Steamboat Shandy - Potosi Brewing Company

Beer added by: beerwolf77 on 07-16-2011

Ratings: 53 | Reviews: 16
Reviews by facundoCNB:
3.1/5  rDev -3.1%

clean bubbly golden pour with a finger of white head (decent lacing for the style). smells of lemon pledge, bready malt/yeast. the flavor is almost medicinal.. lemon with a bready overtone. light body with high carbonation and a sweet medicinal aftertaste.

not really a fan of this one, and for the 2nd shandy i've had, so far i am not a fan of the style.

3.5/5  rDev +9.4%

Buddy travels to the Northeast corner of Iowa and usually brings back some Potosi libations. The Summer Shandy from Potosi is better than the Summer Shandy by Leiny. The beer is a cloudy yellow with mild carbonation and no head. The scent is smooth with hints of lemon. The taste is malty and sweet with hints of lemon. There is definitely alot of body with this beer. I was expecting something a bit lighter in bodied, but it was not a turn off. Certainly worth a try.

4.16/5  rDev +30%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is the best shandy I have had. I really liked how smooth and refreshing it is. It has a sweet taste to it. If you fancy beers like IPA's and strong stouts I would steer clear of this beer. However, if you like refreshing and great tasting light beer this is a must.

3.23/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Revisited: 4/28/2015--Well, I didn't realize I had this before...my original rankings were 3.5/2.5/2.5/4/3...changed to:

3.25/2.75/3.25/3.75/3.5--Look downgraded for flat head; smell upped as the smell is sweet with a hint of citrus/lemon. I liked the taste of this--reminded me a bit of Lemonhead candies...lemonade taste is present, but slightly overpowers the malt. Fell is a bit watery...better than I remember it...I may buy again, especially if I find on tap.

Original review: Poured from bottle into standard pint glass.

A=Nice moderate yellow/golden color.

S=Citrus/lemon.

T=Whoa...strong lemon presence...more like drinking lemondate with a touch of beer than vice versa.

M=Light, with some carbonation.

O=Too sweet and lemony for my liking...not even as good as a Mike's Hard Lemonade.

2.83/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pale straw gold, bright clarity. Sticky collar of thin foam, feeble skim across the top. A ring of lace remains around the rim of the glass.

Mellow aroma, minerally wheat and vague lemon.

Flaccid feel, wet grain, watery, mild cane sugar sweetness and lemon flavor, yet there's no lemon tartness or fresh citrus character. A bit of papery cardboard in the aftertaste, wonder how old this is, it seems mildly oxidized. Thankfully not syrupy sweet, but pretty dull and forgettable.

2.82/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Nothing exceptional here. Strong aftertaste.

2.53/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. A new beer from a new to me brewery. Expectations are in the average range, based on this beer's current poor ratings.

Poured into a Miller High Life pint glass.

A - Pours two fingers of soft foamy bone white head on top of a clear pale straw yellow colored body with excellent clarity. If I didn't know any better, this could easily pass for a Miller Lite or a Bud Light.

S - Smell is comprised of cooked corn, grains, wheat, wet paperboard, and a faintly tart artificial lemon presence.

T - Bleh, this is just not good at all. Cooked grains, corn, wheat, coiny metallics, apple juice, and lots of syrupy, sweet, obviously artificial lemon presence. Tastes like some of the adjunct lagers I've had that were imported from India, mixed with artificial lemon syrup. A bit of dusty yeast funk is present in there also, when I really look for it, and is really the only pleasant aspect to this beer.

M - Feel is of syrupy sweet artificial lemon and some grains lingering on the palate.

Overall, this is a pretty awful beer. Give me a Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy over this swill any day. I suppose it has me intrigued enough to try some of their other beers, just to see if they are any better than this. Avoid.

Potosi Steamboat Shandy ---2.5/5

2.5/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

I know when I'm on my steamboat, I reach right for a shandy. Doesn't everyone? This stuff pours a clear straw topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises sweet biscuit malt backed by a bit of Country Time lemonade mix. I used to devour that shit raw back in the day, so I know it's essence anywhere. The taste leads with a sweet, semi-artificial lemonade, then moves in with a strong blast of just-plain-off bread. The combination doesn't work at all. The body is a rather light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a wet feel. Overall, this is just a mess of a shandy, with no real balance or "truth" of flavor (for lack of a better word) to speak of. Just plain bad.

2.93/5  rDev -8.4%

Picked up a sixer of this for some friends that aren't huge into beer. Thankfully they didn't drink em all. Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

A: Lightly hazed pale yellow color. About a finger of bright white head. Fast fading and leaving a tiny lace ring. Looks a lot like an adjunct lager actually.

S: The aroma is actually rather similar to an american adjunct too. Grain, corn, honey and bit of skunkiness. Just a hint of lemon flavoring can be picked out.

T: The flavor is better than the nose for sure. Pale malt and a bit of grassiness. The lemon flavor gives it an after taste I can only compare to Trix cereal.

M: Light body with a good amount of carbonation.

O: Well it wasn't horrible but it wasn't anything I would reach for on purpose again. Much less sweet than Leinie's Summer Shandy. Which is a positive. I could where this might be refreshing for the BMC crowd.

3.45/5  rDev +7.8%

A- Inch tall fizzy white head, beer itself is pale...probably a 2 or 3 SRM. Head dissipates into a thin cover as a couple dozen streams of carbonation float on upward. No lacing.

S- Smells of lemon zest and bread.

T- First thing I notice is the sweetness. Everything about the initial look and aroma of this one screams pilsner but the taste knocks that thought from my head in no time. Almost like an apple juice or a cider taste, it's hard finding the hops in there.

M- Again, more of a juice feel to it. Thinner mouthfeel, lower end of carbonation.

D/O- Okay, up until this point I hadn't read closely the label. "a golden ale blended with pure cane sugar and 100% natural lemon juice." So yeah, hah, I guess they created what they were going for. For that, and the fact this would be a great (!) candidate to chug on a hot midwestern summer day, I give Potosi props.

3.49/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The best shandy I have had so far.

3.94/5  rDev +23.1%

More reviews transferred from my tasting notebook (and edited for clarity)....

Semi-opaque and hazy yellow in color, one finger of soda-like head that lasts for about a minute before fizzling out, no lacing left behind. Smells really about 50/50 blend of lemon and a really gooey doughy ale...taste hits the right zone of sweetness without being cloying that I prefer in a good shandy, certainly this one is the best shandy that I have sampled to date in that regard. Also worth noting for having a medium-light body and actual malty beer flavor that isn't completely drowned out by the lemonade... you can actually taste *yeast* residue in it...
If I have to have a shandy rather than a beer, this is the one I would pick to revisit.

1.75/5  rDev -45.3%

One of the absolute worst tasting beers I have ever had. Wasn't even drinkable.

3.8/5  rDev +18.8%

From 8/11/11 tasting notes

Enjoying this on tap at the State Fair...

A) A nice looking, slightly cloudy, yellow brew. There was a nice inch of white bubbly head that had decent retention. There was no lacing.

S) Lemon and pure sugar sweetness. There is beer in here too. The smell is very natural, which is quite the opposite of the other beer/lemonade products on the market.

T) As indicated above, a well done combination of beer, sugar sweetness, and lemon juice.

M) Light bodied with the right amount of carbonation. The feel is very natural and quite refreshing.

O) I can't help but think I have been a bit generous with some earlier grades on summertime beer lemonade combos. IMO, Steamboat Shandy is superior to those products. If I can't get to the GastHaus for a radler, this would be a fairly acceptable alternative.

3.73/5  rDev +16.6%

I'd been eyeballing this at my local shop for about a month now. Finally picked it up today. Poured into my Sam Adams Beer Glass.

Defined on the label as "A Golden Ale flavored with Pure Cane Sugar and 100% Natural Lemon Juice". Fair enough, I know what to expect, even if my taste buds only know Leinie's Shandy.

Hmm, not much head. White foamy, about a finger that disappeared quickly. Very clear and light looking.

Smell is a little weak. Not much to pick up, some sweetness, some lemon. Nothing dominating the nose.

Taste is very natural, but not really well blended. I wonder if this will age and blend together by next summer? The Golden Ale comes through nicely and is not overpowered by the lemon or sugar, though the sugar is definitely noticeable.

Mouth is pleasantly carbonated, not overdone. The cane sugar is palatable, but not syrupy on the tongue. The lemon is almost in the background here.

Overall, it's good. It's a higher end feel than Leinie's. I'm going to put one or two back and age them. I'm curious.

I enjoyed the first one, we shall see how it goes through a couple more. Looking forward to it.

1.85/5  rDev -42.2%

Bottled shandies *seem* easy to make. Just, logically: all you got to do is pour lemonade or Sprite into beer, and how hard could that be? And because of this widespread assumption, truly excellent shandies often get under-rated. But then when you come across a not-so-good shandy, like this one, you realize that there's actually an art to adding fruitiness to beer.

Steamboat Shandy is a godforsaken mess. It starts off tasting like homebrewed dandelion wine, moves into a middle that like if you poured Country Time powder directly into your mouth, and finishes tasting like seltzer water. It's not so horrible that I couldn't bring myself to finish it, but at no point is it good, or really even pleasant.

Steamboat Shandy from Potosi Brewing Company