Wee Stein Wit - Potosi Brewing Company

Potosi Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: cokes on 10-14-2010)
Reviews by emerge077:
3.88/5  rDev +1%

Single from Woodmans. Murky opaque pastel orange yellow color. Thin but intricate lacing rings the inside of the glass. A fingers width of compact white foam that manages to last awhile after the swirl and pour of the yeast sediment. Chunky bits of lace on the second pour.

Earthy coriander aroma, dried orange peel, textbook wit.

Creamy feel, mellow and wheaty, mild spice and fruity esters. Clean and easy drinking, thankfully mellow and not overspiced. Tasty, mild, could easily have a couple of these, especially in the summer.

emerge077, Jul 31, 2011

OregonGrown7, Dec 30, 2012

bismarksays, Apr 14, 2014
4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

A - Nice golden with a fluffy white head.

S - Spicy wheat, malty, bread, orange, coriander, slight pear, dark honey.

T - Spicy again with citrus-malt backbone. Wheat, lemon zest, and light hops before avery slight bittering.

M - Medium-heavy. Nice carbonation balance.

Overall - Very nice beer. Potosi has done a great job with this style and I'm looking forward to the next one that they tackle.

8.99 for a six pack at Piggly Wiggly

Yojimbo1941, Aug 29, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a clear, moderate yellow but even with an intentionally stiff pour there's almost no head.

The aroma is very pleasant. Bananas and bubblegum, some lemony citrus and some mild spiciness. Some alcohol as well, more than I expected from a 5.5% beer.

Not quite as robust as the aroma but nice all the same. Compared to some Witbiers I've tried the tartness is welcomely a little subdued. The fruity flavors are right there, though, along with some spiciness. Unfortunately just a little watery, though that might work very well in the middle of summer.

Not too thin, not too thick - definite Goldilocks viscosity, it's just right. Good carbonation though a little more creaminess would be appreciated.

My first beer from Potosi and it's probably my favorite Witbier to date. I really appreciate that it's not quite as tart as most of the ones I've tried. I'll be quite happy to pick this one up whenever I see it around.

mariposafan, Oct 16, 2011

WolfsbaneBloom, Oct 26, 2013
3.63/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Really clear, like it was filtered and no head to speak of. Not a great start for style.
The aroma does better. Nice whiff of soft spicy and fruity aroma's. Soft malt/wheat background.
I'm not sure they used a wit yeast, or at least a traditional wit yeast. Yeast flavors more resemble bigger belgian styles (belgian pale ale, tripels, strong goldens). Maybe that speaks to the clarity I noted. Still more spicy and taking away from a more traditional malt bill emphasis. Don't get me wrong, there are nice flavors, but I'm not sure I'd call it a wit. I'm not picking up too much of the "spices" outlined on the bottle label - the spiciness seems more yeast induced. Reasonable dry finish lasts a good long time. Seems like just a tad of lactic.
Also, not much for the malt character I'd expect from from this style.
Lighter body, with some softness. Seems like a higher abv than 5.50%
I don't mean to be so hard on this, as it really is an enjoyable beer, probably of some undefined category. Definitely the final product is greater than the sum of the parts. But a wit?....not really.

garymuchow, Jul 22, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

Semi murky with cloudiness golden yellow in color, my bottle doesn't appear to have any head at all, it may have been over aged on the shelf, as I got my bottle as a clearance single. The color is nice, at least.
Smells partially like a hefeweizen with the bananas, clove, and spices, and partially like a belgian white ale with the presence of a moderate (and quite nicely matched) pear-scented ester presence and a whispered hint of white pepper. I like this combination, especially since neither one overpowers the other at any one point.
Tastes of most of the elements present in the nose, plus a bit of a squeezed lemon wedge that for some reason I couldn't smell before it hit my tongue, not sure why. Body is nicely carbonated, on the lighter side of medium thickness, very nice.
This one is worth checking out.

WastingFreetime, Aug 24, 2011

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Unibroue tulip.

A: Pours a hazy, golden color with one finger of nearly white head. Good retention and lace, vigorous carbonation.

S: Nice, sweet fruity esters, very faint spice.

T: Leads with a round, wheat flavor that has some banana/clove hefe notes. Some spice emerges in the middle, fades, and then re-emerges in the long finish.

M: Light but not thin, the carbonation does a good job.

O: I enjoyed this beer. Nothing extraordinary, but well-crafted and solid. I would buy this again, gladly.

AmericanGothic, Jul 22, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I recently picked some up from Woodman's... not sure if it's hit the shelves elsewhere in Madison yet?

A: Beautiful clarity and an inch of pure white froth. Very attractive in the glass.

S: This beer has a sweet grainy nose, with the typical citrus/clove undertones. In most of the beers, there is also a slight, pleasant corn scent - however, in one bottle, the corn odor took a prominent, musty character. It was the first bottle I had, and I let it come up towards room temperature before drinking - so maybe it was a bit green still? Regardless, the other bottles I've had were fine, so I'm only taking off a half-point.

T: Very nice, smooth flavor of sweet grain, tart lemon and a spicy yeast tang. Nothing unexpected, but style-appropriate and delicious.

M: Well-carbonated, smooth.

This is another great beer from Potosi, and an excellent Witbeer. Well-balanced and perfect for drinking on a summer day. My friends and I had a tasting including this beer and a St. Bernardus Wit, and the Potosi was preferred by many.

toxicmegacolon, Jul 06, 2011

mklinger, Jun 27, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Not bad, not bad. With an aggressive pour, a medium sized, off white head that soon settled to a light cover and a tiny bit of lace. Color is a hazy/cloudy light amber with some precipitates slowly sinking or staying in suspension. Aroma is very yeasty, with spice, malt, floral, and a bit of citrus. Flavor is similar to nose with yeast, malt, spice, and orange peel coming out much stronger. Body is good and carbonation is a little soft. Finish is like flavor and at first has good legs, then drops off sharp. Pretty good beer. Like to try it on draft. Great to cook with too, I bet.

drpimento, Oct 06, 2011