Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

The Big DIPA - Blue Frog Grog & Grill

The Big DIPAThe Big DIPA

Blue Frog Grog & Grill visit their website

Beer added by: Talisker on 04-21-2007

Chilled bottle into a glass. From notes.

I don't think I've encountered a worse DIPA, except for the 1 year old 90 Minute IPA alfrantzell received as an extra.

A: Pours an orange-gold body with big foam head.

S: Very weak aroma of citrus, possibly some pine. There's basically no smell.

T: Muddle malt presence with some bizarre orange peel thing going on. Tastes like bad homebrew.

M: Watery, lacking in flavor, overcarbonated, muddled malt AND hop presence.

D: I kind of like Blue Frog because they allow me to point at something and prove I'm not a ridiculous homer. Don't pay for this. Just send it out in one of those mail schemes where you send a dollar to everyone on the list and you become wealthy in 2 weeks.

1.28/5  rDev -55.9%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a shot glass. The beer pours a dark, cloudy amber-brown with no head. Very malty nose, almost overly sweet, with no trace of hops. Odd for a DIPA. Very sour initial flavor, with no real presence of hops here, either. Disappointing. Malty backbone with no other flavors to balance or blend. Very flat in mouth, with an almost syrupy consistency. Not a pleasant drink. Not much good to say about this one, so I'll just wrap it up.

1.57/5  rDev -45.9%

A- Golden amber with a fizzy white head that dissolves itself quickly.

S- Honestly, its pretty tough for beer to smell bad. This is pretty damn bad. Maybe because I was expecting it to smell like a DIPA and it smells more like an under-hopped amber ale.

T- Like the smell suggested, this is no DIPA. It has about as much flavor as a coors light and a similar aftertaste. I can't even describe what I'm tasting because the flavors aren't pronounced enough.

M- Overcarbonated and not thick enough for a DIPA.

D- Not sure if I'm even going to get through this one. It might be my second-ever drain pour (the first being Bud American Ale).

1.64/5  rDev -43.4%

Off the top of my head, the worst "DIPA" I've ever consumed.

Pours a light orange-y gold. Big white foam head.

Smells like ... wow, almost nothing. Huh? Some skunky malt, maybe a whiff of pine ... just a whiff, mind you, and a weird rancid citrus tone. But, it's incredibly muted. At first blush, smells like nothing.

Overcarbonated, underflavored, absolutely nothing going on here. I actually drainpoured half a bottle. OF A DIPA! Crazy. Fetid malt, watery, a bit of citrus and pine, but off and medicinal. This was truly abhorrent.

1.89/5  rDev -34.8%

Bottle from BevMo.

A - Hazy golden color with a white head.

S - Apple, sweet malt, and mild floral hops. Hops are incredibly muted for a DIPA though. This is WAY off-style.

T - Apple cider, caramel malt, mild citrus hops, alcohol, and Velveeta cheese. Hops really don't have much presence for what claims to be an 82 IBU "big DIPA."

M - Medium-bodied and rather uninteresting with average carbonation.

D - Well, not really drinkable, because it's just not very good.

Overall, this is more like a cheese cider than a DIPA. Cheese cider is of course not a real style, and this beer is a good example of why it shouldn't be. Overall, a fail. If you're looking for a beer in the bottom of a good style, then ding ding, Johnny, we've got a winner.

1.91/5  rDev -34.1%

750ml bottle purchased at San Francisco's City Beer Store - April 2007 - for $7.99. Caged cork, champagne style.

Nicely screened bottle - reads "The DIPA". "Brewed and bottledby Cica's Blue Frog Grog and Grill, Fairfield, California USA."

"OG 17.4 Plato, 83 IBU's, 8% Alc. By Vol."

"The Big DIPA. This monstrous version of our IPA has been overloaded with everything from the malt to the hops, even the tunes we rocked out to during the brew day were huge. This bottle conditioned Double India Pale Ale is abound [sic] with aromas of citrus hops, English toffee, and fresh baked biscuits. Carmel [sic] notes, hoppy lovin' and slight yeastie notes jump off your tongue.

Enjog this bottle conditioned beer in a large snifter slightly warmer than the normal [sic] with the one who keeps you warm at night.

Why?... 'Cause we can!"
I hesitate to call this beer a failure - maybe I'm just not getting its message. But not only is this not the usual California DIPA, I think it's actually not any good.

Pours an amber without much of the orange you see in other DIPAs. Very frothy white head, multi-sized bubbles, diminishes quickly with very little lace throughout.

Nose is all edgy, yeasty carbonation - almost like an overcarbonated Belgian golden ale. No citrus, no fruit, not even any malt. Downright unpleasant, and it doesn't mellow as the beer warms.

Taste is pretty much consistent with the aroma - all prickly carbonation, leavened by a little bit of yeast. No discernible hop flavor - just a slightly bitter edge. Very thin mouthfeel - at least it's not overly syrupy like too many DIPAs, but there's nearly no body at all. Hard to find any taste amidst the carbonation - maybe some breadiness, but not in a good way.

Finishes very quickly - which in this case is a blessing. The bland prickliness doesn't hang around, but unfortunately no interesting flavors are revealed in the meantime.

I found this beer off-putting at the Bistro DIPA Festival in Hayward a few months ago, but thought I would give it a proper try with this bottle. No luck. Maybe a bad bottle, maybe a lack of sophistication on my side - but this beer does not work at all.

2.03/5  rDev -30%

Initially sold-out at the La Jolla BevMo, so I thought it would be good enough to pick up when re-stocked.

a- clear orange hue, thin watery head that is mostly diminishing, slight lacing
s- subtle aromas of citrus and pine resin, strong alcohol and biscuit malt presence but noticeable lack of hop aroma!
t- initial sweet flavor with grainy malts, like other reviewers I could not detect any noticeable hop flavors, quick and stingy finish
m- watery and thin, overly carbonated
d- ugh, not very drinkable. a very unbalanced and poor quality beer that has no redeeming characteristics of its stated genre. its sad to say, but I could only finish half of this bomber before pouring out the rest. Oh well, more room for better beers!

2.07/5  rDev -28.6%

750 mL corked bottle - fairly difficult to get the damn cork out.

A: A pretty bottle with lots of sediment on the bottom - neat! Pours a cloudy medium amber color with a decent head.

S: Phew! Weird! My immediate impession was Macro Lager, oddly enough. Sort of a sour, off smell.

T: Sort of a spoiled sour cherries caked in yeast taste. Not good.

M: Good mouthfeel, oddly, until it goes down. Then, you're left with a sour chalky burn at the back half of your mouth. Instead of wanting more, I wanted some water to rinse it out.

D: None.

I almost feel like this beer was just labeled wrong ... maybe it's more of a saison or some other variety of sour beer. This tasted nothing like any IPA I've ever had. No thank you!

2.12/5  rDev -26.9%

Pours a hazy dark amber color with a huge pale off white head that resists fadig. I've got to say...it smells like as$. I mean i wanted to puke when i stuck my nose in it. The mouth feel is medium to full bodied. The flavor mirrors the nose..i couldn't keep it in my mouth long enough to describe it. I get some honey, and biscuit malts but the total package is a big let down. Amen, for the bottle art..most redeeming characteristic. i recommend avoiding this one.

2.13/5  rDev -26.6%

Picked this up at Oak Knoll Liquor and wish I hadnt. There was a nice list of ingredients on the bottle. To bad I couldnt taste any of them. Other reviews had the same experience as I.
Poured with a deep yellow, light gold with a small white head.Nose was citrus hops and nothing more. Taste was citrus hops and lots of CO2. BAD! Mouthfeel was much of the same, CO2 with a metallic taste. Something went wrong with this batch or bottling went array.

2.21/5  rDev -23.8%

This beer is a clear amber color and the smell is not very impressive. Actually it is a rather light caramel and a unique scent that I couldn't place. What really counts is the taste. The label boasts that the beer was overloaded with everything from malt to hops. It definitely is packed with flavor. Though, not all of them are good. The maltiness and hopiness do not work well together. You really have to let this beer breath like a bottle of wine. Even after that, the first sip is not impressive and the aftertaste is very bitter. The carbonation is about average. Overall, its an ok beer to drink, though for $9/750ml, there are much better options.

2.22/5  rDev -23.4%

I gaze upon this beer and I see a clear copper colored ale with a tall off-white head.

The smell is sweet and a little herbal with a little noticeable ethanol in the scent. Hops are pretty much missing for a DIPA.

The taste begins neutral in sweetness and with a little herbal taste. WHERE ARE THE HOPS? I have had quite a few of the super IPA class beers and they all had lots of hops, except this one. Mildly fruity taste and a little herbal but this isn't a DIPA.

The mouthfeel is thin.

It doesn't taste bad; this just isn't remotely a DIPA. This could be an average Belgian Strong Pale Ale, but it isn't a hop bomb by any stretch of the term.

2.26/5  rDev -22.1%

Man, I was hoping to love this one when it came out. I used to live in Fairfield. But alas, being a homer can only get you so far. Amber appearance, lots of clarity. Aroma was just malt smelling, where's the hops in this dipa man?

And then the taste, not to beat a dead horse, but "where's the hops man?" Tastes like some cheap homebrewer skimping on hops calling it a DIPA. I mean, yeah, you see a lot of IBUs and hops claimed in this beer, but don't tell me, let me taste it, for which I do not. Disappointing all around.

2.53/5  rDev -12.8%

A corked 750ml bottle, over-packaged if you ask me. Poured into a shaker glass. Appears a hazed copper color with about a finger or so of bone white foam. Minimal retention and no lacing to speak of. Nose and flavor are of a good dose of caramel malt, toasted bread, some citrus and floral notes, but really nowhere near enough to claim itself a DIPA. Smells much better than it tastes. Medium in both body and carbonation. Don't care if this ever passes my lips again.

2.54/5  rDev -12.4%

My, saw this at BevMo and could not resist. Very nicely packaged -- caged and corked, no less -- DIPA. Appears to have potential.

Appearance: Slightly hazy egg yoke orange. Head needed a bit of coaxing, but a creamy, moderate berg with fairly good retention and what appears to be lively carbonation.

Smell: Hmmm... uh... well, you kind of have to look for it, but I find a bit of of typical citrus, herb, a bit of bread and yeast, slightly cardboardy malt bill. Meh.

Taste: What is going on here? This is the second DIPA in as many sittings with this profile. Super herbal -- almost pilsner -- hops, a bit metallic, with a thin, dry papery malt bill and an almost salty yeast finish. No fruit from the hops, no body from the malt. It's overly spicy, tight, sharp, shrill -- it just ain't no fun.

Mouthfeel: Again, no picnic. A bit heavy on the carbonation, a bit light on body or hop oil smoothness. And, again, meh.

Drinkability: Quite pricey and, bluntly, just not that good. It's a great bottle, but it needs to be filled with a better beer.

2.57/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A...a very hazy orange color. Off white, small head with good retention.

S...alot to be desired here, a little bit offputting actually. Unpleasant for what I expect in a dipa

T...malt forward. A little sweet. Hops come at the end. Doesn't fit the style.
I decided to eat my dinner with it to pair and, while eating spicy taco sauce this becomes quite nice.

M...nice carbonation, med body.

O...doesn't fit the style. This beer is all malt and yeast. The smell gets worse a the glass empties. This is a very poor example of a double ipa. Pairs well with spicy food but thats it. I am pretty disappointed, paid 6 bucks for this 22 oz.

2.61/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Pumpkin orange color that’s rich and cloudy. Linen colored head with medium and large bubbles. As the head dissipates it leaves lacy swirls on the glass.

S: Not much smell, just some very faint pine, shellac and mineral essence.

T: Harsh and acidic, all I taste is paint thinner mixed with resin. The mouth is filled with bitterness like an unripe pineapple. Some faint pine is the only real hop characteristic found.

M: Medium body, with large sharp bubbles.

D: :drainpour:

2.68/5  rDev -7.6%

Kind of a mess. Cloudy orange with a frothy off-white head. Grassy, piney hops, oats, cereal, and grapefruit in the nose. Caramel and citrusy hops are prevalent, but there is also a lot of soap and a metallic bitterness. Finish is earthy and wheaty. Not worth the price.

2.68/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours hazy golden with a slight head. The aroma is slight but malty. The flavor is confusing - more pale ale than IPA, let alone DIPA. There is lots of toast and roasted nuts, a little earth, and a surprising lack of hops - hardly any flavor and a slight bit of bitterness. There is some grass as the beer warms, but still fairly mild. The mouthfeel is dry and a little tannic. The overall effect is puzzling and disconcerting.

2.71/5  rDev -6.6%

A mediocre DIPA with an unforgivable lack of hop flavor. DIPAs need to do exactly one thing right: provide a huge hop experience. Sure, it's nice for the beer to be good otherwise, and I imagine you need to know what you're doing in order to highlight the hops properly. However, it doesn't mean much if you fail to provide a big hop flavor, and Blue Frog's DIPA misses the mark in exactly this way. It's not a horrible beer, but particularly compared to other DIPAs, it's just not very good.

At any rate, it's a nice looking beer with a strong head and good orange color. Unfortunately, it begins to lose points when you bring the glass to your nose. There are some lingering oily hop notes, but they're weak and seriously underwhelming when compared to the giants of the style that have, in my opinion, some of the finest smells in the beer world. The taste is a similar but worse failing. The hops are relatively weak compared to what you would expect from an 8% abv DIPA. For me, it even seemed a bit stale with acrid yeast notes coming through. My bottle was pretty fresh from the store, and while it may have sat on the shelf for some time, I haven't had similar problems with other beers. Of course, I would prefer to taste it fresh as possible at the brewery, but if a beer is that perishable, maybe it shouldn't be distributed in this manner at all. There is some citrus flavor and it's not particularly hard to imagine a good version of the beer being produced. So, I guess I just wish them luck with improving the character and richness of the beer in the future.

2.72/5  rDev -6.2%

750ml brown bottle silk screened graphics and the corked and caged finish have a nice look. Beer needed a bit of force to get a decent loose bubbly white head. Light orange body with a touch of a chill haze.

Hmmmm. While I don't find many glaring flaws I don't find much to get excited about either. Seemed more like a weak amber ale than anything to do with a Pale, IPA or much less a DIPA. Good god man who comes up with the beer styles over at Blue Frog. There is an underlying slightly toasted but more bready malt base. Watered down candied fig and a drying hop presence mainly in mouthfeel and nothing more. Dissapointing to say the least.

Notes: Seeing a new beer sometimes gets the best of me. I thought about just picking up one but I picked up 3 and for the price I"m pretty much let down. If you like an overpriced boring watered down amber ale pick this up today!!

2.76/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Purchased for about $9...I sure hope this is worth it...and based on the previous reviews, I'm worried.

A: Cloudy/muddy amber with a 3 finger semi-fizzy white head that does leave lacing.

S: Biscuity malts and a touch of hops. Hmmm, this is supposed to be a DIPA - where are the rest of the hops?

T: Biscuity malts with some kind of artificial tasting hops. When I had the first sip, I was wondering where the hops were. In fact, I thought this was pretty bad. But, as it's warmed up, the hops came out a bit more. They are still quite weak...pale to ipa level, but definitely not DIPA. Bummer.

M: Decent mouthfeel. Relatively carbonated.

D: Ehhhh, it's boring and not all that well made, so drinkability is not high.

Not recommended. Way too expensive for a mediocre beer. I'm 0 for 2 so far from them. I think I'll avoid anything else from them unless I hear something positive.

2.79/5  rDev -3.8%

I wish I had read the review before mine before I picked this up.
Oh well...let's see how I feel about it. Fill date on my bottle is less than 30 days ago.

Pours a cloudy orange with a large craggy slightly off-white head that surprisingly doesn't stick much but does hang around a while.

Aroma is fruity hops and an unfortunate sour butter smell.

Sharply bitter citrus hops hit the tongue first with very little of the malt sweetness you would expect from a DIPA. Hops are definitely present however along with a strong alcohol....both elements missing from the previous reviewer's bottle. Flavor continues with the bitter citrus peel hops as you continue with your drink. I can't really identify either the type of hops nor even the kind of citrus I'm tasting...probably a blend of several.

Aftertaste is drying and sort of nice....especially for a DIPA since there is absolutely NO sticky, sweet residue.

Mouthfeel is comfortable but a little thin.

Not world-class...not great...but not too bad either. And (probably due to the high ABV) I am enjoying it more the more of the 750 ml I consume. Not worth the high price, however.

I may come back and re-evaluate my scores when I uncork the other bottle I bought.

2.8/5  rDev -3.4%

Regal looking appearance caged & corked 750 mL painted label bottle declaring OG 17.4 plato, 83 IBU's, [sic] 8% ABV and "overloaded with hops and malts. [Improper label grammar is always a thorn in my side.]

Pours with an unusually light pale peach hue topped with a scant, vanishing thin khaki wafer of splotchy collar coating leaving zero residual lace in the glass.

Nose is a diluted malty soup that evokes hints of metallic smells. With my best efforts, aroma is asleep at the switch here. At least there is a flavor to counterbalance the lack of bouquet. Afterall, don't we hop heads seek aroma?

First swigs: Blitzkrieg of copper brassy hops and orange peel. This is a rough mettalic 2IPA. Middle of foamy frothy tangerine. A moderate bittering factor evolves, but bittering alone not does make a 2IPA.

Feel is lacking hop zest and lingering bitter finish. Needs more full balance. Feels and tastes more like a IPA in all respects. A tad too foamy. Compliment: Sturdy balanced finish albeit not bold.

Last swigs: Perhaps this is actually a big English style IPA. Bottle info espouses "English toffee, and fresh baked biscuits. Carmel notes, hoppy lovin' and slight yeastie notes." Seems difficult to find. Picked up on a whim from Hi-Time in Costa Mesa, CA. If this were a pale ale, it would be excellent, but as a big ole 2IPA it misses the mark.

Beer is good. Happy acurate beering.

Beer is good. Happy better English 2IPA beering.

2.83/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a hazy orange with a thin head and little lacing. Smell is mostly alcohol with a hint of earthy bitterness. Taste is dry, a little thin, and a little hot. There is a slightly harsh graininess and a tad of sweetness and citrus hops on the finish. Lacks power and a real hop profile. Medium bodied and fairly spritzy. At $8.50 for the cork and caged bottle, this is a disappointment.

The Big DIPA from Blue Frog Grog & Grill