Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Shenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer - Shenandoah Brewing Co.

Shenandoah Chocolate Donut BeerShenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer

good

Shenandoah Brewing Co. visit their website
Virginia, United States

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 07-09-2005

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.52/5  rDev +28.8%

pours a fairly thin root beer color, clear liquid but opaque dark brown in the glass. Definitely a smell of cocoa powder in there. Tastes mildly roasty initially but there is a sweet chocolate there to compliment and creates a nice flavor but doesn't overpower. This is a really easy drinking stout with a fairly moderate chocolate flavor. I could drink this all the time. (372 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +10.8%

Shenandoah Brewing Company Dr. Dremo's Chocolate Donut Stout... Enjoyed out of my Delirium Tulip with my bro.. Listening to the Cowboy Junkies..
I've wanted to try this beer for so long! First off a big thanks to HopHeed for the trade. I worked in Shenandoah National Park for a season and this beer just reminds of sitting at Big Meadows and enjoying the sunshine.

Appearance: Not to much head retention. Light stout appearance, fades at the rim when held up to a light.

Aroma: I've heard this beer is a love it or hate beer... I love the aroma, but I love glazed chocolate donuts. The aroma delivers! It's like walking into DK donuts (Boise landmark.. open 24/7 with fresh donuts always) in the morning... craving coffee, but after this one I'm going to be craving Shenandoah's Chocolate Donut Stout!...

Flavor: The taste lives up to the name. Big chocolate malts. I really do think this brewery should get into bed with Hershey's. It would serve both of them well. It does die off pretty quick though. But that initial impression with the amazing nose is absolutely fantastic.

Mouth Feel: Coats the mouth with chocolately goodness. But their a distinct chemically wax paper feel their as well

Drink ability: I want a case. But just so I can share one with friends every now and then. A half pint is plenty for one sitting.. This is not Atkins beer! I gave it a four

just because it's such a conversation piece of a beer. I could not drink this beer all day, I'd get a to many cavities.

Well.. in closing I love this beer! Rob thanks again. I have a sneaking suspicion you and I are going to be working out future trades for this one. (1,648 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 oz from my trading partner SAS... He's been really wanting to try this.. combining three of his favorite pastimes.. Chocolate.. Donuts.. and of course beer. My half into my New Belgium Snifter.

1" head dies back quick with no lacing... color is more akin to a porter than a stout.

Aroma is truly a donut aroma.. reminds me of drunken nights when I used to live close to DK Donuts on State.. stopping in for a little late night sweetness to sop up my excess. Chocolate essence with vanilla... even butter... and deep-fried dough.. I am not making this up.

Flavor is pretty much the same ... but tastes more artificial.. the vanilla is much more pronounced. Chocolate and the toasty doughy notes are still very much in the forefront.. but the vanilla is a little too much... Milky chocolate essence with a sweetness that doesn't tie itself to "normal" sugars.. more of the maltiness. Sorta full bodied and thin at the same time... sweet but not thick. Not enough traditional "stout" flavors for me to be overly enthusiastic.

A fantastic novelty.. but I will probably only want this one again just so I can share it with local BA's.. and say.. "No Shit.. It tastes like a Chocolate Krispy Kreme!" I can see me getting a case of it, and sitting on it (refrigerated of course) and pulling it out for people who are interested and would appreciate it.

Steve went through the trouble of scoring this and all I can do is laugh.. laugh in a good way, because this brew makes me smile with every sip.. How the hell did they do it? (1,528 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +8.5%

This beer was amazing.
the nose on this thing wow.
Like you just opened a pack of those cheap waxy corner store chocolate gem donuts.

The color was pretty dark, brownish to almost completely black.
the taste was incredible. I wanted a glass of milk to wash the donuts down. If you can not taste the donuts in this then try another bottle.
I would prolly not buy this regularly, but this is a good example to show friends who think beer is your standard american lager the difference and what can be done with beer (514 characters)

this beer is awesome. thanks chad!!

the smell is sweet and full. a little bit of booze completes this nose. the taste is that of a chocolate donut. duh!! i really am happy with this beer!

overall, this is a full flavored brew! chocolate, sweets, and baked goods are the insides of this product.
cheers! (305 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +6%

This had a very sweet chocolate scent, and matching flavor that wasn't very bitter at all. It had a regular stout aftertaste, although it was a bit thinner than most stouts. I'm not sure why "donut" was part of the name, because I couldn't discern that in the taste at all. (273 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +16.5%

12oz single, shipped by the prince of darkness "blackie". this is my 2nd trial as i had this on tap years ago in Arlington VA en route to dogfish head

appearance: pours into an imperial pint glass, nice chocolate brown body with a messy foam chocolate head and foamy retention (not my favorite stout head-style, but whatev)

smell: um yeah, chocolate donut...the aromas have hints of artificial flavoring but that may just be the way the donut hits the nose, milky and smooth, cocoa malts

taste: reminds me of a flaky chocolate donut with a light vanilla glaze (one of my favs), creamy and milky vanilla, buttery, cola-esque...novelty or not, this beer still wins

mouthfeel: creamy, cola carbonation

drinkability: high (722 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +11.7%

a: Dark brown in color, with a low head that leaves little behind.

s: Initial impression is chocolate donut. I don't get the sick, overly artificial aroma of which others complain. Pleasant aromas of chocolate icing and cake donut.

m: low-medium carbonation, body on the full side of medium

t: Tasty, cakey donut coated in milky, sweet chocolate icing. Hops absent, finishes well with flavors of chocolate cake. Very well executed.

d: an interesting beer, better than the reviews show...just not something to session

First tried a few years ago at Dremo's and really liked it...my wider range of experience has dulled the excitement a bit, but it's still good. Was told that first time the beer is brewed with real Krispy Kreme choclate icing, and it shows. Six pack from the brewery. (789 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Duvel snifter( thanks tim). Poured a dark brown bordering on black color with light tan head that foamed up two fingers. Smell is a hint of chocolate frosting and a slight doughy maltness adds to the aroma. Taste is a sweet artifical taste, slight powdered sugar and chocolate flavor. Mouthfeel is to light for a stout with a high carbonation level that doesnt help. Glad to have had a chance to try this one and would try again if I had a chance to try it on tap at the brewery just to compare. (524 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -6.6%

With much hype surrounding this one for a little while, I was very anxious to try it. First off, the concept just seemed to be interesting. Also of note was at the Atlanta Cask event I tried a chocolate donut stout that was by far the best thing I had there, and if this were even close, I would trade for case of it. Pulled it out of the fridge and poured it into an oversized wine glass. The pour was very full, with a huge tan head perhaps four inches high rising up over the top of it immediately. I was actually quite surprised by the first look of it to be honest. A deep dark black then took over from the color, which was essentially opaque. The head fell and left behind a thin layer of perhaps a quarter inch and some decent side glass look to it. There was an audible fizz to it, which showed it was carbonated, but scared me coming from a stout!

The smell was spot on for a krispy kreme chocolate donut. It was humorous actually that it smelled that much like it. Nevertheless, the bottle says no preservatives, which is great, however this thing reeked of artificial flavoring. Just the sugar cheap donut smell, you know what I mean. Not the rich chocolate malt you would expect. Noting much of note in the aroma, perhaps some light grain, but that was really about all there was. The flavor was way to light to call this a stout, in fact, it was on the light side for a porter to be honest. Just not a full bodied kind of beer I guess. The flavor was sugary but not terribly so, just very fake tasting, like it was a forced flavor. Some light dryness in the finish, and a huge carbonation profile here. Tons of carbonation, which probably lended it to feeling even lighter. One thing of note was a good stout would get better as it warmed, but this did not seem to. The carbonation died down, but the flavors did as well, and when it at about room temperature it lost a lot of that artificial flavor and what was left a light roasted malt that really was nothing too terribly special. It was fairly drinkable though as all the flavors were light and it had virtually no alcohol in it.

Overall, it was a bit of a let down I have to be honest. Just too light and artificial for me. Not a bad novelty, and my mother-in-law love's this one if that counts for anything, but unfortunately, I will have to pass on it. Better luck next time. (2,349 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +6.3%

A brown, leather-couch color with a good-sized head that has some good retention. The smell is overly sweet, with chocolate and syrup coming out. This would make a perfect dessert beer as it is extremely sweet. There is no attempt at a mix or balance with this beer, it is just pure chocolatey donut. And not chocolate, but an actual chocolate donut - they got that fullish, bready taste in with the malts too. That being said, I wouldn't session these because a couple fills your stomach up and I could imagine a six-pack would make you sick. (543 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -30.5%

Poured a nice 2 fingers of white froth into my SA BA glass. Very dark brown/black in the glass. Aroma...uh...chocolate donuts?
Taste was super sweet...all chocolate donut. And not like a regular donut but those sugary glazed chocolate cake donuts from Dunkin Donuts. Did not care for this, at all. (297 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +11.7%

12oz Bottle

I received this in a recent trade with HopHeed2113, thanks a lot Rob. A chocolate Donut flavored Stout. If that's not catchy I don't know what is. Chocolate Donut Stout empties the bottle the darkest of browns bordering on black. Chestnut highlights adorn the edges of the glass when backlit. A micro bubbled beige head grew to two fingers on an aggressive pour but quickly fell to a creamy cap. There's a patch or two of lacing here and there after each drink.

There's some roastiness throughout the smell but it's unreal how the brewers captured the smell of a chocolate covered donut. There's plenty of cake like donut with even more of that sugary sweet chocolate topping. Every time I bring my nose to the glass I have a flashback of biting into a chocolate donut complete with the small crust that forms on the chocolate. I think it's pretty impressive jamming that into a beer bottle.

The flavor isn't quite as doughnutty intense as the aroma would suggest. As a matter of fact I'm glad it's not because I think it would have been overwhelming. The roastiness is present with an enjoyable cake like breadiness. The chocolate is throughout but stands out on the backend as a sweet milk chocolate. Not a bad stout and interesting to say the least.

Smooth creamy mouthfeel that, and I'm just being picky here, could use a touch more body. There's some stickiness on the swallow that I could do without but overall the mouthfeel fits the beer pretty well.

This bottle goes down easy and is quite enjoyable. I'd imagine drinking more than two or three in a sitting would be a little much.

An interesting beer I've been searching out for a couple months now. I love the whole concept and it's actually a good stout that I wouldn't mind getting a few more bottles of even if just for the novelty factor. (1,822 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -4.3%

hoppymeal sent this beer as a bonus extra in probably one of the most generous trades to date. Thanks again Derek!

12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic. Who is this Dr. Dremo? I don't see his name anywhere on the bottle.

Let's see if this novelty beer turns out to be something decent. Pours a dark dark brown with a very generous three finger tan colored head that dies down fairly quick for the size. Stickiness is decent, coats the sides of the glass here and there. For the name of the beer, I expected more chocolate in the nose. Rubbery malt scent with a bit of stale black coffee. A faint cocoa smell with a hint of toasted grain. For some reason I detect dark wheat each whiff as well, hmmm. Ok, taste yields much more chocolate than the smell. Super sweet glazed chocolate donut hole up front with a fresh roasted coffee flavor. A smokey caramel malt flavor finds its way towards the middle. Aftertaste is dry cocoa powder and roasted barley. Carbonation is very high which I don't enjoy, especially for this style. Body is also lighter and thinner than usual which I'm not a big fan of. I guess I compare every beer with "chocolate" in the title to Southern Tier's Choklat and many seem to fall short. Decent beer, but nothing extraordinary. Glad I had the opportunity to try this one but I wouldn't go out of your way to get your hands on it. (1,352 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +21.7%

Big thanks to Hopheed for sending this one a bit west....

Pours an almost opaque black but not quite.... I will say that this has one of the most gorgeous heads I've ever seen...

Smells very much like a box of those chocolate covered Hostess donuts that my kids eat on Saturday morning... a bit of chocolate and also a bit of bread or yeast or something (donut?)

I'm actually a little surprised at how much this tastes like those donuts.... I was expecting it to be sorta chocolatey but this is actually very pleasant... Hell, I like it a lot...it tastes very much like a chocolate donut...

Again, big thanks to Hopheed for this one.... My wife and I are going to share the next bottle.. (692 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +19.9%

12 ounce bottle received from HopHeed2113, thanks for the six pack of this unique beer, shared with my girlfriend and her parents, think they enjoyed it even more than I did, poured into an old mug from their house

A-Black color but had some dark brown highlights all the way through, 1 1/2 inch creamy light tan head that left a pillow on top, some retention, no real lacing

S-Smell was amazing, felt like I walked into a bakery, other than the non-stop chocolate aromas, there was cream, milk, sugar, and roasted malt

T-Started off tasting exactly like its name with tons of milk chocolate and cake batter, left a dry biscuit feel in the mouth like a donut would while it was cold too, later on started to taste more like a banana split, could taste raspberries and lots of whipped cream, probably the sweetest flavored beer I have ever had but it was not a bad thing in this case, mostly malt in this one so there was not much a balance from any hoppiness, chocolate taste never goes away, gives new definition to a dessert beer

M-Sweet and creamy mouthfeel full of milk chocolate, way too thin of a body for its style, taste did linger though, also too much carbonation in my opinion

D-Could drink another bottle at a sitting but these things cannot be good for you, very smooth, cannot taste much alcohol at all, more like chocolate milk than beer

Been wanting to try this since joining the site, actually tastes like a donut which really separates this from any other stout out there, cannot see this aging more than a month even, brewery said to drink as fresh as possible, alcohol seems low but does not say anywhere on the bottle, will drink my other bottles soon and am currently trading two others, definitely recommended (1,738 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a snifter the liquid is plenty darlk with mild carbonation. The head is small, one pinky, tan and leave no lace.

The smell is fain but gets better as it warms. Chocolate sweetness is the main aroma, a very sweet chocolate with sugar, as advertised.

The taste is good, not real great but good and certainly as advertised. As is warms the chocolate comes out with a nice sweetness not cloying. some fruity, doughy and yeasty notes come through as well.

The mouthfeel is not real great, the body seems light and the carbonation is prickly, kinda like a cream soda.

The drinkability is ok with some tweaking this could d be a winner.

Prosit, MK (675 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -49%

Big thanks to kmweaver on Ratebeer for hooking me up with this beer!! <br>
Pours almost opaque black with a nice sized tan head. Smell is very chocolately donut like and a big in your face ash-like chemically waxy chocolate smell reminiscent of the chocolate donuts you’d get from a vending machine but rolled in ashes. Unique flavor of waxy chemically chocolate probably from the "essence of donut". Not quite sure what to think about this one...Glad I got to try it, and although on first sip I really liked it, after about 1/2 a bottle it was overwhelming and the artificial flavor became off-putting. Somewhat surprised at the high ratings but big points for uniqueness, either way. Still a drainpour for me... (721 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +18.2%

Chocolate Donut Stout? That is genius, this is one beer I had to try. Pours a dark cola brown in color with some fine haziness, a good size light tan head slowly dissipates. Aroma is a nice chocolate donut glaze and roasted malt smell with some powdered sugar and cola sweetness as well. Taste shows a nice yeasty and lightly sweet donut flavor along with a powerful roasted malt tanginess and cola sweetness. Mouthfeel is light to medium with a soft creamy effervescence on the tongue from the fine carbonation, somewaht drying in the finish. A very nice beer, not like eating a chocolate donut by amy means, but the subtle flavors that do come thru work very well, the donut characteristics are probably most notable in the aroma. Style points galore for this one. Cheers and thanks to Ken for the opportunity. (812 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +13.1%

12oz. brown bottle, no date info.

Deep smoked garnet. Noisy, crackling head of piled café au lait colored bubbles that settles steadily leaving no lacing. Eventually it thins itself to an icing of fine bubbles. No visible carbonation streams. Chocolatey, cakey, fry oil aromas arise, sweet and suggestive of a dense old fashioned chocolate donut with a thick coating of white, flaky glazing. It is surprising how close to a fresh donut this smells. Hints of baker’s chocolate and vanilla intermingle as well, but generally the smells are sweet. The taste is bitter then sweet chocolate, amazingly similar to a donut. Bitter and sweet chocolate mix along with those sugary icing flavors. The finish is sweet and a touch bitter, but it is the chocolatey sweetness that lasts. Medium body with modest carbonation, this has a slightly slick mouthfeel. The tongue is left just a bit numb as well for some reason. Sweet and chocolatey, like a donut. Perhaps a tad overly sweet to be sessionable, but still this was still interesting. The name may be subliminally suggestive, and who knows how I would have felt about this one had it been simply “chocolate stout”. All I know is that each deep inhale evoked a tray of fresh, warm, old fashioned chocolate donuts with a thick translucent sugar glaze. Your dentist might not be happy with you having too many of these, but go ahead and indulge. (1,392 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +16.5%

Chocolate fudge with a healthy infusion of ruby and a large, creamy head of graham cracker brown. Dr. Dremo (actually, my bottle is labeled simply 'Chocolate Donut Stout') commits the cardinal sin of not making his stout opaque. I hope that doesn't come back to haunt him on the palate. The cap displays great persistence and I'm still waiting to see if any lace is coming my way. Unfortunately, the glass is nearly clean when the head finally disappears.

I'll be hanged. This beer smells exactly like what I would imagine a liquified chocolate donut would smell like. It's sweet and fudge-like with an impressive vanilla bean quality that I'm guessing is what makes it smell like pastry. Well done I say! If you're going to brew a chocolate donut beer, then dammit, make it smell like a chocolate donut.

Even though the flavor isn't quite as impressive, it's a near thing. Before taking a drink, I expected a hugely malty, explosively chocolatey, hypersweet, thick-bodied beer. I didn't quite get it, but it's close enough to ward off disappointment. More chocolate malt would undoubtedly help. I have no complaints about the sweetness. Maybe the brewers added confectioner's sugar?

Vanilla is still rampant and is almost as strong as chocolate. There aren't a whole lot of accessory flavors, but then a chocolate donut is a fairly simple foodstuff and I'm sure the brewers jettisoned anything that didn't lead to a 'hey, that tastes like a donut' flavor. The almost cloying sweetness would keep me from drinking more than one bottle per sitting, but it's a tasty treat when consumed 12 ounces at a time.

As suspected when I saw light on the opposite side of the glass, the body is less than full and chewy. Thanks to all the sugar, though, it still manages to be sticky, silky and slick. I won't let my dreams of oozingly luscious creaminess get in the way of rewarding the mouthfeel as it so richly deserves. Very few bubbles find their way to my tongue, but then who ever heard of a carbonated donut?

Chocolate Donut Stout (aka Dr. Dremo's Chocolate Donut Beer) is one of those 'what the hell' experiments that actually works. It's a shame that more people haven't been able to taste what those wacky brewers at Shenandoah have created. Would it be too much to ask for a cheese danish beer next? (2,304 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -6.6%

The unusual name caught my attention, but with a single sip I could see why they chose that name.

Appeared black with a frothy head that was tan colored and left behind quite a bit of lacing. Moderate level of carbonation that generated nice small bubbles along the surface. Aromas of sugar, fried bread, and soda. The taste was very much like regular soda with loads of sweetness that makes you feel like your teeth are rotting only this has alcohol in it. Overwhelming sweetness gets to be too much, like drinking a donut and so the drinkability is low. Slightly oily and viscous in my mouth giving it a nice texture. It's the lack of anything to offset the sweetness that hurts this beer. If there were some hops or spices to counteract the sweetness, it would be more complex and somewhat more balanced while remaining a sweet stout. (840 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +30.2%

Tasted on-tap 01/27/06 at Dr. Dremo's in Arlington, VA.

A fabulous funky milk chocolate looking beer that matches the funky locale of Dr. Dremo's. If it looks, smells and tastes like milk chocolate then it must be delicious ... and it is. A nice chocolatey beer in every way without being overly sweet kinda like th milk after cocoa puffs but much more robust. Very nice medium-full body and smooth - oh so easy to drink.

I'm not much for chocolate donuts; but in beer form, now you're talking ! (501 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +7.7%

You'll either love or hate this beer, but I found it to be a pleasent oddity. First off, I usually despise Shennendoah's beers, but they managed to create something pretty unique here. The best I can describe it is half stout, half milk-leftover-from-a-bowl-of-cocoa-puffs. Pretty sweet, tons of chocolate, very smooth and creamy. I don't know how many of these I could drink, but it did go down very very easily. Sweetness would probably get old after awhile. (460 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Shenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer from Shenandoah Brewing Co.