Shenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer - Shenandoah Brewing Co.

Shenandoah Chocolate Donut BeerShenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer

good

Shenandoah Brewing Co. visit their website
Virginia, United States

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 07-09-2005)
Reviews by TheViolator666:
3.18/5  rDev -9.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Dark brown but less than opaque in color. Decent two finger light brown head that leaves minimal lacing.

S: Smell has a slight presence of roasted malt and a ton of sugar sweetness. Undesirable and bizarre "bubblegum" esters as well.

T: Tastes indeed like the chocolate shell of a white cake chocolate donut, however that bubblegum flavor also pulls through. Very sweet chocolate and a slight roasted maltiness, no hop presence. Alcohol is present in the aftertaste.

M/D: Had an average body and a fair amount of carbonation.

Very artificial. This is a very cool concept for a beer, but I feel could be done better.

3.38/5  rDev -3.4%

Dark brown with a beige head and decent retention. Chocolate, ashy, and roasty aroma. Taste was a little metallic, had some chocolate and bready notes, somewhat similar to chocolate glazing. High carbonation and light body. Decent beer, but I couldn't have too much of it.

3.85/5  rDev +10%

Thanks to billab914 for this!

Pours a cola-like dark brown with a foamy two-finger head.

Smells like Dunkin Donuts. It's really amazing! Picking up notes of brown sugar, chocolate cake.

Tastes like a chocolate frosted donut. I don't know hwo the hell Shenandoah does this! Fudgy and chocolate syrup qualities are also present. Extremely sweet and sugary. The sugar reminds me of eating sprinkles.

This has nice carbonation, maybe a little too fizzy, with pretty good drinkability considering the sweetness that this beer exudes. I don't love it, I surely don't hate it and I'm certainly glad I have another bottle of it!

1.88/5  rDev -46.3%

The very concept of this beer rules. "Chocolate donuts" + "stout". Should equal "decandent & delicious". I love chocolate donuts, although I don't eat them often because I love them so much. This one comes with some built-in high expectations...I hope it delivers.

A gentle pour surprisingly results in way too much foam...several fingers thick, it takes a long time before I'm able to pour the rest of the beer. A second extremeeeley slow pour offers a soapy off-white head and a super-dark chocolately black color. Thick walls of lace are formed as the head slowly drops off. Looks really nice.

Aroma reminds of some sub-par U.S. stouts I've had. But worse. It's metallic, very much reminding of copper...wet pennies, actually. Very mineral. Despite trying, I find nothing redeemable in the aroma. I pray to the beer gods that there's a decent beer in here somewhere...

Eegads...this stout is awful. The metallic aroma carries over into the flavor. I feel like I have a mouthfeel of thin, cold, liquid steel. It's highly mineral, with hardly a trace of chocolate, sugar glaze or fried dough to be found. The metallic taste gives way to a more plastic flavor as it warms. There's also a very fake, artificial sweetness here. Also kind of sour, reminding of an infected homebrew batch. Some alcohol peeks through, but without anything substantial to back it up, it's bothersome.

Mouthfeel? Who cares? At this point nothing can save this stout, and it's a little too fluffy, too carbonated, so...whatever.

This gives a bad name to our friend, the chocolate donut. Shame on Shenandoah. And who is this Dr. Dremo? I don't see his name anywhere on the label. Perhaps he's too embarrassed to claim responsibility. Seriously, this is awful stuff. Avoid.

[Somehow I missed seeing this in my area, so my pal and fellow BA msubulldog25 sent a bottle from Oregon. From VA, to OR, and back to VA. Whatever works...thanks, Brian, for the chance to try it out.]

4.08/5  rDev +16.6%

12oz single, shipped by the prince of darkness "blackie". this is my 2nd trial as i had this on tap years ago in Arlington VA en route to dogfish head

appearance: pours into an imperial pint glass, nice chocolate brown body with a messy foam chocolate head and foamy retention (not my favorite stout head-style, but whatev)

smell: um yeah, chocolate donut...the aromas have hints of artificial flavoring but that may just be the way the donut hits the nose, milky and smooth, cocoa malts

taste: reminds me of a flaky chocolate donut with a light vanilla glaze (one of my favs), creamy and milky vanilla, buttery, cola-esque...novelty or not, this beer still wins

mouthfeel: creamy, cola carbonation

drinkability: high

2.8/5  rDev -20%

Thanks to Bmanning for hooking me up with a couple of bottles.

A: Very dark brown/deep mahogany. Tan head with tightly packed bubbles on top. Good head retention sitting at amount a quarter of an inch thick but no lacing at all.

S: It certainly smells like a chocolate donut. In fact it reminds me of those glazed entenmanns donuts. It is sugar sweet and reminds me a bit of cake batter and vanilla glaze.

T: Again some of that cakiness comes through. Vanilla frosting/ glazed sugar and a bread. There is an off flavor sort of metallic tasting or almost like tuna fish which was strange.

M: Slightly rough around the edges and a bit light in body.

D: Atleast this beer is what it says it is. Dont come in exprecting a ton of roastiness because its not there. It is a fun concept and does have its moments, but ultimately falls flat.

1.65/5  rDev -52.9%

12oz bottle via trade.

Pours dark brown with a small off-white head. Fades very quickly and looks a little strange. Chunks floating in the beer.

Aroma is very metallic and a little tart. Chocolate in the background. Infection is evident.

Flavor is Entenmann's chocolate donuts and sour infection. Not good.

Palate is wrecked from the likely infection. Medium-bodied and sour with a lasting bad finish.

Not good. No-hesitation drain pour for this one. Real bummer because I wanted to try this novelty beer in its intended state.

4.53/5  rDev +29.4%

pours a fairly thin root beer color, clear liquid but opaque dark brown in the glass. Definitely a smell of cocoa powder in there. Tastes mildly roasty initially but there is a sweet chocolate there to compliment and creates a nice flavor but doesn't overpower. This is a really easy drinking stout with a fairly moderate chocolate flavor. I could drink this all the time.

4.03/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a snifter the liquid is plenty darlk with mild carbonation. The head is small, one pinky, tan and leave no lace.

The smell is fain but gets better as it warms. Chocolate sweetness is the main aroma, a very sweet chocolate with sugar, as advertised.

The taste is good, not real great but good and certainly as advertised. As is warms the chocolate comes out with a nice sweetness not cloying. some fruity, doughy and yeasty notes come through as well.

The mouthfeel is not real great, the body seems light and the carbonation is prickly, kinda like a cream soda.

The drinkability is ok with some tweaking this could d be a winner.

Prosit, MK

3.68/5  rDev +5.1%

12oz bottle from GREGER aka Greg. Thanks for everything once again! Review from notes.

A- Pours a lighter dark brown color. When held up to the light reddish hues appear on the sides of the beer. One and a half finger mocha head stays for a little while before going down. Lighter lacing sticks to the sides of the glass.

S- Like a lot of people said already it does indeed smell like a chocolate donut. Roasted malts along with a light bitter hop hint is also in the nose of this beer. The sugary sweetness does tend to knock down all the other smells going on.

T- There is a light oxidated taste. Very light and doesn't distract from the rest of the beer. Light roasted malts in here get taken over by a sweet chocolate with some vanilla hints here and there. There is alomst a strange doughy taste in the tail end of this beer that makes me want to take another sip right away to pin down the flavor.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is very nice for the beer. A lot of chocolate flavors left on the tongue and also in the aftertaste along with light doughy hints. Sweet on the palate but not sickly so.

D- This was a fun and interesting beer to try out. Thanks again to Greg for this beer. I will have to track this one down again to share with friends. If you find it I would suggest trying it. Love it or hate it it is a interesting beer to say the least.

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

3.68/5  rDev +5.1%

Thanks to krisandajt for this 12 oz bottle, freshly bottled just a few days ago.

A: The stout is a dark brown, like a glass of cola only thicker. The result is an opaque ale. A decent-sized head of nearly two fingers threatened to overflow my glass but ultimately didn't.

S: The nose is very interesting. Chocolate is evident, as is a sugary aroma that I can best describe as 'glazed'. Damn near a donut. just like I had for breakfast earlier today.

T: Chocolate is decadent, strong from the first sip. Sugary glaze and dough conspire with the chocolate like a liquified chocolate munchkin. I'm floored. The doughy aftertaste has hints4 of sugar and chocolate. A very impressive flavor to coax out of an ale.

M: Mmmm, doughnuts.

D: I'm not sure that I would call this a sessionable ale. It's far too sweet and sugary to be enjoyed to excess. I shared mine with ksak and we were both really impressed with the flavor though.

3.43/5  rDev -2%

I got a sixer of these bad boys from my donut connect in DC. I had a few of these months ago that were way oxidized so I had high hopes for this "freshly bottled" batch. Until you look at the half assed capping job on these, really? Well better start poppin these fast...

Dark brown and opaque, but the head and lacing are minimal. I realy have to agitate this one to get anything heady out of it, but what does appear is very light taupe. The nose is odd but I expect that from a beer claiming to taste like chocolate donuts. I get a little bit of Nestle Quik chocolate powder, lactose, and general sweetness.

The taste is something to ponder. I get oxidization, but not at all as prominent as previous batches. The taste is loosely reminiscent of confectioners sugar and milk chocolate cake, very milk chocolate, and I am going to have to agree with dan-o here that there is some Whopper candy action getting down here. Thankfully the sweetness actually is a bit restrained and not clingy.

I do enjoy this beer....especially when sharing. I could drink one alone and be done with it or split one happily for breakfast. Or tailgating with BeerTruth at a Bills game :-)

1.58/5  rDev -54.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle: Poured a dirty deep brown cloudy ale with a super large bubbly head with average retention. Aroma of sour chocolate malt is quite disgusting. Taste is also a disgusting mix between some unrefined roasted malt with lingering sweetness. Body is quite thin with great carbonation which is probably due to the infection. Too bad this was so infected because I kind of was looking forward to the concept. Another one to add to the re-rate list I guess.

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a deep mahogany with a 4-finger, overflowing, frothy beige head. Lots of layered lacing.

The scent is like a chocolate donut--yeast, bread & chocolate. The taste is sweet chocolate malt with some artificial, bitter dark chocolate at the end. Mouthfeel is light to medium-bodied, carbonated.

This is a fairly drinkable beer but is a novelty first. I wish the chocolate flavor was not as artificial.

3.2/5  rDev -8.6%

Thanks to krisandajt for the opportunity to taste this brew!

A:Pours a muddy brown. In the glass it is a very deep brown, and there is loads of carbonation.. slowly sinking, but still a good finger or two of it. Looks mighty fine.

S: Roasted malt, chocolate, a little bite from the hops. And something else in there that is a little sweet. Not sure what it is, but I like to think it is a cake dough with sprinkles.

T: I get a tart taste right off the bat, maybe I need to ease into this one a bit.. The aftertaste is cake dough, and dried powdery sprinkles. What a weird weird beer this is. Aftertaste is definitely Chocolate Donut.

M: I feel like this one is over carbonated. Fairly easy going down.

D: One was enough, and I am glad I had the opportunity to try it. Maybe my taster is just off, but there is a tart sweetness to it that I am not fond of. However the aftertaste is exactly what is advertised.

3.9/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 oz from my trading partner SAS... He's been really wanting to try this.. combining three of his favorite pastimes.. Chocolate.. Donuts.. and of course beer. My half into my New Belgium Snifter.

1" head dies back quick with no lacing... color is more akin to a porter than a stout.

Aroma is truly a donut aroma.. reminds me of drunken nights when I used to live close to DK Donuts on State.. stopping in for a little late night sweetness to sop up my excess. Chocolate essence with vanilla... even butter... and deep-fried dough.. I am not making this up.

Flavor is pretty much the same ... but tastes more artificial.. the vanilla is much more pronounced. Chocolate and the toasty doughy notes are still very much in the forefront.. but the vanilla is a little too much... Milky chocolate essence with a sweetness that doesn't tie itself to "normal" sugars.. more of the maltiness. Sorta full bodied and thin at the same time... sweet but not thick. Not enough traditional "stout" flavors for me to be overly enthusiastic.

A fantastic novelty.. but I will probably only want this one again just so I can share it with local BA's.. and say.. "No Shit.. It tastes like a Chocolate Krispy Kreme!" I can see me getting a case of it, and sitting on it (refrigerated of course) and pulling it out for people who are interested and would appreciate it.

Steve went through the trouble of scoring this and all I can do is laugh.. laugh in a good way, because this brew makes me smile with every sip.. How the hell did they do it?

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

With much hype surrounding this one for a little while, I was very anxious to try it. First off, the concept just seemed to be interesting. Also of note was at the Atlanta Cask event I tried a chocolate donut stout that was by far the best thing I had there, and if this were even close, I would trade for case of it. Pulled it out of the fridge and poured it into an oversized wine glass. The pour was very full, with a huge tan head perhaps four inches high rising up over the top of it immediately. I was actually quite surprised by the first look of it to be honest. A deep dark black then took over from the color, which was essentially opaque. The head fell and left behind a thin layer of perhaps a quarter inch and some decent side glass look to it. There was an audible fizz to it, which showed it was carbonated, but scared me coming from a stout!

The smell was spot on for a krispy kreme chocolate donut. It was humorous actually that it smelled that much like it. Nevertheless, the bottle says no preservatives, which is great, however this thing reeked of artificial flavoring. Just the sugar cheap donut smell, you know what I mean. Not the rich chocolate malt you would expect. Noting much of note in the aroma, perhaps some light grain, but that was really about all there was. The flavor was way to light to call this a stout, in fact, it was on the light side for a porter to be honest. Just not a full bodied kind of beer I guess. The flavor was sugary but not terribly so, just very fake tasting, like it was a forced flavor. Some light dryness in the finish, and a huge carbonation profile here. Tons of carbonation, which probably lended it to feeling even lighter. One thing of note was a good stout would get better as it warmed, but this did not seem to. The carbonation died down, but the flavors did as well, and when it at about room temperature it lost a lot of that artificial flavor and what was left a light roasted malt that really was nothing too terribly special. It was fairly drinkable though as all the flavors were light and it had virtually no alcohol in it.

Overall, it was a bit of a let down I have to be honest. Just too light and artificial for me. Not a bad novelty, and my mother-in-law love's this one if that counts for anything, but unfortunately, I will have to pass on it. Better luck next time.

Black but not opaque in color as light gets through. Huge 4 finger head with a conservative pour. Lot's of carbonation. Audible bubbles. Head finally recedes and holds at 1/2" until the glass is empty. Lacing is good but not as impressive as the head.
I really didn't think this beer would smell like a chocolate donut. But, by golly, that's exactly what it smells like. I like the aroma a lot and I don't even like chocolate donuts.
Very interesting flavor for a beer while still keeping the cornerstone of it's character as a beer. I think it taste more like Cocoa Puffs or chocolate cake than a chocolate donut. It's certainly the artificial chocolate flavoring that's common in all three. But it works here. It's different, interesting, and yummy.
Mouthfeel is a little too carbonated and light but I still enjoyed the beer in-spite of those tow minor complaints.
Not a session beer, nor necessarily a sipper, but a beer I'd love to visit again and again from time to time.

3.93/5  rDev +12.3%

a: Dark brown in color, with a low head that leaves little behind.

s: Initial impression is chocolate donut. I don't get the sick, overly artificial aroma of which others complain. Pleasant aromas of chocolate icing and cake donut.

m: low-medium carbonation, body on the full side of medium

t: Tasty, cakey donut coated in milky, sweet chocolate icing. Hops absent, finishes well with flavors of chocolate cake. Very well executed.

d: an interesting beer, better than the reviews show...just not something to session

First tried a few years ago at Dremo's and really liked it...my wider range of experience has dulled the excitement a bit, but it's still good. Was told that first time the beer is brewed with real Krispy Kreme choclate icing, and it shows. Six pack from the brewery.

3.38/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance: Black with brown highlights and a khaki head - pretty standard stuff here. Head retention is fair.

Smell: I guess it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise, but this does actually smell like a chocolate donut. It's got that sickly sweet, highly processed chocolate aroma you'd expect to smell upon walking into a donut shop. It's appetizing for a split second, but becomes cloying in time.

Taste & mouthfeel: I was expecting this to be cloying and gross based on the aroma, but it's actually got a semblance of balance. Flavors of chocolate, vanilla and sugary dough are still rampant, but it's got a pleasing dryness in the backbone and a surprising coffee kick in the finish.

Drinkability: Fun to try once but I can't see myself seeking this out again.

Notes: Gimmicky? Yes, absolutely, but to my surprise it's really not bad.

2.73/5  rDev -22%

First off, this has to be just a novelty beer. No where in the nose or the smell does it resemble a chocolate donut. Pours a translucent brown in color. Smell is slight chocolate, but there's another scent that is interfering with it. Can't quite figure out what it is. Taste is thin, watery and again, not decadent chocolate. The only thing chocolate donut about this offering is its name.
Close to a drainpour. Hoping that I had a bad bottle, but nothing tasted "infected".

3.43/5  rDev -2%

Appearance: Deep dark brown with a nice 2 finger tan head. Generous lacing.

Smell: Bready, sweet, roasted malts. Chocolate is present but I was expecting more.

Taste: There's the chocolate and again with the bread notes. Very sweet. I wouldn't think of chocolate donuts when drinking this if I was blinded though.

Drinkability: One is enough for me due to the sweetness. Nice novelty though.

3.85/5  rDev +10%

Acquired from dsigmon courtesy of the Ugly Duckling BIF, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a large light brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is loaded with creamy chocolate and roasted malts along with a touch of hops.

T: The taste is malty, bready and full of chocolate as the name implies. There's a mild hops presence that provides a little balance, but the chocolate and malt dominate and are done well. There after-taste is sweet.

M: Smooth with a little crispness, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, a little filling, decent kick, good representation of style, this is a very good stout that I could drink a couple of if I were in the mood for the style, but after that the heaviness might slow me down.

2.88/5  rDev -17.7%

Bottle courtesy of bmanning in a recent "not my favorite beer" trade.

Poured a very dark brown with a fairly-nice off-white head and a bit of lacing. The smell was of moderately-dark chocolate as well as a little bit of cream and some roasted malt. The taste was quite similar, although there was some sort of off-tasting astringent bitterness that I couldn't quite identify. This affected the mouthfeel, which was otherwise nice and creamy. Drinkability was on the low side. Definitely a beer worth trying--very interesting.

Shenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer from Shenandoah Brewing Co.