head drew me in, and hey, I hadn't been into the craft beers yet, so this to me was something different. Now I know better, of course, but I would still get this if I saw it, and I would NEVER turn one down. The taste is a little carbonated, true, but it's smooth. I rate it up there with Peroni, which also has a tendency to get a ribbing here. Still, this is a solid beer. Don't dismiss it. (706 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +18.2%

Appearance - 4.25/5
Light golden-yellow color. Extremely clear, if it wasn't for the all the tons of bubbles clinging to the side of the glass (I'm probably using the wrong glassware). There was a nice foamy/bubbly head at first which dies down after a bit, though not completely. Lots of carbonation rising to the top at high speed. After settling, the bubbles on the side of the glass disappear, and the beer looks like a quite nice lager. This is probably the nicest looking lager I have seen.

Smell - 3/5
Lager smell. Maybe a bit of citrus. I personally feel that all standard lagers smell basically the same, (I call it the 'Heineken smell'). This is no exception.

Taste - 3.75/5
Lager taste, with a bit of citrus. There is some small alcohol presence which seems to be pretty standard for lagers. There is a slightly fruity? aftertaste. Overall, nothing special here, but not a bad lager at all, in fact it's quite good.

Mouthfeel - 3.75/5
Light body, very crisp. The carbonation has a nice bite to it, and adds to the crispness of the beer. Definitely a great beer to drink cold on a hot summer day.

Overall - 3.75/5
This is a high quality lager, perhaps one of the best I've had. I like that the beer does not leave as much lager-y aftertaste as many other lagers. I also love the look and the feel. This is a good simple beer, something I would definitely consider getting again.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20% (1,469 characters)

A: golden/yellow straw. Very clear. Carbonated

S: slight corn with some muskiness. Mild earthiness

T: bland upfront. Typical corn husk taste. Slight musk with an almost medicinal touch. Finish is virtually not there.

MF: light with medium carbonation.

O: over hyped beer (274 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +7.5%

Not totally sure why you'd try this in the realm of all the fantastic Belgian beers out there, but I guess it's a gateway beer until you get serious. Fine for what it is, but there's so much more interesting stuff out there. (225 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -26.7%

A crisp, average lager. foamy white head settle fast. Feels lite and bubbly. Maybe a tad bit more dry than the average American adjunct, which some may prefer. Out of a bottle the skunk smell was overpowering and the subdued skunk in the taste ruins what would otherwise be a very drinkable lager. Would try again out of a can, steer clear from the bottle. (356 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -26.7%

For me, not worth... Very common, I prefer to pay a Lokal! Mad bro, even more than here in Curvelo staff was faking Skol and Brahma, changing the label of Lokal!!! (163 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -4.9%

The look of the beer is a yellow light golden beer.
The smell remind me of the Heineken.
The carbonation is really nice. The taste if a corny rice. The taste remind me of the Heineken and I didn t really enjoy it. But Stella Artois does a better job. It's nice and refreshing .
So overall would I recommend it ? Its a small yes. If you are at the bar and the price is the same as a Budweiser or Coors Light or bud light.. take the Stella Artois. But here in Quebec Canada the price for a 24 packs when its on special is 29,99 $ you can still go for it but if it isn t on special the price is around 34,99$ and for that price you can go for a 24 pack of Budweiser. So for me it's a small recommendation. But if you are in Europe go for it. (741 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Light, transparent yellow with tall white head and prominent lacing.

Mild grainy nose with moderate skunky thiol.

Taste is clean grain, low bitterness and low hops and crisp dry finish.

Medium light body with high carbonation.

Pretty typical premium American lager with some skunkiness. (292 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance - Pours almost a finger of bright white head which dissipates quickly. Body i a completely transparent light yellow, small carb rises in the center.

Smell - Light yeast, white bread crust, light malt, slight dried grass, light minerals.

Taste - A carbon copy of the nose, what I would cal a typical macro lager flavor overall, finishes slightly dry with a little white pepper.

Mouthfeel - Very light mouthfeel, watery, medium carb is very crisp, finish is very clean and slightly dry.

Overall - This is a bit cleaner and dryer than many of your macro lagers, but nothing that I would ever seek out. I'll give it al 2.75's, and a 2.5 for appearance. (664 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured into an IPA glass.

Look: Clear golden body. Film of white foam after head recession. A few spots of lacing.

Aroma: Lots of skunk. Some roasted corn.

Taste: Very bright and sour to start. Subdued skunk. Toasted grains, I guess. Not a lot of real beer flavors here.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, dry.

Overall: Ridiculously overpriced. I bought one bottle to review. This beer is a skunk bomb. (399 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -10.4%

RE-REVIEW
After not having this beer for around a year, I found a great deal on a 24-pack and decided to pull the trigger.

A- Clear, Bright Golden hue. 0 head and minimal-to-no lacing. Typical of an Adjunct-type Lager.

S- Very grainy and bread-like. Not much else. Nothing in the way of aromatic hops or anything else that would make the beer smell appetizing.

T- Similar to the aroma, the taste is extremely grainy. Something in this beer reminds me (strangely enough) of freshly baked biscuits. Slight hopping on the edges. Not overly interesting but decent enough to be drunk, I suppose.

M- Medium-High Carbonation. Appropriate carbonation for the style. Thin body.

O- Reason for my re-review? Whether my palate has developed (likely) or this is a bad batch (unlikely), Stella Artois is not as good as I remember it being. Its a bland, extremely simple Adjunct Lager that I would parallel to Budweiser (yeah I know). If you find some for a great price, It's definitely worth a try but it isn't worth much more than that. (1,035 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I guess I don't get it, it's a 'classy' and 'premium' lager apparently. Let's quite with the pretentious air of superiority here; this is an overseas AAL with a shiny wrapper. It's like taking a Bud or Bud Light, adding 2-3 dollars to the price tag, and wrapping it in shiny foil. This does not make for a good beer, just an over priced one. Get rid of the green bottles too, which we all know is not the best glass color choice when it comes to beer.

As far as taste goes, it tastes like an AAL that had a hint of salt through into it.

Would not revisit. (557 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

appearance is no better than say Budweiser. perhaps even worse.
That aside, this beer smells fantastic, such a surprised. The taste is at first a reflection of the smell then immediately dies down to something far less impressionable. Undoubtedly does that kill a point or so in the taste score. With a beer of this piss yellow hue of course it will be a tad watery. And so the mouthfeel lost a point or so. Overall since this beer has some perks, I say give it three stars. Try it at least once. Its okay. (506 characters)

Stella Artois from Stella Artois