Wild Fire Wheat - Bootlegger's Brewery

good

Bootlegger's Brewery visit their website

Smoked Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: t0rin0 on 08-03-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.58/5  rDev +29.7%

Disclaimer: I really like smoked beers.

A-Pours a golden yellow with a nice tight white head.

S-As the name suggests it's got a nice smoked character that I think compliments the citrus aroma.

T-Yum! The smoke follows through in the taste and an orange, citrus flavor that really compliment each other.

M-Here's where you get the wheat character. It's light, smooth and appropriately carbonated for the style.

D-This would pair perfectly with a nice Socal wildfire.

ZX6Chris, Aug 30, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

TouchOfEvil, Jan 29, 2012

thkrb99, Mar 12, 2014

On-tap at Heroe's in a 32 ounce mug. On to the beer:

Murky brown with a tint of orange. There always remains a little bit of foam on top and a little bit of lacing on the mug. It smells like....smoked meats. It's a mild smokey aroma, not overpowering as say an Aecht Schlenkerla Urbock. And there's even some banana and BBQ sauce. At first taste, it tastes just like the brewery's regualar hefeweizen. But soon enough, you catch that smoke. First, you taste some banana's foster. Then, you get the smoked wheat flavor. BBQ baked beans comes from nowhere. Malted wheat closes it out.

I continue to be impressed by the work Aaron is doing at Bootlegger's. Smoked bananas don't sound appealing, yet it works in this beer. I'm happy to see a locally produced smoked beer on the market, but more importantly, one that tastes good.

DoubleJ, Aug 19, 2009

drgonzo2k2, Mar 25, 2013

Smarty_Pints, Sep 11, 2013
3.98/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

On tap it pours very cloudy with a two finger eggshell white head. The smell coming from this beer is pretty fantastic. Lots of traditional clove, citrus and banana esters. The one nice addition is the smokey quality that makes me think I could be having this wheat beer around a campfire.

Taste sets this really apart from all other wheat/hefe and smoked beers. The combination of clove, subtle hefeweizen yeast, citrus with a hint of banana is great on its own. Add in the campfire like smoked meat notes that aren't oveowering and you get a really great combo. It's very crisp and refreshing but has the added body. Aftertaste leaves you with a pleasant smoked meats and wood note.

Overall, I've had this before and will have it again. It's a must try for fans of smoked beers and wheat ones at that.

lsummers, Jun 09, 2013
3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a hazy orange-brown with a short bubbly white head. Low retention and lacing.

Here's where the beer begins to be unlike any other. The first note on the nose for me was a smoky bacon. Also yeasty bread. And a touch of banana.

The flavor was Very unique and different from any beer I've ever had. Honestly if you took the smell of the wildfires we get here in southern CA and put it into a beer, that is the flavor spot on. It doesn't sound good when explained but it is actually pretty good. There's a sunflower seed like aftertaste as well.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. Surprisingly crisp.

Overall this beer is flat out Interesting. The most different beer I've ever had. That being said, it's not bad. It's just hard to say how good it is. But it is pretty good.

MrVonzipper, Jul 20, 2011
3.92/5  rDev +11%

dagubna, Wednesday at 10:05 AM
3.9/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into my New Belgian globe.
A: Pours to a golden color with a white head. It is crystal clear with a slight orange hue.
S: Smells like an american wheat, that malty wheatiness, followed by a nice smokey aroma from peat smoked malt. Not bad.
T: The yeast profile is nonexistent, mostly the malty sweetness and the smokiness comes in and it is a nice twist. It reminds me of bacon.
M: The carbonation is good and the body is good as well.
D: Very drinkable, A very nicely crafted beer.

Overall a very good beer, i see myself drinking these in my near future!

walows, Nov 02, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +10.5%

On-tap at Bootlegger's,

A: Pours a murky burnt orange, light white head.

S: Mild smoke, with a lot of fermented stone fruit.

T: The smoke is not as crazy as I'd thought it would be. Some banana notes, but really a straight up American wheat beer, with not a lot of yeast complexity, but the smoke adds well to the overall flavour which I liked.

M: Light-bodied, with a elegant smoke character.

D: A nice drinkable wheat beer for the summertime. I think this would go well with summer July BBQ. I missed it last year, but am glad I got to try it in this go around.

Halcyondays, Jun 12, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Killed a growler with the wifey...she thought it was lighter than the beers I usually drink (having a love affair with stouts right now).

A.looks like a smoked heff/ nice light head lasted a few minutes.
S. Toasted fruits? Go figure.. I can't describe it... Not offensive... Very light
T. Quite unique..First thought was that my friend would enjoy this... It's similar to DFH Sah Tea..,he loves that beer..I like how easily drinkable it is...but you'll either love it or move on...well since I bought a whole growler..I figured I'd chill and get AWESOME(drunk, hammered, toasted...etc.) with it.. Well I'm down to the last glass and I'm still enjoying how easily it goes down...although I'm only mildly AWESOME...
M. No carbonation in appearance but does bite the tounge a little.
D. Very

BA23598, Sep 20, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

Look: Burnt orange color with 1/4 inch white bubbly head and no retentino but it does have some lacing

Smell: very fruity wheat smell im getting hints of apricot in this. Also has some bready yeast notes.

Taste: Funky smoked flavor that honestly reminds me of what a california brush fire smells like. If you live in california you will understand what I am talking about

Mouthfeel: medium body medium carbonation

Overall: This is hands down one of the most unique beers I have ever had. It's not bad and it's not great. I guess I would only describe it as interesting and worth a try.

DarthKostrizer, Jul 20, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours cloudy gold with hints of orange. The traditional huge, never ending, fluffy white head ensues. At the bottom of the bottle the yeast intensifies this aspect, adding a light brown color.

Smells exactly like California during a wildfire. Unfortunately, it overpowers the wheat aspect, and while it's there, it's hard to pick up the sweet grassy smell I expect in a wheat. Then again, I like smoke beers, so this is all good.

Taste is surprisingly mellow. Some smoke, some grassy wheat tones. Nothing exciting here, just solid.

Feels like a wheat, bubbly and light, slightly tangy. The smoke doesn't make this difficult to drink.

Looks great, smells great, tastes kind of mild, feels great. They missed the most important part, doh. Just wish it had a touch more flavor, either smoke or wheat, doesn't matter which.

DOA

Drinkerofales, Jan 27, 2012

drewone, Sep 08, 2012

BigLittleHokis, Sep 13, 2012

nebuchadnezzer, Jul 14, 2014

2beerdogs, Jul 17, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Free sample at Bootleggers. 7/31/2009

Pours hazy and amber/light brown/yellow, halfway between pale wheat and dark wheat. White head, decent retention and lace.

Aroma is wheaty and an unmistakeably smokey and spicy. No banana, definitely american wheat ale.

Flavor is heavy on the smoke, too much for my taste. Wheatiness and spiciness that I thought came from rye but I was informed that there is no rye in this beer.

Very light and pretty drinkable. But then its a summer beer.

t0rin0, Aug 03, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Bootlegger’s Brewery in Fullerton, CA.

Pours a murky honey orange with an orange-tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of smoked wheat and slight campfire aromas. Taste is the same but the smoke is pretty mild flavor wise. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is easy to drink.

UCLABrewN84, Jun 19, 2012
3.55/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Vintage:2013
Appearance: Cloudy Orange, ¼” foamy head
Smell: Smokey Malts, Bacon, Sweet malts
Taste: Follows Nose in flavour and sequence
Mouth-feel: Light to Medium Body, long smoakey finish
Overall: A unique seasonal that captures the essence of the California Wild Fires. I would not crave it, but I am happy to have tried it.

JoshuaMason, Feb 01, 2014

jonbonfon, Oct 05, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

Appears a dark golden color. Smells of smoke with a little bit of sweetness coming through. The first taste to hit my palate was the smokiness followed by the sweetness. This beer almost has the sweetness of a Belgian golden ale which makes for an odd combination with the smoke. It is certainly an interesting combination though. The mouthfeel is not too heavy but still satisfying. This is a pleasant session beer. I don't know that I would buy another bottle but if I was somewhere where it was on draft I wouldn't hesitate to order one.

aknight, Oct 11, 2010