The Big DIPA - Blue Frog Grog & Grill

The Big DIPAThe Big DIPA

Blue Frog Grog & Grill visit their website

(Beer added by: Talisker on 04-21-2007)
2.75/5  rDev -4.8%

3.5/5  rDev +21.1%

2.5/5  rDev -13.5%

2.58/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A...a very hazy orange color. Off white, small head with good retention.

S...alot to be desired here, a little bit offputting actually. Unpleasant for what I expect in a dipa

T...malt forward. A little sweet. Hops come at the end. Doesn't fit the style.
I decided to eat my dinner with it to pair and, while eating spicy taco sauce this becomes quite nice.

M...nice carbonation, med body.

O...doesn't fit the style. This beer is all malt and yeast. The smell gets worse a the glass empties. This is a very poor example of a double ipa. Pairs well with spicy food but thats it. I am pretty disappointed, paid 6 bucks for this 22 oz.

2.5/5  rDev -13.5%

2.75/5  rDev -4.8%

3.2/5  rDev +10.7%

A: Very clear amber pour that hints towards orange. A few fingers of white head build up, and lace nicely down the side of my Deschutes Tulip.

S: Big malty aroma actually, mix that in with some grapefruit and hop bitterness. Can't say I was expecting this, certainly a big aroma, just not one typical of a Double IPA.

T: The maltiness follows on the taste. A ton of caramel, that is sort of fighting against hop bitterness instead of working with it. The two just don't work well together in this at all. Some fruits try to help, but fall short.

MF: Light body with a low carbonation. Decently drinkable, if only it tasted better. Dry aftertaste.

O: I wanted this to be a lot better. Flavors don't mix, smell is odd. Just a miss.

3.5/5  rDev +21.1%

3.7/5  rDev +28%

I love frogs. Hopefully I love this beer too.

Nice bottle presentation. The label is cool and the cap is sealed in wax. Score points for that I guess. This beer is a nice orange amber color. This beer came foaming to life during the pour. Made spider webs on the side of my glass. It did finally die away leaving just a little island of the mountain that was. The beer has a nice smell to it. It seems to have a nice mix of hops and malt scents. The flavor is very similar to the smell. The beer has a nice bitterness from the hops and sweetened up by the malt. I really don't get any stand out flavors other than what I already mentioned. The flavor for me is kind of standard for this type of beer style. The overall mouthfeel is nice. Maybe nicer today because it is hot and the beer is cold. No it would be fine any day. The beer is very light on the palate and with a medium amount of carbonation.

Overall this is a great beer to just drink with food because its not too dominant. I guess for this company it works well since they are selling food too. Try one for yourself. I bet that many people could drink and enjoy this beer.

2.68/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours hazy golden with a slight head. The aroma is slight but malty. The flavor is confusing - more pale ale than IPA, let alone DIPA. There is lots of toast and roasted nuts, a little earth, and a surprising lack of hops - hardly any flavor and a slight bit of bitterness. There is some grass as the beer warms, but still fairly mild. The mouthfeel is dry and a little tannic. The overall effect is puzzling and disconcerting.

1.25/5  rDev -56.7%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a shot glass. The beer pours a dark, cloudy amber-brown with no head. Very malty nose, almost overly sweet, with no trace of hops. Odd for a DIPA. Very sour initial flavor, with no real presence of hops here, either. Disappointing. Malty backbone with no other flavors to balance or blend. Very flat in mouth, with an almost syrupy consistency. Not a pleasant drink. Not much good to say about this one, so I'll just wrap it up.

Chilled bottle into a glass. From notes.

I don't think I've encountered a worse DIPA, except for the 1 year old 90 Minute IPA alfrantzell received as an extra.

A: Pours an orange-gold body with big foam head.

S: Very weak aroma of citrus, possibly some pine. There's basically no smell.

T: Muddle malt presence with some bizarre orange peel thing going on. Tastes like bad homebrew.

M: Watery, lacking in flavor, overcarbonated, muddled malt AND hop presence.

D: I kind of like Blue Frog because they allow me to point at something and prove I'm not a ridiculous homer. Don't pay for this. Just send it out in one of those mail schemes where you send a dollar to everyone on the list and you become wealthy in 2 weeks.

1.63/5  rDev -43.6%

Off the top of my head, the worst "DIPA" I've ever consumed.

Pours a light orange-y gold. Big white foam head.

Smells like ... wow, almost nothing. Huh? Some skunky malt, maybe a whiff of pine ... just a whiff, mind you, and a weird rancid citrus tone. But, it's incredibly muted. At first blush, smells like nothing.

Overcarbonated, underflavored, absolutely nothing going on here. I actually drainpoured half a bottle. OF A DIPA! Crazy. Fetid malt, watery, a bit of citrus and pine, but off and medicinal. This was truly abhorrent.

3.4/5  rDev +17.6%

This brew looks clear and amber colored with a full head of white froth and a nice sheet of lacing is left behind. The aroma brings a deep nutty barleywine-like idea with a full, sweet herbal hop. Very thick and highly delectable. The flavor offers much less sweetness and turns more to leafy/grass bitterness. I find this to be pretty acrid and perhaps a bit one-dimensional. The hops dominate and eventually mellow enough to offer a little more balance with a thick rye biscuit dry bite and a semi-sweet toffee complement. It's medium bodied with a tingly feel and fair drinkability. It grows on you but is a little harsh at first. In the end it's a quality brew but I would like the intensity mellowed just a bit with a little more sweetness. I recommend giving this a try but it isn't quite in my DIPA wheelhouse.

2.8/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

bomber poured into a Stone ipa glass

a-clear amber color , very little head that quickly dissipated

s-malty and slightly sweet with some light hops, the smell is actually quite nice

t-malty with a little bit of spice, slight orange zest, hops are missing in action, a mild sweetness with a fairly boring and flat aftertaste

m-light and dry, little carbonation

d-drinkable if you want a dipa with very little hops, not so drinkable for me because I was expecting the opposite

overall-the golden wax sealed bottle with golden hops on the front and a description stating it's "packed with way too much malt, borderline too many hops" was enticing, but a huge letdown. There's definitely too much malt, because the hops barely make it to my taste buds, or they forgot it was a dipa. It wasn't bad, but I won't be drinking this again.

2.23/5  rDev -22.8%

Man, I was hoping to love this one when it came out. I used to live in Fairfield. But alas, being a homer can only get you so far. Amber appearance, lots of clarity. Aroma was just malt smelling, where's the hops in this dipa man?

And then the taste, not to beat a dead horse, but "where's the hops man?" Tastes like some cheap homebrewer skimping on hops calling it a DIPA. I mean, yeah, you see a lot of IBUs and hops claimed in this beer, but don't tell me, let me taste it, for which I do not. Disappointing all around.

3.15/5  rDev +9%

22 oz. bottle purchased at Whole Foods Hollywood District PDX, poured into trusty Piraat Tulip 1.20.10.

Hard pour resulted in 1 finger white semi-rocky head, medium dissipation with significant lacing. Clear orange amber body, some carbonation visible. Minimal hop presence in the nose, a bit of spice, but dry bready malts predominate-the most mediocre smelling DIPA I've had. The taste is pretty sweet up front, grapefruit, meyer lemon, pears, but not much bitterness upfront or on the backend, more sweetish than bready malts. Decently smooth mouthfeel. Pretty drinkable for ABV, but for the price and style there are too many other alternatives to this unremarkable tasting beer. I'll pass next time-and the waxed cap, come on, why bother?

3.78/5  rDev +30.8%

wax sealed bomber poured into chalice...

a-clear copper color..no haze..crystal...small very fast fading head....light cap of foam...nice level of bubbles...chunky lacing..

s-malty and sweet..very little hops present in the nose..surprising for a brew labeled as a dipa....reminds me of blithering idiot in the nose...

t-sweet and overly malty...not a true dipa at this point but i dont know the freshness...maybe a change of pace...hops def present themselves with a sting...taste more like a barleywine...not a bad thing but hurts this when rated to style...finishes sweet

m-oily and thick....borderline syrupy....clings to the mouth forever...carbonation is good...and warming from the alcohol which is present..

d-suffers a bit from the syrup feel but i will have no trouble getting through this bomber...a little warm

overall a nice change of pace..not what i expected but not a bad thing...this is a good brew..maybe it has some age on it and the hops have faded...if listed as a barleywine i would have given it higher marks...a good brew that i have to thank james for...

4.03/5  rDev +39.4%

Bomber poured into my Samuel Smith's imperial pint,
The Big DIPA No. 3 is a clear pale bronze with a large, creamy light sand head leaving lots of gorgeous lace.

Smell is malty, with a pretty strong, minty hop aroma. It reminds me of EKGs, which is unusual for a Cali DIPA, but they pulled it off, as noble hop beers that are over-hopped often come off too leafy to me. There's also the stemmy bite I note in the taste.

Taste is also rather malty, with spicy, resinous hops, with a sharp bite that I can best describe as stemmy, like wood, maybe a little bit of peanut butter, a taste I've come across in Alpha Dog. And like that beer, this one didn't taste to great to me on first sip, but won me over quickly.

Mouthfeel is creamy and dry, medium bodied.

Drinkability is pretty good. From the previous reviews, I had low expectations, which I thought were validated by the first sip. But I'm glad I stuck with it, as it had a lot to offer, albeit from a different perspective from it's interstate brethren. And I can't think of anything more Californian then that. Overall, a good DIPA, a nice change of pace and a pleasant surprise.

3.7/5  rDev +28%

This beer was ok. It was really strong.

Appearance- golden color, good head, good lacing

Smell- very hoppy

Taste- very hoppy, very strong

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- It was ok. I would drink it again. Didn't realize it was from Fairfield until I got home. That was the day I met Dan Aykroyd at Bevmo.

2.48/5  rDev -14.2%

A corked 750ml bottle, over-packaged if you ask me. Poured into a shaker glass. Appears a hazed copper color with about a finger or so of bone white foam. Minimal retention and no lacing to speak of. Nose and flavor are of a good dose of caramel malt, toasted bread, some citrus and floral notes, but really nowhere near enough to claim itself a DIPA. Smells much better than it tastes. Medium in both body and carbonation. Don't care if this ever passes my lips again.

1.9/5  rDev -34.3%

Bottle from BevMo.

A - Hazy golden color with a white head.

S - Apple, sweet malt, and mild floral hops. Hops are incredibly muted for a DIPA though. This is WAY off-style.

T - Apple cider, caramel malt, mild citrus hops, alcohol, and Velveeta cheese. Hops really don't have much presence for what claims to be an 82 IBU "big DIPA."

M - Medium-bodied and rather uninteresting with average carbonation.

D - Well, not really drinkable, because it's just not very good.

Overall, this is more like a cheese cider than a DIPA. Cheese cider is of course not a real style, and this beer is a good example of why it shouldn't be. Overall, a fail. If you're looking for a beer in the bottom of a good style, then ding ding, Johnny, we've got a winner.

The Big DIPA from Blue Frog Grog & Grill