1260 Triple India Pale Ale - Stone Coast Brewing Co.

1260 Triple India Pale Ale1260 Triple India Pale Ale

Stone Coast Brewing Co.
Maine, United States

(Beer added by: deltatauhobbit on 07-23-2008)
View: Beers (0) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by FatSean:
FatSean

Connecticut

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

My wife brought this back to me from Maine in July of 08. I stashed it in the fridge for a cooler day. Well, today is cool and rainy so why not try it out?

Poured a hazy mahogany, with a dense but small head. Some lacing, but mostly the foam hanging on to the sides of the 12oz pint glass. Reminds me of a red-stained hardwood, full of nuance. Very appealing.

Sweet nose, limited hop aromas as expected (I was told the beer was aged before sale) but a nice sturdy selection of molasses and syrupy malts.

Mellow. Very mellow, but with a nice alcohol spice. This beer is heads and shoulders above their relatively coarse 840 DIPA I had tried the month before. They sryupy sweet maltiness lingers on the pallete but does not overstay it's welcome. I'm pretty sensitive to beer flavors squatting on my taste buds, and for a triple IPA, this beer knows when to leave.

Viscous as expected, leaving the essence of the beer behind in the mouth as it travels downward. Very nice.

For a TIPA this is one very drinkable brew! Obviously not a summer swiller, but for the complex flavors provided, the beer remains desireable. I never once found myself second guessing the reach for another sip.

The beer came to me with the news that Stone was going to stop distributing their wares through retail liquor stores. I do hope they continue to produce this beer for their brew pub. A stunning example of a big beer that doesn't blow out your taste buds! In my opinion, there are many brewers of DIPAs and TIPAs who could learn from this beer.

08-10-2008 22:10:58 | More by FatSean
rab53

Washington

12-09-2011 04:32:04 | More by rab53
FtownThrowDown

3.2/5  rDev -25.2%

Bottle graciously shared by Beachbum1975.
Pours a dark ruby brown with a nice inch or so of head. Smell is mostly malt and some still holding on hops. I think this one may be a little past.
Taste reaffirms this thought. Not the triple IPA that we were expecting, but still a decent American Barleywine. Incredibly big on the mouthfeel and a bruiser of a beer. American Barleywines are not my style, but there were no flaws in this beer.

11-15-2008 03:10:16 | More by FtownThrowDown
beachbum1975

3.28/5  rDev -23.4%

Got this on a recent trade with BanditBrewingCo, thanks Alan! I wanted to drink this one sooner than later, because I was nervous about the hops fading out if cellared too long. I shared this one with pwoods and ftownthrowdown last Friday night at my place...

Nice, simple and classic label on this 22 ounce brown bomber.

Pours a cloudy dark copper with an average off-white head leaving some nice lacing marks on my tulip.

Smells of heavily caramelized malts, as the color would suggest. I picked up some mild cirtus hops, as well, but they were not blasting me away on the nose. The fading hops presence could be due in part to it's age...

Like pwoods observed in his review, the taste was predonimantly bitter and malty, much like the nose. There was definitely hops feel in the mix, but for being called a triple IPA, I was a little let down. Mouthfeel was syrupy thick and bitter with a definite hot alcohol presence. Medium bodied and medium to full flavored.

I am certainly glad I had to try this one before it passed its' prime, but overall, I wanted more hop and less bitterness. Much more of a quality barleywine, then a triple IPA.

11-11-2008 15:03:11 | More by beachbum1975
mynie

Indiana

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Glugs out tomato juice red with honey amber hues shining out where the light hits in, big white head that sticks around and around.

Smells great, wonderful hop profile, wonderful bread dough malt balance. Very, very dry. Hops are citrusy, malt is doughy and fiery alcoholic, and strangely enough there's a strong oakiness in here, sweet like new furniture. Wonderful.

Tastes like an explosion of some kind. Like--like a FLAVOR explosion. Hops dominate up front, of course, with heavy nodes of citrus and pine. This dies away amazingly quickly and leaves in its wake an immensely sweet, almost fruit juicy malt. This fades into a more traditional, sweetly alcoholic malty breaddough which ends on some sweet nodes of oak and dry, bitter hops.

Quite the beer, right here. Thank goodness I got a chance to try it.

11-08-2008 05:57:45 | More by mynie
pwoods

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Thanks to beachbum1975 for sharing this bottle.

22oz. brown bomber poured into a snifter.

A: Pours an opaque woody color. Decent sized head with ok retention and good lacing.

S: More barleywinelike in the nose. Hops have died down a bit but still lightly present. Alcohol peaks through.

T/M: Lots of bitterness with minimal hop presence otherwise. Very malty, sticky and thick. Good sharp sweetness bite. Alcohol is flavorful. Body is full and sticky.

D: Not very drinkable but interesting and tasty.

11-08-2008 03:54:49 | More by pwoods
gford217

Georgia

4.45/5  rDev +4%

Bottle courtesy of MrRetardedMonkey poured into a snifter.

This is one dark IPA. It pours a deep, hazy brownish amber, almost completely opaque, with a two-finger cream colored head. The retention and lacing are excellent.

The initial smell is full of fruity hops with whiffs of apricot, grapefruit and oranges, and lots of piny resins as well. There is also a heavy malt sweetness in the background. Big, full aroma.

The taste is just as big with the dominant citrus hops up front giving way to the huge biscuity malt backbone. The pine hops come back in the end with a sticky, resin-filled finish.

The mouthfeel is full-bodied and very thick for a DIPA. Carbonation is good and melds well with the resin stickiness of the hops.

This is a big, complex DIPA yet the alcohol is extremely well hidden and thus drinkability is still pretty darn good. Big thanks to Scottie for hooking me up with this one.

11-03-2008 02:33:10 | More by gford217
CrellMoset

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle courtesy of deltatauhobbit - thanks!!! Been really looking forward to this one ever since I first stumbled upon it. Split w/ dkachur at a tasting. Poured my half into an Aventinus glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep, thick, dark, hazy reddish brown body with tons of head - even my half pour has a huge foamy, meringue-like, tan head with sponge-like lacing, holy, like swiss cheese all over the place. It's hazy as all get-out, with tons of hop juices/oils afloat in this one, no doubt. Very attractive.

Aroma: Great hop profile: lots of citrus, grapefruit, orange zest; tons of pine needles, sticky, resinous, syrupy; some other leafy hop notes, pleasant. But this one's definitely balanaced - big, big malt, darker ones, too - coffee, dry toast, a faint kiss of smoke. I also get a faint salty note that melds well with a milky note in the malt profile and lends, to this nose, an aroma akin to Parmesan cheese. And absolutely NO alcohol in the nose, which is really nice.

Taste: A very dark DIPA. A very, very dark DIPA. Toast, deeply roasted biscuity notes, caramel, only the faintest hint of coffee. Pretty dry overall, but with tons of residual sugars. All the same great hop notes - orange zest, lots of leafy, vegetal, "pure" hoppiness (perhaps more so than would be apparent in the aroma), and again, tons of sprucey pine, fresh, crisp, biting. That pine bite augments a moderate level of hop bitterness that's sort of buried in the metric ton of malts used, and really only comes through after the sip has ended, almost. While I'm here, I guess I could mention the heavier fruit esters that emerge, particularly as things warm, blending with the alcohol to lend a nice rum raisin-like note. Speaking of, alcohol is only faintly detectable, and it's unassuming and blends well with the bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Thick, syrupy, but wonderfully creamy, even, smooth, with minimal carbonation, though it's perfect for the flavors involved. A wonderful-feeling beer.

Drinkability: This is essentially a highly-hopped American dark barleywine, and it's a damn good one and one I'm very glad I traded for. 10% abv, sure, it's high, but it's hidden very well across the board, and is more than made up for the by the tastiness of this beer, which was really interesting. Only 600 bottles made, but if you can get your hands on one, do so - it's good. Real good.

10-22-2008 06:22:26 | More by CrellMoset
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I picked up this fantastic double IPA from an excellent trader recently. I was greatly looking forward to trying this one. Served right at cellar temperature and poured into an oversized wine glass. This one was consumed on 10/07/2008.

The pour was wonderful looking. A deep, russet amber color with a remarkable head came forward immediately. Tons of thick side glass lacing then ensued, fully engulfing the entire glass. Nice carbonation coming up from the bottom could also clearly be seen as well.

The aroma was huge. Tons of ripe, deep, resin filled hops just dripping all over this one. Tons of piney notes, but as it warmed it became tremendously balanced with a rich biscuit like malt backbone that danced around notes of hot alcohol as it went. The flavor was more of the same. First off this had to have the thickest body for an IPA I have ever had. Rich and full, almost stout like consistency with a nice feathery carbonation that really helped to enhance the flavors. A sharp bite of hops ripped across the tongue, initially scalding, but then mellowing with a biscuit malt like middle and an almost buttery sweet finish. Notes of alcohol were imbedded throughout, letting me know this was indeed a bit of a monster. A nice sharp cutoff in flavor left behind just oodles of sticky resin filled flavor. A must sipper, there was no way you were taking a big gulp of this one anytime soon!

Overall I thought this was outstanding. One of the finest, and most balanced big IPA's I have ever come across. I would love to try this one again. It had a richness of texture you just do not see much anymore. Pass me more of this one please!

10-10-2008 18:26:32 | More by mikesgroove
deereless

Colorado

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Splotchy foam, dark brown tea, a touch of murkiness - 4.25, S: A heavy aroma, thick hops and malt, far from overwhelming on the nose which seems to go against my expectations of a triple IPA - 4.00, T: Alcohol soaked dates, hints of sherry, black raisin, extremely hoppy - 4.50, M: Creamy - 4.00, D: I think this is probably the first triple IPA I've had, pretty extreme and heavily flavored, lots of bite but still nicely balanced - 4.25. Purchased from Oak Hill Beverage in Scarborough, Maine. Ironically I met the brewer (Kevin) at the Lost Beer Cafe a few days after tasting this beer.

09-27-2008 03:57:59 | More by deereless
lordofthewiens

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

A really, really nice beer. From a bomber served in a tulip glass, the beer was a hazy light brown color with a thick tan head that left abundant lacing. I thought the aroma was mostly citrus, but there was also a hint of flowers. The beer tasted sweet and fruity (grapefruit). It was intense, but not overwhelming. The alcohol was very well-hidden. I also found it to be fairly filling. It's too bad we won't be seeing anymore of this beer.

09-03-2008 00:30:14 | More by lordofthewiens
joepais

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

22 0z Bomber poured into my snifter produced a good fingers worth of tan head that settled to a thick lace. The body of the brew was a some what hazy reddish brown

Aromas of pine and grapefruit are up front but the sweetness of the malts are well present as well

Flavors of this brew somewhat remind me of DFH 120 sweet and barleywineish. Along with the pine hops to keep it from being overly sweet. Medium body with enough carbonation to keep it interesting

This is a great drinking brew. I will be sorry to see it go as well as the brewery. I always enjoyed Stone Coast beers. Hell of a beer to end their run with though.
Cheers

08-29-2008 01:44:43 | More by joepais
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

thanks to brewandbbq for this via trade! It's been a few years since I tried a Stone Coast beer and this beer got my attention! Looks like it may be too late unfortunately.

A - rich clear reddish brown, with a nice khaki head.
S - citric hops, tropical fruit, caramel, and toffee.

T - similar to the nose with a dash of fig and a resinous piney note.

M - full bodied, nicely carbonated, creamy smooth with a lingering resinous hop effect

D - damn smooth and easy to sit back and savor.

This was quite a beer indeed. Blindfolded I would've called it an american barleywine as the body was so much more than a DIPA. Not sure I'm a follower of the TIPA concept but with this beer I don't care. I'd buy a case for my cellar and be very happy.

08-15-2008 20:25:30 | More by barleywinebrewer
brewandbbq

New Hampshire

4.28/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours clear, dark amber, with ruby hues when held to the light. A beige, tight, head of a half inch rose up and left some smears and dots of lacework on the way down.
A solid skim coat on the surface remained for the duration.

Aromatics are heavy with malt-laden grapefruit and pine. Toffee, caramel, figs, and fresh leather under floral citrus and spruce. Warming alcohol brings up the rear.

On the thick side of medium bodied. Chewy and tacky. Quite smooth and creamy.

The pallet is malt-forward and well integrated with resinous pine and grapefruit zest. More leather, dried figs, caramel, and a sherry note for complexity.
Bitterness is firm but not harsh, and the beer is quite dry for the style.

Finishes with warming alcohol, drying bitterness, and citrus zest.

Very much in the Barleywine realm and
hands down the best Stone Coast beer I've ever had...Too bad it is thier swan song...

Cheers to Stone Coast!

07-26-2008 23:29:32 | More by brewandbbq
deltatauhobbit

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Bought this at RSVP, back of the bottle says there's only 600 bottles and that it was aged for one year, might explain a couple things about why it's not quite the hop bomb for a "triple" IPA.

Pours a dark amber color with a large frothy light tan head, great retention with some patchy lacing.

Smell is oddly controlled by caramel malt, for an IPA there is quite a reserved hop aroma, hardly any citrus elements or bitterness, but what aroma there is is quite assertive.

Taste is exceptionally smooth and creamy, honestly one of the creamiest IPA's I've ever had, like the smell this beer is fairly malty with strong tones of caramel, light hop bitterness at the end. The 10% is barely noticeable and I just found myself downing half a bomber in hardly anytime, the strength does become more evident as it warms up but still quite enjoyable.

I think this has become a beast of it's own, reminds me of what happened to Stone 10th, the DIPA transformed to a barleywine-esque beer, except better. This is quite the treat from Stone Coast and easily my favorite beer from them now, it's a shame it's a one time deal as I could get used to drinking it (I'd go broke at $13 a bottle), although I'd settle for them not closing at all. What a way to go out though, with their 12th year anniversary beer.

07-23-2008 22:48:31 | More by deltatauhobbit
1260 Triple India Pale Ale from Stone Coast Brewing Co.