Winter Ale - Chocolate Mint Porter - Bootlegger's Brewery

Winter Ale - Chocolate Mint PorterWinter Ale - Chocolate Mint Porter

Bootlegger's Brewery visit their website

American Porter |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: vacax on 11-27-2009

I really enjoyed this beer. I got this as a gift and it become my favorite beer. Great taste. Nice buzz. I watched it with an old godzilla film and it was the perfect combo.

The taste is not quite chocolate and not quite mint. The flavors don't overwhelm each other, but play well together.

4.84/5  rDev +41.1%

If you love chocolate mint ice cream or cake, this is the perfect beer for you. Poured in a lighter brown color, with a rich smell of chocolate in the glass. Drinks very smooth, even for someone who normally cannot handle dark beers. The rush of flavor was first chocolate, followed by a hint of mint while you finished the drink. The aftertaste was a heavenly medley of the perfect mix of chocolate and mint. Recommended for anyone.

4.25/5  rDev +23.9%

4.18/5  rDev +21.9%

Poured into a half-pint mason jar at the brewery.

Makes for a black brew, and light colored head.

Smells of sweet chocolate and a hint of mint.

Tastes of, get this, mint and chocolate. Amazing right? It is what it says it is. Great flavors, very unique beer.

Feels ok, a touch thin.

I love the originality of this beer. Flavors are there, exactly what it says, the name isn't original, but the beer is.

DOA

4.06/5  rDev +18.4%

At Bootlegger's in Fullerton.

Looks like a porter.

The chocolate mint is a surprising twist. Initially got anise when I wasn't looking for the smell, but going into looking for the mint you'll definitely find it.

Surprised. Again. There's just enough mint to make you think twice about this porter. Mint chocolate chip ice cream comes to mind, without a cloying sweetness though.

Medium bodied. Oily.

This is a great turn of creativity from the traditional winter ales. A nod of approval to Bootlegger's for creating a nice balance with this seasonal ale.

4.02/5  rDev +17.2%

Bootlegger's Brewery is brewing a different winter seasonal ale every year. For 2009 they have devised the Chocolate Mint Porter, a combination that works so well I am surprised this is the first time I have experienced it in a beer.

The pour is ridiculously dark brown, bordering on black, yet I can make out a bit of a cloudiness underneath the darkness. The head was a creeper, nothing at first but as I finished filling my glass two fingers of cocoa colored foam appeared. Head retention was moderate to low, and I suspect the oils of the mint leaves may be the culprit here. Ten pounds of fresh peppermint and spearmint were utilized in the boil, and an additional mint tea injection was added later on.

I recommend letting this one warm up quite a bit, I find it just gets nicer the longer it sits out. The aroma certainly exudes a mint presence, as well as cocoa, and some roast in the background. The mint can come off as a bit catty in the nose, though overall I find it quite appealing.

The flavor kicks off with a chocolate malt character that is infused with peppermint. It is evident this beer is very herbal, that mint is inescapable throughout the experience. The finish brings spearmint, roast, and a touch of cookie. The finish is not especially sweet, the mint and roast resulting in a touch of dryness. Mouthfeel is one of the highest points of this beer, it is full bodied and slippery with lightly creamy medium carbonation.

This is one of those beers that is pleasant to drink, feels nice, and introduces new flavors to my beer palate. It tastes good yes, though it is hard to judge a beer that challenges my palate. Is it too minty? Not chocolatey enough? Maybe, for my taste. But perhaps this is exactly what was intended. Hey, it is the best chocolate mint beer I have ever had.

Glad I was able to find this beer when I got back home to CA after Christmas Break in the Midwest.

Appearance - Pours a dark hazelnut brown with about a finger of quickly dissipating tan head that leaves little lacing. Just a hint of light shines through the class.

Smell - Dark roasted malts, chocolate, and MINT!

Taste - I will preface this by saying I freaking love mint flavor and after hearing about this beer being on tap last winter (not bottled), wanting it ever since hearing it, and then seeing a bottle of it today, I was psyched. I get three flavors, same as the nose. Malts, bitter chocolate, and amazing mint. I am quaffing this sucker. I am bummed this was the last one. I would go pick up at least another two tomorrow if they had them.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, lower carbonation yet it seems prickly?

Drinkability - I am thoroughly enjoying this beer. Extremely easy for me to drink. I may be biased because of my mint craze, but damnit, I am really enjoying this beer while putting Christmas decorations away.

dark, murky brown. A large two inch plus head formed quickly on the top and held on for what seemed like forever. Unrelenting as I thought it would be it finally gave way and left behind tons of gooey sticky brown lace in its wake.

Huge roasted caramel like smell, sweet and sugary mixed in with a touch of a brandy like quality upon first aroma. As it started to warm, a lot of subtle things started to come about. Lots of cinnamon and nutmeg were present, a noticeable bitter hoppiness, smokey, rustic type of taste would be the best way to describe it. Lots of caramel, nuts, and cinnamon were intermixed with a nice deep cereal and grainey base. The hops were ever present, but no where near in total control. This was really more then balanced, it was more unique and intrsting. a nice dry hopped bitter finish too!

12/10/2011

Bottle purchased at Bootlegger's. I've wanted to try this beer since the first release a couple years ago. In theory, it sounds excellent. Snifter.

A: Pitch black with two fingers of light brown foam. Good retention.

S: In the nose I get roasted grains and cocoa with a well integrated and tasteful mint presence. Mint beers I've had in the past smell overwhelmingly of spearmint, dominating the other aspects of the beer. That is not the case with this beer. I detect a shadow of dark fruit.

T: Dark chocolate blends with cocoa and moderately roasted malt. As was the case in the aroma, the mint is tasteful in the flavor and goes very well with the chocolate and roast. There's a light bitterness. No alcohol is evident. Tastes like mint chocolate chip ice cream.

M: Full body with upper medium carbonation.

Overall: This is well done. Unlike other mint beers I've had, the mint in this beer does not hinder drinkability.

A: poured a dark brown in color with ruby brown highlights that had a thin brown head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: the mint definitely pops out on the aroma with s good chocolate presence slight roastiness and faint coffee spice notes.

T: the minty leaf character is also apparent on the palate which meshed quite well with the coffee flavors but had chocolate roasty accents.

M: the brew was medium in body with a fair amount of carbonation which a sweet, minty, mild roasty, and silky finish.

D: it drank good and was very surprised on how tasty it was considering I'm not a big fan of mint.

Winter Ale - Chocolate Mint Porter from Bootlegger's Brewery