Winter Ale - Chocolate Mint Porter - Bootlegger's Brewery

Bootlegger's Brewery visit their website

American Porter |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: vacax on 11-27-2009

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

I really enjoyed this beer. I got this as a gift and it become my favorite beer. Great taste. Nice buzz. I watched it with an old godzilla film and it was the perfect combo.

The taste is not quite chocolate and not quite mint. The flavors don't overwhelm each other, but play well together. (292 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +39.5%

If you love chocolate mint ice cream or cake, this is the perfect beer for you. Poured in a lighter brown color, with a rich smell of chocolate in the glass. Drinks very smooth, even for someone who normally cannot handle dark beers. The rush of flavor was first chocolate, followed by a hint of mint while you finished the drink. The aftertaste was a heavenly medley of the perfect mix of chocolate and mint. Recommended for anyone. (433 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +20.5%

Poured into a half-pint mason jar at the brewery.

Makes for a black brew, and light colored head.

Smells of sweet chocolate and a hint of mint.

Tastes of, get this, mint and chocolate. Amazing right? It is what it says it is. Great flavors, very unique beer.

Feels ok, a touch thin.

I love the originality of this beer. Flavors are there, exactly what it says, the name isn't original, but the beer is.

DOA (412 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +17%

At Bootlegger's in Fullerton.

Looks like a porter.

The chocolate mint is a surprising twist. Initially got anise when I wasn't looking for the smell, but going into looking for the mint you'll definitely find it.

Surprised. Again. There's just enough mint to make you think twice about this porter. Mint chocolate chip ice cream comes to mind, without a cloying sweetness though.

Medium bodied. Oily.

This is a great turn of creativity from the traditional winter ales. A nod of approval to Bootlegger's for creating a nice balance with this seasonal ale. (560 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +15.9%

Bootlegger's Brewery is brewing a different winter seasonal ale every year. For 2009 they have devised the Chocolate Mint Porter, a combination that works so well I am surprised this is the first time I have experienced it in a beer.

The pour is ridiculously dark brown, bordering on black, yet I can make out a bit of a cloudiness underneath the darkness. The head was a creeper, nothing at first but as I finished filling my glass two fingers of cocoa colored foam appeared. Head retention was moderate to low, and I suspect the oils of the mint leaves may be the culprit here. Ten pounds of fresh peppermint and spearmint were utilized in the boil, and an additional mint tea injection was added later on.

I recommend letting this one warm up quite a bit, I find it just gets nicer the longer it sits out. The aroma certainly exudes a mint presence, as well as cocoa, and some roast in the background. The mint can come off as a bit catty in the nose, though overall I find it quite appealing.

The flavor kicks off with a chocolate malt character that is infused with peppermint. It is evident this beer is very herbal, that mint is inescapable throughout the experience. The finish brings spearmint, roast, and a touch of cookie. The finish is not especially sweet, the mint and roast resulting in a touch of dryness. Mouthfeel is one of the highest points of this beer, it is full bodied and slippery with lightly creamy medium carbonation.

This is one of those beers that is pleasant to drink, feels nice, and introduces new flavors to my beer palate. It tastes good yes, though it is hard to judge a beer that challenges my palate. Is it too minty? Not chocolatey enough? Maybe, for my taste. But perhaps this is exactly what was intended. Hey, it is the best chocolate mint beer I have ever had. (1,817 characters)

Glad I was able to find this beer when I got back home to CA after Christmas Break in the Midwest.

Appearance - Pours a dark hazelnut brown with about a finger of quickly dissipating tan head that leaves little lacing. Just a hint of light shines through the class.

Smell - Dark roasted malts, chocolate, and MINT!

Taste - I will preface this by saying I freaking love mint flavor and after hearing about this beer being on tap last winter (not bottled), wanting it ever since hearing it, and then seeing a bottle of it today, I was psyched. I get three flavors, same as the nose. Malts, bitter chocolate, and amazing mint. I am quaffing this sucker. I am bummed this was the last one. I would go pick up at least another two tomorrow if they had them.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, lower carbonation yet it seems prickly?

Drinkability - I am thoroughly enjoying this beer. Extremely easy for me to drink. I may be biased because of my mint craze, but damnit, I am really enjoying this beer while putting Christmas decorations away. (1,034 characters)

dark, murky brown. A large two inch plus head formed quickly on the top and held on for what seemed like forever. Unrelenting as I thought it would be it finally gave way and left behind tons of gooey sticky brown lace in its wake.

Huge roasted caramel like smell, sweet and sugary mixed in with a touch of a brandy like quality upon first aroma. As it started to warm, a lot of subtle things started to come about. Lots of cinnamon and nutmeg were present, a noticeable bitter hoppiness, smokey, rustic type of taste would be the best way to describe it. Lots of caramel, nuts, and cinnamon were intermixed with a nice deep cereal and grainey base. The hops were ever present, but no where near in total control. This was really more then balanced, it was more unique and intrsting. a nice dry hopped bitter finish too! (822 characters)

12/10/2011

Bottle purchased at Bootlegger's. I've wanted to try this beer since the first release a couple years ago. In theory, it sounds excellent. Snifter.

A: Pitch black with two fingers of light brown foam. Good retention.

S: In the nose I get roasted grains and cocoa with a well integrated and tasteful mint presence. Mint beers I've had in the past smell overwhelmingly of spearmint, dominating the other aspects of the beer. That is not the case with this beer. I detect a shadow of dark fruit.

T: Dark chocolate blends with cocoa and moderately roasted malt. As was the case in the aroma, the mint is tasteful in the flavor and goes very well with the chocolate and roast. There's a light bitterness. No alcohol is evident. Tastes like mint chocolate chip ice cream.

M: Full body with upper medium carbonation.

Overall: This is well done. Unlike other mint beers I've had, the mint in this beer does not hinder drinkability. (941 characters)

A: poured a dark brown in color with ruby brown highlights that had a thin brown head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: the mint definitely pops out on the aroma with s good chocolate presence slight roastiness and faint coffee spice notes.

T: the minty leaf character is also apparent on the palate which meshed quite well with the coffee flavors but had chocolate roasty accents.

M: the brew was medium in body with a fair amount of carbonation which a sweet, minty, mild roasty, and silky finish.

D: it drank good and was very surprised on how tasty it was considering I'm not a big fan of mint. (619 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +11.2%

Freshly filled growler from the source itself, on to the beer:

It's black like charcoal. The head retention is poor, and a thin ring of lace hangs around on top of the beer. doesn't Lots of fresh green mint in the aroma. Some chocolate cake batter sits in the background, but the mint continues to dominate. You really need to love mint to love the aroma. A little more malt would make it better for me, but s'far, interesting.

To my satisfaction, it is minty, thought not overpowering minty. But seriously, the mint flavor is the most dominant as you taste it. There's a little bit of semi-sweet chocolate chunks in the background, and a faint roastiness to compliment the sum. The feel of the liquid is thinner than I would like. Some bubbles hit the sides of the tongue.

My first mint beer has some good to it. I would have liked more malt to it though. It's good enough as it is, but even better when I paired it with a slice of chocolate cake.

Update 1 day later: More chocolate malt is showing itself. Not quite as thin as I remember too. I'll have no problem finishing the growler, and I think I may get more. (1,122 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +11%

Type: 22-oz. bomber
Glass: Stone pint glass
From: Bine and Vine in Kensington (San Diego, Calif.)
Price: $5.99
BOD: None

Almost complete black with 1-2 fingers of tan head that dissipated had a fast rate. No lacing on the sides. Below average retention on the top.

Smelled dark chocolate and bitter coffee beans up front, also toffee and caramel. That gave way to some mint and candy cane in hot chocolate. Reminded me a tad of Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream.

Tasted close to the smell, only a bit mintier. Got that heavy dark chocolate malts (also coffee and hot chocolate), then right to the mint (a lot faster transition than the smell). Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream was the common theme here with the chocolate chips being more dark chocolate than anything else.

Full body. Creamy texture. Average carbonation. Long minty chocolate finish.

Not a bad beer, definitely something different. I guess I was expecting a little better, considering my love of Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. I’d have it again though. (1,022 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +10.7%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours brown with a soft white head, fair retention, looks watery there at the end.

S: It smells like it should. York Peppermint patty, light dark chocolate, the mint stands out.

T: Just glad the mint is not over the top, that would have pissed me off a bit. I like mint, but it can certainly go overboard. Solid base porter, good roasted malt and chocolate flavours, with a moderate mint play; unique I don't know why other brewers haven't thought of this first.

M: Somewhat thin for me at 6.2%, but creamy and smooth.

D: Been wanting to try this since I heard about it, I was certainly not blown away, but a very enjoyable beer for sure. (671 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours like a stout. Looks thick black and very little brown head that goes away fast. The smell is amazing!!!! Leather, Chocolate, floral (roses), black liqorice, "spices", and tobacco.
Taste is Bitter up front with sweet, leathery scents. It is as if I smoked a cigar with this one on the pallet. And ohhh yeah.. mint (if you look for it). The only gripe about this one is the watery mouthfeel and fuzzy carbonation. Overall, How does this one get lower scores than what it is worth? My first Bootlegger's and I look forward to all the others. (545 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +7.5%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

Big thanks to Trxxpaxxs for this bottle!

Reviewed blind as part of Blind BIF 6. It pours a straight obsidian topped by over a finger of dark brown foam. The nose comprises chocolate powder, roasted malts, and the distinct fog of what can only be described as mint. Hmmm...interesting here...the mint, with every successive sniff, comes off as dryer, more nutty almost... I can't tell if my nostrils are just getting tired (I've seen this happen before) or if they were just mistaken before... The taste is dominated by the cocoa, with some roast picking up the rear. The mint still appears here, but more demure, and it once again morphs into an odd nuttiness (not odd in a bad way, but odd in an indecipherable way). Hmm... The body is a stolid medium, with a light moderate carbonation, and a mostly smooth feel, which comes across as kinda fizzy and dry near the end, but the light coating evens everything out to a flat-out panoply of pleasantness. Overall, a very nice beer, one that doesn't overdo it on the mint (I almost wanted more of it...), making everything nice and tasty. (1,130 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +6.6%

On-tap at the Blue Palms

A: An innocent enough looking porter. Very, very dark brown bordering on black. The head is a thin layer of tan foam.

S: You can definitely pick up the mint. The beer needs to warm up just a bit for the chocolate to come out. Once it's a little below room temperature, this thing smells like a peppermint patty.

T: The mint is very strong on the palate. Again, the chocolate is somewhat subdued, but present. While there are some other flavors (chocolate, roasted malt, etc.), the mint really overpowers them.

M: A medium to full bodied beer with a moderate level of carbonation. Not quite as creamy on the tongue as I was hoping.

D: You really have to like mint to enjoy this beer. I found it nice to try, but I wouldn't want to down a whole pint of the stuff. (791 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pretty much black with a nice one finger light brown colored head.

S: Good powdery chocolate aroma and a strong whiff of mint as well. Some roasted malt in the background.

T: Nowhere near as sweet as the smell. Roasted malt with a bit of mint upfront and then some lighter notes of dark chocolate and maybe a bit of coffee. Mouthfeel is a bit watery and the flavors aren't quite strong enough to make up for it. A pretty good beer overall, but probably not something I'd get again. (487 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +6.1%

Mint is not too intense, and it taste like actual mint leaves as opposed to a chewing gum mint flavor. Dark roasted malt is the other main flavor. A distinct touch of charred barley in the aftertaste. A fairly light bodied and modestly flavored dark beer in other respects.

Long scent of peppermint and a hint of chocolate. Hops are quite restrained. Keeps the watery and refreshing quality of some lighter Porters. Big foam-up on first pour but looks nice and retains it's carbonation in the mouth. A pleasant quaff, though it's a little sweet tasting after a big glass. A fun beer that's worth a taste if you're in the mood. (628 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a dark brown with a black core. Smells like chocolate and ... wait for it .... wait for it .... MINT MOTHERF****R!

Yeah. This is pretty much like drinking a liquified mint-chip girl scout cookie. Mmm. Mint, sweet milk chocolate, and a bit, just a bit, of MOAR MINT!

Oddly enough, it's a tad dry and thin, though it certainly seems sweet at first glance.

I sorta dug it as a novelty. (391 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance: Black with minimal brown head which had faded by the time my pint was brought to me. Almost no lacing.

Smell: Mint leaves, milk chocolate, malty, anise.

Taste: Just like it smells, milk chocolate, mint, malty, anise, a bit medicinal towards the finish.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

Overall: A tasty beer. Initially the mint/chocolate are very prevalent, but they fade to a medicinal/anise taste towards the end that kills this beer. Overall, drinkability is high. (499 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber into a pint glass, the Mint Chocolate Porter pours dark brown and almost black in color. Half an inch of mocha foam offers moderate retention.

Nose of roasted malts, a touch of chocolate and a notable spearmint character. Pleasant mint and not overdone in potency. Bit of spice balances things out with nutmeg and cinnamon, which become more pronounced vs. the mint with warming.

The mint is quite forward on the palate, with chocolate malt present but subdued in the middle and finishing with more muddled mint and roast notes with a touch of black cherry and spice. Decent feel, bit sweet on the finish. Might become a bit much after a glass or two as the base beer aside of the mint seems to lack much complexity. (725 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +4.3%

Thanks to McD0uche for hooking me up with this one.

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very, very dark brown most nearly black color. It appears pretty dense as it is poured. It has a two finger mocha colored head that reduces to a thin film rather quickly.

S: The aroma is a nice balance of chocolate and roasted malts with a bit of bitter dark chocolate and a little kick of mint towards the finish. Quite pleasant.

T: Unfortunately, the taste doesn't match up to the aroma. The malt characters are a bit flat as are the chocolate and mint additions.

M: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. The minty finish sort of acts as a palate cleanser. Pretty good.

O: I enjoyed this take on a porter. The additions of chocolate and mint were wonderful in the aroma, but like other aspects, they fell short in the taste. Not a bad offering overall. (883 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -0.3%

934th Review on BA
Bottle to Mug
22 oz

2011 Bottle

App- I've used this analogy a lot lately and this one couldn't be more true. Liquid chocolate in the glass with a good two finger head. Dots of cling but not stick.

Smell- There isn't much you aren't expecting. Chocolate, malt and like Overlord says. Mint. Like a liquid peppermint patty but just tamed way down.

Taste- Damn!! I wanted a thick lush flavor profile like the pour. This was a bit thin and watery. Had a decent amount of malt and mint. Needed to be kicked up a bit. A good bit of smooth chocolate and roast.

Mouth- A good bit of a creamy/watery body and then has a nice bit of low/medium carbonation to it. Pretty smooth really.

Drink- I like the seasonals from Bootlegger's. Wildfire wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. Pumpking was good and this okay. This needed a bit more thickness to it with some more balance. (889 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Pours a deep dark black with a couple fingers of light mocha colored head. The aroma is no surprise - mint and chocolate, with the mint being more of the focus. There's some malts lingering in the background as well. The taste has a lot more roasted malt than expected - kind of oddly annoys the palate. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with decent carbonation, but again is slightly lacking.

Overall, and ok beer, and could've been executed better. I think a more pronounced chocolate and sweetness (no diabeetus though!) character could've helped this one. (594 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a Bruery snifter...

A - Pours a deep brown with a two finger light brown head that dissipates at a good pace. There is a little lacing to be had, but it is minimal...

S - Roasted malts and mint. Not picking up any chocolate...

T - As with the smell, mint is definitely prominate here. Also pick up some chocolate and some roasted malts. Finishes with roasted malts, and mint that carries all the way through the aftertaste...

M - Pretty thin. On the lighter side of medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation...

O - Interesting brew that i'm glad I got a chance to try. My only other experience with mint in a beer is a batch of homebrew that turned out overly minty. Unfortunately, it seems to be the same case here. Mint dominates the other flavors. Not bad per se, but not something I see myself buying again...

Cheers... (861 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -0.6%

Appearance- pours with a half finger of head subsiding rapidly with minimal lacing. Quite a dark porter.

Smell- MINT! Really not too overpowering, almost more anis than mint, but a funk that I've never expected from a brew...and it's fun. Still has undertones of rich toasty malt.

Taste- a brighter porter. Licorice flavor arrives in the after taste out the nose. The mint gives attributes of a little unbalanced bitterness but the maltiness comes back to finish well.

Mouthfeel- full bodied and well smooth

Overall- one of those beers meant for sharing in the 22. Meant to keep your taste buds on eir toes. Something to get again next season. (647 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast