Chi Orientale - Brasseurs De Montréal

good

Brasseurs De Montréal visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Witbier |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Phyl21ca on 05-12-2009)
Reviews by ReFill31:
3.83/5  rDev +6.1%

341ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A : Straw yellow color with some "chunks" in it. Great head, but goes down quickly. Almost no carbonation.

S : Ginger. This is pretty much all we can smell.

T : We taste a lot of ginger but the taste is not too strong. There is some sweeteness also to it which balances it all.

M : Refreshing and enjoyable

D : Easy to drink. I would buy again this one. It would be impossible to make is a session beer though.

ReFill31, Jul 21, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +8%

341 mL bottle from a sampler pack picked up in Montreal.

Poured into a tall handled stange glass. The beer looks a great deal like white grapefruit juice - pale golden and opaque - and leaves about an inch of head that quickly settles into a ring. Some flecks of lacing.

Nose is undeniably that of fresh ginger, with a touch of wheat malt and citrus backing it up. Smells like real ginger of the kind that accompanies your platter of sushi. Refreshing, but potent.

I can describe this beer in two words - gingered weizenbier - but since this is a beer reviewing site I can go into more detail. Starts off with a powerful, but tasty blast of ginger, followed by citrus (lemon, orange peel) and spices. I find that if I don't sniff the beer as I sip it, the ginger taste isn't so dominant, so I'm betting that the ginger is mostly aromatic. Medium bodied, with good, consistent pinprick carbonation.

Some people might dislike this beer because it's "too gingery," and I can't really blame them for that - this beer is certainly gingered all to holy hell. Fortunately, I happen to love ginger so I thoroughly enjoyed this brew. Still, I think the ginger could have been turned down from 11 and the brew would have been better for it. It's not something I'd want more than one or two of, but this certainly a noble, fun effort and my favorite of the pack thus far. Big points for experimentation.

JohnnyBarman, Mar 07, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -3.6%

341ml bottle, an interesting extra from tbeckett - g?n b?i ! Or is it sante?

This beer pours a cloudy medium golden yellow hue, like frosted glass, with one finger of thin fizzy white head, which does just that upon its quick exit, leaving not much in the way of lace. It smells of sweet wheat malt, spicy, slightly pickled ginger root, and citrus rind. The taste is strong, zingy, herbaceous, almost medicinal, fresh ginger. There's a soft wheat and sweet glutenous husky graininess underneath, but it's pretty muddled, with the ginger so in your face. As it warms, I get a bit more citrus character - all other potential wit spices are stillborn. The carbonation is moderate, and a bit scratchy, the body light, and a little clammy. It finishes off-dry, the sweetness from the wheat pushing through, but still warmed strangely by a barely waning earthy ginger spice.

If I said that lime cola was a good idea, you'd have to assume that I liked lime flavouring enough to have it obscure the base drink. Same goes here - I like ginger well enough in cooking, but not so much in an assault on my senses whilst drinking a beer, from a style more known for balance and restraint.

biboergosum, Jun 29, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

Hazy pastel yellow body with a bright white head that fades to a thin cover and ring around the glass. Some lacing.

Ginger is first to hit the nose, followed by coriander and a little nutmeg, minerals, soapiness/light chlorine or something (though it doesn't smell bad really) and 7up-like citrus.

Quite heavily gingered in flavour as well, with citrus again appearing as somewhat artificial (7up lemon-lime). Light wit spices in the background (coriander, nutmeg, pepper). A subtle soapiness, akin to Thrills gum. Possibly some herbal hops in there, but the flavour is pretty crowded with all this stuff going on; it's hard to pick out any effect the rice would have had either. Adequate malt to balance everything out. Maybe I could rate flavour a 4 if the citrus seemed more natural.

Light-medium body and lively carbonation seem to suit the beer well.

I don't totally agree with how this one is put together but I do actually kind of like it. This was the last bottle of a sixer a friend recommended we pick up, the rest having been consumed on a very hot day. Sitting down with it to pick it apart, it doesn't stand up as well as it did in the heat but at the time I thought it was an interesting, refreshing take on a wit. I might pick this one up again while it's still hot outside. This would definitely go really well with sushi.

eat, Aug 17, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a hazy blond color ale with a medium pure white foamy head with some retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of wheat malt with notes of orange peel and some light coriander. Taste is also dominated by some wheat notes with light spices. Body is quite full with nice bottle conditioning and good carbonation. Well done with no major flaws and medium complexity.

Phyl21ca, May 12, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pale yellow color, veiled with a nice creamy head. The aroma is citrus fruit with some ginger. Intense aroma and well balanced. Not too much ginger just enough to let you know that its present. In the mouth, its carbonated. The taste is citrus fruit and some ginger. Warm in the back of the mouth due to the ginger. This makes the ginger more presents in the mouth than the nose. I'm a bit surprise that I like this one very much.

Medium body beer. Very refreshing. A nice beer for the summer!

ZorPrime, May 31, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -3%

Whatup14, Apr 17, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -37.7%

Unfortunately, this experience was not suceesfull with me.

In my opinions, it tasted way too much ginger. Indeeed, the plentifull of ginger in the nose is a good thing, probably the best of this beer.

Someone suggested me that I take this beer with sushi, which I will try soon.

I wished I'd like this beer more, but it didn't wokred with me.

JSMarsolais, Mar 02, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -37.7%

polloenfuego, Mar 14, 2014
3.9/5  rDev +8%

Pours a cloudy yellow color. Definitely not filtered. Just over a finger of white head. Decent duration.

From what I can decipher from the label, this is made with rice and ginger. The ginger part is definitely true, going by the nose. Really nice fresh ginger scent.

Taste is very interesting. Ginger isn't overly strong, but adds a nice spicy background character. A bit of taste that reminds me of orange peel. A somewhat dry finish, with a touch of ginger aftertaste.

Overall, this was an interesting surprise beer. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but what I got was pretty good. Unsure of long term drinkability, but one or two alone, or with some food can really hit the spot.

Seanstoppable, Apr 18, 2010
3.41/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Very clear light gold color. I noticed there was a thick crust of sediment at the bottom of the bottle that didn't make it to the glass so cloudiness was probably intended. Very little head retention and almost no lacing.

S: Ginger is really present. Not a pungent robust ginger but more like a ginger ale type aroma. The smell instantly reminded me of opening up a box of sushi and having that ginger slice smell waft up.

T: Fairly light profile overall but the ginger is definitely there, in fact it's probably the forefront of the beer. I also get some citrus as well, im thinking lime with a bit of lemon. I also get the rice too which is a a bit displeasing at first but its easy to acclimate to and its not necessarily a bad thing.

M: Thin but very easily drinkable. High carbonation.

O: A decent beer and it is interesting to say the least. Wouldn't really drink it again unless i had some sushi on hand which it would probably be amazing with.

Haydn-Juby, Feb 06, 2014

Molson2000, Sep 20, 2012

Wow! This is a really tasty and interesting take on the Witbier style. Easily the best of the 12 pack sampler from this brewery that I've sampled.

Appearance: Deep hazy gold with a fizzy, sudsy white head that lasts only for a while. Active carbonation can be seen bubbling up the sides of the glass.

Smell: A goregeous ginger aroma really makes the whole nose of this beer. Hints of citrus and floral hops.

Taste: Big ginger flavor followed by citrus and sweet malt, some pepper, clean sharp finish.

Mouthfeel: sharp carbonation gives this spicy beer a little extra bite, light bodied, clean and refreshing.

Drinkability: Exellent, I would love to get a standalone sixer of this stuff.

sbe1, Sep 21, 2009

DrewLikesBeer, Jun 11, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Mostly clear gold with some light foam. Huge ginger nose - this is going to be interesting. Hints of orange in the background as well, but the ginger dominates the aroma. Lots of ginger flavour, which is interesting in a beer. Adds a je ne sais quoi I can't quite put my finger on. Works well with the moderate bitterness and fairly dry body. Sharp carbonation and interestingly pungent aftertaste. This is one of those flavours I can't really decide if I like or not. I guess it's not something I'd go to often, but an interesting diversion for the tastebuds.

allergictomacros, Aug 09, 2009