Shenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer - Shenandoah Brewing Co.

Shenandoah Chocolate Donut BeerShenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer

good

Shenandoah Brewing Co. visit their website
Virginia, United States

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 07-09-2005)
4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

3.5/5  rDev 0%

Dark brown that is fairly opaque with a finger of light tan head.
How the heck did they do this, the aroma instantly smells exactly like a chocolate donut, bready dough with sweet chocolate frosting. Same thing with the flavors, i have rarely had something match so closely what it wants or claims to be. The flavors have a bit of hops in there that distract a bit, but other then that i can't say to much other then chocolate donut is whats in this bottle.

An Average beer, i could give it points for being exactly what the labels says, but i can't, very interesting, but a one time and done beer.

3.68/5  rDev +5.1%

I've been wanting to try this one for a while, and one of my friends who knew this fact gave one of these to me at a Christmas party at my house that my wife hosted. Lucky me!

A couple of things have changed about this beer here recently: a) The ABV has been lowered to 6.5%. b) The bottle art has been completely revamped and now has a big pic of a half bitten chocolate donut and big cheesy "As Seen On TV" emblem on it.

A: Poured a dark brown color, mildly cloudy (from what I can tell) and about a two finger head that quickly melted away into a mere flimsy froth.

S: I don't know how they did it, but the title of the brew is no gimmick, it's the real deal! I'm not just saying this thing has some chocolate notes in it, I'm saying it literally has the smell of freshly baked dough with chocolate frosting.

T: The taste was a little more suspect. It's funny that it really tasted like root beer, through and through! The sweetness was tempered and seemed a bit fake.... sort of like Nutri-sweet. The doughy quality I got on the nose was present as well in sort of a "sour dough-like" way, which wasn't entirely unpleasant.

M: A bit on the thin side, and when I looked at the brew about half way through my session, I noticed that it looked almost completely flat, which indicated to me that there were some carbonation problems. To my taste though, there are times when I find mildly flat soda to be a guilty pleasure.

D: I never know what to expect out of Shenandoah Brewing Co. Heck, the brewery is right down the street from my home and few selections I've had on tap from them in the past have ranged from barely passable to pretty good. I'd try this one again for the novelty alone, if for no other reason.

Poured a very dark brown with reddish brown highlights that had a half finger of head and left some bubbly lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma definitely reminded me of a donut with chocolate cream notes popping out first with fruit, jelly, and slight toasty notes. It didi have a little bready character as well. The taste was also right on with donut like qualities but in beer form. Off the bat the fruity jelly flavors are dominate alogside chocolate cream and sweet sugar accents; really intresting beer. The brew was medium in body with a fair amount of carbonation which had a sweet, suagry, slight toasty, and silky finish. It drank pretty good but was quite sweet and made it a little hard to drink. Other than that it was a very intresting beer but could probably only stomach about 6 oz at a time.

Huge thanks goes to bilab914 for this beer. Just one of many that he sent in a surprise unsolicited box. Thanks Bill you are an outstanding BA. Straight from the box into my pint glass.

A: Dark brown hue with blood red edges when held to the light. Solid two fingers of light tan head. Not much lace but a nice cap.

S: The aroma is full on sweet chocolate glaze. This smells just like a chocolate frosted chocolate donut. I reall y can't pick out anything else. Smells great.

T: The flavor is not as sweet as the nose. More dark chocolate, roast malt and coffee with solid dose of bitterness. Reminds me a lot of a brown ale.

M: Medium to light body. Maybe a touch thin. Soft carbonation.

D: Overall a absolute pleasure to try. Easy drinking for sure.

1.05/5  rDev -70%

Thanks to a fine BA for sending a bottle of this my way, always up for a good stout & well, always up for chocolate. Meld the two & I'm a happy guy.

Pours...oh, oh. Foam splatters & rises like a vengeful god, & I can barely trickle half the bottle before I have to give it a rest. Hopefully just over-carbonated? Probably not. The nose is...bad. Bad. Not right bad.

This beer is obviously infected. It tastes like a chocolate donut that's been smeared with bad mayo & left in the sun for a while. Absolutely, totally, completely god-awful. I'd like to try this beer in its real state, but the Godzilla of infections has rendered this the worst beer I have ever had. One sip. Now I'm going to go search out some steel wool to scrub my tongue. Too bad. I was looking forward to this one.

3.9/5  rDev +11.4%

A: Pours a nice dark brown, almost black but just a bit of light comes through.

S: Smells of chocolate, vanilla, caramel.

T: This is very sweet. Kind of reminds me of a glazed chocolate donut. Lots of chocolate, caramel, vanilla, bread.

M: Just a bit thin for a stout with just enough carbonation.

D: While this did taste good and has low ABV, this is more of a dessert beer. A nice bottle to have after a meal but not something to have several bottles of in one sitting.

1.65/5  rDev -52.9%

12oz bottle via trade.

Pours dark brown with a small off-white head. Fades very quickly and looks a little strange. Chunks floating in the beer.

Aroma is very metallic and a little tart. Chocolate in the background. Infection is evident.

Flavor is Entenmann's chocolate donuts and sour infection. Not good.

Palate is wrecked from the likely infection. Medium-bodied and sour with a lasting bad finish.

Not good. No-hesitation drain pour for this one. Real bummer because I wanted to try this novelty beer in its intended state.

3.1/5  rDev -11.4%

12 oz. bottle received in a trade with 321jeff. Poured into a mini snifter as I was tasting this with my girlfriend (who brought my attention to this beer after seeing a spotlight on it on the Food Network).

A - Black as can be expected. Head recedes to a slightly off-white boundary where glass meets beer. Pretty common for a stout.

S - Very sweet. Chocolate is the main component with a slight vanilla undertone. Malty and slight caramel aromas also reach out to entice my already intrigued senses.

T - Well the chocolate portion certainly delivers. However I am quite disappointed with a lack of any "donut" taste at all. Chocolate is the main star with vanilla and caramel in the back palate. I am assuming that the vanilla undertones is supposed to relay the idea of "donut" to the taster. Honestly, this reminds me of a lighter version of Southern Tier;s Choklat.

M - Very smooth with a slight carbonation feel towards the end. Smooth and creamy for the most part.

D - I have no idea what the ABV is on this beer, but if I was in the mood for a dessert beer or some type of sweet beer to accompany a meal, this would be a good grab.

4.33/5  rDev +23.7%

Served in a shaker pint glass.

Pours a nearly completely opaque black-brown with a finger-and-a-half of ecru foamy head that leaves a bit of sudsy lacing behind. The nose follows its name: chocolate is the primary smell, along with some molasses and vanilla. As for the taste, I don't think I've ever had a beer that so lived up to its title before. Basically, this brew drinks like liquified double-chocolate donuts, with not only a milk chocolate character, but also a bit of cocoa as well, with brown sugar, molasses, vanilla extract, and a subtle bit of roasted coffee. Very tasty, to say the least. The body is on the heavier side of medium, with light carbonation and a nice chewy feel. Overall, a tasty dessert brew (kinda literally) with a very high drinkability, though those who stand against sweetness in their beers would definitely be turned off.

1.35/5  rDev -61.4%

12 oz bottle, poured into a Duvel tulip.

Looks pretty good, cloudy deep brown with red highlights and a nice cap of frothy light tan foam. Nice retention and lacing. Sadly, the pleasant part of the experience ends here.

Smells exceedingly, shockingly sweet and tastes even moreso. I don't detect any donut, but there's plenty of chocolate- Yoohoo, Hershey's sauce, melted chocolate chips. A weird artificial flavor. Hints of dark fruit and maybe a hint of roasted malt, but this beer is overwhelmingly sweet. Did any of the sugar actually get fermented here? Sickly sweet (and slightly sour) chocolate lingers and lingers. Any time you have to grab an emergency bag of Cheetos for some saltiness to counteract all the sweetness in a beer, that's not a good thing.

Overall impression: I felt like I needed to go to the dentist after this. Sugar bomb beers are not for me. Drain pour.

3.43/5  rDev -2%

Appearance: Deep dark brown with a nice 2 finger tan head. Generous lacing.

Smell: Bready, sweet, roasted malts. Chocolate is present but I was expecting more.

Taste: There's the chocolate and again with the bread notes. Very sweet. I wouldn't think of chocolate donuts when drinking this if I was blinded though.

Drinkability: One is enough for me due to the sweetness. Nice novelty though.

2.88/5  rDev -17.7%

Bottle courtesy of bmanning in a recent "not my favorite beer" trade.

Poured a very dark brown with a fairly-nice off-white head and a bit of lacing. The smell was of moderately-dark chocolate as well as a little bit of cream and some roasted malt. The taste was quite similar, although there was some sort of off-tasting astringent bitterness that I couldn't quite identify. This affected the mouthfeel, which was otherwise nice and creamy. Drinkability was on the low side. Definitely a beer worth trying--very interesting.

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a deep mahogany with a 4-finger, overflowing, frothy beige head. Lots of layered lacing.

The scent is like a chocolate donut--yeast, bread & chocolate. The taste is sweet chocolate malt with some artificial, bitter dark chocolate at the end. Mouthfeel is light to medium-bodied, carbonated.

This is a fairly drinkable beer but is a novelty first. I wish the chocolate flavor was not as artificial.

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

A: The pour is dark brown in color with an off-white head with excellent retention.

S: A very sweet, almost artificial, chocolate frosting aroma. There is also a bit of fruit-like sweetness that would seem to be "jelly", if we're thinking in terms of donuts.

T: The beer is a bit sweeter than even I was expecting. Once again, that artificial chocolate character is there, along with some cream, perhaps.

M: The body is on the lighter end of medium with fairly lively carbonation.

D: It's definitely a novelty beer, but it's actually not too bad. I found it enjoyable, especially for what it is. The only reason I couldn't see myself drinking much of it is the high level of sweetness.

1.58/5  rDev -54.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle: Poured a dirty deep brown cloudy ale with a super large bubbly head with average retention. Aroma of sour chocolate malt is quite disgusting. Taste is also a disgusting mix between some unrefined roasted malt with lingering sweetness. Body is quite thin with great carbonation which is probably due to the infection. Too bad this was so infected because I kind of was looking forward to the concept. Another one to add to the re-rate list I guess.

3.68/5  rDev +5.1%

12oz bottle from GREGER aka Greg. Thanks for everything once again! Review from notes.

A- Pours a lighter dark brown color. When held up to the light reddish hues appear on the sides of the beer. One and a half finger mocha head stays for a little while before going down. Lighter lacing sticks to the sides of the glass.

S- Like a lot of people said already it does indeed smell like a chocolate donut. Roasted malts along with a light bitter hop hint is also in the nose of this beer. The sugary sweetness does tend to knock down all the other smells going on.

T- There is a light oxidated taste. Very light and doesn't distract from the rest of the beer. Light roasted malts in here get taken over by a sweet chocolate with some vanilla hints here and there. There is alomst a strange doughy taste in the tail end of this beer that makes me want to take another sip right away to pin down the flavor.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is very nice for the beer. A lot of chocolate flavors left on the tongue and also in the aftertaste along with light doughy hints. Sweet on the palate but not sickly so.

D- This was a fun and interesting beer to try out. Thanks again to Greg for this beer. I will have to track this one down again to share with friends. If you find it I would suggest trying it. Love it or hate it it is a interesting beer to say the least.

2.2/5  rDev -37.1%

Got 2 bottles of this a month or so ago from krisandajt. Thank you sir! Chocolate donut stout...hmm, now that sounds intriguing.

Pours a semi-dark brown with reddish hues at the edges. Head is two inches of fizzy tan foam. Keeps a thin lace and leaves a splash here and there on the sides.

Smell is initially of sour cherries and vinegar...I had to do a double take, but yes, that's what it is. Chocolate donut? Where? I do get a bit of chocolate and some roasted malt behind the sour, but this is not an appealing nose at all.

Taste also has a touch of sourness but not a vinegar quality like the nose. There is more chocolate flavor here, or more like cocoa powder I'd say, but still not a ton. A bit of coffee too. Sour cherries again seem way out of place, but there is some redeeming value in the modest cocoa flavor. Not much, but some. Some earthy hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel is pretty light bodied and very spritzy, with very active carbonation. An alka seltzer like feel. Fail.

This is my second bottle of this and the first was not very good either, although this one is worse. Therefore I'm being a little bit more generous than I'd be if I were judging on only this one bottle. Joe gave me these about a month ago and I didn't get the sense he had bought them long ago, although there is no best by date on the bottles. Still, I can't imagine these are very old. Actually the sour cherry flavor isn't all that bad, but it still seems way out of place and in the smell it's horrible. Just not a very good beer, and certainly no chocolate donut. I wish I had one to cleanse my palate, in fact.

2.8/5  rDev -20%

Thanks to Bmanning for hooking me up with a couple of bottles.

A: Very dark brown/deep mahogany. Tan head with tightly packed bubbles on top. Good head retention sitting at amount a quarter of an inch thick but no lacing at all.

S: It certainly smells like a chocolate donut. In fact it reminds me of those glazed entenmanns donuts. It is sugar sweet and reminds me a bit of cake batter and vanilla glaze.

T: Again some of that cakiness comes through. Vanilla frosting/ glazed sugar and a bread. There is an off flavor sort of metallic tasting or almost like tuna fish which was strange.

M: Slightly rough around the edges and a bit light in body.

D: Atleast this beer is what it says it is. Dont come in exprecting a ton of roastiness because its not there. It is a fun concept and does have its moments, but ultimately falls flat.

3.2/5  rDev -8.6%

Thanks to krisandajt for the opportunity to taste this brew!

A:Pours a muddy brown. In the glass it is a very deep brown, and there is loads of carbonation.. slowly sinking, but still a good finger or two of it. Looks mighty fine.

S: Roasted malt, chocolate, a little bite from the hops. And something else in there that is a little sweet. Not sure what it is, but I like to think it is a cake dough with sprinkles.

T: I get a tart taste right off the bat, maybe I need to ease into this one a bit.. The aftertaste is cake dough, and dried powdery sprinkles. What a weird weird beer this is. Aftertaste is definitely Chocolate Donut.

M: I feel like this one is over carbonated. Fairly easy going down.

D: One was enough, and I am glad I had the opportunity to try it. Maybe my taster is just off, but there is a tart sweetness to it that I am not fond of. However the aftertaste is exactly what is advertised.

4.3/5  rDev +22.9%

12oz bottle received in trade with bmanning. Thanks Ben...been dying to try this one for a while. Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a dark brown with a thin, soda-like head that disappears almost immediately. Mostly opaque, but nice brown highlights around the edges when held to a light. Only a thin collar with no lacing after the initial head dies down.

S - Hmm, chocolately, in an unusual way for a beer. Don't think I would identify it as donuts by itself, but the power of suggestion is telling me - chocolate donuts. Maybe a touch of sweet caramel underneath the chocolate...maybe smells more like a candy bar of some kind - not sure which one - my first thought is Rolos, but I wouldn't put my life on it. Definitely a caramelly, slightly vanilla (maybe) creamy sensation to it. Interesting...definitely different, but good.

T - Taste in unique...definitely follows the aroma. I'm still thinking it is a candy bar taste for sure. Getting milk chocolate, vanilla, caramel...thinking maybe it is a Sky Bar (for all of you New Englanders out there - those not in the know - had caramel, vanilla, and chocolate filled sections). Very interesting - strangely complex and enjoyable.

M - Has a fairly full mouthfeel. Not quite syrupy, but full, thick and a bit chewy...melted caramel. Carbonation is on the low side and contributes to the smooth and creamy sensation.

D - Drinkability on this is quite good for me...for dessert. This stands well on its own as a dessert, at least for me. I was warned that this beer is a little bit "weird", but I'm really liking this. It is definitely unique - never had another beer like this, but very enjoyable. Glad I got a chance to try this. Might have to find some more.

Shenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer from Shenandoah Brewing Co.