Follow our progress ...

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 4
3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

Growler filled 5/9/12
poured in Cigar City Snifter

Appearance: Very dark crimson/blood color. Very deep, and not very translucent. Small off-white head with some sticky lacing.

Smell: Definite alcohol phenols, some vinous notes, lots of dark fruits (I get some raisin and plum), and black licorice.

Taste: Wow, lots of alcohol initially. I get lots of the dark fruit and licorice that was on the nose, along with some noticeable yeast flavor (which works very nicely). Very low hoppiness, and the malt seems to finish kind of "bready," which seems to be on par for the style. Nothing terribly exciting here.

Mouthfeel: Comfortable mouthfeel, very smooth and easy drinking. Carbonation isn't too strong, and it's definitely keeping the beer from seeming syrupy or thick.

Overall: A noble attempt at a classic BSDA. It's a style I'm not particularly wowed by, but I feel like this was a solid execution. I'm happy to see Marble move farther into new styles. As much as I like the idea behind the BSDA, I'd so much prefer a Berliner Weisse or Oud Bruin...just sayin'

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

Apperance: Looks surprisingly like red wine. I expected more of a brown color.

Smell: Strong notes of port wine and licorous. A fairly pungent beer. Slightly medicinal as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel: More port, licorous, and medicinal herbs. There's the presence of a porter or a stout as well. Very enjoyable taste. Clean finish.

Overall: A great beer for wine lovers.

Abbey Darkness from Marble Brewery
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.