Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Ale) - Bootlegger's Brewery

Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Ale)Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Ale)

Bootlegger's Brewery visit their website

American Stout |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: DoubleJ on 04-12-2009

Stout brewed with coffee and chipotle peppers.
Ratings: 289 | Reviews: 118
4.63/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Poured pretty much pitch black, with a nice big coffee-colored head. Smell is pretty much roasted coffee up front with a bit of spice thrown in there.

I'll admit I was a little hesitant to try this for a while for I was in doubt of how this would taste, but I was pleasantly surprised. Lots of coffee up front with a nice spicy kick from the chipotle in the tail end. Nice and smooth, creamy. Goes down easy. Will definitely be having one of these again.

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

Appearance: Black with an off-white head.

Smell: Mainly coffee.

Taste: Very nice carmel malt flavor with coffee still very upfront giving way to chocolate. The chipotle peppers in here are not obvious, just a mild lingering smokey heat. I am glad they are not too overbearing.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated and thick milky mouthfeel, without leaving any residual feel. Very good. Alcohol is not obvious.

Overall: I really liked this stout. The coffee, malt, and chocolate are balanced well together, the mouthfeel is very good, and the subdued peppers give it a unique taste without being too much.

4.44/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap at the Verdugo Bar. This beer came out black as night with only a trace of head that quickly fizzled away. A little disappointing, until I got a whiff. The nose was a big hit of coffee. I don't particularly care for coffee by itself but I love me some coffee in my beer. This one did not disappoint. The taste was more of the same, fresh ground coffee perfectly blended with roasted malts and a touch of spice at the end. The chipotle takes a back seat in this beer, with the coffee up front and then a nice touch of spice in the finish, complimenting the beer instead of overpowering it. The mouthfeel is very smooth with a medium body. I could have had a few of these if the Verdugo didn't have so many great beers to try. Overall this was an excellent beer, well balanced and extremely drinkable. I'll be looking for more of these in the future.

4.43/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured jet black with a moderate coffee colored head. Two fingers to be exact with lots of bubbles and a few curtains of lacing after the head resedes.

S: The nose says chocolate covered chipotles to me. The coffee was present for sure but the nice roastiness, peppers and cocoa took precedence

T: Initial coffee gets ya but its pretty tame. The chipotles are ushered in with some creamy milk chocolate. Oh so nice. Harmonious the flavors are. No one flavor seems to dominate here. I am digging this. A nice roasted malt base for the flavors to ride on. The finish has a little hit, a nice pepper zing and coffee beans.

M:: Medium-full bodied, well carbonated, loads of flavor, a bit sweet with a light decadence to it

O: More than I was expecting here. My first beer from Bootleggers was very nice. I see the ratings are bit lower than mine. I think some people forget this is NOT a Imperial Stout as others BA reviews have eluded to " I see where this one is going but just misses the mark on the flavors of a big stout." Its a single stout. It hits all of the BJCP criteria and its very flavorful and full for the style. Well done.

4.42/5  rDev +17.6%

On tap at the brewery.

A: Black with a thick dark tan head. Looks like coffee with bubbles.

S: Coffee! I smell a boatload of the amazing Kean Coffee that they use for this. Maltiness! I smell some amazing dark roasted malts too.

T: Coffee, chocolate, roastiness, malt and ending with a slight Chipotle sting on the back of the palate. Went amazingly with a big burger from Grill 'Em All Truck!

M: Smooth and creamy. Very nice on a cold night, especially if this was slightly higher in alcohol with a bit of alcohol burn.

D: I couldn't drink this all day, but it's quite nice. One bomber is probably good for me! I absolutely love this beer now.

4.4/5  rDev +17%

Look: Black with red rings around the edges. 1/2 inch tan head with little retention and little lace

Smell: Coffee and bitter chocolate rule the nose on this one. If you really search for it you can pick up a hint of the peppers

Taste: Coffee again is the front runner here. It has a lot of bitter chocolate going on as well. A hint of brown sugar and just a pinch of spice from the chipotles

Mouthfeel: medium body with a medium carbonation level. Slight amount of heat from the peppers and a slightly dry finish

Overall: I really really really like this beer as I am writing this I actually just cracked another one I like it so much. The peppers are noticeable but are very well balanced. The coffee and chocolate notes really give this beer a great flavor.

4.39/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Recieved in the Big Black Booty BIF, love my black booty!

A-pours a thin dark brown looking liquid that is almost completely opaque. The head is a light coffee color that is tight and fluffy, it fizzles away quickly and leaves no lace on the glass.

S-the nose is pretty huge and quite diverse. the big roasted malts come in up front with tons of dark chocolate and hints of vanilla. the roasted chili peppers immediately take over and take hold of the nose. it is very spicy at the finish however also chocolaty with some dark chocolate mixed in. This is so sweet with roasted malts and milk chocolate up front.

T-this is a very big stout that has some chili peppers worked into the finish. roasted malts dominate up front, lots of dark chocolate and sweetness with just a touch of vanilla. the finish brings a hint of spicy pepper that actually lingers a bit with some nice roasted coffee malts and then more dark chocolate. There is a light sweetness at the finish with a hint of dark fruits, plum and raisin.

M-this is extremely smooth and creamy with a good full body. It has a nice carbonation base that gives it has a crisp finish but a slight bite at the back of the throat.

D-this is a great stout! I actually am not a huge chile beer guy and would prefer the chilies not in this to take away that peppery spice; but, knowing that is what they wanted the rest of the stout properties are great! Big flavors, nice roasted malts, chocolate, and a little sweetness at the finish with a very solid body. I'd love to try a regular (or even better an imperial) stout!

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%

A-A hard pour produces a 3 finger dark tan mocha colored tightly packed head. Black but a little lighter around the edges. Head settles to a little ring around the edges and some bubbles on top. Nice lacing that slowly settles back in the glass.

S-Sweet roasted malt, nice big roasted coffee aroma. A little spicy pepper on the background. Dark bitter chocolate and milk chocolate aromas.

T-Roasted malt with bitter coffee and chipotle peppers on the finish. A nice milk chocolate in the middle of the palate. The roasted malts and coffee come through in the finish. The coffee bitterness and chipotle peppers linger on your tongue. As you keep drinking the peppers hit you in the back of your throat and belly.

M-Light to medium bodied and well carbonated. Nice and smooth.

D-At only 6.7% it's pretty easy drinking. I'm really loving how the peppers and coffee shine in their own ways and compliment each other.

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%

22oz bomber courtesy of a generous BA, poured into a tulip.

I'll start by saying I haven't a clue how to level-set a rating for a chile beer, so I'll stick with a stout review. Pours reddish brown out of the bottle and sits almost completely black in the glass underneath a thick tan head that recedes very quickly to a collar.

The aroma is excellent - starting with some roasted coffee and dark chocolate malts. But there's definitely an intriguing pepper burn in the nostrils that keeps me from confusing this aroma for that of a straight-up stout.

The taste starts with sweetness, chocolate mostly, with a heftly dark malt backbone. There's some coffee bitterness that starts to come out, but the real uniqueness hits in the finish where the chipotle peppers come in. They start with a solid pepper character but then you realize your tongue is burning in the finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with soft carbonation and leaves that interesting burning sensation after each sip.

This is a very complex and original stout with the peppers really bringing something different to the table. I really enjoyed this one.

4.29/5  rDev +14.1%

Bomber from La Bodega. This stout is brewed with fresh locally roasted coffee from Kean Coffee, so in my opinion the fresher the better. Also, of course, it is brewed with chipotle peppers.

Pours the color of black coffee with a robust head dark tan head. It dissipates at moderate speed, but in the end little head lives on.

Aroma of roasted coffee, smoke, and dark malts hits first, followed up by some bittersweet chocolate. At first I am not sure if I am picking up a bit of spice or if it is just my imagination, but the next time my nose went to the glass the chipotle was clear to me for a split second. Since chipotles are smoked, this beer definitely will remind the drinker of a rauchbier.

The flavor is upfront with sweetened coffee and chocolate malts, highlighted by the sweet smokiness of the chipotles on the tip of the tongue. On the midpalate this is all about the freshly roasted coffee. Smokey, tingly, finish with bitter coffee and maybe even a touch of cinnamon. Honestly, I could not detect any spiciness until about half way through a pint of the stuff, when I finally noticed a touch of residual heat. This beer is not only creative, it walks a fine line between the roasted coffee, roasted barley malts, and smoked peppers. Considering the balance and creativity, for me this is an excellent American-style stout.

The mouthfeel is surprisingly light for having such rich flavors, but it doesn't feel wrong at all, it keeps me going back for the next sip. Active natural carbonation keeps the coffee and peppers prickling the tongue, causing the perfect confusion as to whether that is spice or just bubbles. Nice. One drawback is that the sweetness can take its toll on the palate, I would probably recommend splitting a bomber.

When I saw "Ale brewed with Coffee & Chipotle Peppers" I knew I had to taste it, what I didn't expect was such a well done brew that highlights outstanding coffee flavors as well as the delicate balance between sweetness and spice. My favorite bottled beer from Bootlegger's.

Recommended. For the locals, if you aren't keeping up with Bootlegger's you are going to get left behind. I have tasted this a couple times on draft as well, the the local roasted coffee stood out more, intense and delicious. I plan on putting up another review for the growler format soon.

4.26/5  rDev +13.3%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Purchased at K&L in RWC.

A: Pours a dark brown body, opaque right to the edges. It's capped by a half-finger of light beige foam, which retains decently and collapses into a moderate collar on top. There's no cap except for some effervescence generated by my etched Duvel tulip.

S: Smoked chili peppers; this reminds me of the smoked chipotle sauce I had at, well, Chipotle earlier. Roasted grains, chocolate, and even a touch of coffee are present. It took quite a bit of swirling to get all this, though. I wouldn't call this the most expressive aroma.

T: The taste is a bit better. Chocolate, coffee. This has the slight sourness of roasted grain that you find in non-imperial stouts; it's not quite a lactic twang, but I could see someone calling this a milk stout. I don't think it has the heft to hold up to adjuncts, but I don't think it's really trying for that, either. Instead of having a clean, roasty finish, it brings out an aftertaste of lingering coffee and smoked chipotle peppers. If I'm regarding this as a regular stout (or porter), it delivers; the adjuncts give it enough uniqueness to distinguish it from the average stout.

M: Light-medium bodied. Not a ton of residual sweetness, not a heavy body. This enhances the drinkability quite a bit. It's easy to put down a full bomber without feeling like I have a food baby.

D: For $5 it's well-priced, and it's tastier than a number of traditional stouts. I'd buy it again.

4.21/5  rDev +12%

Bootlegger's already makes several variants of its Black Phoenix beer; Spicenator Black Phoenix, Imperial Phoenix, Barrel-Aged Imperial Phoenix. Does a nitro version of Black Phoenix count as well. If it does, let's makes some notes of it:

Once again, that nitro gas leaves a super creamy, long lasting beige head atop a black body. Beautiful, once again. The nose is softer on nitro, but it still delivers the key notes, of spicy coffee, and even some brownie chocolate.

I'll confess, the nitro does soften the flavor. Still, it does it in a good way. The peppers are softer, which allows the stout part of the beer to come out. The dark malt body and the nitro gives the flavor of devil's food cake. It's very smooth and creamy in the mouth, medium bodied, and much easier to drink than the "standard" Black Phoenix.

So there are a few differences between the nitro and non-nitro versions. The nitro version is easier to take, while the non-nitro version fills your mouth with more spicy peppers and coffee. I'm totally taking this ride again.

4.2/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Dark brown w crimson hues. Tan head pops and fizzles slowly to a thick quilting.

Smells of molasses, nuts, coffee grinds, syrup and black licorice.

Tastes of maple syrup, cacao beans, caramel and a nice touch of hops. A hint of wood perhaps? Complex and concerted for the most part.

Viscous and medium with a palpable alcohol heat.

This beer proves you don't have to go big to be plain good and tasty.

4.19/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Serving Type: 22 ounce bomber poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Looks great, black, nice tan head with lots of tiny bubbles, head dissipates pretty quickly, nice carbonation.

Smell: A lot of roast from the coffee, smoky aromas from the chipotle, I'm getting more of smoky aroma than anything else.

Taste: Smoky flavor up front, getting the coffee in the middle with some bitterness, spicy chipotle aroma on the back end leading into some spice, a mild spice, alcohol is present at 6.7% but not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: Lost of carbonation, smooth, dry mouthfeel at the end.

Overall: Great beer, as for spiced beers this and Stone Smoked Porter with Chipotle are my two favorites.

4.18/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. Medium amount of head. Strong coffee aroma and light nutty and chile aromas. Slightly spicy front end followed by powerful coffee/stoutish flavors on the back end. Light to moderate sweetness. Low carbonation/very smooth going down typical of style.

4.14/5  rDev +10.1%

22oz bomber poured into a DFH pint glass. no bottling date

A- Pours a pitch black color with a moderate coffee-off white head.

S- smell is rich with a roasted coffee /frappuccino aroma. no spiciness detected

T - taste is a bit less flavorful than i would have liked. very slight chili pepper taste with a moderate amount of coffee overtones. there is no lingering heat to this one at all. however, its very enjoyable, just not a whallop of flavor.

Feel - light/medium bodied with medium carbonation. feel is not at all how it looks. extremely easy to gulp a pint of this one down.

overall not really what i was expecting but i was surprised by how much i enjoyed this one. it only has just a trace amount of heat to it, but it is very enjoyable. i was very much enjoying the coffee flavor of this stout. definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys coffee flavored ales.

4.14/5  rDev +10.1%

A- Deep brown, a ruby red on the edges, little head and rim retention last long.

S- Very smokey up front, with a bbq like smell, then the coffee and malt flood in finally a hint of pepper is at the end. Pretty good, like a stout that was just bbq.

T- A lot of coffee up front, taste simuilar to firestone's coffee porter. Deep chocolate/malt flavor. At the end is a herby/bitter/spicy. The chipotle blends with the hops, which is great, IPAs go great with something spicy. After taking some more sips the chipotle black pepper taste can be found throughout the whole taste very light. After a few sips there a very mild burn on the back of the tounge.

M- Chewy from the coffee, bit grainy too from the coffee and the pepper. Good carbonation.

D- I'll admit I have fall in love with add a dash of chipotle to beers. I've brewed my own chipotle ale turned out great. Its a great twist on a all ready good porter (or maybe its masking some of its bad traits) who knows... I def plan to drink more of this, although after one you might be running a risk of heart burn.

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

Received this one recently as part of a box from somewhere, I swear I get these all way too confused at times, but no matter, I cracked this one open after dinner last night to get my fix for something a bit different. Served chilled in a pint glass, it was consumed on 12/25/2009.

The pour was warm and inviting, rich dark brown in color, nearly black with a big tan head on top that showed no signs of letting it down. Nice webbing on the side of the glass, a really good look. Aroma was dominated by coffee at first. Rich, dark roast with a light touch of sweetness trying to balance it out. Not really picking up the peppers at first. I go in for a sip and a luscious, chocolate and coffee flavor rushes across the tongue, not terribly strong but nice and mellow, well thought out and nicely done. But the pepper kicks in about ten seconds after this sip with a nice light burning on the tongue and throat. Well done I have to admit with nothing coming across as too course or overdone. I was actually really digging this and with the smooth, even flavor and light abv, we had ourselves a winner.

Overall this was pretty damn solid I have to say. Nothing really over the top and the pepper really balanced well against the coffee, playing off each other very nicely. A solid brew from top to bottom.

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

Served on nitro at Bootlegger's tasting room in Fullerton.

A thick, viscous head stands above the cascading bubbles. Pitch black.

Coffee, vanilla. I didn't get any chipotle flavors in this beer.

Coffee, vanilla, chocolate upfront. There's a subdued complexity that gives the drinker a lot to think about without overpowering.

Creamy. So creamy.

Bootlegger's should only put this on nitro. It's so much amazingly better than the carbed up version.

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a deep, rich black color, with a nice, dense brown head. Coffee is prevalent on the nose, along with dark chocolate and just a hint of the promised chipotle. Tastes like a big roasty porter, with hints of coffee, smoke, chocolate and chipotle. As the beer warms, I start to feel a little more of the heat coming through. A very nice effort; smooth, flavorful and easy to drink.

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

Thanks to ericandersnavy for sharing this growler.

The beer pours a dark reddish-brown color with a white head. The aroma is very nice. I get chocolate, coffee, smoke and roasted malt. The flavor is roasted malt, chocolate and smoke. Medium to thick mouthfeel and low carbonation. I don't get a lot of pepper flavor or aroma, but I get the smoke from the chipotles. Very nice beer.

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

22 oz bomber courtesy of CaptinRedBeard, drank back in November. Pours a black color with a tan head. Bubbly lace and retention average at best.

Nose is mocha coffee, lots of cocoa and some milk chocolate. Little bit of raspberry fruitiness, but I did not get any chipotle.

Taste is bittersweet chocolate and some decent coffee roastiness. The chipotle addition is more of a light smoke/ash presence as opposed to spicy pepperiness, which is fine by me as I typically have not enjoyed any of the other beers I have had with chipotle. Mouthfeel is less than full, but enough and certainly not thin. Good beer, wasnt sure what to expect but it is a very nice little coffee stout here. Makes me want to try some more offerings from Bootlegger's. Nice and low ABV makes it that much more enjoyable.

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a pint glass from a bomber. Reviewed live.

A- Poured out a thick bubble head, two finger width. Almost no retention, like soda. Very well carbonated. About as black a beer as you can get.

S- What a smell! Coffee and chocolate but majorly spicy. Montezuma's hot chocolate! Very intriguing.

T- So many flavors are bouncing around in the beer and yet it manages to be drinkable and subtle. The coffee and typical porter tastes stir first but then subside to the spiciness of the peppers. Truly a unique beer for me.

M- Heavier, lots of carbonation (maybe a tad much) but a crystal clean finish. I almost wish it would linger longer so I could enjoy those crazy peppers.

O- Tasty, smells nice. Appearance and feel are less than perfect. Would love to try at the source.

4.1/5  rDev +9%

Appearance - Pours a burnt chocolate color into my SA Perfect Pint. Over two fingers of mocha colored head is achieved that dissipates relatively fast leaving little lacing.

Smell - Nice, sweet roasted malts. Bittersweet chocolate/cocoa, fresh coffee, and just a hint of the spicy peppers in the tail end of the aroma. With it sitting a few feet away I can still smell this beer. Can't wait to try it.

Taste - Similar to the nose but wow, you can really taste the chipotle peppers. This is a very tasty beer with the roasted malts and chocolate up front followed by the coffee bitterness and peppers. There is a lactic quality to this beer, and while the peppers can be tasted, they are not "spicy" per-say though they do add quite a dynamic to the beer. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, slightly creamy, decent carbonation.

Drinkability - Damn drinkable. And for how cheap this beer is, a definite repeat. Bootleggers continues to impress!

4.1/5  rDev +9%

22 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a nice black color. There a bit of reddish tints at the edges in the light. Medium-tan head turns into a bubbly film.

Aroma: Smells of coffee and roasted malts. No chipotle apparent, but smells like a decent stout.

Taste: Initial flavor of roasted malts and a bit of cream and coffee. Just a hint of chipotle peppers (though mostly just mild chipotle adobo) just before the finish, and barely into the aftertaste. Otherwise, the aftertaste is mostly just the roasted malts.

Mouthfeel: This is a pretty smooth beer; medium-bodied with pretty minimal carbonation.

Drinkability Quite drinkable as neither the taste nor the ABV are too strong, but the taste is quite pleasant.

Seriously, my only complaint here is that there's more coffee than chipotle! Though I love peppers, I wasn't a believer when I opened the bottle. But after a few sips, I realized it could totally work! So: More. Chipotle. Please.

Pretty please?!?!