Winter Ale - Chocolate Mint Porter - Bootlegger's Brewery

Winter Ale - Chocolate Mint PorterWinter Ale - Chocolate Mint Porter

Bootlegger's Brewery visit their website

American Porter |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: vacax on 11-27-2009)

JazzIPA55, Dec 13, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours an opaque black with a 1 inch foamy khaki head that settles to a film on the top of the beer. Small clumps of lace stick to the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, dark chocolate, and mint/licorice notes. Taste is of dark roasted malt, dark chocolate, coffee grounds, and the mint/licorice flavor. An herbal and metallic flavor lingers on the palate after each sip. This beer has a higher level of carbonation with a thin and watery mouthfeel. Not very good for a porter. Overall, this is not that good but not bad for an attempt at adding mint to a porter.

UCLABrewN84, Dec 13, 2011

12/10/2011

Bottle purchased at Bootlegger's. I've wanted to try this beer since the first release a couple years ago. In theory, it sounds excellent. Snifter.

A: Pitch black with two fingers of light brown foam. Good retention.

S: In the nose I get roasted grains and cocoa with a well integrated and tasteful mint presence. Mint beers I've had in the past smell overwhelmingly of spearmint, dominating the other aspects of the beer. That is not the case with this beer. I detect a shadow of dark fruit.

T: Dark chocolate blends with cocoa and moderately roasted malt. As was the case in the aroma, the mint is tasteful in the flavor and goes very well with the chocolate and roast. There's a light bitterness. No alcohol is evident. Tastes like mint chocolate chip ice cream.

M: Full body with upper medium carbonation.

Overall: This is well done. Unlike other mint beers I've had, the mint in this beer does not hinder drinkability.

HopHead84, Dec 11, 2011

TicoCali, Dec 10, 2011

Popp24, Dec 09, 2011

SageO, Dec 08, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +43.1%

If you love chocolate mint ice cream or cake, this is the perfect beer for you. Poured in a lighter brown color, with a rich smell of chocolate in the glass. Drinks very smooth, even for someone who normally cannot handle dark beers. The rush of flavor was first chocolate, followed by a hint of mint while you finished the drink. The aftertaste was a heavenly medley of the perfect mix of chocolate and mint. Recommended for anyone.

timhoth, Dec 04, 2011

jlb502, Dec 03, 2011

nightwing002, Nov 27, 2011

dark, murky brown. A large two inch plus head formed quickly on the top and held on for what seemed like forever. Unrelenting as I thought it would be it finally gave way and left behind tons of gooey sticky brown lace in its wake.

Huge roasted caramel like smell, sweet and sugary mixed in with a touch of a brandy like quality upon first aroma. As it started to warm, a lot of subtle things started to come about. Lots of cinnamon and nutmeg were present, a noticeable bitter hoppiness, smokey, rustic type of taste would be the best way to describe it. Lots of caramel, nuts, and cinnamon were intermixed with a nice deep cereal and grainey base. The hops were ever present, but no where near in total control. This was really more then balanced, it was more unique and intrsting. a nice dry hopped bitter finish too!

mikesgroove, Nov 21, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -4.7%

[Poured into an large Duvel tulip glass]

I: I just picked this up because the bottles were flying off the shelves... probably because mint and chocolate is such a beautiful combination.

B: [6.1% ABV, 1 PT. 6 FL. OZ. (650ML)] Overall its comes off as meh, leaning towards generic looking(damn title font begs for attention). Labels at least include the bar essential(ABV, amount, etc), though no date(i assume it's 2011) can be found. Bottle cap is just blank and silver.

A: Black body with a large some what fluffy mocha head (med/fast dissipation with nasty bubble carbonation), and decent lacing.

S: The mint is defiantly present along with the other typical smells you get from a porter/stout.

T: Sweet malt (very light) complemented with mint are up front (far from distracting or intrusive), having the cocoa take a back seat.

M: Smooth, light bodied, low/med carbonation, and low alcohol presence.

O: I really don't get the hype. Sure the mint was there, but it wasn't on the level of peppermint patty. The mint would of been more prominent with a fuller body(too much on the watery side). I suppose you should try it at least once, due to it supposedly being rare. If you want a great porter, go for black butte or Maui Coconut.

MEsoJD, Nov 19, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +1.2%

934th Review on BA
Bottle to Mug
22 oz

2011 Bottle

App- I've used this analogy a lot lately and this one couldn't be more true. Liquid chocolate in the glass with a good two finger head. Dots of cling but not stick.

Smell- There isn't much you aren't expecting. Chocolate, malt and like Overlord says. Mint. Like a liquid peppermint patty but just tamed way down.

Taste- Damn!! I wanted a thick lush flavor profile like the pour. This was a bit thin and watery. Had a decent amount of malt and mint. Needed to be kicked up a bit. A good bit of smooth chocolate and roast.

Mouth- A good bit of a creamy/watery body and then has a nice bit of low/medium carbonation to it. Pretty smooth really.

Drink- I like the seasonals from Bootlegger's. Wildfire wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. Pumpking was good and this okay. This needed a bit more thickness to it with some more balance.

FosterJM, Nov 06, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle (2009)

(Aged for 2 years)

Thanks for sharing this one, Frank!

Dark brown in color with mahogany edges and a thin, light brown head that leaves spots and lines of lacing down the glass.

The aroma is of mint toothpaste and little else--perhaps there's a touch of roast underneath it all, but I swear this smells like Crest.

The taste follows the aroma. I don't know how this beer was when fresh, but what's left is a chalky, spearmint flavor reminiscent of mint-flavored chewing gum or toothpaste.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

This is by far the mintiest beer I've ever had, and while unique and somewhat interesting, it doesn't make for too enjoyable of a drinking experience. That being said, I'm glad I got to try it!

ehammond1, Nov 02, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -18%

Bottle shared by Frank(not sure his handle) @ jerz halloween tasting

Look: Pours a darker brown color with a 1/4 inch off white head with ok retention

Smell: If you pick up anything but mint you're a liar.

Taste: Just think of anything overly minty and that is what this beer is. Mint toothpaste, mint gum, and oh yeah more mint to the point the thing is almost undrinkable

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation with a slight dry feel

Overall: This beer is more of a novelty I believe because there is nothing good about it

DarthKostrizer, Nov 01, 2011
2.1/5  rDev -38.1%

Pours 1/2 finger of tan head. Color is black.

Aroma: Spearmint gum and peppermint schnapps. Chocolate and ice cream flavors. Sharp.

Taste: Peppermint schnapps again, chocolate, boozy, mint chocolate ice cream. Not good.

Mouthfeel: Sharp and roasted. Medium to full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. End dry with mint.

Overall, this just wasn't for me. Too much mint. I couldn't drink a lot of this.

mothman, Jan 16, 2011

Glad I was able to find this beer when I got back home to CA after Christmas Break in the Midwest.

Appearance - Pours a dark hazelnut brown with about a finger of quickly dissipating tan head that leaves little lacing. Just a hint of light shines through the class.

Smell - Dark roasted malts, chocolate, and MINT!

Taste - I will preface this by saying I freaking love mint flavor and after hearing about this beer being on tap last winter (not bottled), wanting it ever since hearing it, and then seeing a bottle of it today, I was psyched. I get three flavors, same as the nose. Malts, bitter chocolate, and amazing mint. I am quaffing this sucker. I am bummed this was the last one. I would go pick up at least another two tomorrow if they had them.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, lower carbonation yet it seems prickly?

Drinkability - I am thoroughly enjoying this beer. Extremely easy for me to drink. I may be biased because of my mint craze, but damnit, I am really enjoying this beer while putting Christmas decorations away.

SpdKilz, Jan 04, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a dark brown with a black core. Smells like chocolate and ... wait for it .... wait for it .... MINT MOTHERF****R!

Yeah. This is pretty much like drinking a liquified mint-chip girl scout cookie. Mmm. Mint, sweet milk chocolate, and a bit, just a bit, of MOAR MINT!

Oddly enough, it's a tad dry and thin, though it certainly seems sweet at first glance.

I sorta dug it as a novelty.

Overlord, Dec 29, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is 2010 re-release of this beer from a great local brewery. Poured into my St. Bernardus goblet.

A: Pour is a jet black. Mocha brown along the edge of the glass. No real head, light foaming along the edge of glass.

S: Mint first and foremost. Some vanilla which when combined with the mint produces a smell I can only describe as sasparilla.

T: Mint is very present as expected, however none of the sweetness noted in the smell was present.

M: Medium bodied beer. Medium carbonation as well. Pretty dry finish.

D: Moderate abv and with the dry finish this becomes an easy beer to drink. Assuming you like the mint flavor. I do.

Mint aside, this is a pretty good porter. I like the attempt and am glad I got to try this.

mrmiles, Dec 29, 2010

A: poured a dark brown in color with ruby brown highlights that had a thin brown head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: the mint definitely pops out on the aroma with s good chocolate presence slight roastiness and faint coffee spice notes.

T: the minty leaf character is also apparent on the palate which meshed quite well with the coffee flavors but had chocolate roasty accents.

M: the brew was medium in body with a fair amount of carbonation which a sweet, minty, mild roasty, and silky finish.

D: it drank good and was very surprised on how tasty it was considering I'm not a big fan of mint.

Gobzilla, Dec 28, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -29.8%

Had this one, or at least some form of this chocolate minty thing.

Pours dark brown. Head dissipates fast, average lacing, thick rim leaches on the outside.

Lots of mint, cocoa. Appetizing as it smells like mint ice cream.

Cigarette butts mixed in water. Tobacco and charcoal. Awful. The mint is gone, anything that would generally be savory is devoid.

Mouthfeel is watery, yet crisp with the carbonation and alcohol.

I very much like the idea of mint in a beer, this failed miserably however.

ptykozoon, Nov 28, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +14.5%

Freshly filled growler from the source itself, on to the beer:

It's black like charcoal. The head retention is poor, and a thin ring of lace hangs around on top of the beer. doesn't Lots of fresh green mint in the aroma. Some chocolate cake batter sits in the background, but the mint continues to dominate. You really need to love mint to love the aroma. A little more malt would make it better for me, but s'far, interesting.

To my satisfaction, it is minty, thought not overpowering minty. But seriously, the mint flavor is the most dominant as you taste it. There's a little bit of semi-sweet chocolate chunks in the background, and a faint roastiness to compliment the sum. The feel of the liquid is thinner than I would like. Some bubbles hit the sides of the tongue.

My first mint beer has some good to it. I would have liked more malt to it though. It's good enough as it is, but even better when I paired it with a slice of chocolate cake.

Update 1 day later: More chocolate malt is showing itself. Not quite as thin as I remember too. I'll have no problem finishing the growler, and I think I may get more.

DoubleJ, Jan 17, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +8.6%

On-tap at the Blue Palms

A: An innocent enough looking porter. Very, very dark brown bordering on black. The head is a thin layer of tan foam.

S: You can definitely pick up the mint. The beer needs to warm up just a bit for the chocolate to come out. Once it's a little below room temperature, this thing smells like a peppermint patty.

T: The mint is very strong on the palate. Again, the chocolate is somewhat subdued, but present. While there are some other flavors (chocolate, roasted malt, etc.), the mint really overpowers them.

M: A medium to full bodied beer with a moderate level of carbonation. Not quite as creamy on the tongue as I was hoping.

D: You really have to like mint to enjoy this beer. I found it nice to try, but I wouldn't want to down a whole pint of the stuff.

womencantsail, Dec 30, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +13.6%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours brown with a soft white head, fair retention, looks watery there at the end.

S: It smells like it should. York Peppermint patty, light dark chocolate, the mint stands out.

T: Just glad the mint is not over the top, that would have pissed me off a bit. I like mint, but it can certainly go overboard. Solid base porter, good roasted malt and chocolate flavours, with a moderate mint play; unique I don't know why other brewers haven't thought of this first.

M: Somewhat thin for me at 6.2%, but creamy and smooth.

D: Been wanting to try this since I heard about it, I was certainly not blown away, but a very enjoyable beer for sure.

Halcyondays, Dec 20, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +18.9%

Bootlegger's Brewery is brewing a different winter seasonal ale every year. For 2009 they have devised the Chocolate Mint Porter, a combination that works so well I am surprised this is the first time I have experienced it in a beer.

The pour is ridiculously dark brown, bordering on black, yet I can make out a bit of a cloudiness underneath the darkness. The head was a creeper, nothing at first but as I finished filling my glass two fingers of cocoa colored foam appeared. Head retention was moderate to low, and I suspect the oils of the mint leaves may be the culprit here. Ten pounds of fresh peppermint and spearmint were utilized in the boil, and an additional mint tea injection was added later on.

I recommend letting this one warm up quite a bit, I find it just gets nicer the longer it sits out. The aroma certainly exudes a mint presence, as well as cocoa, and some roast in the background. The mint can come off as a bit catty in the nose, though overall I find it quite appealing.

The flavor kicks off with a chocolate malt character that is infused with peppermint. It is evident this beer is very herbal, that mint is inescapable throughout the experience. The finish brings spearmint, roast, and a touch of cookie. The finish is not especially sweet, the mint and roast resulting in a touch of dryness. Mouthfeel is one of the highest points of this beer, it is full bodied and slippery with lightly creamy medium carbonation.

This is one of those beers that is pleasant to drink, feels nice, and introduces new flavors to my beer palate. It tastes good yes, though it is hard to judge a beer that challenges my palate. Is it too minty? Not chocolatey enough? Maybe, for my taste. But perhaps this is exactly what was intended. Hey, it is the best chocolate mint beer I have ever had.

vacax, Nov 27, 2009