Follow our progress ...

Style: Wheatwine

Added by Booner818 on 05-24-2014

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 10
4.14/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Had this on 2016-04-25 in Columbia, PA from a 22oz bottle

A - Dark, mostly-opaque mahogany with a very short tan head and minimal lace.

S - Caramel, vanilla, oak, medium roasted grain, earthy spice. Sweet and pleasant.

T - Overly-toasted whole grain, sourdough wheat bread, caramel, dark chocolate, herbal and earthy spice, some citrus, dark fruit, anise. Some roasted/medicinal bitterness in the finish but not so much as to overpower the other flavors.

M - Medium-heavy body and light carbonation. I enjoyed the thickish feel.

O - Not many wheat wines out there and this is a good one. I didn't know it was a wheat wine until after I finished my review. I was initially thinking it to be a barley wine but couldn't reconcile the toasted sourdough flavor until I read the description. Now I know. It seems this is retired and I'm late to the party but perhaps another wheat wine is in the making? Good stuff.

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: poured from a 22 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass, orange brown with a very short yellow head that vanishes leaving no lacing, cloudy

S: caramel, citrus hops, bread, brown sugar, spice

T: quite hoppy with flavors of pine and citrus, middle sweetens with the taste of pumpernickel, caramel, toffee, finish is bitter with citrus hops

M: thinner with low carbonation, alcohol well hidden

O: less boozy and thick than other examples of the style, focus is more on C hop flavors

6th Anniversary Ale from Bootlegger's Brewery
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.