Ghosttown - Brasseurs De Montréal

GhosttownGhosttown

Brasseurs De Montréal visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: jneiswender on 06-08-2009)
Reviews by TheHammer:
2.28/5  rDev -23%

Appearance: Poured as black as night with a finger of head that produced some lace but did not stick around.

Smell: The background of chocolate and coffee stout is overwhelmed by scents of anise, ginger with light toffee notes. It's good but that anise/black licorice smell seems a bit too powerful, and that's not exactly one of my favourite tastes.

Taste: Starts with a very strong molasses taste with coffee notes which then gets overwhelmed by a black licorice and toffee malt taste. If I was a fan of Black licorice, I'd be more inclined the enjoy this...but sadly I am not. However I'm going to give it some leeway on this one because it is clearly supposed to be herbed beer.

Mouthfeel: Unsurprisingly the licorice taste lingers in a bad, clingy way that leaves your mouth a little bit dry. The transistioning isn't bad, the the carbonation falls flat pretty quick too.

Drinkability: The dryness doesn't help things, nor does the clingy aftertaste. It's medium bodied, which is something I guess, but that licorice taste begins to make me a bit queasy near the end. Still, I managed to drink the whole thing and it avoided a drain pour.

Final Thoughts: If you like Black licorice, than this is your beer, if you don't stay far away. Really this beer is a gimmick beer, it was interesting to try, but it's seasonal for a reason.

TheHammer, Nov 21, 2013

beerhunter13, Jan 05, 2012
2.65/5  rDev -10.5%

Served in snifter

LOOK (3.5/5) - the look was quite nice. It poured a deep black which was very opaque. The head was good, it rose up to about two fingers of an interesting light tan color with a hint of purple to it. It fell at a normal pace with some good lacing.

SMELL (2.5/5) - I'm not a huge fan of black licorice and this really get off of a strong aroma of star anise. even despite my personal, I'm not at all satisfied because the anise blots out a lot of the stout aroma. I get a bit batlic-porter-like coffee malt on the finish, but it is really outweighed by the licorice. The main problem with this isn't the play of flavors, but the fact that there is a lack of balance.

FLAVOR (2.5/5) - The flavor is a bit more balanced than the aroma. It leads in with that star anise flavor strongly again, but the finish has a the bitter and burnt flavors of black patent and coffee malt on the finish. Actually, the flavors play pretty nicely off each other; however, it was still quite unbalanced toward the anise. Just less than the smell.

FEEL (3.5/5) - medium heavy body and lighter carbonation. Standard fair for a stout, if not a bit on the light side.

To me, this beer was a bit of a fail. I like the idea behind it and, despite the fact that I generally dislike black licorice, I could see that they had something good in mind. However, the problem here was about two or three times too much wormword or anise or whatever that black licorice comes from. Also, I think it would have played better with a baltic porter than a stout, with a bit more of a dry character and burnt character.

Rijtjeshuis, Oct 30, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -7.8%

Bought this brew because I was intrigued by their sampler pack I enjoyed earlier this year, and for the fact that this seemed like a fitting Hallowe'en brew. Wasn't until I got it home that I realized the brew was flavored with absinthe...anything that smacks of black licorice, sambuca or absinthe is not something I tend to enjoy. But I'll still give this a try. Please keep my personal preferences in mind!

Poured into an oversized wine glass. Inky, silky black, with about a half inch of off white head, and nice lace patterns.

Nose is roasted malt, marshmallow, coffee and an unmistakeably strong whiff of licorice.

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't put a brave face on this. The absinthe was simply too unwelcome of a flavor for me to endure. I might have done better if the flavor was toned down a bit, allowing the roasted coffee flavor to get some attention, but this was not to be. The end product was oversweet, overspiced, and unpleasant. Thick bodied, coats well, but a bit syrupy.

Points for the effort - I really do respect them for trying. The fact that the brew's dominant spice is not to my personal taste is no fault of Bras. de Montreal. However, the brew itself was not without its faults either - it was too one dimensional, sweet and the body felt a bit off. Appreciate the effort, but I couldn't even finish this one.

JohnnyBarman, Oct 18, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +43.6%

SurpriseTruck, Mar 23, 2014
3.18/5  rDev +7.4%

From notes:

Appearance: so dark it's almost pitch black; beautiful creamy head with thick lace; looks like espresso

Aroma: anise jumps out, but more on the chocolate side than licorice; hint of something else, possibly the mentioned herbs or coffee

Taste & Mouthfeel: anise flavour is now leaning towards coffee; slightly tart in the way of bad espresso, but kind of nice here; mouthfeel is similar to a lambic; some burnt flavour

Overall: interesting, but the bitter burnt coffee flavour get tiring; not as absinth flavoured as expected, but fantastic to look at

BGDrock, Feb 27, 2012
3.73/5  rDev +26%

A gimmicky stout, yet a good one! Pours black with a small retained head. Absinth clearly in smell, we know it, we get it and it works. A nice diversion, though the stout behind it is basic. Worth seeking out.Average mouthfeel. AVerage stout but above average spiced beer.

Sammy, Nov 30, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +31.8%

Big props to Andrenaline for including this in a trade. I've had absinthe in Prague, and obviously I love beer, so i'm intrigued
A - thick oily black stoutness, short head didn't last, some lacing
S - a very strong minty/herbal aroma with a chocolate note which always work well together, roasty with some vanilla
T - a definitely mysterious herbal flavour, along with big licorice root, rich chocolate, roasted coffee and malty flavours
M - a thick stouty start with the herbal nature sticking in the back of the throat, with a spicy licorice flavour
O - this definitely has that mystical herbal essence of absinthe, the big presence of licorice is a nice match, one of the most unique stouts i've come across, and because of that I can understand the wide range of reviews on this

joemcgrath27, Dec 03, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -30.7%

Pours black with two fingers of dark tan head. Nose is black licorice, anise, subtle roasted malt. Taste is light cocoa malts, major black licorice flavour and absinthe. Leaves much to be desired. Mouthfeel is light medium, watery, low carbonation.
Overall, a unique stout that left me yearning for a hoppy IPA to get rid of the black licorice aftertaste. Not reccommended in my opinion.

heebes, Oct 09, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -57.8%

Tried this Beer on tap while enjoying other fantastic Quebec Beers.

Without a doubt, the most undrinkable beer i've ever tasted.

Tasted like a dry stout with 2 shots of Absinthe. Awfull. I just can't get past the absinthe in this beer. It completely overpowers the stout that may actually be a nice beer. its difficult to review as the black licorice flavor is just overpowering.

I am surprised this company has actually released this beer as they have some fantastic brews.

I hate to say this, but it is probably one of the only beers i actually couldn't drink. One person who bought one with me couldn't even drink any more beer for the rest of the night! So be warned :)

jbonapar, Nov 06, 2009

jsnoek, Nov 22, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +15.9%

A-Pours a pitch black with touch of tan head that dissipates rapidly leaving very minor lacing.

S-The aroma is dominated by the smell of spicy liquorice to the point that I cannot detect any other notes with any confidence.

T-The taste is very similar to the smell-dominated by licorice. However, coffee is also noticeable, particularly in the finish. Overall, the taste reminded me of a spicy root beer.

M-Velvety without some carbonation. A little thicker than the average ale, but not in the territory of the thicker IRSs.

O-I enjoyed the beer although I wouldn't recommend it to most people. While I found it tasty, I am a big fan of arak (unsweetened anise liquor), and this was almost like a stout equivalent. In the end, feel that the strength of the spice makes this a very polarizing beer, and I happen to like it (although I would not get it regularly).

cragus, Oct 04, 2011

Boozecamel, Oct 13, 2013

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a super large light brown foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of spices and absinth is well mix between some roasted malt with light note of lactose. Taste is also very smooth with a nice mix of herbs and spices with some clear notes of absinth and a quite sweet lactose finish. Body is quite creamy and full with OK carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Very well brewed with nice balance between the different ingredients.

Phyl21ca, Feb 10, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -7.1%

TimeLincoln, Feb 18, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -40.9%

Poured in to Founder's tulip glass.

A -Dark black with half a finger of espresso coloured head that receded very quickly.

S - A heavy dose of anise up front that distracts the nose from any other aroma. There is a faint roasted malt presence in the background but you really need to look for it to find it. I generally don't like licorice and find this nose very unpleasant.

T - Anise up front followed by roasted malts with the licorice returning in the finish. The licorice doesn't dominate the palate the way it did the nose but it is still the most noticeable flavour and is very distracting. The anise flavour lingers in the finish as well.

M - Medium body, light to moderate carbonation.

O - I am admittedly not a fan of licorice but Stone managed to impress with with their Belgo Anise imperial stout, so it can be done. This was a drain pour.

TheSevenDuffs, Nov 05, 2011

ThinkAgain, Oct 19, 2013

WillAndSarah, Oct 11, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +26.7%

irishkyle21, Nov 08, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -24%

dipso123, Nov 08, 2013
3.73/5  rDev +26%

341 ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a pitch black with half a finger of espresso foam head; lack of retention/lacing.

S: Smell is the usual stout components (coffee, chocolate) but the overwhelming aspect is black licorice, also there is a vegetal component as well.

T: Licorice is all you notice at first; it passes and you get a bit of the underlying stout; the finish mirrors this: strong licorice followed by some chocolate/coffee.

M: Mouthfeel seems fairly light and creamy with fine carbonation.

D: The absinthe certainly could be better integrated. Still, a worthwhile experiment. As for the drinkability, I can't see wanting more than one.

mrnobody, Oct 23, 2011

ritzkiss, Nov 28, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +26.7%

papat444, Aug 31, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +36.1%

A: Dark brown, mostly opaque but with a slight ruby tinge (between a stout and porter in depth) no visible carbonation. The thick 4 finger chocolate milk head leaves a chunky lacing.

S: Coffee, chocolate, licorice, black pipe licorice, slight candy quality, light smokiness like that of pepperoni, cardboard.

T: Dark chocolate, licorice, light meaty smokiness, cigarette butts. Mostly a slightly sweet stout, very little alcohol burn. Notes of cedar. Black licorice comes in again and again.

M: Thick slightly syrupy body, low carbonation.

O: Interesting beer. The licorice and cedar are interesting, and the fact each sip tastes different makes this one really fun. Almost like a new beer every sip, but it repeats in a cycle. Well done! My first from Brasseur Montreal. I see Absinth- herbs and roots written on it, so that must account for the liquorice.

patre_tim, May 05, 2014