2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

The Big DIPA - Blue Frog Grog & Grill

The Big DIPAThe Big DIPA

Blue Frog Grog & Grill visit their website

(Beer added by: Talisker on 04-21-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 63 | Reviews: 55 | Show All Ratings:
DogFood11

2.73/5  rDev -5.5%

750ml brown bottle silk screened graphics and the corked and caged finish have a nice look. Beer needed a bit of force to get a decent loose bubbly white head. Light orange body with a touch of a chill haze.

Hmmmm. While I don't find many glaring flaws I don't find much to get excited about either. Seemed more like a weak amber ale than anything to do with a Pale, IPA or much less a DIPA. Good god man who comes up with the beer styles over at Blue Frog. There is an underlying slightly toasted but more bready malt base. Watered down candied fig and a drying hop presence mainly in mouthfeel and nothing more. Dissapointing to say the least.

Notes: Seeing a new beer sometimes gets the best of me. I thought about just picking up one but I picked up 3 and for the price I"m pretty much let down. If you like an overpriced boring watered down amber ale pick this up today!!

05-22-2007 04:53:38 | More by DogFood11
ChillMike

Alabama

3.15/5  rDev +9%

Went to Bevmo today, didn't even have an intention on picking up any beer, but this caught the corner of my eye, and there is NO way I can turn down a Double IPA. So let's check it out.

A: Pours a very murky dark orange color, almost an unfiltered look? It's accompanied by a massive bright white frothy head that is slow to fade away, leaves a very small bit of lacing around the glass. 4.0

S:The first thing I notice is a decent amount of caramelly malts (hmmm this is an IPA right?), also accompanied by hints of piney malts, chocolate and coffee. That's all I'm getting out of this, not bad but not what I'd expect from a double IPA. 3.5

T:Ummm ok, I'm still not buying that this is an IPA. It tastes way too much like a belgian....sort of like a poor impression of Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel. That out of the way let's see the first thing that hits me is a sweet bubblegum flavor, very smooth toffee, caramel malts that lead way to some bitterness, and it leaves a very pleasant aftertaste. 3.0

MF: A little bit watery and I did expect it to pack more of a punch to the tongue, it's rather light. It's not bad for a beer, but it is average for what claims to be a double IPA. 3.0

D:See this category is a bit hard to judge, because I was expecting a ballsy hit you in the face with hops DIPA, unfortunately it's closer to a Belgian Ipa more than anything, and on that level it does fairly well....sooo I'll go 3.0

Overall I have to say I was disappointed, only because this really (to me) is more of a Belgian IPA, and not a DIPA...I donno. A bit disappointing

05-20-2007 04:44:30 | More by ChillMike
blitheringidiot

2.85/5  rDev -1.4%

Regal looking appearance caged & corked 750 mL painted label bottle declaring OG 17.4 plato, 83 IBU's, [sic] 8% ABV and "overloaded with hops and malts. [Improper label grammar is always a thorn in my side.]

Pours with an unusually light pale peach hue topped with a scant, vanishing thin khaki wafer of splotchy collar coating leaving zero residual lace in the glass.

Nose is a diluted malty soup that evokes hints of metallic smells. With my best efforts, aroma is asleep at the switch here. At least there is a flavor to counterbalance the lack of bouquet. Afterall, don't we hop heads seek aroma?

First swigs: Blitzkrieg of copper brassy hops and orange peel. This is a rough mettalic 2IPA. Middle of foamy frothy tangerine. A moderate bittering factor evolves, but bittering alone not does make a 2IPA.

Feel is lacking hop zest and lingering bitter finish. Needs more full balance. Feels and tastes more like a IPA in all respects. A tad too foamy. Compliment: Sturdy balanced finish albeit not bold.

Last swigs: Perhaps this is actually a big English style IPA. Bottle info espouses "English toffee, and fresh baked biscuits. Carmel notes, hoppy lovin' and slight yeastie notes." Seems difficult to find. Picked up on a whim from Hi-Time in Costa Mesa, CA. If this were a pale ale, it would be excellent, but as a big ole 2IPA it misses the mark.

Beer is good. Happy acurate beering.

Beer is good. Happy better English 2IPA beering.

05-17-2007 04:41:54 | More by blitheringidiot
IntriqKen

2.8/5  rDev -3.1%

I wish I had read the review before mine before I picked this up.
Oh well...let's see how I feel about it. Fill date on my bottle is less than 30 days ago.

Pours a cloudy orange with a large craggy slightly off-white head that surprisingly doesn't stick much but does hang around a while.

Aroma is fruity hops and an unfortunate sour butter smell.

Sharply bitter citrus hops hit the tongue first with very little of the malt sweetness you would expect from a DIPA. Hops are definitely present however along with a strong alcohol....both elements missing from the previous reviewer's bottle. Flavor continues with the bitter citrus peel hops as you continue with your drink. I can't really identify either the type of hops nor even the kind of citrus I'm tasting...probably a blend of several.

Aftertaste is drying and sort of nice....especially for a DIPA since there is absolutely NO sticky, sweet residue.

Mouthfeel is comfortable but a little thin.

Not world-class...not great...but not too bad either. And (probably due to the high ABV) I am enjoying it more the more of the 750 ml I consume. Not worth the high price, however.

I may come back and re-evaluate my scores when I uncork the other bottle I bought.

05-12-2007 02:07:29 | More by IntriqKen
Talisker

1.93/5  rDev -33.2%

750ml bottle purchased at San Francisco's City Beer Store - April 2007 - for $7.99. Caged cork, champagne style.

Nicely screened bottle - reads "The DIPA". "Brewed and bottledby Cica's Blue Frog Grog and Grill, Fairfield, California USA."

"OG 17.4 Plato, 83 IBU's, 8% Alc. By Vol."

"The Big DIPA. This monstrous version of our IPA has been overloaded with everything from the malt to the hops, even the tunes we rocked out to during the brew day were huge. This bottle conditioned Double India Pale Ale is abound [sic] with aromas of citrus hops, English toffee, and fresh baked biscuits. Carmel [sic] notes, hoppy lovin' and slight yeastie notes jump off your tongue.

Enjog this bottle conditioned beer in a large snifter slightly warmer than the normal [sic] with the one who keeps you warm at night.

Why?... 'Cause we can!"
I hesitate to call this beer a failure - maybe I'm just not getting its message. But not only is this not the usual California DIPA, I think it's actually not any good.

Pours an amber without much of the orange you see in other DIPAs. Very frothy white head, multi-sized bubbles, diminishes quickly with very little lace throughout.

Nose is all edgy, yeasty carbonation - almost like an overcarbonated Belgian golden ale. No citrus, no fruit, not even any malt. Downright unpleasant, and it doesn't mellow as the beer warms.

Taste is pretty much consistent with the aroma - all prickly carbonation, leavened by a little bit of yeast. No discernible hop flavor - just a slightly bitter edge. Very thin mouthfeel - at least it's not overly syrupy like too many DIPAs, but there's nearly no body at all. Hard to find any taste amidst the carbonation - maybe some breadiness, but not in a good way.

Finishes very quickly - which in this case is a blessing. The bland prickliness doesn't hang around, but unfortunately no interesting flavors are revealed in the meantime.

I found this beer off-putting at the Bistro DIPA Festival in Hayward a few months ago, but thought I would give it a proper try with this bottle. No luck. Maybe a bad bottle, maybe a lack of sophistication on my side - but this beer does not work at all.

04-21-2007 03:48:00 | More by Talisker