2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wild Fire Wheat - Bootlegger's Brewery

Wild Fire WheatWild Fire Wheat

good

Bootlegger's Brewery visit their website

Smoked Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: t0rin0 on 08-03-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 35 | Reviews: 18 | Show All Ratings:
JoshuaMason

3.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Vintage:2013
Appearance: Cloudy Orange, ¼” foamy head
Smell: Smokey Malts, Bacon, Sweet malts
Taste: Follows Nose in flavour and sequence
Mouth-feel: Light to Medium Body, long smoakey finish
Overall: A unique seasonal that captures the essence of the California Wild Fires. I would not crave it, but I am happy to have tried it.

02-01-2014 04:41:19 | More by JoshuaMason
lsummers

3.98/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

On tap it pours very cloudy with a two finger eggshell white head. The smell coming from this beer is pretty fantastic. Lots of traditional clove, citrus and banana esters. The one nice addition is the smokey quality that makes me think I could be having this wheat beer around a campfire.

Taste sets this really apart from all other wheat/hefe and smoked beers. The combination of clove, subtle hefeweizen yeast, citrus with a hint of banana is great on its own. Add in the campfire like smoked meat notes that aren't oveowering and you get a really great combo. It's very crisp and refreshing but has the added body. Aftertaste leaves you with a pleasant smoked meats and wood note.

Overall, I've had this before and will have it again. It's a must try for fans of smoked beers and wheat ones at that.

06-09-2013 18:57:11 | More by lsummers
UCLABrewN84

3.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Bootlegger’s Brewery in Fullerton, CA.

Pours a murky honey orange with an orange-tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of smoked wheat and slight campfire aromas. Taste is the same but the smoke is pretty mild flavor wise. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is easy to drink.

06-19-2012 01:43:49 | More by UCLABrewN84
Drinkerofales

3.8/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours cloudy gold with hints of orange. The traditional huge, never ending, fluffy white head ensues. At the bottom of the bottle the yeast intensifies this aspect, adding a light brown color.

Smells exactly like California during a wildfire. Unfortunately, it overpowers the wheat aspect, and while it's there, it's hard to pick up the sweet grassy smell I expect in a wheat. Then again, I like smoke beers, so this is all good.

Taste is surprisingly mellow. Some smoke, some grassy wheat tones. Nothing exciting here, just solid.

Feels like a wheat, bubbly and light, slightly tangy. The smoke doesn't make this difficult to drink.

Looks great, smells great, tastes kind of mild, feels great. They missed the most important part, doh. Just wish it had a touch more flavor, either smoke or wheat, doesn't matter which.

DOA

01-27-2012 09:41:42 | More by Drinkerofales
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.1/5  rDev -11.9%

nice dark brown with a head of tan that reaches a height of around an inch or so before settling back down and leaving some nice lacing along the sides.

Aroma is full of campfire smoke right off the bat. I had been expecting it but it really came off quite strong and full. Really nicely done here I have to admit. Nice notes of light chocolate and big roasted malts are always a welcome treat. Flavor carries this over quite well as the chocolate and earthy notes lay underneath that wonderful smoky campfire like flavor that leaves a long finish

11-21-2011 02:58:54 | More by mikesgroove
FosterJM

3.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

659th Review on BA
Bottle to Mug
22 oz

App- Darker orange with some yellow highlights. Huge two finger head with a line of cling around edges. Leaves a small layer of bubbles on the top of the beer.

Smell- There are a ton of smells in this glass. I get IPA, wheat beer and some smoke beer notes. It's malty, citrusy, toasty, and more.

Taste- I'm not the most apt to like smoke beer but this was a lot more tame and I was quite happy. It has some citrus notes and some malts and is like a faded IPA with some wheat on the back.

Mouth- Medium bodied and medium carbonated. A bit roasty and malty with a touch of smoke

Drink- Overall a lot better than I thought. The smoke was very tame and a lot more layers unfolded. A well done beer. Earns a better grade than I was gonna give.

07-21-2011 03:05:23 | More by FosterJM
MrVonzipper

3.95/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a hazy orange-brown with a short bubbly white head. Low retention and lacing.

Here's where the beer begins to be unlike any other. The first note on the nose for me was a smoky bacon. Also yeasty bread. And a touch of banana.

The flavor was Very unique and different from any beer I've ever had. Honestly if you took the smell of the wildfires we get here in southern CA and put it into a beer, that is the flavor spot on. It doesn't sound good when explained but it is actually pretty good. There's a sunflower seed like aftertaste as well.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. Surprisingly crisp.

Overall this beer is flat out Interesting. The most different beer I've ever had. That being said, it's not bad. It's just hard to say how good it is. But it is pretty good.

07-20-2011 21:29:03 | More by MrVonzipper
DarthKostrizer

3.8/5  rDev +8%

Look: Burnt orange color with 1/4 inch white bubbly head and no retentino but it does have some lacing

Smell: very fruity wheat smell im getting hints of apricot in this. Also has some bready yeast notes.

Taste: Funky smoked flavor that honestly reminds me of what a california brush fire smells like. If you live in california you will understand what I am talking about

Mouthfeel: medium body medium carbonation

Overall: This is hands down one of the most unique beers I have ever had. It's not bad and it's not great. I guess I would only describe it as interesting and worth a try.

07-20-2011 20:18:54 | More by DarthKostrizer
aknight

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

Appears a dark golden color. Smells of smoke with a little bit of sweetness coming through. The first taste to hit my palate was the smokiness followed by the sweetness. This beer almost has the sweetness of a Belgian golden ale which makes for an odd combination with the smoke. It is certainly an interesting combination though. The mouthfeel is not too heavy but still satisfying. This is a pleasant session beer. I don't know that I would buy another bottle but if I was somewhere where it was on draft I wouldn't hesitate to order one.

10-10-2010 23:18:00 | More by aknight
BA23598

3.85/5  rDev +9.4%

Killed a growler with the wifey...she thought it was lighter than the beers I usually drink (having a love affair with stouts right now).

A.looks like a smoked heff/ nice light head lasted a few minutes.
S. Toasted fruits? Go figure.. I can't describe it... Not offensive... Very light
T. Quite unique..First thought was that my friend would enjoy this... It's similar to DFH Sah Tea..,he loves that beer..I like how easily drinkable it is...but you'll either love it or move on...well since I bought a whole growler..I figured I'd chill and get AWESOME(drunk, hammered, toasted...etc.) with it.. Well I'm down to the last glass and I'm still enjoying how easily it goes down...although I'm only mildly AWESOME...
M. No carbonation in appearance but does bite the tounge a little.
D. Very

Serving type: growler

09-20-2010 05:40:14 | More by BA23598
ZX6Chris

4.58/5  rDev +30.1%

Disclaimer: I really like smoked beers.

A-Pours a golden yellow with a nice tight white head.

S-As the name suggests it's got a nice smoked character that I think compliments the citrus aroma.

T-Yum! The smoke follows through in the taste and an orange, citrus flavor that really compliment each other.

M-Here's where you get the wheat character. It's light, smooth and appropriately carbonated for the style.

D-This would pair perfectly with a nice Socal wildfire.

08-30-2010 04:26:10 | More by ZX6Chris
Overlord

1.88/5  rDev -46.6%

Almost everything I wanted to try from this brewery was tapped out ... this was not high on the list. And it didn't surprise me.

Pours a reddish orange. Inch or two of white foam.

Smells like burnt foliage. Ugh. Tell me that's going to get better.

Tastes like burnt plants, a hint of zest, and ... I just can't get beyond the smoked character. Where's the wheat? It was a chore to finish half a pint.

08-15-2010 18:40:28 | More by Overlord
womencantsail

2.58/5  rDev -26.7%

A: The pour is fitting, considering the name. A burnt orange color with a slightly off-white head.

S: Mostly smoke with some wheat and mild sweetness underneath. Maybe just a bit of peat.

T: The sweetness of the beer and the wheat are able to come come through moreso than on the nose. That said, the smoke is still the primary flavor component. The "fire" reference is certainly accurate.

M: The body is medium with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: You really have to enjoy smoke to like this beer. Personally, it was far too much for me.

07-02-2010 07:48:16 | More by womencantsail
Halcyondays

3.9/5  rDev +10.8%

On-tap at Bootlegger's,

A: Pours a murky burnt orange, light white head.

S: Mild smoke, with a lot of fermented stone fruit.

T: The smoke is not as crazy as I'd thought it would be. Some banana notes, but really a straight up American wheat beer, with not a lot of yeast complexity, but the smoke adds well to the overall flavour which I liked.

M: Light-bodied, with a elegant smoke character.

D: A nice drinkable wheat beer for the summertime. I think this would go well with summer July BBQ. I missed it last year, but am glad I got to try it in this go around.

06-12-2010 01:53:40 | More by Halcyondays
Gobzilla

2.6/5  rDev -26.1%

A: poured a light amber brown with a thin white head and decent sticky lacing on the glass.

S: smoked chipotle pepper aromas dominating the nose with hints of malts with no wheat character.

T: nice chipotle pepper flavor like the nose with a very mild spice with no malt or hop character and very little wheat presence.

M: light to medium body with hardly no carbonation and a mild spice on the palate.

D: I think that they could have done way better on this beer. It honestly seems liked they half ass it and didn't add enough of anything except peppers. although I did enjoy the pepper flavor that's about all it had.

05-22-2010 07:34:38 | More by Gobzilla
walows

3.9/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured into my New Belgian globe.
A: Pours to a golden color with a white head. It is crystal clear with a slight orange hue.
S: Smells like an american wheat, that malty wheatiness, followed by a nice smokey aroma from peat smoked malt. Not bad.
T: The yeast profile is nonexistent, mostly the malty sweetness and the smokiness comes in and it is a nice twist. It reminds me of bacon.
M: The carbonation is good and the body is good as well.
D: Very drinkable, A very nicely crafted beer.

Overall a very good beer, i see myself drinking these in my near future!

11-02-2009 16:57:06 | More by walows
DoubleJ

On-tap at Heroe's in a 32 ounce mug. On to the beer:

Murky brown with a tint of orange. There always remains a little bit of foam on top and a little bit of lacing on the mug. It smells like....smoked meats. It's a mild smokey aroma, not overpowering as say an Aecht Schlenkerla Urbock. And there's even some banana and BBQ sauce. At first taste, it tastes just like the brewery's regualar hefeweizen. But soon enough, you catch that smoke. First, you taste some banana's foster. Then, you get the smoked wheat flavor. BBQ baked beans comes from nowhere. Malted wheat closes it out.

I continue to be impressed by the work Aaron is doing at Bootlegger's. Smoked bananas don't sound appealing, yet it works in this beer. I'm happy to see a locally produced smoked beer on the market, but more importantly, one that tastes good.

08-19-2009 04:20:11 | More by DoubleJ
t0rin0

3.68/5  rDev +4.5%

Free sample at Bootleggers. 7/31/2009

Pours hazy and amber/light brown/yellow, halfway between pale wheat and dark wheat. White head, decent retention and lace.

Aroma is wheaty and an unmistakeably smokey and spicy. No banana, definitely american wheat ale.

Flavor is heavy on the smoke, too much for my taste. Wheatiness and spiciness that I thought came from rye but I was informed that there is no rye in this beer.

Very light and pretty drinkable. But then its a summer beer.

08-03-2009 00:32:08 | More by t0rin0