Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Ale) - Bootlegger's Brewery

Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Ale)Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Ale)

pDev: 12%
Bootlegger's Brewery visit their website

American Stout |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: DoubleJ on 04-12-2009

Stout brewed with coffee and chipotle peppers.
3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

4.08/5  rDev +8.8%

I loves me muh stouts and porters!

A- Poured into a pint glass. Dark fudgy color and a milk chocolate head about a fingers width. The head dissipated almost too rapidly and the lacing was slippery to smooth. I enjoy looking at a deep rich ale in ambient lighting :)

S- A medium scent is evident with malts, coffee. As much as I hyped this ale up I was expecting something deeper =/

T- Smokey Roasted Malt, A piquant coffee/dark chocolate taste settles on the palate briefly, but this bottoms out quickly with the bold flavor. HOWEVER... The chipotle finishes quite well from the start to finish... but especially on the finish! I have had my share of chipotle beers and this one takes the cake. The nice subtle spice that tickles and plays with your tongue in the end definitely puts a smile on your face! Kudos bootleggers for pulling off what many chipotle beers can not!

MF- Scrumptious semi-thick stout, kinda syrupy and it sticks to your mouth for a bit. It is a deep beer with medium carbonation. This will go great with bbq or a greasy mexican fusion breakfast plate :P

O- I like my stouts and porters very much, this one is a very filling and bold stout. I don't know about breaking the wallet for one, but if you can afford it go for it! Yum yum YUM!

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

4.21/5  rDev +12.3%

Bootlegger's already makes several variants of its Black Phoenix beer; Spicenator Black Phoenix, Imperial Phoenix, Barrel-Aged Imperial Phoenix. Does a nitro version of Black Phoenix count as well. If it does, let's makes some notes of it:

Once again, that nitro gas leaves a super creamy, long lasting beige head atop a black body. Beautiful, once again. The nose is softer on nitro, but it still delivers the key notes, of spicy coffee, and even some brownie chocolate.

I'll confess, the nitro does soften the flavor. Still, it does it in a good way. The peppers are softer, which allows the stout part of the beer to come out. The dark malt body and the nitro gives the flavor of devil's food cake. It's very smooth and creamy in the mouth, medium bodied, and much easier to drink than the "standard" Black Phoenix.

So there are a few differences between the nitro and non-nitro versions. The nitro version is easier to take, while the non-nitro version fills your mouth with more spicy peppers and coffee. I'm totally taking this ride again.

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

Picked up a bomber while in El Segundo. I opened the bottle after dinner and it makes a fine dessert beer. It's by no means sweet, but there's a medium, thicker body and tasty cocoa notes. I only get the slighted hint of chipotle and heat once the beer warms to cellar temperature, but it's a nice touch. This is definitely not a beer to drink too cold, the subtle flavors are totally lost. I'm not getting any noticeable coffee, but the smooth chocolate liquor taste, balanced by a mild roast will ease your mind and please your palate. Give this a try if you find it.

4.5/5  rDev +20%

3.62/5  rDev -3.5%

22oz bottle from Whatsarezaf (thanks for the extra man!). No bottling info. Served in a Sweetwater 15 snifter.

Pours a deep, near-black brown with barely one finger tan head. Next to no lacing.

Interesting nose with coffee, cocoa and a hint of peppery spice.

Black coffee taste comes out first. A little bittersweet cocoa follows with a nice pepper bite on the finish. Not much else but not bad.

Fairly thin feel with mild carbonation.

No false advertising here- it says chipotle coffee stout on the bottle and that's exactly what it is. Not as big or complex as I prefer my stouts but overall it's not bad at all. No problems finishing the bottle myself in one sitting but not something I'll hunt in the future.

4.07/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a very dark brown color...borderline black. Has a small tan head. Scent is nice and toasty with some roasted malt and chocolate cocoa. Sweet vanilla and some cinnamon as well. Fresh coffee. Not really any chile or chipotle in the aroma. Taste is a little different however. Initially, there is a definite chile pepper flavor. Not heat, but just the flavor. The heat is very subdued and only comes through on the tip of the tongue after quite a few sips of this. Not overwhelming at all, just some tingling heat that lingers on the tip of the tongue and the lips. There are lovely coffee flavors and great cocoa taste. Very well balanced and a great way to introduce someone to what peppers can do to a beer. Mouthfeel is where this beers lacks... it's a little too light (I wish I could try the bourbon barrel aged version). Mild spicy finish. Drinkability is very high. Overall, this beer is an outstanding chile stout. I would definitely buy more of this.

3.61/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks to McD0uche for hooking me up with this one.

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown that is almost black. A one finger, khaki colored head sits on top which slowly fades to a thin film.

S: The overall aroma is a bit subdued. There is mostly roasted malts with a touch of coffee. I can't seem to find the chipotle at all in the nose.

T: The initial tastes are roasted malts and coffee again. But towards the finish, the chipotle peppers make their appearance. They provide some slight heat that isn't overpowering, just enough to let you know they're there.

M: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. There is almost a chewy feel to it. The peppers give off a slight heat that doesn't linger very long.

O: Overall, this was just slightly above average for me. I like the addition of chipotle peppers, just wish they were more present in the aroma. However, their presence in the taste saved this one for me.

2.75/5  rDev -26.7%

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

A - Pours a dark black with a hint of brown mixed in and a finger of frothy khaki colored head atop. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind a touch of lace.

S - Aroma is a mix of some roasted and burnt chocolate and coffee with a touch of sweetness and some peppers.

T - Starts off with some roasted and slightly burnt chocolate malts and coffee with a bit of hot pepper in the background. Through the middle some more pepper flavor comes through with some bitter coffee flavor and a bit of earthiness. The finish is a mix of roasted chocolate and coffee with a touch of pepper.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth was a warming, roasted, and dry finish.

D - Very drinkable. Nice stout and the touch of hot chipotle is a nice touch for some depth.

3.65/5  rDev -2.7%

Taste: I was taste-testing this, and I had to try this with a fresh bottle to be sure; but the biggest problem I have with this taste is the fact that it doesn't feel...carbonated. Like, even mildly. Its kind of flat.

That said, it still doesn't hold back the flavor of this. Its pretty smooth, with chocolate and coffee up in front with very little of the chipotle (which made me avoid this stout before). Instead its a little smoky flavor, and a little bit of bitter on the finish.

Overall: If you don't mind the light carbonation of it, its still a solid drink. I really wish it had more carbonation though, because I believe it would liven up the flavors. The man who was doing the samples said to get it on tap, and I think it'd help.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

On tap at the Playground in Santa Ana, California. (Shout out to tha homies.)

Raul b hesitant at first. I approached this thing like I wuz a mongoose and it was da cobra. And in tha end, I think we both won.

Crazy beer. Looked good n had a nice coffee smell. I wuz hesitant about the chipotle at first thinkin' it wuz a gimmick; but nah, dawgy, it wuz der.

Smooth beer, very smooth. Initial hits of the coffee flavor, den that lil spicy note crept up on me like all sudden n stuff. Kinda like wen I'm watchin tha Dodgers in my own zone, n my girl all of a sudden asks me for a 20 to get her nails did. She look good with her nails did.

Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Ale) from Bootlegger's Brewery