Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Ale) - Bootlegger's Brewery

Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Ale)Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Ale)

Bootlegger's Brewery visit their website

American Stout |  6.70% ABV

Stout brewed with coffee and chipotle peppers.

(Beer added by: DoubleJ on 04-12-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

4.75/5  rDev +26.7%

02-17-2014 05:43:21 | More by MikeMilanoDesign
anon

4.66/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Poured pretty much pitch black, with a nice big coffee-colored head. Smell is pretty much roasted coffee up front with a bit of spice thrown in there.

I'll admit I was a little hesitant to try this for a while for I was in doubt of how this would taste, but I was pleasantly surprised. Lots of coffee up front with a nice spicy kick from the chipotle in the tail end. Nice and smooth, creamy. Goes down easy. Will definitely be having one of these again.

09-26-2013 00:03:09 | More by anon

barleywinefiend

Washington

4.46/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured jet black with a moderate coffee colored head. Two fingers to be exact with lots of bubbles and a few curtains of lacing after the head resedes.

S: The nose says chocolate covered chipotles to me. The coffee was present for sure but the nice roastiness, peppers and cocoa took precedence

T: Initial coffee gets ya but its pretty tame. The chipotles are ushered in with some creamy milk chocolate. Oh so nice. Harmonious the flavors are. No one flavor seems to dominate here. I am digging this. A nice roasted malt base for the flavors to ride on. The finish has a little hit, a nice pepper zing and coffee beans.

M:: Medium-full bodied, well carbonated, loads of flavor, a bit sweet with a light decadence to it

O: More than I was expecting here. My first beer from Bootleggers was very nice. I see the ratings are bit lower than mine. I think some people forget this is NOT a Imperial Stout as others BA reviews have eluded to " I see where this one is going but just misses the mark on the flavors of a big stout." Its a single stout. It hits all of the BJCP criteria and its very flavorful and full for the style. Well done.

08-09-2013 14:33:43 | More by barleywinefiend
PretzelCity

4.45/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap at the Verdugo Bar. This beer came out black as night with only a trace of head that quickly fizzled away. A little disappointing, until I got a whiff. The nose was a big hit of coffee. I don't particularly care for coffee by itself but I love me some coffee in my beer. This one did not disappoint. The taste was more of the same, fresh ground coffee perfectly blended with roasted malts and a touch of spice at the end. The chipotle takes a back seat in this beer, with the coffee up front and then a nice touch of spice in the finish, complimenting the beer instead of overpowering it. The mouthfeel is very smooth with a medium body. I could have had a few of these if the Verdugo didn't have so many great beers to try. Overall this was an excellent beer, well balanced and extremely drinkable. I'll be looking for more of these in the future.

09-14-2009 04:55:50 | More by PretzelCity
DarthKostrizer

4.45/5  rDev +18.7%

Look: Black with red rings around the edges. 1/2 inch tan head with little retention and little lace

Smell: Coffee and bitter chocolate rule the nose on this one. If you really search for it you can pick up a hint of the peppers

Taste: Coffee again is the front runner here. It has a lot of bitter chocolate going on as well. A hint of brown sugar and just a pinch of spice from the chipotles

Mouthfeel: medium body with a medium carbonation level. Slight amount of heat from the peppers and a slightly dry finish

Overall: I really really really like this beer as I am writing this I actually just cracked another one I like it so much. The peppers are noticeable but are very well balanced. The coffee and chocolate notes really give this beer a great flavor.

07-06-2011 03:38:26 | More by DarthKostrizer
antioch

4.43/5  rDev +18.1%

On tap at the brewery.

A: Black with a thick dark tan head. Looks like coffee with bubbles.

S: Coffee! I smell a boatload of the amazing Kean Coffee that they use for this. Maltiness! I smell some amazing dark roasted malts too.

T: Coffee, chocolate, roastiness, malt and ending with a slight Chipotle sting on the back of the palate. Went amazingly with a big burger from Grill 'Em All Truck!

M: Smooth and creamy. Very nice on a cold night, especially if this was slightly higher in alcohol with a bit of alcohol burn.

D: I couldn't drink this all day, but it's quite nice. One bomber is probably good for me! I absolutely love this beer now.

10-20-2010 23:13:14 | More by antioch
cpetrone84

4.4/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Recieved in the Big Black Booty BIF, love my black booty!

A-pours a thin dark brown looking liquid that is almost completely opaque. The head is a light coffee color that is tight and fluffy, it fizzles away quickly and leaves no lace on the glass.

S-the nose is pretty huge and quite diverse. the big roasted malts come in up front with tons of dark chocolate and hints of vanilla. the roasted chili peppers immediately take over and take hold of the nose. it is very spicy at the finish however also chocolaty with some dark chocolate mixed in. This is so sweet with roasted malts and milk chocolate up front.

T-this is a very big stout that has some chili peppers worked into the finish. roasted malts dominate up front, lots of dark chocolate and sweetness with just a touch of vanilla. the finish brings a hint of spicy pepper that actually lingers a bit with some nice roasted coffee malts and then more dark chocolate. There is a light sweetness at the finish with a hint of dark fruits, plum and raisin.

M-this is extremely smooth and creamy with a good full body. It has a nice carbonation base that gives it has a crisp finish but a slight bite at the back of the throat.

D-this is a great stout! I actually am not a huge chile beer guy and would prefer the chilies not in this to take away that peppery spice; but, knowing that is what they wanted the rest of the stout properties are great! Big flavors, nice roasted malts, chocolate, and a little sweetness at the finish with a very solid body. I'd love to try a regular (or even better an imperial) stout!

02-27-2010 02:43:35 | More by cpetrone84
ZX6Chris

4.38/5  rDev +16.8%

A-A hard pour produces a 3 finger dark tan mocha colored tightly packed head. Black but a little lighter around the edges. Head settles to a little ring around the edges and some bubbles on top. Nice lacing that slowly settles back in the glass.

S-Sweet roasted malt, nice big roasted coffee aroma. A little spicy pepper on the background. Dark bitter chocolate and milk chocolate aromas.

T-Roasted malt with bitter coffee and chipotle peppers on the finish. A nice milk chocolate in the middle of the palate. The roasted malts and coffee come through in the finish. The coffee bitterness and chipotle peppers linger on your tongue. As you keep drinking the peppers hit you in the back of your throat and belly.

M-Light to medium bodied and well carbonated. Nice and smooth.

D-At only 6.7% it's pretty easy drinking. I'm really loving how the peppers and coffee shine in their own ways and compliment each other.

08-31-2010 17:30:13 | More by ZX6Chris
Arbitrator

4.35/5  rDev +16%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Purchased at K&L in RWC.

A: Pours a dark brown body, opaque right to the edges. It's capped by a half-finger of light beige foam, which retains decently and collapses into a moderate collar on top. There's no cap except for some effervescence generated by my etched Duvel tulip.

S: Smoked chili peppers; this reminds me of the smoked chipotle sauce I had at, well, Chipotle earlier. Roasted grains, chocolate, and even a touch of coffee are present. It took quite a bit of swirling to get all this, though. I wouldn't call this the most expressive aroma.

T: The taste is a bit better. Chocolate, coffee. This has the slight sourness of roasted grain that you find in non-imperial stouts; it's not quite a lactic twang, but I could see someone calling this a milk stout. I don't think it has the heft to hold up to adjuncts, but I don't think it's really trying for that, either. Instead of having a clean, roasty finish, it brings out an aftertaste of lingering coffee and smoked chipotle peppers. If I'm regarding this as a regular stout (or porter), it delivers; the adjuncts give it enough uniqueness to distinguish it from the average stout.

M: Light-medium bodied. Not a ton of residual sweetness, not a heavy body. This enhances the drinkability quite a bit. It's easy to put down a full bomber without feeling like I have a food baby.

D: For $5 it's well-priced, and it's tastier than a number of traditional stouts. I'd buy it again.

09-22-2010 23:11:08 | More by Arbitrator
gford217

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev +15.5%

22oz bomber courtesy of a generous BA, poured into a tulip.

I'll start by saying I haven't a clue how to level-set a rating for a chile beer, so I'll stick with a stout review. Pours reddish brown out of the bottle and sits almost completely black in the glass underneath a thick tan head that recedes very quickly to a collar.

The aroma is excellent - starting with some roasted coffee and dark chocolate malts. But there's definitely an intriguing pepper burn in the nostrils that keeps me from confusing this aroma for that of a straight-up stout.

The taste starts with sweetness, chocolate mostly, with a heftly dark malt backbone. There's some coffee bitterness that starts to come out, but the real uniqueness hits in the finish where the chipotle peppers come in. They start with a solid pepper character but then you realize your tongue is burning in the finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with soft carbonation and leaves that interesting burning sensation after each sip.

This is a very complex and original stout with the peppers really bringing something different to the table. I really enjoyed this one.

12-28-2009 04:25:37 | More by gford217
vacax

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%

Bomber from La Bodega. This stout is brewed with fresh locally roasted coffee from Kean Coffee, so in my opinion the fresher the better. Also, of course, it is brewed with chipotle peppers.

Pours the color of black coffee with a robust head dark tan head. It dissipates at moderate speed, but in the end little head lives on.

Aroma of roasted coffee, smoke, and dark malts hits first, followed up by some bittersweet chocolate. At first I am not sure if I am picking up a bit of spice or if it is just my imagination, but the next time my nose went to the glass the chipotle was clear to me for a split second. Since chipotles are smoked, this beer definitely will remind the drinker of a rauchbier.

The flavor is upfront with sweetened coffee and chocolate malts, highlighted by the sweet smokiness of the chipotles on the tip of the tongue. On the midpalate this is all about the freshly roasted coffee. Smokey, tingly, finish with bitter coffee and maybe even a touch of cinnamon. Honestly, I could not detect any spiciness until about half way through a pint of the stuff, when I finally noticed a touch of residual heat. This beer is not only creative, it walks a fine line between the roasted coffee, roasted barley malts, and smoked peppers. Considering the balance and creativity, for me this is an excellent American-style stout.

The mouthfeel is surprisingly light for having such rich flavors, but it doesn't feel wrong at all, it keeps me going back for the next sip. Active natural carbonation keeps the coffee and peppers prickling the tongue, causing the perfect confusion as to whether that is spice or just bubbles. Nice. One drawback is that the sweetness can take its toll on the palate, I would probably recommend splitting a bomber.

When I saw "Ale brewed with Coffee & Chipotle Peppers" I knew I had to taste it, what I didn't expect was such a well done brew that highlights outstanding coffee flavors as well as the delicate balance between sweetness and spice. My favorite bottled beer from Bootlegger's.

Recommended. For the locals, if you aren't keeping up with Bootlegger's you are going to get left behind. I have tasted this a couple times on draft as well, the the local roasted coffee stood out more, intense and delicious. I plan on putting up another review for the growler format soon.

09-02-2009 07:57:25 | More by vacax