Ascension - Two Beers Brewing Co.

AscensionAscension

good

Two Beers Brewing Co. visit their website
Washington, United States

(Beer added by: beertunes on 01-20-2013)
2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

All I could think about when I drank this was that someone took a good IPA and cut it with 1/3 vodka. I really had a hard getting to the good flavors as the alcohol burn diminished them so much.

4.04/5  rDev +15.8%

3.28/5  rDev -6%

Hot and woody. This has the most unusual taste, I wish I could nail it exactly, but it's sweet vermouth all the way. Plus something like burnt caramel with some cinnamon. Pear brandy with leather. At least the stuff is interesting.

The worst part is how the canned pear (heavy syrup) taste which I normally like is bittered up with quinine and aspirin. Even more bitter as the hot alcohol sears the tongue. From the 22 oz bottle, poured into the Troubadour tulip.

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a hazy, medium golden amber with a fine one finger white head with good retention and lots of lacing. Aroma of caramale malt, grassy and citrus hops, orange family citrus, a bit of alcohol. Flavor is orange citrus, light caramel malt that is overwhelmed by intense resiny, almost medicinal hop bitterness. Finishes hot, with both alcohol and resinous hop bitterness. Medium bodied. Although this grew on me after a while (probably due to lupelin saturation on my tongue), it is quite harsh at first, like a charging hop bomb. After I settled in, I was able to appreciate the caramel malt base and more pleasant components of the resinous hops. I'm not sure whether it was the high ABV talking or not, but I was overwhelmed at first, but enjoyed the second half of the glass more. Unbalanced and a bit out of control, but worth a try for intense hop fans. Two Beer's Alta series has been pretty good, and I missed the first round of this. That is probably a good thing, this 11.9% version is probably more approachable than the earlier ones (up to 18%!). Kinda kicks your posterior in both alcohol and hops.

3.74/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle opened on 6.28.13 and split with some friends
Bottled By: Dan
Bottle #: 486/1000

A - Pours a clear darker orange with only a few tan bubbles clinging to the glass.

S - Lots of hop cirtus, orange peel mostly. A touch of alcohol, but not as much as I would expect. Some bready malt sweetness as well.

T - The taste is similar to the nose. Lots of orange zest/peel, sweet bready malts, and alcohol burn.

D - Mild to medium carbonation with a medium body.

O - A big beer, and it shows, but not as much as I thought it would. Similar to 120 minute, but I think that it is more approachable.

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Served in 10oz goblet. Poured a lightly hazy orange gold color with less than 1/4 inch of white head that had low retention and lacing.

The aroma was, as expected, very hop forward. Mostly citrus, some pine and a very low malt presence. On the tongue, the hops just blasted away, with an alcohol taste underneath. No real malt flavors showed up and there was a very sharp alcohol bite on the finish.

The body, while fuller than I'd expected, wasn't anywhere near smooth. Drinkability was pretty good, for an 18% ABV beer, but I would a spacer or two if I were having more than one a day. Overall, this brew was pretty nice, considering it's size. Certainly worth a shot if you see it.

Ascension from Two Beers Brewing Co.