Rustic Rye IPA - Bootlegger's Brewery

Rustic Rye IPARustic Rye IPA

good

Bootlegger's Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: DoubleJ on 01-31-2009)
4.1/5  rDev +12%

Bottle into a pint glass. Got this on my birthday trip to SoCal at the brewery.

A - amber body with a white head on top

S - Light floral hop aroma mingles with some pale malts

T - Spicy notes from the rye, a bit of a florally hop flavor, really well balanced, finishes with a hint of bitterness

M - medium body, good amount of carbonation

D - Drinks real easy. Almost like a APA rather than an IPA. This is a really enjoyable beer but nothing otherworldly. I'm glad I got to try it and would drink it again.

jpmclaug, Feb 13, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +12%

Bottle shared with SundaySour, poured into Stone Nonic glass.

poured carefully, leaving yeast at the bottom of the bottle.

A: Early morning red sunlight with a massive 3 finger head. The head fluffs over the body like some fancy soap in a scented bathtub. If Sundaysour pays too much attention to this visual, she'll remind me that I'm not romantic enough. An unusual redness, but what a strong head!

S: Smells of fresh cut leather, tropical fruits, and persimmons. Really nice enticing nose. Sweet bread malt backbone accentuates tropical fruits in favor of mango, and gradually pulls the senses away from citrus. A bit conflicted, but good nonetheless.

T: Very light tangerine citrus zing, mango middle, and french bread crust malt. Pleasantly light grainy bittering that is chased by a lemongrass note. A seed-like linger in favor of sesame makes for a fantastic aftertaste. An extremely crushable Rye IPA. Finish of lighter rustic breads.

M: Modest carbonation that disguises a medium/heavy body for the style. This really adds to the bready dimension of the malt. I feel like I have a crunchy artisanal bread in my mouth. Quite nice and distinct, but may contribute to the flavor being a bit monotone.

O: This beer is on the verge of greatness, but for right now it can settle solidly on the side of very-goodness. I think with a bit of refining this could give the Alpine IPAs a run for their money. This beer certainly has some "rough" edges, but they aren't necessarily negative. There is a really "raw" ingredient element to this beer that I appreciate, but I would urge bootleggers to dig deeper. They have something really good here that could be great. It could use maybe a bit stronger flavor (imperial anyone?) and perhaps some more discernable flavor transitions. However, this beer is aptly named. In the end this is a deliciously "rustic" rye offering.

Cavery, Jul 01, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: A cloudy, light brown liquid with a nice, thick, two-finger, off-white head.

Smell: Bright citrus hop aroma with a mellow rye sourness to it. Very relaxing fragrance.

Taste: The initial hit is of hops, but quickly the sour rye flavor takes over. Going down the hops reappear in a tame bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Definite IPA bitter mouthfeel. Not too bitter. Like most other aspects of this brew, it appears that the rye component is muting the more traditional IPA aspects. To be honest, I don't totally mind this, as I tend to enjoy rye beers and have yet to develop a great affinity for the more highly touted "hopped up" IPA's.

Drinkability: Super easy drinkability. The muted hop character and low ABV make this a very appealing option. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this beer and am thankful to nicks6217 for throwing this in on a trade that we completed.

tburus, Jan 14, 2011
4.06/5  rDev +10.9%

Glass - Mug

A - Bronze like color with a big Lager like head that looks pretty loose. Head retention was quite good. Tiny bubbles can be seen slowly rising to the top. Nice splashes of soapy lacing.

S - Toasted sugars, molasses, caramel and a touch of rye. Herbal and orange hop characteristics are there but don't jump out at me. Seems balanced and drinkable.

T - Pleasantly surprising orange/tangerine thing going on. Bold herbal and resinous hop flavors through and through. Moderately sweet with just a touch of rye bread. Finishes very bitter and dry with lingering resinous hop flavors.

M - Full bodied with moderate carbonation and slight chewiness.

O - I gotta say that i'm pleasantly surprised by this beer. Rye didn't jump out at me, but i found the beer to be a satisfying IPA, filled with resins and bitterness. Inviting look, and the price is outstanding. I picked up a mixed 12pack for $14, and can't wait to try the rest. I say try out the mix pack for sure. I'd buy again. Cheers!

PintOHops, Mar 09, 2013
4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

I think Bootlegger's has done a great job with making an IPA that everyone can enjoy. So many beer drinkers that are stepping out for the first time are afraid of IPA's because they are over-the-top in flavor.

The color is a cloudy/light carmel hue. It pours beautifully from a tap, leaving a moderate head of foam. The carbonation is great too, making it very sippable.

Love the opening citrus notes and has that IPA bitter finish, but not over-powering. Making it perfect for different types of food pairings.

I have had many other IPA's, and while they were good, I did not want another glass. Bootlegger's has an IPA that you can drink more than 1 glass and it is not too much.

PizzaQueen1, Jun 28, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

22oz bomber received as an extra in a trade with a generous BA thanks!

Appearance: Pours copper with honey folds. The crown is a 1 finger soapy white that displays moderate retention and lace.

Smell: Rye and floral hops over a slightly toffee like malt.

Taste: Same as the nose but more pungent. I'd give it a 3.8 if I could so I'm rounding up a bit.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with active fine carbonation.

Drinkability: Sessionable.

koopa, Oct 25, 2010
4.04/5  rDev +10.4%

a: Slightly cloudy dark straw color. 2-3 finger foamy off-white head that looks like it will stick around nicely.

s: Smells of lemon rind, flowers, light tree sap, papaya, mango and grain.

t: hoppy lemon, flowers and papaya up front and mid pallete. At mid pallete a nice toasted malt comes through. Finishes somewhat clean but with a small bitter sting.

m: Approaching full-bodied, medium carbonation.

o: A pleasant surprise from a local brewery.

JosiahS, Mar 09, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

For my first(!) review here on Beer Advocate, I wanted to pay homage to a local (of sorts) brewery, based in Fullerton, Orange County. While I am familiar with DTF, and the trifling nonsense which goes on there, I have always been interested in the city's brewery, which this beer gave me the perfect opportunity to get to know!

Flowing out of the deuce-deuce, the beer came out the same color of the Fall leaves in the recent Charlie Brown Thanksgiving Special I just watched, yet when settled in the glass (proper IPA glass of course), the beer took on a darker color, almost Brown. From here, I knew it was going to be delicious.

Sniffing it as the head decreased to mere layer of white, topping the abyss below, it smelled to me almost tame, with the Rye acting as a barrier of sorts from the onslaught some IPA's can bring.

Finally tasting the sweet nectar, I was admittedly surprised by the lack of bitterness, which again, accompany many IPA's. While there was no shortage of Hops, there was still a cacophony of other tastes combined, going to create a unique, and...well...delicious flavor.

Overall, with the combination of appearance, smell, taste, and personal notes, I was happy with the product which was sampled through 22 ounces, and about 15 minutes of bliss on a Friday afternoon. This taste from Bootleggers will most almost certainly bring me up the 55 Freeway sometime soon, to check out the brewery itself, nestled in the forest, known as DownTown Fullerton!

WestCoastLibations, Dec 07, 2012

GarrettB714, Nov 26, 2011

Zonian1, Dec 28, 2013

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach, CA.

Pours a nice copper color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of pale malts with good amounts of citrus hops and light hints of spicy rye.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Pale malt flavors up front with hints of rye are joined shortly by light citrus flavors. Midway through the sip the rye gains a bit of strength before fading to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass fairly quickly and could have another.

Overall this is a solid Rye IPA that I could session and enjoy it. Worth a shot.

glid02, Sep 04, 2009