1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer - Shenandoah Brewing Co.

Shenandoah Chocolate Donut BeerShenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer

good

Shenandoah Brewing Co. visit their website
Virginia, United States

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 07-09-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 79 | Reviews: 74 | Show All Ratings:
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.08/5  rDev +16.6%

Chocolate fudge with a healthy infusion of ruby and a large, creamy head of graham cracker brown. Dr. Dremo (actually, my bottle is labeled simply 'Chocolate Donut Stout') commits the cardinal sin of not making his stout opaque. I hope that doesn't come back to haunt him on the palate. The cap displays great persistence and I'm still waiting to see if any lace is coming my way. Unfortunately, the glass is nearly clean when the head finally disappears.

I'll be hanged. This beer smells exactly like what I would imagine a liquified chocolate donut would smell like. It's sweet and fudge-like with an impressive vanilla bean quality that I'm guessing is what makes it smell like pastry. Well done I say! If you're going to brew a chocolate donut beer, then dammit, make it smell like a chocolate donut.

Even though the flavor isn't quite as impressive, it's a near thing. Before taking a drink, I expected a hugely malty, explosively chocolatey, hypersweet, thick-bodied beer. I didn't quite get it, but it's close enough to ward off disappointment. More chocolate malt would undoubtedly help. I have no complaints about the sweetness. Maybe the brewers added confectioner's sugar?

Vanilla is still rampant and is almost as strong as chocolate. There aren't a whole lot of accessory flavors, but then a chocolate donut is a fairly simple foodstuff and I'm sure the brewers jettisoned anything that didn't lead to a 'hey, that tastes like a donut' flavor. The almost cloying sweetness would keep me from drinking more than one bottle per sitting, but it's a tasty treat when consumed 12 ounces at a time.

As suspected when I saw light on the opposite side of the glass, the body is less than full and chewy. Thanks to all the sugar, though, it still manages to be sticky, silky and slick. I won't let my dreams of oozingly luscious creaminess get in the way of rewarding the mouthfeel as it so richly deserves. Very few bubbles find their way to my tongue, but then who ever heard of a carbonated donut?

Chocolate Donut Stout (aka Dr. Dremo's Chocolate Donut Beer) is one of those 'what the hell' experiments that actually works. It's a shame that more people haven't been able to taste what those wacky brewers at Shenandoah have created. Would it be too much to ask for a cheese danish beer next?

08-05-2006 20:40:05 | More by BuckeyeNation
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

With much hype surrounding this one for a little while, I was very anxious to try it. First off, the concept just seemed to be interesting. Also of note was at the Atlanta Cask event I tried a chocolate donut stout that was by far the best thing I had there, and if this were even close, I would trade for case of it. Pulled it out of the fridge and poured it into an oversized wine glass. The pour was very full, with a huge tan head perhaps four inches high rising up over the top of it immediately. I was actually quite surprised by the first look of it to be honest. A deep dark black then took over from the color, which was essentially opaque. The head fell and left behind a thin layer of perhaps a quarter inch and some decent side glass look to it. There was an audible fizz to it, which showed it was carbonated, but scared me coming from a stout!

The smell was spot on for a krispy kreme chocolate donut. It was humorous actually that it smelled that much like it. Nevertheless, the bottle says no preservatives, which is great, however this thing reeked of artificial flavoring. Just the sugar cheap donut smell, you know what I mean. Not the rich chocolate malt you would expect. Noting much of note in the aroma, perhaps some light grain, but that was really about all there was. The flavor was way to light to call this a stout, in fact, it was on the light side for a porter to be honest. Just not a full bodied kind of beer I guess. The flavor was sugary but not terribly so, just very fake tasting, like it was a forced flavor. Some light dryness in the finish, and a huge carbonation profile here. Tons of carbonation, which probably lended it to feeling even lighter. One thing of note was a good stout would get better as it warmed, but this did not seem to. The carbonation died down, but the flavors did as well, and when it at about room temperature it lost a lot of that artificial flavor and what was left a light roasted malt that really was nothing too terribly special. It was fairly drinkable though as all the flavors were light and it had virtually no alcohol in it.

Overall, it was a bit of a let down I have to be honest. Just too light and artificial for me. Not a bad novelty, and my mother-in-law love's this one if that counts for anything, but unfortunately, I will have to pass on it. Better luck next time.

03-15-2008 16:50:58 | More by mikesgroove
womencantsail

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

A: The pour is dark brown in color with an off-white head with excellent retention.

S: A very sweet, almost artificial, chocolate frosting aroma. There is also a bit of fruit-like sweetness that would seem to be "jelly", if we're thinking in terms of donuts.

T: The beer is a bit sweeter than even I was expecting. Once again, that artificial chocolate character is there, along with some cream, perhaps.

M: The body is on the lighter end of medium with fairly lively carbonation.

D: It's definitely a novelty beer, but it's actually not too bad. I found it enjoyable, especially for what it is. The only reason I couldn't see myself drinking much of it is the high level of sweetness.

01-12-2010 09:20:23 | More by womencantsail
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

1.58/5  rDev -54.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle: Poured a dirty deep brown cloudy ale with a super large bubbly head with average retention. Aroma of sour chocolate malt is quite disgusting. Taste is also a disgusting mix between some unrefined roasted malt with lingering sweetness. Body is quite thin with great carbonation which is probably due to the infection. Too bad this was so infected because I kind of was looking forward to the concept. Another one to add to the re-rate list I guess.

12-29-2009 03:54:24 | More by Phyl21ca
Thorpe429

2.88/5  rDev -17.7%

Bottle courtesy of bmanning in a recent "not my favorite beer" trade.

Poured a very dark brown with a fairly-nice off-white head and a bit of lacing. The smell was of moderately-dark chocolate as well as a little bit of cream and some roasted malt. The taste was quite similar, although there was some sort of off-tasting astringent bitterness that I couldn't quite identify. This affected the mouthfeel, which was otherwise nice and creamy. Drinkability was on the low side. Definitely a beer worth trying--very interesting.

01-23-2010 14:19:33 | More by Thorpe429
TMoney2591

4.33/5  rDev +23.7%

Served in a shaker pint glass.

Pours a nearly completely opaque black-brown with a finger-and-a-half of ecru foamy head that leaves a bit of sudsy lacing behind. The nose follows its name: chocolate is the primary smell, along with some molasses and vanilla. As for the taste, I don't think I've ever had a beer that so lived up to its title before. Basically, this brew drinks like liquified double-chocolate donuts, with not only a milk chocolate character, but also a bit of cocoa as well, with brown sugar, molasses, vanilla extract, and a subtle bit of roasted coffee. Very tasty, to say the least. The body is on the heavier side of medium, with light carbonation and a nice chewy feel. Overall, a tasty dessert brew (kinda literally) with a very high drinkability, though those who stand against sweetness in their beers would definitely be turned off.

Serving type: growler

03-12-2010 02:02:38 | More by TMoney2591
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.85/5  rDev +10%

Acquired from dsigmon courtesy of the Ugly Duckling BIF, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a large light brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is loaded with creamy chocolate and roasted malts along with a touch of hops.

T: The taste is malty, bready and full of chocolate as the name implies. There's a mild hops presence that provides a little balance, but the chocolate and malt dominate and are done well. There after-taste is sweet.

M: Smooth with a little crispness, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, a little filling, decent kick, good representation of style, this is a very good stout that I could drink a couple of if I were in the mood for the style, but after that the heaviness might slow me down.

07-17-2008 04:01:00 | More by TheManiacalOne
akorsak

3.68/5  rDev +5.1%

Thanks to krisandajt for this 12 oz bottle, freshly bottled just a few days ago.

A: The stout is a dark brown, like a glass of cola only thicker. The result is an opaque ale. A decent-sized head of nearly two fingers threatened to overflow my glass but ultimately didn't.

S: The nose is very interesting. Chocolate is evident, as is a sugary aroma that I can best describe as 'glazed'. Damn near a donut. just like I had for breakfast earlier today.

T: Chocolate is decadent, strong from the first sip. Sugary glaze and dough conspire with the chocolate like a liquified chocolate munchkin. I'm floored. The doughy aftertaste has hints4 of sugar and chocolate. A very impressive flavor to coax out of an ale.

M: Mmmm, doughnuts.

D: I'm not sure that I would call this a sessionable ale. It's far too sweet and sugary to be enjoyed to excess. I shared mine with ksak and we were both really impressed with the flavor though.

10-11-2009 21:33:50 | More by akorsak
Slatetank

3.83/5  rDev +9.4%

I appreciated akorsak sharing this bottle, poured chilled into a sampler glass.

A - A murkey medium brown w/ a light tan head that has a small bead and allows some lace to collect

S - Man this is a very aromatic beer, like floral vanilla, but fudge too, like a tootsie roll, but if you held it under my nose and told me it was a glazed chocolate donut I might believe you. Fudgy Wudgy's all I can say.

M - The feel is sweet and sugary around the edges, 'glazed' if you will, but somewhat full on the palate without becoming too cloying

T - A deep cocoa, dessert-like flavor, lots of vanilla in the mix too w/ cocoa and icing edged - candy like sweetness. This lives up to its name - why eat one when you can drink it?

D - This seems like something out of the Simpsons- Homer-*mmm donut beer*, but I must say I would drink it again. It has the big chocolate dense donut taste and is easy to drink, really.

10-16-2009 18:13:49 | More by Slatetank
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.9/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 oz from my trading partner SAS... He's been really wanting to try this.. combining three of his favorite pastimes.. Chocolate.. Donuts.. and of course beer. My half into my New Belgium Snifter.

1" head dies back quick with no lacing... color is more akin to a porter than a stout.

Aroma is truly a donut aroma.. reminds me of drunken nights when I used to live close to DK Donuts on State.. stopping in for a little late night sweetness to sop up my excess. Chocolate essence with vanilla... even butter... and deep-fried dough.. I am not making this up.

Flavor is pretty much the same ... but tastes more artificial.. the vanilla is much more pronounced. Chocolate and the toasty doughy notes are still very much in the forefront.. but the vanilla is a little too much... Milky chocolate essence with a sweetness that doesn't tie itself to "normal" sugars.. more of the maltiness. Sorta full bodied and thin at the same time... sweet but not thick. Not enough traditional "stout" flavors for me to be overly enthusiastic.

A fantastic novelty.. but I will probably only want this one again just so I can share it with local BA's.. and say.. "No Shit.. It tastes like a Chocolate Krispy Kreme!" I can see me getting a case of it, and sitting on it (refrigerated of course) and pulling it out for people who are interested and would appreciate it.

Steve went through the trouble of scoring this and all I can do is laugh.. laugh in a good way, because this brew makes me smile with every sip.. How the hell did they do it?

04-11-2008 08:26:09 | More by JohnGalt1
dirtylou

Washington

4.08/5  rDev +16.6%

12oz single, shipped by the prince of darkness "blackie". this is my 2nd trial as i had this on tap years ago in Arlington VA en route to dogfish head

appearance: pours into an imperial pint glass, nice chocolate brown body with a messy foam chocolate head and foamy retention (not my favorite stout head-style, but whatev)

smell: um yeah, chocolate donut...the aromas have hints of artificial flavoring but that may just be the way the donut hits the nose, milky and smooth, cocoa malts

taste: reminds me of a flaky chocolate donut with a light vanilla glaze (one of my favs), creamy and milky vanilla, buttery, cola-esque...novelty or not, this beer still wins

mouthfeel: creamy, cola carbonation

drinkability: high

03-28-2008 02:27:25 | More by dirtylou
largadeer

3.38/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance: Black with brown highlights and a khaki head - pretty standard stuff here. Head retention is fair.

Smell: I guess it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise, but this does actually smell like a chocolate donut. It's got that sickly sweet, highly processed chocolate aroma you'd expect to smell upon walking into a donut shop. It's appetizing for a split second, but becomes cloying in time.

Taste & mouthfeel: I was expecting this to be cloying and gross based on the aroma, but it's actually got a semblance of balance. Flavors of chocolate, vanilla and sugary dough are still rampant, but it's got a pleasing dryness in the backbone and a surprising coffee kick in the finish.

Drinkability: Fun to try once but I can't see myself seeking this out again.

Notes: Gimmicky? Yes, absolutely, but to my surprise it's really not bad.

06-14-2008 20:08:12 | More by largadeer
blackie

3.93/5  rDev +12.3%

a: Dark brown in color, with a low head that leaves little behind.

s: Initial impression is chocolate donut. I don't get the sick, overly artificial aroma of which others complain. Pleasant aromas of chocolate icing and cake donut.

m: low-medium carbonation, body on the full side of medium

t: Tasty, cakey donut coated in milky, sweet chocolate icing. Hops absent, finishes well with flavors of chocolate cake. Very well executed.

d: an interesting beer, better than the reviews show...just not something to session

First tried a few years ago at Dremo's and really liked it...my wider range of experience has dulled the excitement a bit, but it's still good. Was told that first time the beer is brewed with real Krispy Kreme choclate icing, and it shows. Six pack from the brewery.

03-22-2008 04:40:06 | More by blackie
tpd975

Thanks to ClorkworkOrange for this nice treat in my Super Bowl LIF package.

A: Pours a nice dark black hue with a nice tall creamy head that rises to a full two fingers. The retention is pretty good with some spotty lace noted.

S: Very cake like. Chocolate, fudge, with notes of sugar and roasted malt.

T: Nice flavors this is one I have wanted to try and it did not disappont. Wonderful roasted malt up front. Both bitter and sweet chocolate, sugar, and grain.

M: Medium in body, smooth very nice.

D: Nice, I liked it. Seems as this is a love or hate beer. I am a bit more on the love it side.

02-08-2009 23:30:35 | More by tpd975
maximum12

1.05/5  rDev -70%

Thanks to a fine BA for sending a bottle of this my way, always up for a good stout & well, always up for chocolate. Meld the two & I'm a happy guy.

Pours...oh, oh. Foam splatters & rises like a vengeful god, & I can barely trickle half the bottle before I have to give it a rest. Hopefully just over-carbonated? Probably not. The nose is...bad. Bad. Not right bad.

This beer is obviously infected. It tastes like a chocolate donut that's been smeared with bad mayo & left in the sun for a while. Absolutely, totally, completely god-awful. I'd like to try this beer in its real state, but the Godzilla of infections has rendered this the worst beer I have ever had. One sip. Now I'm going to go search out some steel wool to scrub my tongue. Too bad. I was looking forward to this one.

09-22-2010 02:21:51 | More by maximum12
clayrock81

3.73/5  rDev +6.6%

A brown, leather-couch color with a good-sized head that has some good retention. The smell is overly sweet, with chocolate and syrup coming out. This would make a perfect dessert beer as it is extremely sweet. There is no attempt at a mix or balance with this beer, it is just pure chocolatey donut. And not chocolate, but an actual chocolate donut - they got that fullish, bready taste in with the malts too. That being said, I wouldn't session these because a couple fills your stomach up and I could imagine a six-pack would make you sick.

03-10-2008 18:33:27 | More by clayrock81
brewdlyhooked13

4.33/5  rDev +23.7%

Appearance - a dark caramel pour, but is darker in the glass to where I can only see a reddish mahogany through the thinnest section at the bottom. A nice looking finger or so of light mocha head. Short lived, the lacing on the glass comes and goes but doesn't generate enough to stick around.

Aroma - not so much donut-ty, but a good presence of roasted grain, chocolate, and coffee.

Taste - not donut-ty at all. Good dark roast on the grains. Dark chocolate syrup at mid-palate and following, very nice. The chocolate carries into the finish, staying bittersweet and drying the palate a bit. Nice chocolatey finish, very tasty.

Mouthfeel - very crisp for a stout. Body is middling, which, when coupled with a colder than average serving temp, makes for a refreshing beverage.

Drinkability - I would have expected something along the lines of a cream or milk stout with such a beer name. That it isn't. What it is is a delicious chocolate flavored beer without high abv. Kudos to Hopheed for hooking me up with these at DLD07. Thanks Rob, they're going fast!!

07-24-2008 02:43:34 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Metalmonk

1.88/5  rDev -46.3%

The very concept of this beer rules. "Chocolate donuts" + "stout". Should equal "decandent & delicious". I love chocolate donuts, although I don't eat them often because I love them so much. This one comes with some built-in high expectations...I hope it delivers.

A gentle pour surprisingly results in way too much foam...several fingers thick, it takes a long time before I'm able to pour the rest of the beer. A second extremeeeley slow pour offers a soapy off-white head and a super-dark chocolately black color. Thick walls of lace are formed as the head slowly drops off. Looks really nice.

Aroma reminds of some sub-par U.S. stouts I've had. But worse. It's metallic, very much reminding of copper...wet pennies, actually. Very mineral. Despite trying, I find nothing redeemable in the aroma. I pray to the beer gods that there's a decent beer in here somewhere...

Eegads...this stout is awful. The metallic aroma carries over into the flavor. I feel like I have a mouthfeel of thin, cold, liquid steel. It's highly mineral, with hardly a trace of chocolate, sugar glaze or fried dough to be found. The metallic taste gives way to a more plastic flavor as it warms. There's also a very fake, artificial sweetness here. Also kind of sour, reminding of an infected homebrew batch. Some alcohol peeks through, but without anything substantial to back it up, it's bothersome.

Mouthfeel? Who cares? At this point nothing can save this stout, and it's a little too fluffy, too carbonated, so...whatever.

This gives a bad name to our friend, the chocolate donut. Shame on Shenandoah. And who is this Dr. Dremo? I don't see his name anywhere on the label. Perhaps he's too embarrassed to claim responsibility. Seriously, this is awful stuff. Avoid.

[Somehow I missed seeing this in my area, so my pal and fellow BA msubulldog25 sent a bottle from Oregon. From VA, to OR, and back to VA. Whatever works...thanks, Brian, for the chance to try it out.]

06-29-2008 19:12:04 | More by Metalmonk
Pencible

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

This had a very sweet chocolate scent, and matching flavor that wasn't very bitter at all. It had a regular stout aftertaste, although it was a bit thinner than most stouts. I'm not sure why "donut" was part of the name, because I couldn't discern that in the taste at all.

03-29-2008 21:46:19 | More by Pencible
Floydster

4.2/5  rDev +20%

12 ounce bottle received from HopHeed2113, thanks for the six pack of this unique beer, shared with my girlfriend and her parents, think they enjoyed it even more than I did, poured into an old mug from their house

A-Black color but had some dark brown highlights all the way through, 1 1/2 inch creamy light tan head that left a pillow on top, some retention, no real lacing

S-Smell was amazing, felt like I walked into a bakery, other than the non-stop chocolate aromas, there was cream, milk, sugar, and roasted malt

T-Started off tasting exactly like its name with tons of milk chocolate and cake batter, left a dry biscuit feel in the mouth like a donut would while it was cold too, later on started to taste more like a banana split, could taste raspberries and lots of whipped cream, probably the sweetest flavored beer I have ever had but it was not a bad thing in this case, mostly malt in this one so there was not much a balance from any hoppiness, chocolate taste never goes away, gives new definition to a dessert beer

M-Sweet and creamy mouthfeel full of milk chocolate, way too thin of a body for its style, taste did linger though, also too much carbonation in my opinion

D-Could drink another bottle at a sitting but these things cannot be good for you, very smooth, cannot taste much alcohol at all, more like chocolate milk than beer

Been wanting to try this since joining the site, actually tastes like a donut which really separates this from any other stout out there, cannot see this aging more than a month even, brewery said to drink as fresh as possible, alcohol seems low but does not say anywhere on the bottle, will drink my other bottles soon and am currently trading two others, definitely recommended

02-26-2008 04:41:07 | More by Floydster
msubulldog25

Oregon

1.98/5  rDev -43.4%

Thanks to wickedpete, I was able to gather several of these curiosities. A couple months ago the buzz around this one was pretty high, was it warranted?

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass. Label on this one has a home-spun feel (re: low-budget), a low-res image of donuts hides behind the brewery logo and some almost indecipherable text ('Government Warning'? Who needs it...).

A: Fizzy khaki-colored head rises rapidly to over a finger high, drops nearly as quickly to a patchy film of percolating tiny bubbles. One of the noisier beers I can recall, crackling softly even after the head dissipates. A deep brown that shows hints at a maroon-cherry redness when held to light.

S: What an odd smell...it has a processed 'chocolate' aroma, a powdery confectioner's sugar, a little caramel, and a quirky kool-aid lemon-lime(?). Maybe iced tea? A strange artificial berry? This is my third one of these I've tried (the other two in March, soon after receiving), I'm now somewhat accustomed to this smell, yet I'm still not sure how to describe it. I really am not sure how to grade it either, as I alternate between loving and detesting it from whiff to whiff...'3.0' is its score for me, but this unusual beer is anything but 'average'.

T: As strange as the smell is, the taste is...well...the taste is 'different'. A waxy cocoa hits upfront, followed by hints of fruity, semi-tart berries (raspberries, maybe?). Backing is a mildly sweet milk chocolate; there's a cake-y, yeasty quality that bears some semblance to 'donut' though the cheap/stale variety. Sounds good in theory, but this stout doesn't deliver...

M: Crazy, cola-like carbonation that's mouth-filling and, ultimately, burp-inducing (over and over...and over). Despite this bubbliness, mouthfeel has a thinness and that fake chocolate coats and lingers far too long, all over the mouth and across the lips. Toothbrush?

D: Having had three of these (I guess I keep hoping I'll find something I like about it...), I can officially say this is one I don't enjoy. I hate wasting beer, any beer, but this became my first drain pour in a very long time. Try some (you may really like it, as others have); me, I'm finally done with trying...

05-01-2008 04:35:39 | More by msubulldog25
nickd717

1.65/5  rDev -52.9%

12oz bottle via trade.

Pours dark brown with a small off-white head. Fades very quickly and looks a little strange. Chunks floating in the beer.

Aroma is very metallic and a little tart. Chocolate in the background. Infection is evident.

Flavor is Entenmann's chocolate donuts and sour infection. Not good.

Palate is wrecked from the likely infection. Medium-bodied and sour with a lasting bad finish.

Not good. No-hesitation drain pour for this one. Real bummer because I wanted to try this novelty beer in its intended state.

07-08-2010 17:50:27 | More by nickd717
Chaney

District of Columbia

3.68/5  rDev +5.1%

I've been wanting to try this one for a while, and one of my friends who knew this fact gave one of these to me at a Christmas party at my house that my wife hosted. Lucky me!

A couple of things have changed about this beer here recently: a) The ABV has been lowered to 6.5%. b) The bottle art has been completely revamped and now has a big pic of a half bitten chocolate donut and big cheesy "As Seen On TV" emblem on it.

A: Poured a dark brown color, mildly cloudy (from what I can tell) and about a two finger head that quickly melted away into a mere flimsy froth.

S: I don't know how they did it, but the title of the brew is no gimmick, it's the real deal! I'm not just saying this thing has some chocolate notes in it, I'm saying it literally has the smell of freshly baked dough with chocolate frosting.

T: The taste was a little more suspect. It's funny that it really tasted like root beer, through and through! The sweetness was tempered and seemed a bit fake.... sort of like Nutri-sweet. The doughy quality I got on the nose was present as well in sort of a "sour dough-like" way, which wasn't entirely unpleasant.

M: A bit on the thin side, and when I looked at the brew about half way through my session, I noticed that it looked almost completely flat, which indicated to me that there were some carbonation problems. To my taste though, there are times when I find mildly flat soda to be a guilty pleasure.

D: I never know what to expect out of Shenandoah Brewing Co. Heck, the brewery is right down the street from my home and few selections I've had on tap from them in the past have ranged from barely passable to pretty good. I'd try this one again for the novelty alone, if for no other reason.

12-21-2010 19:26:37 | More by Chaney
RBorsato

4.58/5  rDev +30.9%

Tasted on-tap 01/27/06 at Dr. Dremo's in Arlington, VA.

A fabulous funky milk chocolate looking beer that matches the funky locale of Dr. Dremo's. If it looks, smells and tastes like milk chocolate then it must be delicious ... and it is. A nice chocolatey beer in every way without being overly sweet kinda like th milk after cocoa puffs but much more robust. Very nice medium-full body and smooth - oh so easy to drink.

I'm not much for chocolate donuts; but in beer form, now you're talking !

02-17-2006 22:11:04 | More by RBorsato
ClockworkOrange

3.98/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my shaker glass. Appears a cloudy dark brown color reminiscent of cola with about a finger of tan foam. A few people write this off as a gimmick beer. Let them think that. I know better. This beer smells and tastes exactly as the label states. Rich chocolate cake, sweet vanilla glaze, yeah it's all there along with caramel malt, a touch of molasses, and bread . Close your eyes and you can taste a rich, cakey chocolate donut, glaze and all. Medium to moderate in both body and carbonation. An interesting beer to say the least. Check it out if you can.

03-20-2009 05:45:56 | More by ClockworkOrange
Shenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer from Shenandoah Brewing Co.