Chicken Leg Oatmeal Stout - Roy Pitz Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  ABV ?

Beer added by: taylor714914 on 01-30-2010

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was a very smooth, Oatmeal Stout.
Not to heavy. Black in color, with a tan, sustaining head.
couldn't detect much aroma, possible due to the sampling glass, or the smoker next to me.
Flavor was perhaps one of the best Oatmeal Stouts I've had. Hints of Chocolate and Carmel, with a little vanilla. Good down nicely.

4.02/5  rDev +2%

Poured into a pint glass at Pinocchio's in Media, PA.

A Pitch black pour, with very little brown head., or she just poured it incorrectly. Some of the waitresses don't know how to pour that well.

S Smells like roasted coffee, marshmallows, with chocolate and maple syrups.

T Very smooth. Light notes of coffee, some mocha, chocolate, marshmallows again.

M Sooo smooth, very creamy, very lightly carbonated, roasty in the finish.

D Take it slow, but it goes down like nothing. I have to say it again, its so fucking smooth. This is so creamy and smooth, it drinks like a nice coffee and a nice beer, and I don't even like coffee very much.

I might have to go back and get a growler fill of this. I really enjoyed it, especially the unexpected marshmallow taste.

4.06/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: black in color with a 1" tan colored head that lasted a while. Thick lace painted the glass.

Smell: roasted malt and a hint of coffee were picked up by the nose.

Taste: big roasted malt profile with coffee, some hints of bitter dark chocolate, prune sweetness, and a moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp to start, smoother and a bit creamier towards the finish.

Drinkability: this is a very quaffable oatmeal stout. Nice flavor profile keeps it interesting. Definitely worth a try if you see it on tap.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Pours a pitch black with an inch and a half mocha colored head (thick). Leaves great decent lacing.

S - Roasted (borderline burnt) dark malt along with coffee and dark chocolate. I'm picking up a nice earthiness from the oats also.

T - Sweetness upfront followed by a roasted malt that mixes with the coffee, chocolate, and oats in the middle. Finishes with just enough hops. The hops work nicely; keeps the sweetness from taking over the palate. Classic, silky smooth texture.

M - Medium to full feel that coats the tongue. Carbonation levels keep this beer from becoming to sticky.

D/O - Another beer from Roy Pitz that I really enjoyed. Chicken Leg has great aroma/taste/feel characteristics. That being said, I still don't think I could tackle more than three pints of this brew in one sitting. All in all a well made Oatmeal Stout. I'll definitely revisit this one. Cheers.

3.38/5  rDev -14.2%

I was at the downtown icefest in chambersburg PA and in the chili cook-off tent, roy pitz was giving away free samples of their beers. I had tried the other 2 previously, but was intrigued to see an oatmeal stout sitting on the table. I picked it up and took a sip. Cold....very cold. As much as I wanted to warm this beer up the 18 degree weather just wasn't having it. Overall, the beer was decent, but I think it would shine much more if I could have warmed it up. It was a nice dark, rich beer with a tan head which hovered around forever. Couldn't get much smell because of the scent of chili permeating the air. The taste was muted due to the coldness, but from what I did taste, I think the beer has great potential. Amazing mouthfeel, just right for an oatmeal stout, though I don't think I could drink a lot of it. This is a heavy sitter in the stomach!

I can't wait to revisit this beer and drink it in a more controlled enviroment!

Chicken Leg Oatmeal Stout from Roy Pitz Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.