Golden Chaos Golden Ale - Bootlegger's Brewery

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: dbONE on 08-20-2008

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.2/5  rDev +16%

Like Xmas in my mouth. At first sip, Golden Chaos introduces itself with the classic Belgian smoothness/sweetness and seamlessly transitions to a mellow sour tartness - your finishing note. As a lover of sour lambics, it's my favorite characteristic of this beer.

Once poured, Golden Chaos exhibits lovely yellow tones, strong carbonation and long-lasting lacing on the side of the glass. I've been drinking this one quite a bit over the summer.

BTW, this beer should come with a pair of pliers. The cork is oversized and difficult to pry off by hand. (553 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Taste - Hops play in a citrusy sweet way, but its very smooth. I get notes of apricot among the hops...and the rest just tastes like a really good golden Belgian ale.

Overall - I really like this one. This is a great spring/summer beer, its very refreshing and easy drinking. I think bootleggers has a trend of making beers with high alcoholic content, but keeping them very smooth and easy drinks... (401 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - This poured a dingy and mysterious orange in color with a good head.

Smell - The rich yeast hits first followed by the complex sugars. The fruits are amazing and I can't even begin to pick them all out. There is definitely a strong apricot aroma along with some good citrus but not orange. I get something else like grapefruit but without the rind-like bitter smell imparted from most hops.

There's some good spicing in here as well. The coriander which somehow in most American efforts at the style turns into a medicine cabinet here is very pure and freshly piqued. I just made some lettuce wraps the other day spicing the turkey with coriander and this very much reminds me of it.

Taste - The spices come on big at the taste but manage to stay smooth and in perfect harmony with the yeast. The fruits stay true to form and now I'm getting some light cherries and maybe some darker things such as plums. The fruit flavor is so intense that I found myself just staring into the glass.

Mouthfeel - This is a big medium-bodied with some light carbonation that didn't quite live up to the "chaos" namesake.

Drinkability - This was one of the best-flavored American efforts at a BSPA that I've had in a long time. It doesn't quite measure up to my all-time American classic favorites - Pranqster & Symposium - but is running close with a few other beauty shops like Spring Fever and Demolition 1800. (1,414 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last