Chicken Leg Oatmeal Stout - Roy Pitz Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Roy Pitz Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: taylor714914 on 01-30-2010)
Reviews by VoiceOfTheSoul:
4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a pint glass at Pinocchio's in Media, PA.

A Pitch black pour, with very little brown head., or she just poured it incorrectly. Some of the waitresses don't know how to pour that well.

S Smells like roasted coffee, marshmallows, with chocolate and maple syrups.

T Very smooth. Light notes of coffee, some mocha, chocolate, marshmallows again.

M Sooo smooth, very creamy, very lightly carbonated, roasty in the finish.

D Take it slow, but it goes down like nothing. I have to say it again, its so fucking smooth. This is so creamy and smooth, it drinks like a nice coffee and a nice beer, and I don't even like coffee very much.

I might have to go back and get a growler fill of this. I really enjoyed it, especially the unexpected marshmallow taste.

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: black in color with a 1" tan colored head that lasted a while. Thick lace painted the glass.

Smell: roasted malt and a hint of coffee were picked up by the nose.

Taste: big roasted malt profile with coffee, some hints of bitter dark chocolate, prune sweetness, and a moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp to start, smoother and a bit creamier towards the finish.

Drinkability: this is a very quaffable oatmeal stout. Nice flavor profile keeps it interesting. Definitely worth a try if you see it on tap.

3.35/5  rDev -18.9%

I was at the downtown icefest in chambersburg PA and in the chili cook-off tent, roy pitz was giving away free samples of their beers. I had tried the other 2 previously, but was intrigued to see an oatmeal stout sitting on the table. I picked it up and took a sip. Cold....very cold. As much as I wanted to warm this beer up the 18 degree weather just wasn't having it. Overall, the beer was decent, but I think it would shine much more if I could have warmed it up. It was a nice dark, rich beer with a tan head which hovered around forever. Couldn't get much smell because of the scent of chili permeating the air. The taste was muted due to the coldness, but from what I did taste, I think the beer has great potential. Amazing mouthfeel, just right for an oatmeal stout, though I don't think I could drink a lot of it. This is a heavy sitter in the stomach!

I can't wait to revisit this beer and drink it in a more controlled enviroment!

4.13/5  rDev 0%

A - Pours a pitch black with an inch and a half mocha colored head (thick). Leaves great decent lacing.

S - Roasted (borderline burnt) dark malt along with coffee and dark chocolate. I'm picking up a nice earthiness from the oats also.

T - Sweetness upfront followed by a roasted malt that mixes with the coffee, chocolate, and oats in the middle. Finishes with just enough hops. The hops work nicely; keeps the sweetness from taking over the palate. Classic, silky smooth texture.

M - Medium to full feel that coats the tongue. Carbonation levels keep this beer from becoming to sticky.

D/O - Another beer from Roy Pitz that I really enjoyed. Chicken Leg has great aroma/taste/feel characteristics. That being said, I still don't think I could tackle more than three pints of this brew in one sitting. All in all a well made Oatmeal Stout. I'll definitely revisit this one. Cheers.

Chicken Leg Oatmeal Stout from Roy Pitz Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.