Shenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer - Shenandoah Brewing Co.

Shenandoah Chocolate Donut BeerShenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer

good

Shenandoah Brewing Co. visit their website
Virginia, United States

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 07-09-2005

3.41/5  rDev -2.6%

I got a sixer of these bad boys from my donut connect in DC. I had a few of these months ago that were way oxidized so I had high hopes for this "freshly bottled" batch. Until you look at the half assed capping job on these, really? Well better start poppin these fast...

Dark brown and opaque, but the head and lacing are minimal. I realy have to agitate this one to get anything heady out of it, but what does appear is very light taupe. The nose is odd but I expect that from a beer claiming to taste like chocolate donuts. I get a little bit of Nestle Quik chocolate powder, lactose, and general sweetness.

The taste is something to ponder. I get oxidization, but not at all as prominent as previous batches. The taste is loosely reminiscent of confectioners sugar and milk chocolate cake, very milk chocolate, and I am going to have to agree with dan-o here that there is some Whopper candy action getting down here. Thankfully the sweetness actually is a bit restrained and not clingy.

I do enjoy this beer....especially when sharing. I could drink one alone and be done with it or split one happily for breakfast. Or tailgating with BeerTruth at a Bills game :-)

3.37/5  rDev -3.7%

Just received this brew from BeerTruth as an extra only hours ago. It looks as though it was hand bottled and whoever put the cap on, needs bottling help lol. Drank from my Ram Brewing Bighorn full pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a dark hazy brown with a small bubbly dark tan head. No cap remains after a few minutes and a fairly decent collar sticks around. Zippo on the lacing.
Smell- Very sweet smelling with a big malted milk ball aspect. The chocolate is somewhat muted and very milk chocolate like. A bit of vanilla hides amongst the milk balls too. Other than that, pretty straight forward nose. Seriously donut/candy smelling nose.
Taste- Starts with a bit of an oxidized chocolate maltiness. Like the nose, I immediately think of malted milk balls as they are chocolaty with hints of vanilla. It's definitely not as sweet as I was expecting but there's an underlying cloyingness that lays in wait and really shows in the finish. The vanilla really lingers as well.
Mouthfeel- Medium feel that's vibrant and aggressive with a nice crisp scrubbing feel.
Drinkability- Well, taking into account that the beer was hand bottled and slightly oxidized, it was decent. The sweetness seemed to linger a bit but the flavors were very interesting. Weird beer that turned out to be extremely interesting but I could never drink more than one. Thanks much Adam, you rock!

3.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Picked up a bunch of this tasty brew while visiting friends down in Virginia. An excellent investment indeed...

Appearance: Pours a deep, dark brown color with a nice two finger width of thick bubbly head. Decent retention that fades away to a thin, soapy top layer of foam with minimal lacing.

Smell: Mild chocolate and malts. The chocolate doesn't smell bitter like baking chocolate or roasted like I expected, but more towards the sweeter milk chocolate. Interesting in that I don't think I've smelled a stout quite like this.

Taste: Immediate chocolatey taste right off the bat. The chocolate reminds me of a chocolate frosting on a donut. I can definitely make the association to a fresh chocolate donut.

Mouthfeel: Has a smooth creamy, medium body that goes down easy. Not as thick as some stouts, but definitely an easy drinker.

Drinkability: A little sweet for my tastes, but I believe this beer captures the essence of a chocolate donut. This would make a great desert beer, and would go well to share with friends, but I don't think I could make an evening of drinking this.

3.82/5  rDev +9.1%

I appreciated akorsak sharing this bottle, poured chilled into a sampler glass.

A - A murkey medium brown w/ a light tan head that has a small bead and allows some lace to collect

S - Man this is a very aromatic beer, like floral vanilla, but fudge too, like a tootsie roll, but if you held it under my nose and told me it was a glazed chocolate donut I might believe you. Fudgy Wudgy's all I can say.

M - The feel is sweet and sugary around the edges, 'glazed' if you will, but somewhat full on the palate without becoming too cloying

T - A deep cocoa, dessert-like flavor, lots of vanilla in the mix too w/ cocoa and icing edged - candy like sweetness. This lives up to its name - why eat one when you can drink it?

D - This seems like something out of the Simpsons- Homer-*mmm donut beer*, but I must say I would drink it again. It has the big chocolate dense donut taste and is easy to drink, really.

3.7/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to krisandajt for this 12 oz bottle, freshly bottled just a few days ago.

A: The stout is a dark brown, like a glass of cola only thicker. The result is an opaque ale. A decent-sized head of nearly two fingers threatened to overflow my glass but ultimately didn't.

S: The nose is very interesting. Chocolate is evident, as is a sugary aroma that I can best describe as 'glazed'. Damn near a donut. just like I had for breakfast earlier today.

T: Chocolate is decadent, strong from the first sip. Sugary glaze and dough conspire with the chocolate like a liquified chocolate munchkin. I'm floored. The doughy aftertaste has hints4 of sugar and chocolate. A very impressive flavor to coax out of an ale.

M: Mmmm, doughnuts.

D: I'm not sure that I would call this a sessionable ale. It's far too sweet and sugary to be enjoyed to excess. I shared mine with ksak and we were both really impressed with the flavor though.

3.83/5  rDev +9.4%

Thanks to billab914 for this!

Pours a cola-like dark brown with a foamy two-finger head.

Smells like Dunkin Donuts. It's really amazing! Picking up notes of brown sugar, chocolate cake.

Tastes like a chocolate frosted donut. I don't know hwo the hell Shenandoah does this! Fudgy and chocolate syrup qualities are also present. Extremely sweet and sugary. The sugar reminds me of eating sprinkles.

This has nice carbonation, maybe a little too fizzy, with pretty good drinkability considering the sweetness that this beer exudes. I don't love it, I surely don't hate it and I'm certainly glad I have another bottle of it!

3.13/5  rDev -10.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Dark brown but less than opaque in color. Decent two finger light brown head that leaves minimal lacing.

S: Smell has a slight presence of roasted malt and a ton of sugar sweetness. Undesirable and bizarre "bubblegum" esters as well.

T: Tastes indeed like the chocolate shell of a white cake chocolate donut, however that bubblegum flavor also pulls through. Very sweet chocolate and a slight roasted maltiness, no hop presence. Alcohol is present in the aftertaste.

M/D: Had an average body and a fair amount of carbonation.

Very artificial. This is a very cool concept for a beer, but I feel could be done better.

3.17/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a very dark brown color, nearly black, but not opaque. The head is moderate, and pours as a frothy ring on the outside of the glass. When held up to the light, the near black color gives way to some lighter brown highlights.

The smell is very sweet, with a minimal roasted malt presence and practically no hops. Overall, the aroma is very similar to bubble gum - very sweet. There are some hints of chocolate, a bit of fruit and a slight alcohol presence, but this is largely overshadowed by the bubble gum scent.

The taste is similar to the smell, and rather 1-dimensional. Not much bitterness and nearly no hops. There is a definite chocolate flavor, with a hint of fruit, but once again there is a dominant bubble gum flavor that comes from the sweetness. The finish is a bit better, exhibiting some roasted malt in the aftertaste.

Overall, this isn't the worst beer, it just doesn't taste much like an American stout. It is overmuch sweet, and the resultant bubble gum flavor is very off putting. Would have liked to see more of a hop character and a more accented roasted malt presence.

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle received as an extra in one of my first trades. Poured a black body with a light brown rocky head with moderate amounts of lacing on the sides of the glass. Smells are all over the place. Burnt nutty flavors, perfume, doughy, dark fruits, some chocolate. Taste is just as crazy as the smell. Chocolate cake doughnut with vanilla frosting is what I smell up front. Creamy, oily, soft mouthfeel.

3.87/5  rDev +10.6%

Huge thanks to tprokop7 for throwing this in as a kicker.

A: Dark brown but not black. Light leaves a chestnut glow at the edges. Decent tan head.

S: Chocolate and chocolate. It makes me think of those cheap chocolate covered donuts that come along with the powdered sugar and plain ones.

T: WOW! Someone liquefied a chocolate covered donut and bottled it. It is crazy how close the flavor is. It has that really sweet chocolate with maybe a touch of breadiness.

M: Pretty thick actually. Leaves me feeling like I ate a dry donut.

D: For what it is it's great. I'm not sure how long I could drink this for but I am certainly glad I got to try it.

3.97/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my shaker glass. Appears a cloudy dark brown color reminiscent of cola with about a finger of tan foam. A few people write this off as a gimmick beer. Let them think that. I know better. This beer smells and tastes exactly as the label states. Rich chocolate cake, sweet vanilla glaze, yeah it's all there along with caramel malt, a touch of molasses, and bread . Close your eyes and you can taste a rich, cakey chocolate donut, glaze and all. Medium to moderate in both body and carbonation. An interesting beer to say the least. Check it out if you can.

Thanks to ClorkworkOrange for this nice treat in my Super Bowl LIF package.

A: Pours a nice dark black hue with a nice tall creamy head that rises to a full two fingers. The retention is pretty good with some spotty lace noted.

S: Very cake like. Chocolate, fudge, with notes of sugar and roasted malt.

T: Nice flavors this is one I have wanted to try and it did not disappont. Wonderful roasted malt up front. Both bitter and sweet chocolate, sugar, and grain.

M: Medium in body, smooth very nice.

D: Nice, I liked it. Seems as this is a love or hate beer. I am a bit more on the love it side.

4.35/5  rDev +24.3%

I stopped in the brewery today .

Appearance - Very nice. Deep dark black with creamy white head a light tan tint to the head. Head sit for a while on it.

Smell- First is of a Baltic porter. Very sweet with lots of chocolate, vanilla, some honey and a little amaretto maybe. No real hops smell.

Taste - Wow, I was blown away by this beer. We had spoken to one of the employees and he suggested it as a Breakfast beer and was it ever. Very sweet and chocolaty with almost a bread characteristic. Again chocolate, then vanilla with a little roast to it.

Mouthfeel - Heavy but creamy. Nice carbonation. Stayed with you for a while.

Drinkability - I could drink lots and lots of this. To bad they don't sell it anywhere,

Nice job!

3.92/5  rDev +12%

Thanks to Mymrnngjckt for this one.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Boulevard Smokestack chalice. This beer pours an opaque, dark brown with a huge rocky, graham cracker brown head. Surprisingly, this beer leaves some major lacing for a stout. The aroma is chocolate up front, with a bit of vanilla, and a nice sugary sweetness. The flavor is pretty similar to what I imagine a chocolate donut tastes like (its been quite a while since I've had one). There is loads of sweet chocolate up front, vanilla, a bit of amaretto and what reminds me of coconut in the after flavor. There is a nice confectionary sweetness that runs through the entirety of the flavor profile. The mouthfeel is a bit thin for my likings. I wish it had had a bit more body to it. This is a good beer, and I'm very happy to have had the opportunity to have tried it.

3.36/5  rDev -4%

Dark brown with a beige head and decent retention. Chocolate, ashy, and roasty aroma. Taste was a little metallic, had some chocolate and bready notes, somewhat similar to chocolate glazing. High carbonation and light body. Decent beer, but I couldn't have too much of it.

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%

First off, this has to be just a novelty beer. No where in the nose or the smell does it resemble a chocolate donut. Pours a translucent brown in color. Smell is slight chocolate, but there's another scent that is interfering with it. Can't quite figure out what it is. Taste is thin, watery and again, not decadent chocolate. The only thing chocolate donut about this offering is its name.
Close to a drainpour. Hoping that I had a bad bottle, but nothing tasted "infected".

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Pours nearly black with very thick tan colored head. Head diminishes slowly, but retains throughout the session.

S - Milk chocolate, yeast, oak (or some other woodiness). A hint of something almost fruit-like, carob perhaps? Definitely gives the impression of a processed chocolate product.

T - Very sweet, much like soda, with a flavor to match the nose.

M - Very high carbonation, a thin mouthfeel for its style. Leaves a fairly dry finish with a cloying sweetness that hangs on a bit too long.

D - A unique beer with an unusual flavor profile, but probably not one that I would seek out again.

4.3/5  rDev +22.9%

Appearance - a dark caramel pour, but is darker in the glass to where I can only see a reddish mahogany through the thinnest section at the bottom. A nice looking finger or so of light mocha head. Short lived, the lacing on the glass comes and goes but doesn't generate enough to stick around.

Aroma - not so much donut-ty, but a good presence of roasted grain, chocolate, and coffee.

Taste - not donut-ty at all. Good dark roast on the grains. Dark chocolate syrup at mid-palate and following, very nice. The chocolate carries into the finish, staying bittersweet and drying the palate a bit. Nice chocolatey finish, very tasty.

Mouthfeel - very crisp for a stout. Body is middling, which, when coupled with a colder than average serving temp, makes for a refreshing beverage.

Drinkability - I would have expected something along the lines of a cream or milk stout with such a beer name. That it isn't. What it is is a delicious chocolate flavored beer without high abv. Kudos to Hopheed for hooking me up with these at DLD07. Thanks Rob, they're going fast!!

3.85/5  rDev +10%

Acquired from dsigmon courtesy of the Ugly Duckling BIF, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a large light brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is loaded with creamy chocolate and roasted malts along with a touch of hops.

T: The taste is malty, bready and full of chocolate as the name implies. There's a mild hops presence that provides a little balance, but the chocolate and malt dominate and are done well. There after-taste is sweet.

M: Smooth with a little crispness, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, a little filling, decent kick, good representation of style, this is a very good stout that I could drink a couple of if I were in the mood for the style, but after that the heaviness might slow me down.

3.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a root beer like color with a thick ¾ inch caramel colored head. Smells of roasted malts, chocolate, and licorice dominate. First sip is super chocolaty, like a dark chocolate Hershey Bar or a Diet Right Chocolate Fudge Soda. Mouthfeel is VERY creamy. The taste truly fits the beer's name. This is brew is both tasty and unique. ENJOY!

1.9/5  rDev -45.7%

The very concept of this beer rules. "Chocolate donuts" + "stout". Should equal "decandent & delicious". I love chocolate donuts, although I don't eat them often because I love them so much. This one comes with some built-in high expectations...I hope it delivers.

A gentle pour surprisingly results in way too much foam...several fingers thick, it takes a long time before I'm able to pour the rest of the beer. A second extremeeeley slow pour offers a soapy off-white head and a super-dark chocolately black color. Thick walls of lace are formed as the head slowly drops off. Looks really nice.

Aroma reminds of some sub-par U.S. stouts I've had. But worse. It's metallic, very much reminding of copper...wet pennies, actually. Very mineral. Despite trying, I find nothing redeemable in the aroma. I pray to the beer gods that there's a decent beer in here somewhere...

Eegads...this stout is awful. The metallic aroma carries over into the flavor. I feel like I have a mouthfeel of thin, cold, liquid steel. It's highly mineral, with hardly a trace of chocolate, sugar glaze or fried dough to be found. The metallic taste gives way to a more plastic flavor as it warms. There's also a very fake, artificial sweetness here. Also kind of sour, reminding of an infected homebrew batch. Some alcohol peeks through, but without anything substantial to back it up, it's bothersome.

Mouthfeel? Who cares? At this point nothing can save this stout, and it's a little too fluffy, too carbonated, so...whatever.

This gives a bad name to our friend, the chocolate donut. Shame on Shenandoah. And who is this Dr. Dremo? I don't see his name anywhere on the label. Perhaps he's too embarrassed to claim responsibility. Seriously, this is awful stuff. Avoid.

[Somehow I missed seeing this in my area, so my pal and fellow BA msubulldog25 sent a bottle from Oregon. From VA, to OR, and back to VA. Whatever works...thanks, Brian, for the chance to try it out.]

4.09/5  rDev +16.9%

thanks to dyan for this beer; poured into an ommegang tulip.

A - pours a dark mass with a nice tannish head due to an aggressive pour, but the head quickly runs away never to be seen again. some bubbles reamin clinging to the edge of the glass but nothing of significance.

S - Theres a smell here that I can't quit identify, but want to say buttery popcorn or even fried dough. Either way it smells really nice and definitely adds to the appeal of this beer. Maybe a slight malt backbone in the aroma but really the smell is dominated by the scent of butter or dough.

T- if your able to take a big smell along with a decent gulp it really could resemble a chocolate pastry of some sort. flavors of chocolate are most dominate, but i can identifyu some roasted notes and coffee.

M - medium to light bodied with low carbonation.

D - it would be pretty easy to go through a few of these

3.38/5  rDev -3.4%

Thanks to Mhewes for the chance to try this beer:

A - Pours an opaque brown with a large spoungy cream colored head that disipated slowly leaving a spotty lace.

S - Smells a lot like a chocolate donut. Little bit of yeast and cream on the back end.

T - Weak chocolate donut flavor, some roasted grain, and yeast accents.

M - Smooth with a moderate carbonation with a sweet aftertaste.

D - Not a bad beer. Definately worth a try, but not really my style.

3.9/5  rDev +11.4%

A : Pours a nice dark brown with a good tan head (nice retention). Good lacing left behind

S : It smells like a chocolate donut. It really does.

T : I can't believe I'm saying this but it's a chocolate donut. It does have a roasted malt aftertaste (I knew there was some beer flavor in here).

M : Full bodied with low carbonation

D : It's a unique concept but I'm not sure if I'd go for it that often.

3.36/5  rDev -4%

Appearance: Black with brown highlights and a khaki head - pretty standard stuff here. Head retention is fair.

Smell: I guess it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise, but this does actually smell like a chocolate donut. It's got that sickly sweet, highly processed chocolate aroma you'd expect to smell upon walking into a donut shop. It's appetizing for a split second, but becomes cloying in time.

Taste & mouthfeel: I was expecting this to be cloying and gross based on the aroma, but it's actually got a semblance of balance. Flavors of chocolate, vanilla and sugary dough are still rampant, but it's got a pleasing dryness in the backbone and a surprising coffee kick in the finish.

Drinkability: Fun to try once but I can't see myself seeking this out again.

Notes: Gimmicky? Yes, absolutely, but to my surprise it's really not bad.

Shenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer from Shenandoah Brewing Co.