See No Evil IPA - Brass Monkey Brewing Co.

See No Evil IPA

American IPA |  ABV ?

Beer added by: daftafne on 07-21-2008

Reviews by daftafne:
4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Had the opportunity to try this new brewer at the 13th annual Indiana micro brewers fest in Indianapolis this weekend.

Ap: cloudy, brown/amber with a finger of head

Sm: mostly of sugar, some citrus fruit

Ta: grapefruit, candied sugars, hops

Mo: Medium-heavy

Very good beer I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

64oz Growler
Brass Monkey

This is my first sampling from this neat little brewpub in downtown Kokomo Indiana. See No Evil dumps into my pint glass with a cool cascade effect throughout the hazy tarnished copper body. This IPA glows the orange of a setting sun when backlit and although there isn't a whole lot of visible carbonation I do see a lone bubble jumping to the surface ever couple seconds. A dense two finger head of antique white foam fills the remainder of the glass and shows excellent retention, eventually falling back to one finger but never any lower. Sticky webbed lacing covers part of the glass while sheet lacing covers the other.

The nose on this beer is bursting with tropical fruitiness. I really enjoy the way the hops were utilized when putting this beer together. Ripe pineapple, chin dripping mango, and papaya all come to mind. Laying down a solid foundation for this mouthwatering hoppiness is a combination caramel and cake like maltiness. When the hops and malt work together on this beer it makes for a sweet, candy like smelling concoction that I can't wait to drink. The fruitiness they pulled out of their hops reminds me of certain beers from the Three Floyds lineup. Now that's a compliment!

The flavor doesn't quite have that "bursting with tropical fruitiness" that the nose showed but it is still very good. All the tropical fruit I mentioned is in the flavor but it's more integrated and subtle then the nose led me to believe. That fruitiness leads the way and is present throughout the drink. The cake like sweetness seems to fall by the wayside while a mildly sweet caramel maltiness takes its place. This beer really does taste like candy with the sweet feeling fruitiness and caramel malt. There's a whisper of alcohol on the finish that's more fumes then anything else and I think actually adds to the overall flavor.

I have a hard time deciding if this beer is straight medium bodied or leaning toward the lighter side of the spectrum. I'm going to settle with medium bodied, I do notice some velvety smoothness occasionally which comes across from the mild carbonation that lets this beer work at it's own pace. The finish is slightly dry. I didn't notice any bitterness on the first few drinks but it has begun to grow, starting at the back of the tongue and now working its way up to my lips.

This beer is so easy to drink it's scary. The lighter then expected body along with the mildly sweet tropical fruit characteristics keep the glass tilted in the go position and the drying finish keeps me coming back quicker then I should be.

Brass Monkey makes a damn good IPA. Apparently, See No Evil won the silver at the Indiana Brewers Cup finishing behind Dreadnaught, I can see why. This is an excellent IPA with hop characteristics you don't find very often. If this was bottled it would be a mainstay in my fridge, guaranteed. I'm looking forward to my next trip to Brass Monkey Brewing.

4.92/5  rDev +10.3%

This is what an IPA is supposed to taste like. Big and hoppy but very drinkable. According to the website there are over a pound of hops in a 10 gallon batch. This translates to over 3 pounds per barrel of beer (Jim Koch mentions 1 pound per barrel in the Sam Adams commercials.) The hop aroma and flavor are wonderful. This beer recently took a Silver in the Indiana Brewers Cup beating out the likes of Bell's Two Hearted Ale among others.

See No Evil IPA from Brass Monkey Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.