Imperial Stout - Marble Brewery

New Mexico, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: Lovely85 on 12-24-2013

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%

A- Dark brown, nearly black body. Opaque, thick, foreboding. One finger offwhite head, no retention time, thin collar, no lacing.

S- Vanilla, oak. When I smelled this, I was a bit flummoxed. I still am, because this screams bourbon barrel aging of some kind, even if it is only partially barrel-aged. Roasted malt, a little bit of cocoa and espresso rounds it out. Nice complexity, very forward nose.

F- If I had any doubts that there was any kind of bourbon barrel aging in this beer, tasting it makes it a lot harder for me to keep these doubts. Oak, vanilla, mild smoke, nice cocoa, dark chocolate, dollop of espresso, a bit of booze. Not sure where some of these flavours are coming from if this is a straight imperial stout, as it is described on the taplist. So, I'll have to assume that I'm crazy and my palate is wrong. But it's good.

M- Medium-thinner bodied, lower in carbonation, a bit sticky but otherwise silky smooth. Oaky with a bit of burn on the aftertaste.

O- Decent imperial stout. Not one of the best, but it's certainly interesting and not terrible. I would have liked a little bit of body and less ABV, but going in and assuming that this is a straight non-BA imperial stout did lower expectations a bit.

Imperial Stout from Marble Brewery
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.