Kvas - All Stars Bakery

pDev: 14%
All Stars Bakery visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Kvass |  0.50% ABV

Kvas is a non-alcoholic cereal beverage which is produced from Sourdough Rye Bread, Malt and Sugar. Kvas has a golden-brown color, the pleasant flavor of Rye Bread, low sweetness and sufficient carbonate to give Kvas a sparkle on the palate.

(Beer added by: Derek on 05-04-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
2.55/5  rDev -27.1%

Thanks to my aunt for finding one of these after I told her of the other Kvass I had, I would never have found it! The look is a bit scary, dark, murky. The other Kvass I had was more beer looking. The smell was very nice, lots of yeast.

The taste wasn't what I was expecting. A little tart, more like sourdough bread but not enough flavor for me.

Mouthfeel was odd but not bad, went down pretty smooth.

Overall I prefer the Beaver Brewing Kvass, but this is ok if you really need one!

2.58/5  rDev -26.3%

group tasting at Derek's place. Derek contributed this one, so thanks!

2 litre plastic bottle. sampled aug 7/09.

pours hazy light brown with raisins floating on top. a big tan head forms, dropping fast and leaving a bit of lace.

aroma is kind of foul. feet. rotting fruit. alcohol. rye and grain. fish. feet. socks. touch of sourness. bit of chocolate. earth. do i really want to taste this?

taste is not nearly as bad as the aroma. bit of toffee and caramel. light sweetness. rye bread. grain. light alcohol. raisin. bit of date. bit of feet and earthy character, but less of the foul/rotted character i got in the aroma.

mouthfeel is ok. medium-light body. just over medium carbonation level.

drinkability is ok. i'm glad i only had a small sample and i won't go back for more, but it is relatively unoffensive if you don't smell it.

2.7/5  rDev -22.9%

Served in a tulip glass...probably better than this beer deserved.

Thanks to TMoney2591 for constantly bringing an ungodly amount of kvass around.

This beer pours a dark color as would always be expected, with a light beige foam on the surface. The aromatic smelled of...human emissions. There's really no other way to say it. I assume this was carbonated with methane. The taste actually wasn't all that bad. It was the best tasting of any kvass that I've had. But that's like saying I'm the smartest kid in Remedial English. This is pretty slick in the mouthfeel. This drinks okay, but it's hard to get past the overall experience.

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%

2.9/5  rDev -17.1%

Appearance - uncaps with a rush of carbonation. A bit of a mess as I wasn't ready for that. I pour a mix of foam and fluid into a pint glass. An extreme formation of light tan foam fades back to nil, despite obvious activity below the surface. Lots of sediment and the remainder in the two-liter bottle has a rather disgusting looking plug of slimy brown rye bread on top that looks pretty much like, well, I won't say it. The beer in the glass is notably better-looking, a cloudy muddy reddish brown.

Aroma - very bready and raw, a little like tuna salad on a Saltine cracker, lol. Very unusual and I can't say I'm a fan. Maybe I should have this with some tuna salad? ;-)

Taste/Mouthfeel - sweet, diluted, and bready. Very unusual, but somewhat palatable. The sweetness is obviously raisin-flavored. The malts from the rye bread are essentially undetectable. There is a nice creaminess here, as well as a mouth-filling fluffiness as each drink unleashes lots of bubbles inside the mouth. After a bit, some of the rye flavor works its way in, but it's reminding me of the whole tuna thing. Not near as bad after a while but it does take some acclimation.

Drinkability - as no one at DLD was brave enough to venture into this, it looks like I'll be polishing off the entire two-liter bottle over the course of several nights. Can't say I'm looking forward to it but maybe I'll get some Russian culture and education into the style over a series of tastings. Budem!

2.9/5  rDev -17.1%

Gotta give this motherfucker a 5 for appearance as this brewery does not fuck around. Served from a goddamn 2 liter plastic bottle with a screw cap. I respect the shit out of this already and I have not gotten to my two favorite parts. They put the goddamn nutritional facts on there which is lovely as who the fuck does not want to know what the exact makeup of the nutritious concoction that is about to fill one's gullet? This guy does. And now for the best part...in the bottle floating around like deer shit on the 9th hole's fairway are motherfucking raisins. I'm not sure what the exact name is for the trifecta of a 2 liter plastic bottle, nutritional information, and raisins, but I'm pretty certain it's known as the "Tripel MotherFucking Crown".

Anywho..."beer" poured into some vessel looking like the abandoned stepchild of Dr. Pepper, Dr. Skipper (who is not an MD, but a DO). Raisin look as delicious as ever. Head is not much, but I think that most will agree that the raisins more than make up for it. Surprisingly I'm not loving the smell. A little bit of burnt rubber and bread along with soda. Taste is a little better with a lot of bread and other things. Carbonation is fine.

Not a beer that I will drink again, but goddamn...we have reached a new level of packaging.

2.93/5  rDev -16.3%

(Served in an America pint glass)
A- This beer pours a dense murky brown body with a thick light tan head and chunks of jetsam banging around that turn out to be raisins and yeast chunks.

S- The yeasty cola note has a white plastic note that finishes with a septic aroma. As the beer opens the septic aroma takes on more of a hair perm tartness with some soy sauce qualities.

T- The slight sweetness of prunes finish with a bit more sweetness and a bread yeast quality with some fruity cola notes coming through. There is a bread crust note that comes through as it opens aswell.

M- The big scrubbing fizz leads to a thin light mouthfeel.

O- The sweet fizzy concoction is interesting but doesn’t have much depth and the odd smell makes it hard to take another sip. I keep sipping hoping to find some old ale or flanders red qualities in the dark fruit and tartness but they just aren’t there.

2.93/5  rDev -16.3%

Thanks to the guy who brought the Kvass at a recent tasting. I never thought I'd get the opportunity! Supposedly, this is one of the better commercially available examples of this style. That's what we were told, I can't confirm this one way or the other...hehe

Well, it looked exactly like it does in the picture. A dirty brown body, extremely fizzy head. Raisins were floating around in the bottle.

In all honesty, the aroma was pretty rank. It smelled like rotting raisins - a general "garbage" smell. It smelled like something I did not want to drink.

Thankfully, it at least did not taste like licking the bottom of a garbage can. It was a good deal of slightly tart/sour AND sweet raisins, and rye bread, with some funk. Very bready, like a raisin-bread soda if that makes any sense. Not bad. It was not my thing, but I can't say it was "bad."

It looked like a fizzy soda, and it felt like one. Highly carbonated, which I assume is fine for the style.

I'm glad I was able to try it, but it was not my thing. It did seem like a perfectly decent Kvass per style guidelines, though, so I'll punt on drinkability.

Is there any way that this could be brewed so as NOT to smell like a pile of rancid garbage? That would be my main complaint.

3.15/5  rDev -10%

A thanks to woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a clear plastic 2 liter bottle. Has a cola color with a 1 inch head, considerable carbonation. Smell is of molasses, malts. Taste is bready, rye, molasses, not bad but not great either. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a mediocre beer.

3.18/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Served from a two liter clear plastic soda bottle. Pours a cloudy pale mahogany with a two finger tall foamy tan head. The head reduces but leaves a fairly thick layer over the entire surface of the beer, even thicker at the edges of the glass. Significant lacing is observed and there are some floating raisins in the bottle though none made it into my glass.

S: Extremely bready with some subtle hints of dark fruit sweetness. There is a definite element of rye bread. Very yeasty smelling.

T: Again the taste follows the aroma, very strong flavors of bready malts and rye bread with some subtle dark fruit hints from the raisins. Lots of yeasty flavors like drinking a slice of a nice rye bread.

M: Light to medium bodied with low to moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly syrupy like soda.

O: Kvass is a very interesting style and something I had not ever had before, I'm thinking this is more of an acquired taste that something one tries and loves the first time. The beer was easy to drink though not something I would personally want to have a lot of...

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

3.28/5  rDev -6.3%

Grabbed this at a Russian food store in Montreal, Absolut Plus. The woman told me to open it carefully because it's like champagne she said. Well, i slowly unscrewed the 2L plastic pop bottle and...

Appearance: A literal explosion as the foam kept gushing out of the bottle for a good 5 minutes! After 2 rags and putting the bottle in a large bowl, it was still streaming out like foamy lava. I decided to pour anyways because we could be here all night staring at it. The body was a dark brownish color and saw some raisins and other things floating in the bottle. None of this was off-putting save for the massive explosion. I didn't care for that at all.

Smell: Sourdough, vinegar, raisins and my wife can pick out the rye. Bread-like but not in the fresh baked way. Different for sure but not offensive, to me anyways.

Taste: Sweet at first with some sourness rounding things off. I can taste the rye now which is more in the aftertaste as well as dried raisins. Again, strange but it's not bad.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated for sure (it is a soda) but not as strong as i would have thought given the beginning it had. Kind of leaves a bit of a film on the palate. Not a strong body though it has a pretty clean finish.

Drinkability: I did finish one glass with a few sips to my wife but this is not something i would have often. Once in a blue moon is fine with me.

Overall: An interesting experiment that may be ok in small doses but 2L is way too big. I'd split this with 5-6 people at least. Glad to have tried it and it wasn't a drainpour at least.

3.28/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2L bottle with a plastic screw top shared by the Thorpe's. спасибо!

The beer looks like a cola: dark brown with a small head that fades rapidly, leaving virtually no lacing. The aroma is weak, offering some sweet malt, sugar, bread, caramel syrup. The flavor is akin to a sweet cola, like Dr. Pepper or Mr. Pibb. As this is only my second time with this style, I suppose this is my new favorite kvass. I actually drank my whole glass and didn't hurl, so it's obviously an improvement from my initial experience. The sweetness of the beer becomes a bit much after a while. One glass was interesting and educational, but I wasn't going back for seconds.

3.4/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a dark brown, like a Belgium without head. A natural carbonation, arising from the bacteria similar to a Russian yogurt drink, and the mouthfeel similar. The bacteria, which is good guy bacteria, interacts in the mouth for an hour and fills you up and dries out the throat as if I had a glass of vodka. There are real raisins floating in the bottle. The taste is a little Belgium, rasiny, a tad of rye. Jeff, owner of the All Star Bakery said to not let it ferment as the alcohol will shoot up from 0.5% after a few weeks in the fridge.An interesting beverage, suggested by Derek.

3.4/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

2 liter pop bottle, been meaning to try this one for a while! Thanks Derek!

Pours a very hazy and ruddy dark reddish brown, like cola or root beer, thick and fizzy tan head forms, settles down to a thin ring and leaves some chunks of lace on the glass. Smell is weird, very bready, rye, very sharp, raisins, fruit, sulphurous, some herbal aromatics going on, very strange. Taste is actually not bad, very sweet and raisiny, brown sugar, root beer, cola, rye, lightly spicy in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with high carbonation. Still can't decide if I liked this, very interesting stuff! Thanks Derek.

3.43/5  rDev -2%

The helpful folks stacking European veggies at the Yummy Market were unanimous in their endorsement of this particular Kvas, over the other dozen or so brands that they offer. "All Natural" seemed to be the selling point. For 3 bucks per 2 Liter pop bottle, I wasn't going to argue.

Laying on its side in the fridge for a day or so, lots of natural ingredients fell out of solution, or maybe were never dissolved in the first place. Upon cracking open the bottle, lots of floaties were evident. The good kind, the kind listed right on the label - raisins and soaked rye bread crumbs.

This beverage pours a cloudy dishwater orange-brown, with soda-like bubbles clinging to the glass, a few fingers of creamy beige head, which leaves some pretty substantial lace as it quickly recedes. It smells like a cross between raw rye bread dough, and freshly inoculated wine must - yeasty, carbonic and a little fruity. The taste lives up to its name - it's sweet like a soft drink, a winey, spiced bread soft drink. It's very much like drinking a filtered (somewhat) fermenting grain beverage. I can smell the yeast, but not really taste it, as the sweet raisiny maltiness takes precedence. The carbonation comes across, mated with the flavour, very much like flat pop. The body is actually decently full, and smooth - a whole lot of heavy grain will do that. This finishes sweet, like the echo of raisin pie after you had that last bite at the nth holiday party...

I don't think this will be supplanting my normal soft drink choices, even if I had the choice, but it is surprisingly drinkable, in moderate amounts, which would severely limit its appeal to the soda drinkers on this continent.

3.43/5  rDev -2%

I stopped by the Russian Market near work today and purchased this odd beverage in a two liter bottle. They had this in the fridge and it was damn cold when I pulled it out. I guess I should have read the reviews first then I would have known to open this over the sink. I was careful when opening to release the pressure slowly, but once I got the cap all the way off I wasn't quick enough with the pour. Dark brown liquid poured into my glass as well as a good 4 inches of bubbly tan head. Lots of sticky lace down the sides of my glass. There's a weird spicy tart smell in there along with some sweetness in the background, raisins and prunes come to mind if you drenched them in molasses. I'm almost afraid to taste it. The taste isn't as bad as the aroma led me to believe. This one is definitely sweet but has a rough tart edge to it. Malty, caramel, molasses, prunes, raisins. Kind of thick body like drinking unfermented carbonated wort. Lots of bubbles and syrupy mouth coating. This is weird, but it really kind of grew on me. It's more soda than beer. Interesting, but this is probably the only time I will drink this unless I happen to be in Russia, or at East End.

3.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Thorpe and Thorpette for sharing this with me yesterday morning. At the time of this review this is the #2 Kvas on the best of beeradvocate lists. Poured into a pint glass.

Beer is heavily over carbonated, it is a gusher for a long time, overall it is dirty brown with yeast floaties in it and some raisins on the top of the beer. The head is brown / off white and has some odd flecks of brown in it, the head is big and has some retention, carbonation high.

Aroma is a little off putting, mild rye, sweet molasses, some sugar / caramel. It just smells off a little.

Fortunately beer tastes better than it smells. It is thin, soda-like in the mouthfeel and flavor. Almost like a Dr. Pepper or another soda. Sweet, bready, mild yeast, pseudo-dry finish. An odd one but one of the better ones I've had. I went back for more.

On a personal / ticking note, this review finishes off one of my reviewing goals on beeradvocate, at this time I have reviewed a top 3 beer from every style (all 104) on beeradvocate.

3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

Tasted On: 08-01-2011
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 2L plastic bottle
Glassware: Tulip pint
Purchased: Single from Aleksey's Market, Nashville

A: Pours a murky, dark brown with some red qualities. Head is 3-4 fingers of tan color. The first pour had a good amount of retention but in later pours, the head was gone in an instant. No lacing to speak of. I should mention there are raisins and/or pieces of bread floating in the bottle!

S: Aroma is very bready and has a sour quality that is kind of unpleasant. Label says it has sourdough and rye breads, so I'm guessing that's the nature of this aroma.

T: The taste is much better than it smells, thankfully. Sweet, similar to a cola (but not as sweet as a cola), with molasses and caramel flavors. Also definitely get the raisin taste.

M: Body is fairly thin with a high level of carbonation. Aftertaste is very cola-like in the sweet caramel flavors, with also some lingering breadiness.

O: This is easy to drink due to the cola-like qualities, along with the interesting bread notes. I don't care for the aroma that much due to the sourness, but I'd have this one again.

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

2 liter plastic bottle ($3.49), picked it up last week from the local Russian/European food store here in far East Columbus. Served in a pint glass, the brew pours a hazy dark reddish/brown color with about a half inch tan head that fizzled away quickly. Not much lacing. There's also what I think are raisins floating around in the bottle, it looks cool just because of that. Aroma is pretty unusual (but then I haven't had many kvass brews either), it smells like sourdough and dark bread, molasses and a bit of sewer gas (that's the closest thing I can compare the unpleasant smell to), raisins and prunes. If you can get past the aroma, this does taste a lot better than it smells. It's mostly sweet, it tastes like dark bread (rye), molasses, and raisins/prunes. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, and it has moderate/high carbonation. Other than the weird aroma (which I got used to the longer I drank it), I liked this brew a lot. I'd buy this again, I thought it was nice and tasty.

3.65/5  rDev +4.3%

Picked up at Yummy Market on Dufferin - a good spot to pick up some Russian specialities. The alcohol for this is at the low end of the range (practically non-alcoholic, although that could be changed by leaving it out on the counter for a few days.

Cloudy oak coloured pour with a bubbly head that had completely faded after a minute. Rye and raisin aroma with a touch of sulphur and coffee grounds. The initial hit is light sulphur, but this gives way to a bready sweetness, some black tea and weak coffee, as well as sugar soaked raisins. Really, it seems a closer relative to a soda than beer, but a tad more fermentation, and I can see this becoming more familiar. Even if it is closer to a soda, it has a lot more depth than one, and is quite pleasing on those grounds. Its a bit too sweet for my liking, and I'm not a big fan of soft drinks, but its probably fitting for the style. I could also see it being very refreshing in the summer. The carbonation is light and short-lived on the tongue, and the body is light-medium. Strangely drying - not immediately, but a few minutes later.

Strange, strange drink. From reading the reviews of other kvass, this sound like one of the better examples of the style, hence the slightly above average scoring. Still, its pretty weird and only worth trying if you're very curious about the style. I certainly won't return.

3.73/5  rDev +6.6%

2L plastic pop bottle poured into pint glass 22/10/11

A 2L bottle that's a gusher for sure, the little raisins explode to the top when you crack this bad boy, the tan head actually grows for a few minuets from the most bubbles I've ever seen, the foam slowly falls leaving no lace, caramel brown body with lots of crap floating around, I liked the look of this one for sure.

S Smells like sticks and top soil, yeasty bread and some spices I can't quite place

T molasses comes out strong with some mild cola flavors with some sweet dried fruit and yet even more bread

M feels full and very well carbonated but still not turning to foam, finishes quite sweet

O is it a good Kvass? I wouldn't know one if I was drinking it but this I don't mind

pretty much rating this one on personal preference and the big bastard grew on me as I drank it. I brought this to work so everyone could taste my Kvass and had very mixed results, some asked for more, some didn't make it past the smell
Thanks liamt07 for sending a style tick my way

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

Made from Borodynsky rye bread that's past its shelf live, the All Stars Bakery makes over 2000 bottles a week and exports it to Russian Grocers as far as Cleveland and Cincinnati.

The All Starts Bakery doesn't actually sell to the public. I picked this up at the "Yummy Market" on Dufferin St. in Toronto (along with some Borodynsky rye bread).

A: Dark chestnut with a light tan head, no retention, a little leg. Unfortunately, this one wasn't frothy at all.

S: Dark bread, bread crumbs, raisins and molasses aroma.

T: Very malty, bread, caramel & raisin flavours. Sweet with a slightly tart finish.

M: Lightly carbonated. I'll see how it develops over the next few weeks!

A good article: http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/kvass.html